PDA

View Full Version : A Fully fledged "I hate it when people use terrible english on forums" thread

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 07:14 PM
I suppose we'd better have a proper discussion about it...

At least to stop you guys from ranting in a thread and completely derailing EVERYTHING.

I absolutely HATE people who use abbreviations for words or phrases, you know what I mean, people who post and just say "lol" or "ur so gay" or whatever.

Infact, sheerly by principle if I see someone post a serious post, that consists of "ur" as a replacement for "you're/your" or "r" as a replacement for "are". Then I put them on ignore.

Feel free to discuss this further.

-N-
08-16-2005, 07:15 PM
Que?

GooeyToast
08-16-2005, 07:16 PM
u r a vry angry prson mster quan

Rye
08-16-2005, 07:17 PM
u r a vry angry prson mster quan

Spiffing Cheese
08-16-2005, 07:19 PM
lol ye it is vry annoying espeshily when dey spel all da wrds rong 2, bt i gree dat u r vry angry ppl, k?

Medi
08-16-2005, 07:20 PM
I don't usually mind it when people use in proper English on forums. But I ALWAYS correct my sister's bad grammar. She just never learns... Sometimes she does it on purpose just to annoy me.

Primus Inter Pares
08-16-2005, 07:21 PM
Yeah, I get your point, but still, the internet vulgarisation of English, is not as bad as the real life vulgarisation. Modern Vernacular is nearly indistinguishable from, say the 19 hundreds.

WildRaubtier
08-16-2005, 07:22 PM
This thread is complete if I manage to convince VampireCrono to post "orly". But that requires effort, yo.

GooeyToast
08-16-2005, 07:24 PM
yes, we all could be talking in ebonics or some other butcherd English language

Rye
08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
yes, we all could be talking in ebonics or some other butcherd English language

fo' rizzle, shawty!

boris no no
08-16-2005, 07:25 PM
it annoys me too
but as i cannot spell normally.....but at least i try ^__^

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
Don't you fools see?

If you type the incorrect spellings of words, and I mean lots of them, one after the other, it makes you seem like an incoherent retard.

edit: Angry? How so?

Medi
08-16-2005, 07:30 PM
I try to do my best in using proper English/grammar, but if I mess up, give me a break! I'm only 12.

Rye
08-16-2005, 07:31 PM
Don't you fools see?

If you type the incorrect spellings of words, and I mean lots of them, one after the other, it makes you seem like an incoherent retard.

edit: Angry? How so?

Well, all the hate threads. Just because some people spell badly and improperly, doesn't mean they're awful, even if it is a bit annoying. Where is the lurv?

And yes, I know how to spell the word love.

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 07:33 PM
I learned long ago that patience isn't a virtue, no, but a cold mistress, who must be yeilded to on a daily basis.

After years of suffering, I lost myself in the moment and ran her through, severing the link between her spine and brain.

Thus killing her. After that I soon became a Neo critic.

Lindy
08-16-2005, 07:34 PM
lol internet

Dixie
08-16-2005, 07:36 PM

At least to stop you guys from ranting in a thread and completely derailing EVERYTHING.

I absolutely HATE people who use abbreviations for words or phrases, you know what I mean, people who post and just say "lol" or "ur so gay" or whatever.

Infact, sheerly by principle if I see someone post a serious post, that consists of "ur" as a replacement for "you're/your" or "r" as a replacement for "are". Then I put them on ignore.

Feel free to discuss this further.You are awesome. You think like me! I HATE that stuff.

Resha
08-16-2005, 07:38 PM
It's annoying sometimes. xD But I've gotten kind of used to it...unfortunately. xD

Agent Proto
08-16-2005, 07:39 PM
y u do dat?

Of course it's annoying, but it can be fun when it's done jokingly, of course, if the person typing is really typing like so, it's bothersome. :p

Primus Inter Pares
08-16-2005, 07:40 PM
Meh, the thing is to learn to ignore them, and just sit there, feeling quietly superior :cool:

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I feel it may also be pertinent to the discussion if I mention my intense loathing of the widely overused "emoticon" inside a post.

Take Resha back there, Was there anything remotely funny about what she (presumably) said? No. Why the "xD"? In fact, why two "xD"s?

edit:

Also,

y u do dat?

Of course it's annoying, but it can be fun when it's done jokingly, of course, if the person typing is really typing like so, it's bothersome. :p

...I see someone post a serious post...

Terran
08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I)uud 5t0p 0\/3r34t1/\/6!!!!111 Seriuosly thou, put them instatly on your ignore list just for messing up one word? I do it sometimes and kick myself for it and generally go fix it. But you(I first typed this as a u out of habit) have so much angry within you, release on something that won't bleed and die.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-16-2005, 07:52 PM
lol ur so gay

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 07:55 PM
....have so much angry within you, release on something that won't bleed and die....

First of all.....release on something that won't bleed and die?

Second, "Me have um so much angry, me going to um go bang, with angry"

Oh yeah,

thou

Though T-h-o-u-g-h

Zante
08-16-2005, 07:58 PM
As long as I can understand what the person is sayng, I don't mind it at all. I don't see why an occasional lol or imho should bother someone.

Agent Proto
08-16-2005, 08:00 PM
The way I see it, most people who started off typing AOL-speak will eventually type more properly when they see others typing correctly. It just takes time.

Seymour_Guado_Goth
08-16-2005, 08:06 PM
:mad2: Humaflegawega!!!

ZeZipster
08-16-2005, 08:07 PM
...and I hate whiney people who overuse interjections. How ironic?

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 08:08 PM
Not really.

WildRaubtier
08-16-2005, 08:09 PM
Take Resha back there, Was there anything remotely funny about what she (presumably) said? No. Why the "xD"? In fact, why two "xD"s?
That's because Resha is a stupid SPAMMER.

Agent Proto
08-16-2005, 08:11 PM
I know it's annoying, but just let it be. They will eventually learn to type correctly.

Psychotic
08-16-2005, 08:17 PM
The word "english" in the title needs a capital E. Haha.

Behold the Void
08-16-2005, 08:18 PM
Annoying though it may be, I believe they have the right to type however they please, just as you have the right to complain about it.

Also, there's also the fact that nobody is forcing you to visit a site or read posts with such grammar. If it annoys you, you can always remove yourself from a situation in which you will see it. If you choose not to do so, you really have no reason to complain, do you?

Resha
08-16-2005, 08:21 PM

I'd try and answer your question, but I can't. I don't know why I did it, it's just habit. But seeing as it doesn't cause internal haemorrage to anybody, I can do it safely. :D Unless you'd care to sue? lol k dis iz juz 4 u ok XDDDDDD hahah lolz so funy k dat iz juz UBER-KEWL LOLZ DUN U FINK SO?

That's because Resha is a stupid SPAMMER.
I DON'T SPAM! ;___; Everything I say has a deep, hidden meaning to it. ;)

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 08:21 PM
Not EVERYONE speaks like that here, otherwise I would have left a long time ago.

Oh, and in the title, the word "english" doesn't need a capital letter.

WildRaubtier
08-16-2005, 08:24 PM
I DON'T SPAM!
I lol'd.

Behold the Void
08-16-2005, 08:25 PM
I know everyone doesn't speak like that. But some people do. And you can't really do anything about it either. As I said, you have a choice, you can put up with it or you can not. What is is what will be will be, if people want to type like that they are going to do so whether you like it or not, and making such a big fuss about it is only going to serve to elevate your blood pressure and annoy those around you.

Sephex
08-16-2005, 08:27 PM
Not to advertise, but I recently made a comic about this (kind of).

http://www.geocities.com/crapitycomics/bno1.jpg

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
It's hardly a big fuss. It's not like I expect EVERYONE to stop typing like that. I'm only proposing that we discuss it.

Madame Adequate
08-16-2005, 08:28 PM
I am only annoyed when people make no effort whatsoever. I don't care about lol, rofl, rafl, xD, wtf, 4tw, yadda yadda yadda - I use them myself plenty - so long as the person can write something coherent without them. But language changes and evolves, and this should be neither surprising, perplexing, nor vexing to anybody.

Necronopticous
08-16-2005, 08:31 PM
calm down LOL ur overaeacting lol xDDDD :) :p :D ;) :cool: :( :rolleyes2 :mad2: :eek: :cry: :mad: :love: :confused: :tongue: :greenie: :) :p :D ;) :cool: :( :mad2: :eek: :mad: :love: :confused: :greenie:

:fencing:

Psychotic
08-16-2005, 08:38 PM
Oh, and in the title, the word "english" doesn't need a capital letter.Yes it does. It's a proper noun. Proper nouns need capital letters at the start.

Also "Fully" doesn't need a capital letter on the f. ;)

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Uh...no it doesn't. The word english in that context isn't a proper noun.

But yeah, the "Fully" is incorrect.

Necronopticous
08-16-2005, 08:43 PM
This thread makes me happy to be alive.

-N-
08-16-2005, 09:12 PM
It's like Spuuky is back, except his form is badly out of shape.

Oh yeah, and the attachment should settle your E/e debate. Obviously, Psychotic wins.

Destai
08-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Yeah I hate it, Its freaking Dumbtarded.

VampireCrono
08-16-2005, 09:29 PM
o rly

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 09:32 PM
It's like Spuuky is back, except his form is badly out of shape.

Oh yeah, and the attachment should settle your E/e debate. Obviously, Psychotic wins.

That attachement shows a screen taken from Word, an american program. I will now feel content in knowing that neither are wrong.

I am no Spuuky, Spuuky wishes he was me.

Psychotic
08-16-2005, 09:35 PM
That attachement shows a screen taken from Word, an american program. I will now feel content in knowing that neither are wrong.Attachment has just one e. ;)

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 09:37 PM
Whoops. I guess that makes me look quite the fool.

Doomie
08-16-2005, 09:40 PM
You come to a forum that consists of Final Fantasy loving twelve year olds, and you expect that everyone will use perfect grammar? I just have two words for you: ur ghey

rubah
08-16-2005, 09:41 PM
I think it's pretty obvious when people use stupid grammar to be stupid and when they do it because they don't know better and are actually stupid.

Resha
08-16-2005, 09:45 PM
If people are actually stupid, we should help them become smarter! >=\

eestlinc
08-16-2005, 10:14 PM
If something displeases you, either remove it from your life or learn to appreciate it. Otherwise you're just destined for suffering. Of course, you're just destined for suffering anyway, so I suppose you might as well learn to appreciate suffering also.

Meat Puppet
08-16-2005, 10:17 PM
yeah i do it alot of the time but the only bad person in it is the observer

*ETERNAL FANTASY*
08-16-2005, 10:23 PM

lol :D

Just deal with it man we can all grow out of it sometime lol!

StarlightAngel
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, I can see why you're annoyed by it but there isn't really all that much you can do. Except complain about it like you are now.

Though after a while you get used to it :cool:

Old Manus
08-16-2005, 10:40 PM
they get in the way

Sakura Valentine
08-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Sephex, I LOVE comic! It's so freaking true...
I think that it's okay to type that way once in awhile, as long as people can actually read it! I don't do it much, unless I am in a hurry. That way, when I don't do that all the time, it DOESN'T become a freaking habit! ^_^
Anyways, I think typing like that is just fine, only if it is legable.

Itsunari 2000
08-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Yah i hate It when ppl dnt meke ny effort 2 type props either theu r so lik a bunch of reatards LOLOL guess that mx me rlly samrt n ethinhg.

Drift
08-16-2005, 10:47 PM
Yah i hate It when ppl dnt meke ny effort 2 type props either theu r so lik a bunch of reatards LOLOL guess that mx me rlly samrt n ethinhg.

i agre wit him yeh cz ee snds kewl n liek ttly rawks. rawks me soks ee does dun he ite?

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-16-2005, 10:49 PM
If one is getting technical about the title of this thread there are a few other alterations that need to be taken into consideration.
Forums is infact an improper plural and should actually be fora. Oh and the quotations/speech should end with a comma.

Thus it shoudl read: 'A fully fledged "I hate it when people use terrible English on fora," thread.'
Or something like that. Either way this thread is the LAMEz0rz!

eestlinc
08-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Yea, this discussion is going to end in a coma.

Yuffie514
08-16-2005, 11:17 PM

ur talking to me right? oh, i thinks ya can't see my post b/c i might be on ur ignore list. i like using ur in place of your/you're. what? don't like dyslexics?

i'm not a bad speller and dyslexia has never been a problem [but i seem to be going on a downslide with spelling]. i just find it easier to make abbreviations.

Annoying though it may be, I believe they have the right to type however they please, just as you have the right to complain about it.

As long as I can understand what the person is sayng, I don't mind it at all. I don't see why an occasional lol or imho should bother someone.

XxSephirothxX
08-16-2005, 11:20 PM
I absolutely hate it, but sometimes fighting fire with fire is surprisingly fun and often produces hilarious results. If you're ever in chat and tlk 2 som1 lik dis n so on and so forth, it's usually funny. At least worth a giggle.

Lindy
08-16-2005, 11:22 PM
Krissy is the only one who can do it with style.

eestlinc
08-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Krissy is the only one who can do it with style.
Everyone else pales in comparison.

Shoeberto
08-16-2005, 11:33 PM
First of all.....release on something that won't bleed and die?
An elipse is only three periods.

I get irritated when people get bent out of shape about it. I also get irritated when, after someone gets bent out of shape, people who normally type correctly proceed to emulate the posting style in question.

To sum it up, if I've seen it done on the internet a million times, and it's no longer funny to me, it's irritating.

And yes, Krissy is a king among men and discussion of him is not fit for a lowly thread such as this.

Necronopticous
08-16-2005, 11:39 PM
An elipse is only three periods.'elipse' is not a word. :p

Shoeberto
08-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Bah, after I posted that I had the feeling I spelled it wrong. gj, me.

el·lip·sis

rubah
08-16-2005, 11:42 PM
But Ellipsis is.

Madame Adequate
08-17-2005, 02:11 AM
But Ellipsis is.

So is elision. And I don't know anyone who gets the number of 'l's correct in the two of them consistantly.

Necronopticous
08-17-2005, 02:18 AM
Okay, so we've established that abbreviating and using internet acronyms and initialisms upsets some people a little more than it probably should. I honestly don't see anything else coming out of this thread, save a few more grammar corrections and possibly a flame war.

On that note, I'll conclude with an ROFL and "close thread" button.