PDA

View Full Version : Anticipation of getting something is better...

Silmaril
08-16-2005, 02:53 PM
...than actually getting it.

I disagree.

Zeldy
08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
I do too, the wait till christmas is agony ;_;

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Yeah, like what if you were expecting to have a fish hook torn from your eye? and then all of a sudden you get slice of chocolate cake? I mean, that'd be excellent.

udsuna
08-16-2005, 05:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not the concept of this thread....

Anyways, I don't really think the anticipation is more fun than getting it. Being teased is *so* unappealing (with one exception).... now, teasing someone else, THAT is fun, always.

I do, however, firmly believe that the anticipation of something bad is usually worse than the thing itself. Fear of pain, or rejection, or throwing up, or falling.... it's amazing how paralyzing that fear can be, even if you realize that going through with it won't hurt much at all. Even if you know you'll feel *better* afterwards.

Rye
08-16-2005, 06:06 PM
The anticipation is usually so much better. I get SO excited about Christmas and my birthday, but both are usually let downs, but I guess the excitement of it makes up for it.

boris no no
08-16-2005, 06:11 PM
i get exited about everything
so the feeling gets old after a time

Resha
08-16-2005, 06:22 PM
Sometimes! Sometimes getting the thing is so deflating coz it doesn't live up to your expectations or whatnot.

Chris
08-16-2005, 06:26 PM
I disagree! Although, I do enjoy both feelings. ^^

DreamingOfDreams
08-16-2005, 06:35 PM
What if you were waiting for something, and then you get something much better then what you were expecting?
Isn't getting better then?

Primus Inter Pares
08-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Yeah, it's about both really, the chase is fun too though.

Cruise Control
08-16-2005, 06:45 PM
I'm excited only
27 days
22 hours and 16 minutes until andvent children is released!

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not the concept of this thread....

I'm kidding...

But often I get the feeling that something will be the BEST THING EVAR...and then when I get it, it's pretty crappy...

-N-
08-16-2005, 07:11 PM
Like most things, I think it depends, and ultimately, each has their own benefits and allures. If you had everything, then there would be nothing left to anticipate, nothing left to hunt or pursue. But then again, you could just sit back and enjoy all that you already have. If you're always pursuing something else, something "better", then that can make you feel more alive and feel the need to live more, but it can also make you weary and tired and frustrated at the same time. All in all, I think there are various stages of life in which you lean towards one of these two states, and I think the older you get, the more content you are to stop trying to obtain something and start enjoying what you have already obtained.

Oh man, speaking my thoughts is far too unbecoming of me. I'd better stop.