PDA

View Full Version : Gogo, Umaru and the leveling system.

ThroneofDravaris
08-16-2005, 03:11 PM
As most people know, characters only gain stat bonuses in FF6 (besides HP and MP) by equipping Espers. Besides that, the only way to increase them is through stat increasing items. So that makes me wonder, does this mean that Gogo and Umaro can’t actually increase their stats past their original values, as they cannot equip Espers? This is especially important for Umaru, who can’t change his equipment either; does this mean that there will be a point in the game when all of the characters outclass him?

Discuss…hopefully with answers.

EDIT: Bah, mispelled Umaro....

BG-57
08-16-2005, 03:14 PM
I thought all characters improve their stats as they level up. It's just that Espers provide stat bonues (Speed, HP, etc....) above and beyond what the character would normally receive as they gain new levels.

ThroneofDravaris
08-16-2005, 04:22 PM
No, as can be read here (http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/final_fantasy_iii_exp.txt), characters only gain stat bonuses from levelling up if they have Espers equipped. So my question is does this mean that Gogo and Umaro are stuck with their initial stats?

BG-57
08-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Link doesn't work, but then again links to Gamefaqs.com never do. :rolleyes2

ThroneofDravaris
08-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Works for me, but then I've been there so...

Meh, you'll just have to trust me on this one then....

Sasquatch
08-16-2005, 05:59 PM
I believe stats do increase with level, as BG-57 said, just not nearly as much as with Magicite equipped. A gained level will mean more damage done and less damage taken, even without a stat bonus. The numbers might not go up, but every level improves much more than just HP and MP.

Although you can change Umaro's Relics to make him by far the most powerful physical attacker in the game (short of somebody with Atma Weapon and Offering), you don't really need to change his equipment He's already got the only weapon he can equip and the best armor in the game, why change anything? Sure, he could use a cover, but oh well.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
08-16-2005, 11:26 PM
If stats only increased with Magicite equipped, there'd be no point to going past Level 1 before reaching Zozo.

Fithos
08-17-2005, 04:58 AM
no, i just checked, and my stats leveled up even though i didnt have any Magicite equipped.

ThroneofDravaris
08-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Hmm, then what the hell are people talking about when they say that only HP and MP increases when you level up? I must admit, I never took not of this happening during the game, I never thought to check. But there are several web pages that specifically state that in FF6, stats only increase when you have Espers equipped...

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66765

That’s a link to a page here so it should work.

So tell me: WTF?

Captain Maxx Power
08-17-2005, 12:53 PM
While your normal stats don't increase, you're output damage increases due to your level. I've never known me characters increasing in stats without Magicite.

-N-
08-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Hmm, then what the hell are people talking about when they say that only HP and MP increases when you level up? I must admit, I never took not of this happening during the game, I never thought to check. But there are several web pages that specifically state that in FF6, stats only increase when you have Espers equipped...

http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66765

That’s a link to a page here so it should work.

So tell me: WTF?Your link resolves your own question. Next.

ThroneofDravaris
08-18-2005, 09:40 AM
No it doesn't. It doesn't mention Gogo or Umaro at all...

Sasquatch
08-18-2005, 03:17 PM
So what's your question? You know Gogo and Umaro get better when you level them up. What else do you need to know?

ThroneofDravaris
08-18-2005, 03:28 PM
Oh, no question left really, I was just saying that the information that I provided did not have the answer on it (I mean, I did read it first...).

While your normal stats don't increase, you're output damage increases due to your level. I've never known me characters increasing in stats without Magicite.

That is what answered my question. Incidentally does anyone have a (working) link to a page that specifically states this information? (ie, the algorithms use to calculate damage via levelling up)

Failing that, does anyone have the formula? I've already seen the one for magic damage ( Damage = Spell Power * 4 + (Level * Magic Power * Spell Power / 32), from the link) but I would like to know how levels play a part in physical damage as well...

Flying Mullet
08-18-2005, 03:40 PM
Works for me, but then I've been there so...

Meh, you'll just have to trust me on this one then....
FYI, directly linking to gamefaqs doesn't work. The link works for you because you have the text file cached on your system but no one else can access it because remote linking is disabled.