PDA

View Full Version : Most Used Characters...

Zone Eater
08-16-2005, 03:45 AM
It seems that no matter how hard i try to use a different team when i start a new game, i always end up with the same characters. I dont know why, i guess im just too nostalgic and stubborn. Anyway, im wondering what everyones favorite four characters are to use. Im not talking about the STRONGEST, im talking about your favorite. I usually end up using a combo of cyan, sabin, locke, and celes.

TheAbominatrix
08-16-2005, 03:47 AM
I always always have Terra and Locke on my team, and while I try to switch up the other two, I often end up with Celes and Edgar.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Always Umaro.

abrojtm
08-16-2005, 04:30 AM
Mog, Sabin, Edgar, Gogo.

Masamuneˇ1600
08-16-2005, 05:11 AM
General Leo, Banon, Biggs, and Wedge.

Or, more accurately, Terra, Locke, Edgar, and Cyan.

omnitarian
08-16-2005, 05:44 AM
I tend to wind up with Edgar, Sabin, Gogo, and a magic user- generally Gau, Mog, Terra, or Celes.

Sasquatch
08-16-2005, 06:14 AM
Sabin, Edgar, Terra, and somebody else. Just to fill in.

Slade
08-16-2005, 06:28 AM
Terra, Locke, Cyan and Edgar. But last time i played i broke the tradition and used Celes, Relm, Sabin and Setzer

tailz
08-16-2005, 10:01 AM
celes sabin edgar and setzer

boys from the dwarf
08-16-2005, 11:12 AM
celes sabin edgar and setzer
good tastes man!same here. :cool:

TurkSlayer
08-16-2005, 01:16 PM
Shadow. You don't need anyone else.

Christmas
08-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Umaro, Mog, Gogo and Gau. :D

Tama2
08-16-2005, 04:57 PM
Terra, Sabin, Locke, and Shadow

x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
08-16-2005, 08:20 PM
Terra because she's my favourite character and she's a great magic user.
Mog because he's cute and his Dances come in handy early in the game.
Setzer because I feel so sad for him when they uncover the Falcon.
And I also like his Slot because Lagomorph heals a bit.
Sabin because his dedication towards Edgar is sweet and his Blitzes are amazing.

Dudius
08-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Terra, Shadow, Mog, Then either edgar or Strago (He's very usefull when training against Cactuars to level up your Espers since his 1000 needles does 1000 damage no matter what so you can finish him off rather quickly) ... or was it 100 needles that did 100 damage no matter what? Not sure.

Rengori
08-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Terra, Locke, Sabin, and Edgar. Now that Terra left for Zozo, I go with Gau.

Dreddz
08-16-2005, 11:12 PM
I always use Gogo.....I change my team every playthroigh, but Gogo is always in there
But the others are usually
Terra, Sabin, Gogo, Relm
I use Relm quite alot as well, mainly because of her magic strength....

eestlinc
08-16-2005, 11:33 PM
I always use Locke and Edgar, with some combination of Terra, Relm, Strago, and Umaro.

MAS82587
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
terra edgar celes locke

KoShiatar
08-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Celes, Locke, Edgar, Tina/Terra. The usual.

Heath
08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
Edgar, Celes, Mog and Cyan for me. I was never any good at the blitzes for Sabin.

TheSpoonyBard
08-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Terra, Celes, Shadow/Locke, Edgar/Cyan

Dreddz
08-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Why does nobody like Relm
She is like the best, her magic was the highest in the game
Although her Portrait attack just glitched the game.....

Peter_20
08-19-2005, 05:57 PM
I´m all for physical strength, so I usually choose "beefy" teams like Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan and stuff.
Locke with the Graedus = BIG damage!

Dudius
08-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Im all for casting quick on everybody so I can go like 3 times in a row for one person.

Necronopticous
08-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Celes, alone.

Slothy
08-19-2005, 09:13 PM
I always have Terra, Edgar, Sabin, and for the fourth switch between Mog and Celes. I usually only use others when I have to.

Fithos
08-20-2005, 05:23 AM
almost always edgar and sabin. sometimes celes or terra, sometimes strego or locke.

rubah
08-20-2005, 06:01 AM
Terra, Locke, Shadow, Edgar. They're my favorite characters xD

Final_Heavan_33
08-20-2005, 07:56 PM
for a laugh i just got Sabin so good it was just him but otherwise it is Locke, Sabin, Edgar and Gogo

Final_Heavan_33
08-20-2005, 07:58 PM
i use weapons like Atma Weapon and Illumina and stuff for MASSIVE damage

Aphelion
08-20-2005, 09:53 PM
Celes - Shadow - Edgar - Sabin (Terra, sometimes)

Doomie
08-21-2005, 12:08 AM
Locke, Edgar, Sabin, and +1.

Neen
08-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Locke, Celes, Edgar...because they are my favorites. But I also love to equip Strago with the Healing Rod and pop him in from time to time...=P

Sepho
08-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah, I do that with most RPGs. Even though I say I'll try a new team on the next playthrough, I already know who I like to use in battle, and using that party is probably going to be more fun.

Peter_20
08-24-2005, 10:43 PM
I tend to stick with the "good-looking" characters, I always thought the sprites for Terra, Locke, Edgar, Sabin, Cyan and Gogo were pretty cool.
Also, for some reason I prefer teams WITHOUT Locke during the very late parts of the game, probably cuz although I like his design, his colours aren´t that bright, and I consider him one of the weaker fighters.
So in the final battle, I usually go with Edgar, Sabin, Cyan and Gogo.
t3h powerhouse patrol! :D

Cid's Number 1 Fan
08-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I really prefer Edgar, Sabin, Setzer and some other random person. Setzer with the gengi glove, offering, fixed dice and doom darts.... Mmmmm. I always send him into the Colosseum.

Skarr
09-09-2005, 05:06 AM
shadow, celes, mog and either gogo or locke...i like to stick to a fun and wierd looking team...umaro is good but i use him rarely...and setzer is awesome...it's hard to choose a team sometimes...

Locke the Thief
09-10-2005, 02:41 AM
I use Locke, Edgar, Cyan, and Mog

Rengori
09-10-2005, 04:35 AM
Locke, Terra :love:, Edgar, and Shadow.

ScottNUMBERS
09-10-2005, 10:11 AM
Terra, Celes, Cyan, Sabin. :D

Bowser
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Mog, Strago, Terra, Shadow. These were the only people I used for most of the game and they worked really well. :monster:

Jiro
09-19-2005, 04:34 AM
I use Terra Locke Sabin Edgar. Terra and locke cause they're the first two characters, kinda like the main characters so i use em. Sabin cause his blitzes rock and edgar cause his hockey mask when he uses chainsaw is sick!

Snap Jumper
09-20-2005, 12:28 AM
As soon as Phunbaba's gone, Terra will stay in my party to the end. Partner her up with Celes, and one can fight physically, the other magically. The other two slots can just go to whoever, but I tend to go with Setzer, Relm, Gogo, or Edgar.

ljkkjlcm9
09-20-2005, 01:21 AM
So in the final battle, I usually go with Edgar, Sabin, Cyan and Gogo.
t3h powerhouse patrol! :D

I agree man, Cyan is my favorite for two reasons, you can use the berserk Cyan which is awesome, but kinda cheap, or do my favorite, give him an economizer, yeah you heard me, a magic item, caste haste, and use Quadra slice again and again, invincible, and plenty of attacks. Also it's awesome to watch him just laugh while everyone else is frozen.

But really, Gogo, Edgar, Sabin, and Cyan are by far the strongest physical fighters in the game, ok maybe not Gogo, but he's uber cool being able to mimic anything!

THE JACKEL

Carl the Llama
09-20-2005, 10:52 PM
[TR][TD]i like to go with Locke, Terra, Cyan and gogo

chaos9071
09-24-2005, 10:17 PM
In order of precidence...
Setzer: because if you equip him with fixed dice, the offering, palidin sheild, Safety Bit. He will be a god. Here is why the fixed dice is the best weapon hands down. It is a mathematical equasion that takes your levels multiplied by the first dice multiplied by the second dice and third... It is indefensible. Meaning if you go up against an opponent with 100% plus evasion or 255 defense it won't matter. That can not be said about any sword.

Gau: Equip him with the merit award. Then choose a weapon. Then equip him with the Genji Glove and the Snow Muffler. Use get this... Gaurd. He will be a the most physically dominating charater in the game.

Gogo: You can do some wonderful things with the merit award and economizer with this guy.

Mog because you can equip him with the snow muffler and the best lance... I forget the name. His Defense will be 255 and his attack will be like 255 and his magic defense will be up around 240 something.

Shadow equip him with the mirage armor and it is possible to have his evasion in excess of 100%.

Terra: need I say more?
This montle crew can seriously turn your picks into mince meat. Disagree? try it and prove me wrong.

The legendary Shadow
09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Shadow. You don't need anyone else.

That´s my man :up:

ljkkjlcm9
09-25-2005, 12:59 AM
In order of precidence...
Setzer: because if you equip him with fixed dice, the offering, palidin sheild, Safety Bit. He will be a god. Here is why the fixed dice is the best weapon hands down. It is a mathematical equasion that takes your levels multiplied by the first dice multiplied by the second dice and third... It is indefensible. Meaning if you go up against an opponent with 100% plus evasion or 255 defense it won't matter. That can not be said about any sword.

Gau: Equip him with the merit award. Then choose a weapon. Then equip him with the Genji Glove and the Snow Muffler. Use get this... Gaurd. He will be a the most physically dominating charater in the game.

Gogo: You can do some wonderful things with the merit award and economizer with this guy.

Mog because you can equip him with the snow muffler and the best lance... I forget the name. His Defense will be 255 and his attack will be like 255 and his magic defense will be up around 240 something.

Shadow equip him with the mirage armor and it is possible to have his evasion in excess of 100%.

Terra: need I say more?
This montle crew can seriously turn your picks into mince meat. Disagree? try it and prove me wrong.

I guarantee my Cyan alone could beat that party... I mean, i beat all the statues without getting hit... not even once

THE JACKAL

chaos9071
09-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Cyan unfortunately isn't that great... I don't care what you do to him. You would be spanked... HARD! I can beat anything with Setzer alone. when I say anything I mean ANYTHING... I could beat kefka with Setzer alone. What ever physical attack you do is going to do 1 HP damage and there is no instant death. I am sorry but you would have to have Setzer roll triple 1's four times to even think about beating me. Wrap your head around those odds. You couldn't even work the vanish doom thing on me because you would be dead before you got done with vanish.

BTW the formula for fixed dice...
Damage = (Lvl * 2)*[1st die*2nd*3rd) NOTE: If all 3 dice are the same, multiply all 3 together then multiply that by the sum of the three dice.

I was wrong I would spank you harder than I orginally thought. 2376 being the least amount of damage I could do. The most is 39996 which if I could do the damage in FFX would be 3,079,296. I dare you to find ANY attack in ANY FINAL FANTASY with the potential to do that kind of damage. There is nothing Cyan could do that Setzer can't top. The only FF6 charater you can argue is as kick ass as setzer is Gau.

Masamuneˇ1600
09-25-2005, 11:28 PM
Cyan unfortunately isn't that great... I don't care what you do to him. You would be spanked... HARD! I can beat anything with Setzer alone. when I say anything I mean ANYTHING... I could beat kefka with Setzer alone. What ever physical attack you do is going to do 1 HP damage and there is no instant death. I am sorry but you would have to have Setzer roll triple 1's four times to even think about beating me. Wrap your head around those odds. You couldn't even work the vanish doom thing on me because you would be dead before you got done with vanish.

BTW the formula for fixed dice...
Damage = (Lvl * 2)*[1st die*2nd*3rd) NOTE: If all 3 dice are the same, multiply all 3 together then multiply that by the sum of the three dice.

I was wrong I would spank you harder than I orginally thought. 2376 being the least amount of damage I could do. The most is 39996 which if I could do the damage in FFX would be 3,079,296. I dare you to find ANY attack in ANY FINAL FANTASY with the potential to do that kind of damage. There is nothing Cyan could do that Setzer can't top. The only FF6 charater you can argue is as kick ass as setzer is Gau.

Your understanding of FFVI algorithms and game mechanics is incomplete. Your Setzer, compared to any number of possible end-game set-ups, is vulnerable; in terms of character enhancements, certain invincibility cannot be achieved (relative to other player creations).

You assume Fixed Dice to be the ultimate set-up, which it is not. First, the minimum damage for a Fixed Dice X-Fight at Level 99 is actually 1584, as opposed to 2376 (assuming a 1-1-2 roll; I'm guessing you assumed 1-1-1 to be the weakest). While a 1-1-2 roll is statistically improbable, and there's a relatively good chance that 9999+ damage can be achieved in four attacks, this is no certainty. Further, for the sake of a completionist view, the inherent randomness of Fixed Dice limits its overall viability. One might assume a typical 3-3-4 roll, which would deal 4752 damage at level 99. This is sufficient for a theoretical character-to-character battle when used in conjunction with X-Fight, but really proves to be no better a use of the Offering than it would be with other defense-ignoring equipment. For example, Locke, with 128 Vigor, full HP, Atma Weapon, Valiant Knife, and Offering, would deal 9999*8 damage with full HP, and always more than 9999*4. These weapons, by the way, also have determining equations that ignore defensive parameters.

This also raises the question of your "39996 is equivalent to 3,079,296 in FFX." I just demonstrated a single attack sequence that can deal double the damage of Fixed Dice/Offering. Does that mean Locke's attack is equivalent to 6,158,592 damage in FFX terms? For that matter, why is a point of damage in FFVI equivalent to roughly 77 points of damage in FFX? Since both FFVI and FFVII have damage caps set at four digits, does that mean that FFVII's All Lucky Sevens is equivalent to over 38 million damage?

In any case, there are an innumerable number of ways you can assure 9999 damage in FFVI, which is all that would be needed in theoretical character combat. Since said character combat can't actually occur, using it as a determinent for best character is pointless. Rather, character combinations that best accompany each other in the context of the game are most effective, and, by level 99, basically any combination is effective.

I think the primary selling point for Cyan, by the way, would be exploitation of what's known as the "Psycho Cyan" glitch. With this, it's possible to have Cyan attack...and attack, and attack, until the oppostion is defeated, without interruption.

Setzer's certainly not a bad character, and if used, should definitely be used in conjunction with Fixed Dice and Offering. But he's not the apex of FFVI character creation; no one really is.

Ignoring the fact that this doesn't apply since a bug in the game rendered Evade worthless, and allowed M. Block to count for both stats, what makes 100+ Evade so exclusive? Any character wielding both Illumina and the Paladin Shield has 90 Evade just from those equips. Ignoring the fact that this also lends 90 M. Block, it's not very difficult to envision scenarios for those characters that result in 128 Evade set-ups. All things considered, even if Evade was separate from M. Block, the latter is a more valuable statistic.

While there's no question that it's fun to Mime repeated Ultimas with Gogo, his very ability to Mime limits the effectiveness of Economizer use (particularly since anyone can equip an Economizer). Further, Gogo's stats are terrible, even moreso because he can't gain Esper bonuses. His versatility makes him fun to use, but he's certainly not a top tier character if one is truly intent on powering everyone up. Gogo can be useful, of course, in the Coliseum, since one's ability to control his commands limits the possibility of pointless technique use.

crashNUMBERS
09-26-2005, 12:52 AM
I don't have all of them yet but when I do Im gonna use the hell out of...

Locke-Shadow-Sabin-Terra

ljkkjlcm9
09-26-2005, 03:26 AM
personally I like Cyan so much because using an economizer and casting quick, then using quadra slice is just so much fun. I mean yeah, I could use another character to cast quick then use genji glove/offering, but it's not nearly as fun as watching Cyan laugh at them as he slices away and can't get hit cause they're stopped while he's in quick, then you just cast quick again when everyone starts moving again, and endless fun!

THE JACKEL

BFM
09-26-2005, 05:32 AM
I have 2 parties. Terra, Celes, Gogo, Strago (Magic party) and Sabin, Cyan, Umaro, Shadow (Strength Party).

Taiyou
09-28-2005, 07:59 AM
For me it used to be:

Terra, Edgar, Celes, Sabin.

Then I started to really like Locke and within the past couple years I started trading Sabin out for Locke. So for the two spots not filled by the girls, it varies between the twins and Locke.

Bowser
10-01-2005, 12:35 AM
Strago, Shadow, Gogo, Mog. :screwy: I love having a level 99 Strago with full HP cast Exploder while Life 3 is cast on him. :) And then have Gogo mimic him. Oh yeah, and Terra. I forgot I already posted here.

Yuber
10-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Terra, Celes, Lock, and Shadow. 3 can equip "heavy armor" & the atma weapon, and throw does serious damage against single opponents, plus, Shadow just kicks ass.

chaos9071
10-01-2005, 11:19 AM
you can battle gau (by that I mean attack him) and he is a good test because can easily have 255 defense. I have maxed all charaters and tried just about every attack imaginable. Gau and Setzer are near gods. The only attacks they are even hurt by are non elemental magic. Gau with the Stray cat could definately fuck cyan up. See the Atma sword is powerful but it base on your hp. but it is deminished by the offering and it is deminished when you lose hp. Not so with the fixed dice. Besides how cool is it to fuck some one up with dice. with fucking dice! how crazy is that? my point is that either solo gau or setzer can go toe to toe with a the braceasuar and generally fuck him up.

ljkkjlcm9
10-01-2005, 12:40 PM
you can battle gau (by that I mean attack him) and he is a good test because can easily have 255 defense. I have maxed all charaters and tried just about every attack imaginable. Gau and Setzer are near gods. The only attacks they are even hurt by are non elemental magic. Gau with the Stray cat could definately smurf cyan up. See the Atma sword is powerful but it base on your hp. but it is deminished by the offering and it is deminished when you lose hp. Not so with the fixed dice. Besides how cool is it to smurf some one up with dice. with smurfing dice! how crazy is that? my point is that either solo gau or setzer can go toe to toe with a the braceasuar and generally smurf him up.

And I definitely had Cyan fighting all alone in that forest against two dragons and/or a brachosaur alone and he'd win both battles without even getting hit once, so that really doesn't mean anything. A lot of characters can easily "smurf" as you say, the brachosaur, it's all about having the right game plan when you go up against them, and simply put, I have an awesome game plan with Cyan.

THE JACKEL

blackmage_nuke
10-06-2005, 03:12 PM
in the start i generally use them equally but at the end i want to only use four to kill kefka so i power up:
Setzer for that gengi glove, fixed dice, offering, doom darts trick
Sabin for bum rush
Shadow to throw everything at the end (i wont need it when im done)
Edgar for tools, but i ended up using relm instead for cure 3

Lynx
10-08-2005, 09:10 PM
i use locke, shadow, mog, gogo.

locke just because hes so cool and can equip the atma weapon

shadow cause hes cool and interceptor his dog is awesome

mog because through out the game he made me laugh

gogo because i like blitz and sword technique so much and of course i gave him the merit award to equip some good weapons.

so really my reasons for chooseing charcters are beacuse i think there cool mostly

Nightmare X
11-02-2005, 05:06 PM
-Terra (128 MBlock and M Pwr)
-Shadow (THRRRROW indeed, and the interceptour counter effect is neat)
-Edgar (Used mainly as a dragoon for the party, 128 Vigor)
-Setzer/Gau (Gau's rages kick ass, people just don't know how to use him)