PDA

View Full Version : Text-based MUDs

Discord
08-12-2005, 02:48 AM
I actually used to play text based MUDs quite a lot before, so I just though of asking what you think about them?

If you got no clue what they are you can take http://www.achaea.com as an example.

Markus. D
08-12-2005, 02:13 PM
im about to start playing as soon as it loads... i hope its as enjoyable as you say it is.

ps: i dont know what a text based mud thingo is.

Meat Puppet
08-12-2005, 02:15 PM
I had mud on my shoes once but I just wiped it off. Mud on my feet, on the other hand, is a whole different story. :spin:

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Highly Boring....

Markus. D
08-12-2005, 03:13 PM
dude how can you keep up with the reading.

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezezeze

anyway, its good so far, very epic.
ps: game uses to much epic.

Shoeberto
08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
I had a friend that played these at school through Telnet. I never really got it...too many commands, too much going on.

Discord
08-12-2005, 06:40 PM
It quite weird at the start. You need to get used to the quick text and the moving around system. It isn't an easy thing to start, especially since you haven't got any graphics and need to memorize the commands, but it gets really good after a few hours.

Firstly, you get a really detailed world. Some say that its more of a different life than a game, but that might be a little over the top. You've got all sorts of things to do like

Hunting the monsters, like you do in FF
Doing quests, like in FF
Join the organizations known as Houses where you can team up with others. Note that Houses are not regular clans, but more of a Guild like organizations
Start you own business by buying and selling goods, later also making jewelry and clothes
etc

Finally, unlike many other online games you need to get to know people in order to really progress in the world, so the social factor plays a huge role too.

Now you also might become a ruler of one of the 6 player run cities, by being elected by others or lead a divine order as well as other organizations.

The most important thing about starting with a MUD is having patience. It will get really good if you do not have any prejudice about playing a TELNET game without graphics and sounds and if you spend enough time by getting used to the enviroment. Yes its not easy at start.

The really good thing about this particular MUD is that most people will not kick you butt if you are a newbie, but will probably help you out.

Thats about it. Did that just sound like an advertisement? Anyhow, its fun so try it:)

EDIT: Ah yes and DO NOT make a character of the opposite sex. No point in doing so cause you don't see yourself anyways and as you will see later, the game features such things as marriages, so you as a guy, you might not want to play a girl that marries another guy:D

Markus. D
08-13-2005, 03:04 AM
I'm about to play it again, hopefully i will get to battle today.

i will also test out the pvp system once im good enough (i play mmos for the sake of pvp)

KentaRawr!
08-13-2005, 03:43 PM
My FIRST conversation in a text based mud!

Me: "Hello."

Computer: "Could you please rephrase?"

Me: "Um...hi?"

You raise your hand and greeting and say "Hi!"

Me: "Cool!"

Computer: "I didn't quite catch that."

Me: "I said 'Cool'."

Computer: "Once more?"

Me: "Could you please rephrase?"

Computer: "Could you please rephrase?"

Me: "NO!"

Computer: "Brilliant! Could you dumb it down a little?"

Then I learned how to play the game. It's a pretty good game. :)

Drift
08-13-2005, 04:17 PM
Discworld MUD for the win!