PDA

View Full Version : Aeon symbolism

Yew-Yevon
08-16-2005, 01:09 AM
A while ago I posted a thread called "The True story of Anima" and showed alot of the backround in the game,the meaning, and how it is in reality. My question is, do the other aeons have myths and studies that can be found in the real world?

syun_ukiya
08-16-2005, 02:32 AM
i think so.. ifrit and shiva does. also bahamut being the king of the dragons true. the magus sisters are based on ffvi.

Aidan
08-16-2005, 03:04 AM
however, some aeons like valeforand yojimbo have no other connection to anything else that i have seen. itd be cool if anyone can link them to anything else and tell their origin.

Rengori
08-16-2005, 03:15 AM
Vaelfor:

One of the dukes of hell, Valefor is the sixth demon of the Goetia. Other dukes include Amdusias and Barbatos. Valefor is associated with thieves, but is generally good has a tendency to tempt them too far.

In Final Fantasy X, Valefor is a female aeon and the first Yuna enlists on her pilgrimage. She takes the form of a decorated birdlike drgaon, and commands the four basic elemental magics.

rubah
08-16-2005, 03:31 AM
Yojimbo is a word for an unemployed bodyguard, as I'm sure kishi will point out at some point.

and the magus sisters were a throw back to ff4.

Aidan
08-16-2005, 03:31 AM
liar! thanks... do you know about yojimbo? perhaps ixion?

Rengori
08-16-2005, 03:34 AM
Ixion:

Even in the sexual maelstrom that is Greek myth, the mortal Ixion stands out as one with an eye for the ladies. Unfortunately for him, one of his attempted conquests was Hera, wife of Zeus. She discovered his plans and set a trap in the form of a Hera-shaped cloud. He gave it one nonetheless. The resulting offspring was Centauros, who in turn begat the centaur race.

Ixion's appearance in Final Fantasy X is somewhat more subdued. He takes the form of the aeon of thunder from Djose temple, and perhaps only his horselike appearance pays any remote homage to the myth. Though Zeus probably did zap him a bit.

Masamune·1600
08-16-2005, 04:55 AM
A while ago I posted a thread called "The True story of Anima" and showed alot of the backround in the game,the meaning, and how it is in reality. My question is, do the other aeons have myths and studies that can be found in the real world?

In general, most FF Summons are derivative of religions and mythologies from all over the world. As regards FFX, Valefor seems to be derivative of demonology, as suggested by the wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valefor).

Ifrit is taken from Islamic mythology, and can also be spelled afreet, afrit, afrite, and/or efreet. Ifrits are among the most powerful of the Jinn (spirits which rank below angels and devils). Ifrits are generally giant creatures of smoke or air or fire; the latter might explain the elemental correlation between Ifrit and Fire that has always existed within Final Fantasy.

Ixion, as stated earlier, is taken from Greek mythology. According to the legend, Ixion was the first human being to kill shed the blood of a relative. This resulted in Ixion wandering the earth as an exile; Zeus took pity on the man and brought him to Mt. Olympus. However, Ixion became obsessed with lust for Hera, and ended up impregnating a cloud Zeus had disguised as Hera. From this was born the monster Centaurus, which would father the Centaur race with the mares of Mt. Pelion. In any case, Zeus bound Ixion to a flaming wheel, and is frequently cited by the classical writers when mention is made of Tartarus.

Shiva is generally viewed to be taken from Hinduism; he is, along with Brahma and Vishnu, one of the three primary Hindu deities. There have been references to Shiva as female (which might explain Shiva in FF), although these are in error.

Bahamut, according to Arabic mythology, is a giant fish. A giant bull, Kujata (obviously the source of the FFVII summon Kjata), stands upon Bahamut, and on top of Kujata are a ruby mountain, an angel, six hells, the earth, and seven heavens. I've never seen a mythological source that cites Bahamut as having the form of a dragon.

Yojimbo, as mentioned, translates approximately to "bodyguard." There was a Kurosawa film of the same name.

The Magus Sisters, so far as I know, are purely an invention of Final Fantasy.

Clearly, although the names of the Aeons often correpond to religious and mythological sources, the appearances have been notably altered in many cases.

As far as previous FF reference, Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut are classic summons. Valefor, Ixion, and Anima seem to be new, but Yojimbo and the Sisters reference Final Fantasies IV and V. The Magus Sisters were a boss in FFIV, while Yojimbo is best known as the enemy in FFV that carried the rare Strato katana.

boys from the dwarf
08-16-2005, 09:37 AM
most of FF things are based on myths and legends.

* White Aeris *
08-17-2005, 04:21 PM
most of FF things are based on myths and legends.
they're trying to educate us!!!!!!! sorry bout that. but, yeah, it is kinda cool.

Master Quan
08-17-2005, 06:20 PM
For what? An A-level in Folklore and Mythology?

Old Manus
08-17-2005, 06:40 PM
What else matters?

Yew-Yevon
08-17-2005, 09:05 PM

In general, most FF Summons are derivative of religions and mythologies from all over the world. As regards FFX, Valefor seems to be derivative of demonology, as suggested by the wikipedia. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valefor).

Ifrit is taken from Islamic mythology, and can also be spelled afreet, afrit, afrite, and/or efreet. Ifrits are among the most powerful of the Jinn (spirits which rank below angels and devils). Ifrits are generally giant creatures of smoke or air or fire; the latter might explain the elemental correlation between Ifrit and Fire that has always existed within Final Fantasy.

Ixion, as stated earlier, is taken from Greek mythology. According to the legend, Ixion was the first human being to kill shed the blood of a relative. This resulted in Ixion wandering the earth as an exile; Zeus took pity on the man and brought him to Mt. Olympus. However, Ixion became obsessed with lust for Hera, and ended up impregnating a cloud Zeus had disguised as Hera. From this was born the monster Centaurus, which would father the Centaur race with the mares of Mt. Pelion. In any case, Zeus bound Ixion to a flaming wheel, and is frequently cited by the classical writers when mention is made of Tartarus.

Shiva is generally viewed to be taken from Hinduism; he is, along with Brahma and Vishnu, one of the three primary Hindu deities. There have been references to Shiva as female (which might explain Shiva in FF), although these are in error.

Bahamut, according to Arabic mythology, is a giant fish. A giant bull, Kujata (obviously the source of the FFVII summon Kjata), stands upon Bahamut, and on top of Kujata are a ruby mountain, an angel, six hells, the earth, and seven heavens. I've never seen a mythological source that cites Bahamut as having the form of a dragon.

Yojimbo, as mentioned, translates approximately to "bodyguard." There was a Kurosawa film of the same name.

The Magus Sisters, so far as I know, are purely an invention of Final Fantasy.

Clearly, although the names of the Aeons often correpond to religious and mythological sources, the appearances have been notably altered in many cases.

As far as previous FF reference, Ifrit, Shiva, and Bahamut are classic summons. Valefor, Ixion, and Anima seem to be new, but Yojimbo and the Sisters reference Final Fantasies IV and V. The Magus Sisters were a boss in FFIV, while Yojimbo is best known as the enemy in FFV that carried the rare Strato katana.

you have exelent knoleg in this area! Id show you the Anima reference but the thread is gone now and the web site is on a cd that I dont have with me at the moment.

* White Aeris *
08-18-2005, 11:46 AM
hey, you never know......... :shifty:

Yew-Yevon
08-19-2005, 02:01 AM
hey, you never know......... :shifty:

When you realise that FFX was heavaly influenced by Japanes culture it gives you an idea of how we can uderstand them better.

Masemuno
09-28-2008, 04:53 AM
I found something on Bahamut's origin:

In Arabian mythology, Bahamut is a giant fish that supports the earth, like Masamune said previously.

The article also said that Bahamut was sometimes seen with the head of a hippopotamus or an elephant, which may have been an influence in the slightly elephantine formation of his 'ears'.

Random, but interesting, I thought.

theundeadhero
09-28-2008, 05:08 AM
This subject is always interesting but this thread is waaay to old to revive. Feel free to make a new one about the subject.