PDA

View Full Version : FFXII battle system.

boys from the dwarf
08-16-2005, 11:27 AM
ive seen a fair few screenshots for FFXII and i want to know whats with the battle system?i know its thw same in some aspects but ive also noticed its highly different.anyway i suppose its about time they scrapped ATB and random encounters and i wont miss them that much.so can someone explain what happens in FFXII battles. thanx in advans.(FFXII looks awesome :) !!!)

edczxcvbnm
08-16-2005, 06:59 PM
Think MMORPGs

Black Mage
08-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Yeah, it's supposed to be similar to an MMORPG.

From what I've gathered, I think it'll be similar to the .Hack battle system.
Though, I reckon it will be more "finely tuned". Not verbatim by any means, but similar.

Lawr
08-17-2005, 08:08 AM
Its like FF11 only there is an ATB.
You wait till its full and then your command
that was given is put into action.

You can also tell your allies to stand back and
watch or tell them to attack with certain skills

Monsters also have 'minds' they can heal other
monsters in need or from a distance they appear
to aid one another.

chionos
08-17-2005, 05:00 PM
I wish they'd made it exactly like FFXI with abilities and magic that have cool-down periods....
<3 FFXI battle system

DK
08-19-2005, 10:33 AM
Having never soiled myseld by playing an MMORPG I have no idea what the battle system is like. Please explain?

Final_Heavan_33
08-19-2005, 12:13 PM
instead of random encounters you see enemies running around in the field and you can encounter at will or if you are good enough you can avoid them, and if you encounter you fight them RIGHT THERE.

Vertisce
08-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Ive seen a lot of screenshots myself but all the screens ive seen looked like they were video screenshots. Like from movie clips. I havent seen a screenshot yet of what might be the battle system or anything. I think a system like the .HACK system would be great though.

Lawr
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
If you would like to see battle screens then go to
FinalfantasyXII.net

Here (http://www.ff12.us/images/screenshots/screenshot_11.jpg) is one battle screenshot.

kawakami Gensai
08-23-2005, 01:18 AM
http://media.ps2.ign.com/media/488/488222/vids_2.html

Search around the videos on this site. You can kinda get a look at the battle system in action.

Mercen-X
08-23-2005, 08:36 AM
instead of random encounters you see enemies running around in the field and you can encounter at will or if you are good enough you can avoid them, and if you encounter you fight them RIGHT THERE.
During a playthrough in Ragnarok Online, I ran into (and was killed by) an Incubus, an extremely high monster, in a low-level playing field. I was like, "WTF?"
Three others were killed right next to me, two warped away and one just talked with me. After porting back to town, I ran across a mess of people talking about the strange occurrence of high level monster appearing in a low-level area. At first, recollections of Dot Hack came to mind.

I later discovered that Higher Level Players tend to use something called a "Dead Branch" or something, to summon higher level monsters to battle . . . 'cause they're bored. It totally took the adventure and mystery out of the whole thing.

Dreddz
09-01-2005, 05:43 PM
I never found MMORPG systems good.
Sure, I love everquest. But that was for all the things to do, other than focusing on the battle system.
FF battles were more important. And will be more frequent. I dislike it as it will get boring. Although the system will probably be a bit better than Everquests. Im not happy. But you never know. Square might pull off the system with flying Colours......

rcabronx
09-05-2005, 07:52 PM
ok. i just looked at that vid of a battle, and i must say, that really blows the bone pony. GAHD. why couldn't they just keep stuff the same. pisses me off. one of the reasons i HATED crystal chronicals was for the very same reason i just saw in that clip... there's no trnasition into a battle, and you do everything right there.... ew. i no likes. :mad: just my oppy tho.

frelumpel
09-06-2005, 06:23 PM
ok. i just looked at that vid of a battle, and i must say, that really blows the bone pony. GAHD. why couldn't they just keep /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif the same. pisses me off. one of the reasons i HATED crystal chronicals was for the very same reason i just saw in that clip... there's no trnasition into a battle, and you do everything right there.... ew. i no likes. :mad: just my oppy tho.

before we get into any flaming thing about one persons opinion being better than anothers or trying to impose ones opinion on another i have to say i respect what you just said and am not criticising your views, i however disagree. For starters i think this new system will make a fresh change, i get the impression it will run as something of a cross between final fantasy and knights of the old republic in so much as you will see enemys appear on the screen before you fight them and are free to move about how you wish during the battle, but command inputs, the waiting time before an action is made and the action taking place work in much the same way as atb, essentially it is atb where you can move around your enemys. I dont think the transition into battles will be missed once you start playing the game, as all this system means is you can see your enemy before acting and either a battle is unavoidable (just like the random battles) or you can avoid it, similarly to running from battles in previous games. Also it shouldnt be too reminiscent of crystal chronicles as the game can be set to pause when you encounter an enemy in order to enter your first commands (which i suppose can be seen as the "battle transition") and the action in chronicles was more like an action game, pressing A to attack etc..., where as this will still b menu based. I think this system will be very strong, as those used to atb will still be able to control their characters in the atb fashion, where as those who wish to make use of the free movement aspect will be able to. And let's not forget this will add another level of strategy, planning and realism to combat, which i think is exactly where rpg's need to be heading.
wow, that turned out to be a lot more than i planned to write...

rcabronx
09-06-2005, 06:52 PM
ok. i just looked at that vid of a battle, and i must say, that really blows the bone pony. GAHD. why couldn't they just keep stuff the same. pisses me off. one of the reasons i HATED crystal chronicals was for the very same reason i just saw in that clip... there's no trnasition into a battle, and you do everything right there.... ew. i no likes. :mad: just my oppy tho.

before we get into any flaming thing about one persons opinion being better than anothers or trying to impose ones opinion on another i have to say i respect what you just said and am not criticising your views, i however disagree. For starters i think this new system will make a fresh change, i get the impression it will run as something of a cross between final fantasy and knights of the old republic in so much as you will see enemys appear on the screen before you fight them and are free to move about how you wish during the battle, but command inputs, the waiting time before an action is made and the action taking place work in much the same way as atb, essentially it is atb where you can move around your enemys. I dont think the transition into battles will be missed once you start playing the game, as all this system means is you can see your enemy before acting and either a battle is unavoidable (just like the random battles) or you can avoid it, similarly to running from battles in previous games. Also it shouldnt be too reminiscent of crystal chronicles as the game can be set to pause when you encounter an enemy in order to enter your first commands (which i suppose can be seen as the "battle transition") and the action in chronicles was more like an action game, pressing A to attack etc..., where as this will still b menu based. I think this system will be very strong, as those used to atb will still be able to control their characters in the atb fashion, where as those who wish to make use of the free movement aspect will be able to. And let's not forget this will add another level of strategy, planning and realism to combat, which i think is exactly where rpg's need to be heading.
wow, that turned out to be a lot more than i planned to write...

i truly thank you for being so cool. I'm not a person who flames, tho, so fret not. i have read your post and have absorbed it, but the reason i got kinda upset was because i thought it was going to be more like a xenosaga thing where yes, you see the enemy in the field, but once you touch, there's the transition into battle. that i dont mind. not to say i wont buy FF12, because there's like a 99.998 % chance i will, but i was just very disappointed with the major change. i guess i'd prefer it never to change. but i am for sure going to try it, and attempt to play it, but it's just gon be sucky for me at first....then i'll get used to it and start to enjoy it, and life will be good again. or i'll throw it out the window in a fit of rage.... you know, whatever.... :love: :love: :love:

kawakami Gensai
09-08-2005, 02:25 AM
I cant really make an opinion on it untill I have tried it out. Im up for something a little different though.

crazybayman
09-14-2005, 05:50 PM
CHANGE BAD. :mad2:
WANT TRADITIONAL BATTLE SYSTEM WITH SCREEN TRANSITION, AND NO MOVING CHARACTERS AROUND.

bah. :mad:

Migitman
09-15-2005, 11:23 PM
I haven't liked a single game since they were squarenix...then again it may just be I haven't found any of the games since they switched too good because they aren't anything compared to the games they made as squaresoft. But that's just me, I hated all the Dragon Warrior games by regular Enix.

rcabronx
09-16-2005, 12:12 AM
WANT TRADITIONAL BATTLE SYSTEM WITH SCREEN TRANSITION, AND NO MOVING CHARACTERS AROUND.

:cry: LIKE I SAID! just my opinion. gahd.....

crazybayman
09-16-2005, 03:17 PM

:cry: LIKE I SAID! just my opinion. gahd.....
I was agreeing with you.

rcabronx
09-17-2005, 02:07 AM
oh. well then..... ain't I the stupid wrong one....

sorry babe. :love:

crashNUMBERS
09-18-2005, 12:07 AM
Like Ed said. MMORPG style. And before I leave there are 3 known type's of magic thus far. White, Green, and Black. White and Black you should know from past FF experiance but Green is status effect's. Like silence, Poison, etc. They've been takin away from Black...

LunarWeaver
09-19-2005, 10:09 PM
The more I hear about the battle system the more I want to play it actually. Seems very...fluid. But I've also always loved that Square makes such drastic changes with each Final Fantasy. Change is a good thing. If by the time you have the number XII in your title and it's the same as I, then that would be a problem.

Anywho, all I really hope for is two things:

A New Game + feature. I don't want to start over as a god though... I liked X-2's where your level didn't carry over so you weren't all powerful. My favorite New Game + is Tales of Symphonia, where you "purchase" things such as extra experience or learned abilities. It takes 6-7 playthroughs just to get absolutely everything. Now that's replay value.

And monsters that do not level with you. I hate it when they do that...I couldn't get into FFVIII because everytime Squall leveled so did all the enemies. That made actually playing it somewhat pointless. I understand people power level and make the game too easy, but hey, if a gamer wants to put that much work into it, why not? I prefer difficult enemies and bosses that force you to level to contend with them to make the game hard.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be a great addition. I love VI, VII, IX, X, and even X-2. I enjoy that Square takes so many risks...

Vaprice
09-26-2005, 12:11 AM
if you want to find out what the sytem is like then play FFXI because in more aspects than one it's the same.

crazybayman
09-26-2005, 01:27 PM
And monsters that do not level with you. I hate it when they do that...I couldn't get into FFVIII because everytime Squall leveled so did all the enemies. That made actually playing it somewhat pointless. I understand people power level and make the game too easy, but hey, if a gamer wants to put that much work into it, why not? I prefer difficult enemies and bosses that force you to level to contend with them to make the game hard.
The point of FFVIII was using the junctioning system properly. The reason why monsters level as you do is to eliminate the possibility of creating all-powerful dominating characters by levelling alone. FFVIII requires you to use the juncting system properly, and learn the proper GF abilities besides levelling up, in order to defeat your enemies.

Back to FFXII......I'm open to almost any kind of change, however I was hoping that the battle system wouldn't have changed so dramatically. Turn based, atb gauges, or something of that nature would have been great, but this new system looks like something you'd play in an arcade.

However I don't want to pass too much judgement until I play it.