PDA

View Full Version : Shadow, in comparison

Sasquatch
08-16-2005, 06:01 PM
Why do people think Shadow is so good? I see it all the time, people think Shadow is the only character you'll ever need. His stats aren't as good as some of the other characters, his weapons aren't as good as some of the other characters, you don't have him long enough in the WoB to teach him much... So what's so great about the guy? I mean hell, it's almost as bad as Aeris freaks.

Tama2
08-16-2005, 06:46 PM
It's cos he's just cool. :cool:

boys from the dwarf
08-16-2005, 07:18 PM
im not a big shadow fan(and aeris is my least favourite FF character ever so i wouldnt call it close to as stupid as the aeris freaks.)but some like shoadow because hes cool and his backstory and mysteriousness.and also in battle he can throw and has interceptor in his counter attacks.

x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
08-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Shadow can do a lot of damage with his Throw ability but it's expensive to keep buying weapons!
I'm not a die-hard fan but I've seen his dreams in the WoR and I think they're rather sad.
I also think it's sad that he never reconciles with Relm.
Especially since he must know she's his daughter, especially after the whole Interceptor not biting her head off thing.
:p

Braindead_Paul
08-16-2005, 09:04 PM
Actually, Shadow's stats are very good.
A few comparisons:

Shadow - Locke
Vigor: +2
Speed: -2
Mag.Power: +5
BattlePower: +9
Defense: +1
Stamina: -1
Mag.Defense: +2
Mag.Block%: +7
Evade%: +13

Shadow - Terra
Vigor: +7
Speed: +5
Mag.Power: -6
BattlePower: +11
Defense: +5
Stamina: +2
Mag.Defense: -8
Mag.Block%: -2
Evade%: +23

Shadow - Setzer:
Vigor: +3
Speed: +6
Mag.Power: +4
BattlePower: +5
Defense: -1
Stamina: -2
Mag.Defense: -1
Mag.Block%: +8
Evade%: +19

Shadow - Edgar:
Vigor: +-0
Speed: +8
Mag.Power: +4
BattlePower: +3
Defense: -3
Stamina: -4
Mag.Defense: +3
Mag.Block%: +8
Evade%: +24

Dudius
08-16-2005, 10:25 PM
I think he's the real hero of the game. He saves people numerous times in the game. That's probably why alot of people like him.

Dreddz
08-16-2005, 11:16 PM
Shadow sucks......

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-16-2005, 11:24 PM
Interceptor.

Dudius
08-17-2005, 12:49 AM
Actually when you think of it... if you really trained like those crazy FFVII people, all of your guys would be pretty much the same in the end... or almost.

boys from the dwarf
08-17-2005, 11:15 AM
i never used shadow or even got him in WoR but i can see why people like him and i like him too.he a mysterious hero.

KoShiatar
08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Is it just me, or Shadow looks like Casshern, just in black? He's even got a Dobermann that looks so much like Casshern's cyborg dog...it's all Amano design, so I wonder if it was some unconscious repetition of a beloved standard or a self-quote.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2005, 10:17 PM
I think Casshern has a more complex design. And is he even a ninja of any kind?

Prancing Mad
08-18-2005, 03:45 AM
Shadow's cool because:
- he's a ninja
- he is better than the terribly useless characters like: Strago, Relmz or Gau
- dog's are cute
- he can chuck stuff

Vyk
08-18-2005, 05:57 AM
May not be able to train him much in WoB but you got all the time you need in WoR. He's one of my standard fall-back characters. There's like 6-8 people I always use, and of course he's one of them. Maybe not the final 4, but deffnitely up there. Though yeah, he's certainly not my favorite character. But I did take the time to max him out with the rest of my favorites.

kikimm
08-18-2005, 06:46 AM
I don't think he's anything special. His "Throw" command, like someone else already said, is useful, but I can live without him. I don't find him, as a character, that appealing anyways. "Meh."

:D

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-18-2005, 09:41 AM
He's a decent character, but I don't use him a whole lot and the throw ability is something I can do without. Interceptor is certainly a bonus, but overall he's not that exciting. I generally throw a Genji Glove on him for good attack damage.

ShunNakamura
08-19-2005, 07:45 AM
Shadow ain't horrible stat wise.

And intercepter, even later in the game, can deal some nice damage. in the begining it can really take down your opponent.. particually if this was your first time playing the game. So he is helpful for the short time you have in the WOB.. and in WOR he is also useful.. Though he ain't as fast as Locke.

Armisael
08-19-2005, 10:46 AM
I like Shadow..He is very useful at battles and i find his character quite nice..
He is one of the "playmakers" at my team. ^_^

KoShiatar
08-19-2005, 10:11 PM
I think Casshern has a more complex design. And is he even a ninja of any kind?

It's hard to compare. Casshern's images are an anime character design. It's a completely different thing from the character designs Amano did for Final Fantasy VI, which look more like his illustrations and are a lot less defined (which is not the same as less rich in details). Shadow's appearance in the game and in the FMV's was much simplified, so I think it can't be taken as a comparison.

As for what Casshern did...I can't really remember. I was too small when the cartoon was on Italian TV. But I'm not talking about their abilities now, just their appearance.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, I was referring to Shadow's original design, not how he appears in the game or the FMV.

rubah
08-20-2005, 06:03 AM
Interceptor.
free attacks and free defendings are <3

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 07:32 AM
His stars are pretty powerful and he looks cool.

Plus he plays by his own rules. What a rebel!

TurkSlayer
08-21-2005, 07:42 AM
You insult me by comparing me in any way to an Aeris freak! Shadow will now smite you! ..... He'sa cookin somethin up...

Anyway, I just like Shadows character and, if you level him pretty high, I sometimes just use him alone and it tends to work pretty well. He's not as tough as other characters, but he's pretty good, and always the hero of my game.

Skarr
08-24-2005, 04:14 PM
shadow is a rebal...and c'mon people...has there ever been a character like shadow in any of the other ff games...that can compare to him.....no.......plus...he looks cool...

Darkmage
08-24-2005, 07:46 PM
sjadow's in my party most of the time! the only other 3 usually in my party are: Mog, Sabin and Setzer. Think about it: people want thinks that look cool. all these 4 do. (in MY opinion) so that's probably the reason

blackmage_nuke
08-28-2005, 05:53 AM
shadow isnt so good in the main part of the game but i like how useful he is at the end, in the end i trained 4 characthers to fight the final boss and i chose shadow to be one cuz i knew i could just throw anything i want because i wouldnt need it afterwards, thats why he's so good. and he's just plain cool as well

Jiro
09-19-2005, 05:04 AM
Shadow's a ninja. everyone likes ninjas! His dog bites really hard. Everyone likes animals kicking bad guys buts. 'nuff said

ThroneofDravaris
09-19-2005, 06:01 AM
You insult me by comparing me in any way to an Aeris freak! Shadow will now smite you! ..... He'sa cookin somethin up...

...Family Guy and FF don't mix well...

Anyway, I've never really been that fond of Shadow. Throw isn't worth the Gil you have to spend on the items, and he is outclass in physical damage potential by Cyan and Sabin.

Meh...

nik0tine
09-19-2005, 07:32 AM
He's cool and fun to use, so people use him. That's really the only reason I use most characters in games. I use the ones I like, not necessarily the ones that are most powerful.

Ciretho
09-19-2005, 11:45 AM
I mainly like Shadow because he's a ninja. I always seem to like to side characters (He is a side character if you think about it) like vincent and the such. I also like his darkness with a hidden past. Cliche, I know, but it only got that way because its a winning formula.

chaos9071
09-25-2005, 09:49 PM
If you equip him properly you can get his evasion to greater than 100%. I like him with the mirage vest.

Plus he is a ninja. Ninja's make anything cool. BTW Aeris is useless as a plinko chip. I am glad she was killed. Besides she isn't as hot as Tifa.

ThroneofDravaris
09-26-2005, 06:34 AM
I thought that a glitch prevented evasion from being useful in this game...

Sasquatch
09-26-2005, 08:16 AM
I heard that too.

You can get Mog's or Gau's Evasion % higher, anyway.

The Man
09-26-2005, 08:29 AM
I, too, remember hearing that Evade doesn't really matter and MagicEvade determines both stats in its place. I could be confusing the two; it may have been that MagicEvade was the stat that didn't matter. But I don't believe so.

We should also note that Darkness doesn't actually do anything to characters' hit accuracy, so the old adage that "the goggles do nothing" is actually true in this game. ;)

Masamuneˇ1600
09-26-2005, 11:33 AM
I, too, remember hearing that Evade doesn't really matter and MagicEvade determines both stats in its place. I could be confusing the two; it may have been that MagicEvade was the stat that didn't matter. But I don't believe so.

We should also note that Darkness doesn't actually do anything to characters' hit accuracy, so the old adage that "the goggles do nothing" is actually true in this game. ;)

Yeah, M. Block is the relevant statistic, and Evade the useless stat.

Darkness does actually have one detrimental effect; Strago can't learn Lores while under the status, since he learns them by "viewing."

ThroneofDravaris
09-26-2005, 03:02 PM
Does anyone find it pathetic odd that Square not only managed to make this mistake in the first place, but also didn't bother to correct it for the Anthology release?

Sasquatch
09-26-2005, 05:36 PM
It's all about accuracy. They just didn't want to change anything :D .

EDIT: You think they'll correct it for the GBA release?

ThroneofDravaris
09-26-2005, 05:45 PM
Hopefully. I hope they also correct "Atma" to "Ultima"...

x_Hopeless_Deviate_x
09-26-2005, 07:24 PM

...Family Guy and FF don't mix well...

Anyway, I've never really been that fond of Shadow. Throw isn't worth the Gil you have to spend on the items, and he is outclass in physical damage potential by Cyan and Sabin.

Meh...

I thought what TurkSlayer said was hilarious...but that's just me!
:)

ThroneofDravaris
09-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Yes...it was hilarious...when the Pope said it on Family Guy...

The Man
09-26-2005, 10:39 PM
Darkness does actually have one detrimental effect; Strago can't learn Lores while under the status, since he learns them by "viewing."Ah, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the clarification. ;)