PDA

View Full Version : Arrrg... I didn't need another reason to hate Sony...

DJZen
08-12-2005, 05:56 AM
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3666

What the H? Do they really have nothing better to do? Hong Kong has a HUGE black market piracy industry. Hey, I've got an idea, how about we NOT crack down on the honest businesses and go after the shadey bootleggers instead? This is one of the most ridiculous pieces of ridiculous I've seen in the gaming industry in a very long time...

Way to go, Sony. Way to go...

Hawkeye
08-12-2005, 06:19 AM
Its gonna happen sooner or later. If you release something in one part of the world, everybody else gets it too. Also, what stops Ebay buyers from doing this as well?

WildRaubtier
08-12-2005, 06:27 AM
go after the shadey bootleggers instead?
Good luck with that.

Madame Adequate
08-12-2005, 06:32 AM
Its gonna happen sooner or later. If you release something in one part of the world, everybody else gets it too. Also, what stops Ebay buyers from doing this as well?

Yet more evidence that free trade = win? I think so. People want to buy and sell, there's no justification for preventing it. But still, they'll try.

If they think this is bad, wait to see what happens if the PS3 does get delayed as much as rumors suggest.

Meat Puppet
08-12-2005, 08:07 AM
You shouldn't hate someone until you know them intimately enough to love them.

DMKA
08-12-2005, 11:17 AM
And what, may I ask, is wrong about what Sony is doing? o__O

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 12:15 PM
why does everything seemed banned in UK, sure they were selling it to Europe, but Sony couldnt care less if they sold it anywhere else...do they want Europe to suffer
Anywayz, I bought my PSP on eBay like 4 months ago and the PSP hasnt even been released over here in UK

Shoeberto
08-12-2005, 05:52 PM
Lik-sang exports a lot of obscure Asian gaming peripherals, mostly from Japan. They were shipping out Japanese PSPs to the UK, which Sony sees as something wrong and is taking them to court.

That's pretty dumb.

Erdrick Holmes
08-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Sony's dumb to begin with. They find something that could end up making them a profit and they piss themselves over it.

Raistlin
08-12-2005, 06:28 PM
Once I buy something, I am free to do whatever the hell I want with it - which includes selling it overseas.

Where is Sony taking them to court? If it's in Hong Kong, Sony'll most likely lose. Which is a good thing, from what I've read.

Chris
08-12-2005, 06:30 PM
The only good things about Sony is that they make crappy thing so people can complain about it online or just go outside and shout it out to the world: I HATE SONY.

Peace out.

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 06:48 PM
Now Now people, Sonys not all bad, for they did build the Playstation..

lordblazer
08-12-2005, 07:04 PM
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3666

What the H? Do they really have nothing better to do? Hong Kong has a HUGE black market piracy industry. Hey, I've got an idea, how about we NOT crack down on the honest businesses and go after the shadey bootleggers instead? This is one of the most ridiculous pieces of ridiculous I've seen in the gaming industry in a very long time...

Way to go, Sony. Way to go...
MY dad was a logistics manager of Sony in the branch here in the states.Man he said there was a lot of bullcrap which is why he left in June.lo.Found a better job that pays more.He use to be a manager in AmeriQuest and oyu know he ruined a bunch of peoples lives blah blah lah..

anyway Sony are biatches lol forget about aht company.I kept telling those Sony fans that they are the microsoft of the east. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.They didn't wanna listen.

Discord
08-12-2005, 07:07 PM
I suppose Sony can forbid the sales of their goods overseas, afterall they've got the pattent for the PSP and can do what they like. Most probably, the company has bought the PSP for a lower price under the condition of not selling them in EU. A regular buyer, pays more for a good than a mass retailing company, thus the rules are different as well as the profits that one pulls from it.

But alas, its a pain that Japanese get everything before us. Its their good right though.

EDIT: Microsoft rules and so does Sony, but not Sony Ericsson!

lordblazer
08-12-2005, 07:12 PM
I suppose Sony can forbid the sales of their goods overseas, afterall they've got the pattent for the PSP and can do what they like. Most probably, the company has bought the PSP for a lower price under the condition of not selling them in EU. A regular buyer, pays more for a good than a mass retailing company, thus the rules are different as well as the profits that one pulls from it.

But alas, its a pain that Japanese get everything before us. Its their good right though.
they have a patent but the thing is people buy it from them.I mean ok you and me are consumers ok. Now I bought a PSP and I sent it to you in lets say you live in Austria.Ok so I sent it to ya and you wired me the compensation money. Alrighty. Now I legall bought that game. I didn't steal it. The thing I hate about Japaneese gaming companies like Sony is the fact that. You know. European games and American games are out int eh free market but it takes forever in a day for a game from Japan to come out. Japan has a completely different gaming market when I went there. I mean someone who has a Japaneese PSP and bought it form Sony. Can do whatever the hell they want with that PSP. I can see if this business didn't bother buying the PSP's from Sony before selling it. Anyway this whole thing is crazy.Due to the fact that lol Sony is corrupt lol. The thing Sony is doing is splitting the worldwide gaming market between japaneese and non japaneese games. I mean heck I wanna play a japaneese game to see what they got but can't because my PSP PS2 and PS is american.In a way it does benefit Sony and they are a large corporation.

Its kinda like that question.

Do you think people who cheat in Golf cheat in business?

Discord
08-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Well you see there are lots of legal issues that Sony needs to cope with, like the tolls and the taxes for the sales on the european markets. Then they might also need permission from the states and other documents in order to sell their good. The company that exports Sony's goods and is acting not according to the contract, is therefore commiting a crime. Sony's not doing anything new and I think that this case is much more reasonable then many other cases that took place on the world market lately.

Raistlin
08-12-2005, 08:20 PM
MaxGrin: unless you have a contract with a company stating otherwise, once you buy their goods, those goods are yours. You can destroy them, use them, or sell them to someone else. There shouldn't be any other considerations.

Black Mage
08-12-2005, 08:25 PM
This is actually the second time Sony has sued Lik-Sang. The first time, Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft sued them for selling mod-chips and other similar items. Lik-Sang lost that case hard, and couldn't even talk about it due to the ruling. Of course, I think that one was legit.

This one, not so. I hope Lik-Sang wins.

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 08:36 PM
Lik-sang should get punished, they are seeling goodz that should not be sold over-seas, sure they can do it, but Sony is getting in the crap for it, and there the ones making the blooming stuff, the Modchip thing should not have had any discussion that Lik-Sand were in the wrong.
However, if people on eBay want to sell, I think they should, as its there choice.

Black Mage
08-12-2005, 08:56 PM
Lik-sang should get punished, they are seeling goodz that should not be sold over-seas, sure they can do it, but Sony is getting in the crap for it, and there the ones making the blooming stuff, the Modchip thing should not have had any discussion that Lik-Sand were in the wrong.
However, if people on eBay want to sell, I think they should, as its there choice.

What's the difference? It's the exact same thing Lik-Sang is doing, only with a fixed price, and through their own medium.

That's such a hypocritical statement it's ridiculous.

NM
08-12-2005, 09:17 PM
Sony are planning to sell the UK PSP at £179.99. ($326 at current exchange rate using xe.com.)

You can buy one from Lik-Sang for £138 ($250). Thats the real reason Sony want's to stop them if you ask me.

Maxico
08-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Its Sony product and I am not surprised that they want control over its distribution.

I was wondering though, could this have anything to do with the 2.0 firmware. It sounds to me like they are worried that people will choose not to upgrade and want to eliminate the less secure versions from the start.

Zeldy
08-12-2005, 09:48 PM
The only good things about Sony is that they make crappy thing so people can complain about it online or just go outside and shout it out to the world: I HATE SONY.

Peace out.

Raistlin
08-12-2005, 10:36 PM
So why can I buy a PSP and sell it to someone in Europe, but Lik-Sang can't?

Its Sony product and I am not surprised that they want control over its distribution.
It doesn't belong to them once they sell it. If I buy a PSP, it's mine.

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 11:17 PM

The sell them packaged and cheaper to countrys that shouldnt have them, the people before already bought the PSP instead of buying in bulk.
Also, why was the PSP delayed by so much in UK, it hasnt even come out yet in UK ?
While im still playing on mine mwahahahahahahahaha

Discord
08-13-2005, 12:31 AM

It doesn't belong to them once they sell it. If I buy a PSP, it's mine.

Oh gods! Don't you just get the point. There is a difference between selling things in masses and selling things per piece. Its the same thing with cars, you can buy a car, use it and sell it to your friend without any taxes. You can't however buy 50 cars and sell them to your friends with no taxes.

Clearly, the company was not allowed to sell it over seas. They've probably got the PSPs at 90% of the shop price and thus have an absolutely different case than an E-bay seller has. Unlike the normal clients they have a contract, which states exactly what they aren't allowed to do. If Sony takes them to court, its only because they have a legal argument against the company, i.e. no oversea sales. You want it cheaper, you need to follow the rules.

Considering the company's reputation, well I'm clearly on the side of Sony, even though I'll have to wait for the PSP.

Raistlin
08-13-2005, 01:12 AM
The sell them packaged and cheaper to countrys that shouldnt have them, the people before already bought the PSP instead of buying in bulk.
Countries that "shouldn't have them?" So, if I buy a PSP and sell it to someone else, can the manufacturer say "that person shouldn't have one yet!" What about if I buy a PSP, and then move to a country that doesn't have it? I could buy a truckload of 'em in the US, then hop a plane to the UK and sell the lot of 'em. Is that illegal? Why?

Once a company sells a product, that product becomes the responsibility of the buyer. It is the buyer's responsibility to dispose of that product as he sees fit - by using it, destroying it, or selling it. The seller cannot claim a right as to what the buyer does with it, because it is no longer theirs. Private property is private property.

Oh gods! Don't you just get the point. There is a difference between selling things in masses and selling things per piece. Its the same thing with cars, you can buy a car, use it and sell it to your friend without any taxes. You can't however buy 50 cars and sell them to your friends with no taxes.
Unfortunately, there is often a difference. Though there shouldn't be. However, it's not an issue of "mass selling." I could mass-sell paperclips and not pay taxes. It's the money involved(which is still wrong, but whatyagonnado).

Endless
08-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Sony are planning to sell the UK PSP at £179.99. ($326 at current exchange rate using xe.com.)

You can buy one from Lik-Sang for £138 ($250). Thats the real reason Sony want's to stop them if you ask me.

Quoted for emphasis. That's the one and only reason why Sony is taking Lik-Sang to court. Now, why would European buy Japanese PSPs? Because it happens that the UMDs in Japan and Europe use the same region code (the same thing goes with DVDs, in fact), which means that a Japanese PSP can play everything released in both Japan and Europe without any trick/mod. So why would a consumer pay £180 instead of £138? He wouldn't unless he's forced to, which is what Sony is seeking to get.

Dreddz
08-13-2005, 12:32 PM
I bought a Japanese PSP and 2 games for £180, Seems like a good buy when looking at the price tag for £179 for just the system in UK

Also, why was the PSP delayed by months in UK ?

Mr.Cal
08-13-2005, 06:07 PM
There is no way Lik-Sang can lose.

Sony is almost bullying really. They should have released import guidelines for their products or something BEFORE they distributed PSPs to Lik-Sang, rather then the moment they found that they were importing.

A major corporation ganging up on a much smaller one will only lead to the court's descision being in Lik-Sang's favour.

Anyway, they can make a real packet from importing. This shoddy little ps2-fodder won't touch DS's originality anyway. It's just an elegant way of selling you something you've already got, but cost them as little as five quid to make! But the gullible British bods over here (which unfortunately includes myself) will fall for the importing option because of the diliberately imposed region free functionality for the games.

I've been turned off the idea of buying a PSP now I've heard about Sony's pathetic case and the dead-pixel problems with that crappy Samsung screen…!

Maxico
08-13-2005, 06:48 PM
I find it funny the way that people who own PSP's think that they are great while people who don't endlessly go on about how terrible it is and how the DS is infinitely superior.

Anyway Sony probably saw such a large company importing its goods very cheaply as a threat. It would decrease sales when they launch in the UK and would essentially lose them money. I really don't see why this comes as a surprise to most people.

DJZen
08-14-2005, 05:27 AM

My beef with it is that Lik-Sang is actually an honest business. Hong Kong has a LOT of problems with piracy. A LOT. Lik-Sang might sell imports (which no company likes, their theory being that the 10 or so people who mod their systems are going to ruin their business) and other gray area items, but they're actual vendors. They sell authentic Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft consoles, and have tons of other game related items that you're gonna be hard pressed to find if you live in the US or Europe. This is the entire reason importing exists as a market. The fact is, piracy hurts the gaming industry much more than importing. Sony taking legal action against honest retailers like Lik-Sang is ridiculous. They might as well crack down on blockbuster for letting people rent the games at a fraction of the price, which OBVIOUSLY encourages pirates to make copies.