PDA

View Full Version : wow vs ffxi

BlitzOn
08-14-2005, 03:50 AM
Wich game is the best? "i know this is a final fantasy forum" but i must ask! :p

personaly i LOVE ffxi ofcourse :love:

Lionx
08-14-2005, 06:29 AM
It depends, obviously i like FFXI more, however WoW is more for the casual fan from what i heard. Omecle played it and i think its more accurate if he said it.

WoW from what i hear is more casual, you can do anything at anytime you want. However their class balance is more the "overpower it!" or "nerf it!" kind of manuvuers. Their end-game only relies on instances from what i heard which is...well good that instances are there, but bad that its all you get and i heard you go through ALOT just to get..1-2piece of armor which everyone jacks. I heard its also BAD to be in a party since people are morons. And other stupid things like that.

However WoW has the plus that everything is casual and you can achieve something in half an hour. Quests for Exp is good too, as well as some of the emotes and PvP(if you are a fan of, i am not really though however, like it better as side thing).

FFXI's bad points is its party system. Granted its also a GOOD thing, but its not flawless especially with party demands for mages and the overabundance of melee jobs they make. However i think its more a community thing especially when you look at the NIN job which wasnt supposed to tank and now can and very well too. Another thing is the big gap for story even though story is one of this strong parts, and other little things. Like time investment

However FFXI also has the party system that, once you get the right people, can totally change the experience of partying forever, soloing for the most part is not that liked after if you are in a good party. Another thing is life in the NPCs, where they arent mechanical get item x so i can give you item y quests(and the NPCs have personalities and memorable characteristics too), and they have story behind each quest and mission and reigon, and each of them when uncovered is really really great. The game is designed for more hardcore people, and things take longer to be done, however it makes the reward that much more appealing and have value.

The job balance is also more than just a simple nerf or beef up and they always find it to be balanced and everything to be integrated into the world VanaDiel. The story is also original, in which WoW's story, there is no story but lore from the OTHER Warcraft games, and that makes FFXI's story way more original.

So they are both different games, i still think FFXI is way more superior especialy after WoW's hype, however different stuff for different people.

Vertisce
08-19-2005, 03:08 PM
I just joined this site today but I can answer this for you. I have played FFXI, WoW, and EQ2. Currently I am only playing EQ2 but only because I cant afford FFXI along with it and my wife preferres a game where she doesnt delevel when she dies...lol. Anyway...WoW in my opinion sucks. FFXI is better than WoW by leaps and bounds. EQ2 on the other hand is also a great game but not better or worse than FFXI in any respect.

Miriel
08-19-2005, 05:53 PM
WoW doesn't have anything on FFXI.

NickM890
08-20-2005, 01:42 PM
Honestly why would you post something like "which is better ffxi or wow?" under a FFXI forum? It likes going to a football game and asking whos better Greenbay or San Franciso when your at the homefield of Greenbay you know everyone is going to say Green bay. It just stupid. Go to a forum that isn't biased toward one game and I guarantee you WoW will win over FFXI.

Lionx
08-20-2005, 01:43 PM
On what basis? O_o Besides the popularity of Warcraft in the states.

NickM890
08-20-2005, 01:46 PM
Ok lets say you go to a forum located in Europe middle section Germany and all that, where both games are well respected. WoW would still win. I'm just angry that someone would post a topic like this under an FFXI forum. I'm just getting this off my back and trying to show everyone how biased it is.

Lionx
08-20-2005, 01:48 PM
So just because i like FFXI more means that what i say is not valid for me?

I dont think Europe is that high into games as much as say the States or Asia at least thats what i gather from my friends in Europe. Its either you have the time to enjoy the game or you dont. I still dont see how WoW is better than FFXI or the other way around too (in general terms pf course, personally i prefer FFXI because it has things that WoW do not).

Some people play both games before and some preffered to still play WoW and some preffered to come back to FFXI. How is it that WoW is infinetly superior like you claim?

NickM890
08-20-2005, 01:51 PM
I'm not stating that your post is invalid, I just don't see why the starter of this thread would post it here out of all the places he or she could have. Explain to me why and I will leave this topic alone and complain about it to myself. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, I'm just curious why it would be posted here.

Lionx
08-20-2005, 01:54 PM
Go to a forum that isn't biased toward one game and I guarantee you WoW will win over FFXI.

I am mainly talking about that.

I just don't see why the starter of this thread would post it here out of all the places he or she could have

Because he can frequent this forum and get opinions here too? That and its a forum where theres more respectable members here than some of the more main MMO forums where theres tons of retards that give the wrong reasons for things. >_> The only other forum that comes close is ffxionline where there are objective posts about both games from people who played both and give their MMO experiences.

NickM890
08-20-2005, 02:01 PM
WoW is better because theres so many things you could do you can do epic 40+ man raids, you can mount on beasts, you can mine, blacksmith, leatherwork and about 4 more other things and the World is huge. But it isn't the greatest game in the world, yes it gets boring just like any other game, it takes awhile to reach level cap and there is no story to it at all and the quests are all the same. WoW is good for playing with people not soloing. Just my opinion though, probably going to get a bunch of people after me on this forum but just stating that in which I think is good.

Lionx
08-20-2005, 02:12 PM
Dynamis is a 64 man raid sorta into alternate dimensions of the real world for loot and AF2. As for mounts thats limited to Chocobos, its more an economy thing than anything else though.

In FFXI you can Harvest(herbs and stuff), Excavate(bones), Mine, Fish(fun mini game xD tug tug), and Lumberjack as well. Gardening if you wanna count that. Theres also blacksmithing and leathercrafting, as well as Alchemy, Clothcraft, Goldsmithing, Boneworking, Carpentry, and even Chocobo digging(its a skill yes). Its harder to skill up yes, but that makes it so its profitable and not everyone can be max and make the skill reletively worthless because everyone can make top gear even though i know most gear that is good is soul bound (what i heard anyway...so why craft then? I am curious).

FFXI's world isnt huge? >< Or is it the Zone thing you arent into? I prefer it because its less strain on the server.

And i am curious, i thought WoW was easier to level than FFXI. How hard can it be to reach level cap compared to FFXI? Even with their new exp curve redefined its still not that easy..i am @23000 right now and i think around 70 its 40000 til the next level.

From my friends i also heard partying is a detriment, like i have this friend who played Warrior in WoW and just when he can manage hate the mages or high damage dealers(forget the class) jack the hate back, and i think they didnt die too which is kinda not that party oriented i feel. Unless you count instances, but Dynamis is similar i think.

You are free to feel WoW is better thats fine, i just dont see it because there seems to be similar things in FFXI as well. Especially with the comment that anyone unbiased would like WoW O_o Those are just features in the game that FFXI has a similar thing to.

NickM890
08-20-2005, 02:16 PM
I've been playing WoW for 3 or 4 weeks straight now and I'm level 30 or so from what I hear to reach level cap it takes 2 months of straight play, if it was casual play I'm guessing 3 or 4 months. Sorry about all that stuff I said earlier I'm just extremly tired and anything aggrivates me right now. Been up for 24 hrs :D

Lionx
08-20-2005, 02:37 PM
I dunno i heard (could be just an myth though) that this dude reached 60 in 1week-ish >_>; Haha xD For FFXI it takes way more than 4months if you wanna be good, i mean yeah you can reach 75 fast...if you powergrind...but i still think its way longer than what people think especially compared to WoW..

NickM890
08-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Maybe if he played all the time no sleep unless he was using exploits or something

lordblazer
08-20-2005, 08:00 PM
FF11 wins because wow doesnt have a Bard job.

exodia
09-05-2005, 11:36 AM
lionx if you havent played the game don't talk about it.
Simple as that, if you haven't experienced it to the level cap at least then don't believe here say. Which is why I won't give my impression on FFXI, personally I think it would be a good game but can't pay for both :P.

I personally have a level 60 mage and a few alts on WoW and
it is designed to be either played solo or in parties. the class balances aren't designed on nerf's or buff's but on group PvE AND group PvP. There are also PvP, PvE, RP and soon RP-PvP servers for what ever you like. The 40 man raids in WoW take months of practice to get the first boss tactics down pat then there is the final boss which in Molten Core doesn't have a 100% stratigy for a successful kill. You can play this game as casually or hardcore as you want and it doesnt penalies which one you are.

About your warrior friend lionx he must just have a bad run with groups or needs to go level and get in good groups/parties. A good mage will not pull aggro from the tank. If a person gets a bad reputation (eg. always ninjas, can't play there class) then it gets harder for them to find groups, thus making it easier to get good quality groups.

Personally I love WoW I'm in a good guild (like a linkshell), and have heaps of fun. It doesn't really get boring (for me anyway) and if I do get bored with my mage I can go make an alt and not have to pay extra money per month. A good reputation with the community and a good guild is a big part of this game.

Thank you for reading
Cernunnos (my game tag, i made this EoFF account when i was younger and liked Yu-Gi-Og lol)

Lionx
09-05-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey just because i never played the game doesnt mean i dont have opinions of it as well. You have every right to give your opinions of the game contary to mine.

About your warrior friend lionx he must just have a bad run with groups or needs to go level and get in good groups/parties. A good mage will not pull aggro from the tank. If a person gets a bad reputation (eg. always ninjas, can't play there class) then it gets harder for them to find groups, thus making it easier to get good quality groups.

Maybe so, but he complained mighty lot about this. That and i heard the ninja looting and stuff are kinda prevailent on bad players, however it seems way to easy to make a new character and continue. You might never know i guess. He HAS lvled up to 60 and has said that just about every group does not care about party dynamics and is a detriment for the most part to party. Thats him.

I think a huge reason why you get to pay another dollar for another char is that you can change jobs as much as you please on one character, making new characters kind of a big advantage as people will have tons of mules and storage space on them.

But my opinion still stands, i seen more than enough people who are hardcore quit than not.

Spammerman
09-06-2005, 04:21 AM
WoW, whate oither game lets u have a tiger as a pet, and right a jaguar?

Lord Chainsaw
09-06-2005, 05:03 AM
I don't know how wonderful riding a jaguar is, but the very first MMO I ever played, the most basic EQOA on the PS2, gave shamans tigers, panthers, and lions as path pets. I did play a shaman once, got him to level 20 and decided to make him into a joke character when I got fed up with "sow plz" tells.

I'm currently playing Final Fantasy XI, Everquest 2, and World of Warcraft. I have a wizard in each game, and an alt rogue in World of Warcraft.

Although I'm not very far into EQ2 or WoW right now, out of the three games EQ2 seems to be the most promising. World of Warcraft seems like it has much more to do at first, but when it comes to end game content you just can't match Everquest. Period. Remember the Plain of Time from EQ1? Quarm? The Sleeper? I suspect what is hurting it is the huge system requirements in order to play.

FFXI I suspect I'll get back into, but I really have to muster the strength to play it because grouping is such a hassle. It seems that all I do on FFXI is farm and sell. I've got a hefty bankroll at 2 million for a level 41 blackmage, but I don't do much partying.

Of course, when Phantasy Star Universe comes out I will drop one of these three games. But Sonic Team also has to step up and show they aren't going to get bossed around by script kiddies.

Lionx
09-06-2005, 05:55 AM
Or Ice you can take it easy and play ballista or something like that. Its fun when you play ballista and although 300-450 exp isnt alot its a better experience than say grinding all the time unless you got time to spare and need to get up quick. Its been a blast playing it for me.

Although i heard WoW has gotten alot better since i read up about it...i heard it was utter crap before but it seems to have gotten alot better now in regards to what i knew before. so thats good :3

escobert
09-06-2005, 07:47 AM
Wow, reading some of Areanets plans for guid wars. Pretty much it seems they wanna do whatever the fans want. They're taking ideas for all sorts of things. I think guild wars is going to end up being a vedry fan based game. www.GuildWars.com