PDA

View Full Version : is there going to be a world map???

Cloud Lionheart
08-11-2005, 06:23 PM
is there going to be a world map??? like the good ol games

kikimm
08-12-2005, 03:59 AM
I'm not really sure. I don't even know if anything's been said concerning that. But either way, I don't think it makes a difference. FFX/X-2 didn't have one, and it worked out just fine, I think.

:D

eestlinc
08-12-2005, 04:50 AM
they didn't have a world map? man, how lame. I like games with world maps because you can sit and look at the map.

Gameslayer
08-13-2005, 06:29 AM
FFX and FFX-2 has a world map. FFX u cant travel on tell late in the game but in FFX-2 u can travel anywhere u want after 30 min of gameplay. But u should still get FFX and X-2 (cause FFX has a GREAT storyline (middle finger to all who disagree) and FFX-2 will give u closure in its ending (if u get the GOOD ending that is) that will make up for FFX's not so happy ending.) Play em either way (in order of course), it will kill time while u wait for FFXII

Wuggly Blight
08-13-2005, 10:49 AM
This isnt the ff10 is great forum, I would hardly say that was a world map anyway, hopefully they learn from the awful 10 and do put one in, if not more in scale, although if they didnt have one but still had it in large ff11 style and not one long road with a boss on the end I would die a happy man.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Considering how much airships and flight are focused upon in the story, I really doubt they'd reprise FFX's "just select a location from a list" way of doing things.

blackchocobo9999
08-13-2005, 12:55 PM
I would like to see how they make a world map in ps2 graphics. I hope they do have a world map.

Shoeberto
08-15-2005, 09:20 PM
I dunno, I'm kind of hoping that it's just medieval-steampunk-urban city stuff. It'd be cool to have a large, open city that you could fly your ship around in.

Of course, that won't happen, but I can dream.

XxSephirothxX
08-15-2005, 09:45 PM
I'd like to see the return of a world map in one way or another, but a more realisticly done one would be a great addition to the game, considering the focus on airships.

Dreddz
08-17-2005, 10:01 PM
I bitched about this ages ago, I love the World Map
I made a thread about how I hate the fact that FFX has no world map
And all people did was saying that I silly, and that FFX is the best
I disagree
I gather that FFXII will just have the select a location
My hopes for FFXIII are clear now....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-18-2005, 05:13 PM
I gather that FFXII will just have the select a locationBased on what?

Necronopticous
08-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Hmm, I'm kind of hoping they don't go back to the traditional world map. It's a bit outdated in my opinion, and it makes the world seem really small. I liked Final Fantasy X's solution where it was a world map that you use like a menu because it made it seem like there was tons of places in the world that existed, but you couldn't go there because there was no reason to. I think they should expand on that idea rather than going back to the world map. Unless, of course, they make everything look like Esthar.

TheAbominatrix
08-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Hmm, I'm kind of hoping they don't go back to the traditional world map. It's a bit outdated in my opinion, and it makes the world seem really small. I liked Final Fantasy X's solution where it was a world map that you use like a menu because it made it seem like there was tons of places in the world that existed, but you couldn't go there because there was no reason to. I think they should expand on that idea rather than going back to the world map. Unless, of course, they make everything look like Esthar.

Agreed. I'd like it to be more expansive than that, perhaps something like the way XI works. It's really easy to believe you're actually in a real world than going from place to place on a map like in the previous games, especially when you're suddenly twice the size of the town and trees. When I go through a forest, it's nice to actually be in the middle of all the trees, instead of just watching a character's feet go through them. I think the former lends a lot more to potential exploration.

Vertisce
08-19-2005, 06:26 PM
I am pretty sure they will have a world map. I cant think of a single RPG game that didnt have a world map honestly. I know FFX and X-2 had world maps but they werent really needed or accessable till you got a ways into the game.

Necronopticous
08-19-2005, 06:48 PM
Agreed. I'd like it to be more expansive than that, perhaps something like the way XI works. It's really easy to believe you're actually in a real world than going from place to place on a map like in the previous games, especially when you're suddenly twice the size of the town and trees. When I go through a forest, it's nice to actually be in the middle of all the trees, instead of just watching a character's feet go through them. I think the former lends a lot more to potential exploration.Actually, I'm pretty sure it will be done in the style of Final Fantasy XI, where everything is large and to scale. In fact, I am sure that towns are to scale, so when you approach a town or kingdom, you see it towering in front of you, rather than a miniature representation of it that you collide into to enter.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-19-2005, 06:59 PM
Yeah, that's what I'd expect.

catastrophycat01
08-25-2005, 10:33 AM
it would be better if there was a world map where you could manually fly to all the cities and towns than just going there automatically

ThroneofDravaris
08-26-2005, 04:19 PM
If they’ve spent all this time making this damn game and HAVEN’T made an entire 1:1 scale world that can be traveled, I’m going to be pissed…

Vincentsinnerdemon
08-26-2005, 09:33 PM
I thought that I heard that instead of the random encounters of monsters in 1 through 10-2 you fight monsters in the FFXI sence where u just go up and then attack. If this is true Id be extremely disappointed in this game. The random battles are the main source of experience in the other FFs so id like that to stay.

Im also for the world map since I felt a little cramped in FFX where i couldnt just wander around and try to find hidden secrets in the game like I do in FFVII on my gold choco.

Not to say FFX and X-2 were bad games cause i thought they were a close second to FFVII. but the lack of a world map just wasnt my style.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-26-2005, 10:03 PM
No World Map, I heard the Airships work in the same manner as FFXI, real-time ferries.

TheAbominatrix
08-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I thought that I heard that instead of the random encounters of monsters in 1 through 10-2 you fight monsters in the FFXI sence where u just go up and then attack. If this is true Id be extremely disappointed in this game. The random battles are the main source of experience in the other FFs so id like that to stay.

Prepare for extreme disappointment then.

Wuggly Blight
08-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Oh dear god, there not following the X syle again...? If its just X dressed up as something else, I'm finding a new series.

Vincentsinnerdemon
08-28-2005, 06:56 AM
Well then if there isnt gonna be random battle incounters or a world map then its on my backlist of games to buy but its still yet to be released so il still buy it but maybe il wait about a year when the price will go down

Sepho
08-28-2005, 09:14 AM
I wasn't a real big fan of FFX's Pick a Location system. Instantly transporting to any given location via a list of commands meant the world felt more confined than one where you physically walk to your destination.

But I don't think it's really the new thing in RPG map systems, so I'm thinkin' I'll see a world map in FF12.

Dreddz
08-29-2005, 11:40 AM
No screens, Square hasnt said anything, And FFXII is just around the bend.

Rostum
08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
No screens, Square hasnt said anything, And FFXII is just around the bend.

Oh I get it! So it must be exactly like FFX!

Wuggly Blight
08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
I think its the n00by X fans like to think that X was what FF is really about and thus all FF's will be like that.

Dreddz
08-29-2005, 04:03 PM
All I said is that I dont think that FFXII will have a world map
And if im right, you lot can get down and kiss my shoes...............

Primus Inter Pares
08-31-2005, 03:56 PM
Well, it's very impratical for it to have a world map as we know it, there's just no real way to make it work with a DVD disc, (unless they make it really bad representative graphics) it just would take up to much space if they were to make it any good.

So, either it will be somewhat like the FFX thing, or a new system all together...

Sephiroths Clone
08-31-2005, 05:50 PM
Well, it's very impratical for it to have a world map as we know it

Agreed World Maps just wouldnt work with the new battle system in which u can see the monsters now...theyd be everywhere on the map!

boys from the dwarf
09-28-2005, 07:29 AM
there wont be a world map. or at leat not like the old ones something more similar to FFX. the world map though wouldnt work very well on newer FFs though.