PDA

View Full Version : Why Is Europe Bottem Of The Food Chain ?

Dreddz
08-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Why does it recieve all the games last, I mean, What has America done thats so special. We are always getting games last, or never at all in alot of cases..
Ticks me off
The only game I know that was released here first was Judge dredd
And that sucked bad....

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
It's business. Europe hasn't proven to be a worthwhile enough investment to warrant sending every game that Japan and America get, especially since it takes extra effort to provide Spanish/French/Italian/German translations, convert to PAL, etc.

Psychotic
08-15-2005, 10:59 PM
I blame the French.

Language, that is. Translations of the manual, packaging, various press releases, not to mention the game itself, with stuff like menu screens, etc. into all the different languages of Europe takes a long time.

Master Quan
08-15-2005, 11:03 PM
I thought we were going to get AC first?

Which kind of makes me laugh.

Old Manus
08-15-2005, 11:03 PM
I blame New Labour.

Dreddz
08-15-2005, 11:06 PM
I guess Psy makes the most sense, we have so many languages in Europe, it is very difficult.....But still, cant UK and America get them at the same time ? I dont think any changes go between those two...Except for Region code. I think that UK should join NTSC...that would kick ass..

Psychotic
08-15-2005, 11:18 PM
If we got the game at the same time as America, then people the other nations of Europe would start ordering the game from Britain too, and games companies don't like that. Don't ask me why, they just don't. I think maybe it has something to do with piracy, or perhaps it's because when they get released in those countries, the sales take a dive and it makes them look bad.

Dreddz
08-15-2005, 11:20 PM
We should have the NTSC region code, then they cannot Order it ( unless they got a chipped PS2 )

-N-
08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Why is there a PAL format, anyways? Why can't there be one global standard?

Dreddz
08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
Me no no.....

Destai
08-15-2005, 11:23 PM
9/10 We'll get the best games (The best being the ones that sell well). Its often enough RPG's that wont be released here because they take the most translation but again, If it sells particularly well chances are high we'll get it eventually and every now and again with added features. Its not that bad a deal.

Dreddz
08-15-2005, 11:25 PM
why wasnt Chrono Cross released over here, that was good...wasnt it ?

Destai
08-15-2005, 11:29 PM
why wasnt Chrono Cross released over here, that was good...wasnt it ?Because it was the sequel to Chrono Trigger, Which was a Snes game and most gaming companies (Well japanese ones anyway-aka.Square )didnt bother porting any games to Europe until the Playstation came out (and the reason they started then was because of the huge demand for FFVII) Thats why.

Cloud No.9
08-15-2005, 11:33 PM
having ntsc is a bad idea cos it sucks.

Erdrick Holmes
08-15-2005, 11:39 PM
At least you guys will be getting console versions of 2D fighting games. I feel that more thyan makes up for it.

Markus. D
08-15-2005, 11:48 PM
australia sucks at getting any good games, mostly movie based ( think i only liked enter the matrix)

a shop had to import ffxi just so some people could have it (only 2 copies in the whole of gold coast)

australia has to much "we'll export more" inside there brains "punches johnny howard".

Maxico
08-15-2005, 11:51 PM
Somebody correct me if I get something wrong.

PAL tvs run at 50hz and NTSC tvs run at 60hz. They have different amounts of lines and different framerates so converting games is not always an easy task. Europe can't suddenly decide to use NTSCas a standard television signal because it would cause most televisions to become useless. However more recent TVs are capable of displaying NTSC and 60hz displays.

Dreddz
08-16-2005, 12:27 AM
At least you guys will be getting console versions of 2D fighting games. I feel that more thyan makes up for it.
Ya, At least that good......

-N-
08-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Oh that's right, Europe runs on a different AC transmission standard. I didn't know that was the reason, and I certainly didn't know you needed to make differently formatted DVDs for differently constructed hardware - I mean, the European consoles could simply include a signal converting box to convert 50 hz to 60 hz using a partial-wave rectifier or something. :p

Lindy
08-16-2005, 12:40 AM
Funnily enough, basically all GC games can be run at 60hz, and Metroid Prime 2 at least runs only at 60hz, so if Nintendo can manage it, why not other companies?

Not to mention the fact that they release most games internationally, when Sony would never bother, such as Tales of Symphonia for example.

So really, it's all down to Sony.

lordblazer
08-16-2005, 12:58 AM
Why is there a PAL format, anyways? Why can't there be one global standard?
Bah this is the first time I can say it. Bu tMicrosoft doesn't even likes setting regional codes to consoles.(he loses more money lol.). I think it has osmehing to do wiht trying to keep japaneese games(its kinda like censorship.). GIve us a taste of a ekwl japaneese game and not let us view the Japaneese gaming market.(America only gets a fraction of games that are released in japan.). Then you have american companies who release games also. I think that American and European software companies who release games do a lot better in the computer software industry than making console games...

When you say Europe is the lowest of hte low lol you guys are waaaay wrong!!!

lol

Canada gets everything last.

Big D
08-16-2005, 04:49 AM
It's pretty bad in Australasia, too.
For example, MGS3 became available in Japan and the US late last year. We didn't even get the non-playable, Japanese-language demo until the February OPS2M, and game itself didn't reach here until March.

That's pretty lame, imho.

Erdrick Holmes
08-16-2005, 04:59 AM
GBA games are globally standard. My PAL FF Tactics Advance plays fine on my NTSC-U GBA SP.

MecaKane
08-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Different versions of the same damn fighting game that's been made for the past 15 years, in exchange for Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Xenosaga, Xenogears. Yah, that sounds about right.

Mo-Nercy
08-16-2005, 05:09 AM
Australasia does get a rough deal. But I'm used to it now.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-16-2005, 05:19 AM
GBA games are globally standard. My PAL FF Tactics Advance plays fine on my NTSC-U GBA SP."PAL" and "NTSC" refer to frequencies of television screens. Of course they're not an issue on portable systems, where televisions are not involved.

crashNUMBERS
08-16-2005, 05:22 AM
Theres a state food chain??

Black Mage
08-16-2005, 05:44 AM

No. And it would be Country.

I don't live in Europe, but I sort of lose sympathy for them since it seems every single person whines about it. I understand the problem, but we all know about it. We know Europe doesn't get every game the States do. Please stop complaining.

Buy more games or something. Show 'em Europe is a viable market. Aside from that, I don't know what else you want.

crashNUMBERS
08-16-2005, 06:04 AM

No. And it would be Country.
Whatever. And it's a joke...

Rengori
08-16-2005, 06:08 AM
I don't live in Europe, but I sort of lose sympathy for them since it seems every single person whines about it. I understand the problem, but we all know about it. We know Europe doesn't get every game the States do. Please stop complaining.

Buy more games or something. Show 'em Europe is a viable market. Aside from that, I don't know what else you want.
You do have a point.

Old Manus
08-16-2005, 09:49 AM
What the hell is MGS3? I thought MGS1 came out last month!

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-17-2005, 06:27 AM
I beg to differ.

I find the notion ironic given the fact that the Japanese have a history of being Europe's #1 fan (as in, Japanese women with Louis Vuittons, going man-crazy over David Beckham, VW being the #1 car brand in Japan in 2003, shares the same DVD coded region as Europe -- #2, driving system like England's, etc.).

In addition, Europe is the only other major market that gets Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n Music (sp?), and GFDM -- in consoles.