PDA

View Full Version : What is a dead end job?

Dingo Jellybean
08-15-2005, 07:10 PM
I know this seems obvious, but me and my co-workers were wondering what the real definition is? They define it as a job that has no room for advancement or promotion.

I see it as a job that requires no real skills (I.E. a degree) and that you can easily be replaced.

Chris
08-15-2005, 07:12 PM
A dead end job is a job that blocks you, mentally. A job that has no purpose or joy.

Polyonymous
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I would also see it the same way you do. I can see where the others are comming from, but eventually there is a point where you can't be promoted anymore, does that make it a dead end job?

Meat Puppet
08-15-2005, 07:13 PM
when you're sleeping with the bosses daughter and you just happen to be working for the mafia

Silmaril
08-15-2005, 07:17 PM
The most dead-end job belonged to the male secretary of the principal of my former college. The man sat everyday, for eight hours, in a dingy dark room, with a squealing ceiling fan, behind a heinous chipboard desk, filing files he didn't care about and running for coffee and chips for a fat man who needed exercise.

Old Manus
08-15-2005, 07:20 PM
The one where you make road signs.

Shoeberto
08-15-2005, 07:46 PM
I agree with your co-worker's definition of a job with no room for advancement.

Rye
08-15-2005, 09:30 PM
I agree with you. Kinda like Burger King. Dingo is back. :)

eestlinc
08-15-2005, 09:49 PM
A dead-end job is a job with no room for advancement.

I can think of a number of jobs that require no skill yet have plenty of room for advancement.

Yamaneko
08-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Professional forum poster.

Ageless_Bum
08-16-2005, 01:12 AM
Ill give you one example that is both dead end and not dead end. A construction worker. One who is working via a contract will only have the job unitl this particular "job" is over. This is probably the most extreme case of a dead end job. When its over, you no longer have a job. But one who is a construction worker by a company (or more speacifically through a company) Works the same, but has a chance for andvancement. He has no concern about loosing steady work (in as much as he is an asset and not a detriment), but just like the guy who is contract, it is not neccesarily a "skilled" position.

(Note: to anyone who does this line of work. I know how tough it is and do know the amount of skill and knowledge that goes into it. I was just using the example of "Skilled" used above)

Over all though, those who describe their jobs as dead end, are those that are dissatisfied with their place in whatever occupation they have.

Peegee
08-16-2005, 03:11 AM
All jobs are dead end jobs until you work for yourself in such a way that other people make money for you.

Everybody should be entrepreneurs -- then nobody will have employees and we'll all starve to death.

Raistlin
08-16-2005, 03:15 AM
I know this seems obvious, but me and my co-workers were wondering what the real definition is? They define it as a job that has no room for advancement or promotion.

I see it as a job that requires no real skills (I.E. a degree) and that you can easily be replaced.
Literally, a "job that goes nowhere." A job with no room for advancement. Typically a low quality job. I don't think anyone would consider CEO of a huge business a "dead-end job," even though technically it is.