PDA

View Full Version : Less Older Gamers....

Dreddz
08-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I was reading one of my old threads again, and I found an argument that I had with ******* and it really ticked me off
I claim that there are not alot of Gamers over 30, not saying there none, sure there are people that play games after 30, but not as many as younger people....
I hate it when people say that there more Gamers that are older when there not..........

Discuss...

Erdrick Holmes
08-11-2005, 09:03 PM
Old gamers like me are a dying breed. Gamers like us are the kind that were actually around when older classic games were around in console form and were easy to legally obtain. I predict nobody in the future will be able to appreciate old school games like we did.

Discord
08-12-2005, 01:28 AM
Nah, its just starting. The PC is not that old and you just need few generations to breed the real gaming culture.*sagenod*(sounds weird eh?)

Rengori
08-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Old gamers like me are a dying breed. Gamers like us are the kind that were actually around when older classic games were around in console form and were easy to legally obtain. I predict nobody in the future will be able to appreciate old school games like we did.*Starts gunning down anyone using ROMS.*

darkchrono
08-12-2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah there are not alot of gamers over 30 because home video game systems have not really been extremely popular for all that long (you have to remember video games did not become that popular until the late 80's. And most of the people who played them then were no older than 14-15 or so).

So that generation of gamers are only now reaching their mid-late twenties and probably at least half of them still play games.

So though there is really no one over 30 who plays video games in this day and age. 10-20 years from now however there will probably be alot of people 30 and older playing games.

Which could be a good thing for future video game stories. Maybe then it won't be so common place in games to have 6-15 year olds going out on journeys to save the world. They will leave that for the older folks to do.

Rengori
08-12-2005, 02:19 AM
Actually, most video game heroes are 16-30 years old, in some cases older.

darkchrono
08-12-2005, 02:30 AM
In general I think in most games the very central main characters are usually teenagers. And then they will have some secondary characters who range from pre-teen to around 30 or so. But in most cases the key central characters are the young ones with the older characters playing more of a secondary role.

Spammerman
08-12-2005, 02:50 AM
do all older gamers play tetris?

MecaKane
08-12-2005, 04:37 AM
I claim that there are not alot of Gamers over 30, not saying there none, sure there are people that play games after 30, but not as many as younger people....
I hate it when people say that there more Gamers that are older when there not..........
Who says there's more? Obviously there wouldn't be. It's about 25 years since home systems came out, more children being born would pick up gaming than the people in thier late teens and twenties who've picked up gaming in its early stages.
But that's still no reason to say that there's not a lot of older gamers out there. 2 year olds aren't who supported the NES into the huge sucess it was. And many of those late teens early twenties gamers are probably still at it now. As well as many even older people who've picked it up since then because it's smurfing cool.

Old gamers like me are a dying breed. Gamers like us are the kind that were actually around when older classic games were around in console form and were easy to legally obtain. I predict nobody in the future will be able to appreciate old school games like we did.
wtf, we're not old, that's not even what this thread's about. But:
There've already been a lot of remakes, for GBA mostly, of NES generation games. As for being able to "appreciate" them, that's like some old fart saying none of us can appreciate older music.

Madame Adequate
08-12-2005, 05:11 AM
Erm, the demographics are generally considered to be 18-35 male, for gamers. I know female gamers younger than that, but it's probably not completely awry. I do know many people over the age of 30 who play games though, you meet especially a lot if you play MMOs and such. Not so much with WoW, it seems, but with FFXI and CoH I met plenty of gamers aged 25+, more than were younger than that it seemed.

T-MaN
08-12-2005, 05:43 AM
There are a lot of 35+ gamers in my areas. Whenever I go to any LAN parties, I always end up meeting this new person whose age is near thirties. I'm glad that there are people at that age who take time off to play games. It takes out the whole meaning that games are only for children. Anyway, I'm still playing games my whole life no matter what happens or what anyone says.

SomethingBig
08-12-2005, 11:37 PM
I still have a Nintendo Power Glove. :)

There are lots of 30+ people who post on internet forums, so I wouldn't doubt the idea of having a large amount of 30+ year old gamers.