PDA

View Full Version : FF shoulda been on other systems

Dudius
08-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Geeze what were they thinking?! Square would have made so much more money and a way bigger fan base. Plus FF would have played way better on the GCN and Xbox. They're more powerful. Just look at other cross platform games. There's always something about the PS2 version that makes it... not as good as the others. Hopefully they'll keep their word on it when they say they'll start making FF's cross platform games on next-gen systems.

rubah
08-16-2005, 09:53 PM
I have no reason for them to go cross-platform as I don't own any of those other systems.

tailz
08-16-2005, 09:54 PM
i lvoe ps2 and i think ff belongs there

and btw the xbox and gamecube controllers suck

Dudius
08-16-2005, 10:14 PM
well rubah of coarse you wouldn't care, but what about the others that can't afford a PS2 cause they had already bought another system?

and tailz I don't think those are valid reasons not to have them on another system.

Rengori
08-16-2005, 10:31 PM
If they wanted to play FF, they would have bought a PlayStation. Square has given enough games to Sony that it's obvious they'll stay there.

Dudius
08-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Yeah, but what if they wanted to play other awsome games on other systems like Halo, or Zelda, or even Metroid Prime?

And Square has also given alot to Nintendo, pretty obvious that they didn't stay there.

eestlinc
08-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Sony helped get Square out of some financial trouble, thus the exclusivity of the games.

Yuffie514
08-16-2005, 11:46 PM
well recently there's been:

FFCC...GameCube
FFTA...GameBoy Advance

and FFXI coming soon to XBOX 360. still, Final Fantasy should have a devout loyalty to Sony. ya know what would be a good deal -- lets have some Zelda games on PS2.

Vyk
08-17-2005, 12:25 AM
It costs a lot more than people realize to port games across all systems. You basically have to re-program most of the game, sometimes even the graphics, and deffinitely the control scheme for each system, among other things I can't think of. Exclusives actually turn a profit a lot easier from what I've heard on these arguments in magazines. Plus exclusives can more easily milk the machine they're made for, instead of doing the lowest common denominator thing most cross-platform games do. But really I think its a financial issue. Like I said, from what I gathered from articles, multi-platform games have to sell an insane amount compared to exclusives to turn a profit.

Dudius
08-17-2005, 12:36 AM
Yeah, but we're not talking about "Metal Arms: Glitch In the System" here. This is final fantasy we're talking about here. You could almost be positive that many many many people would by it for another system.

As for zelda on the PS2; yes it's all about money. Zelda is pretty much nintendo's main weapon against the other 2 companies.

Rengori
08-17-2005, 12:43 AM
As for zelda on the PS2; yes it's all about money. Zelda is pretty much nintendo's main weapon against the other 2 companies.
OMG LIEK ITS NOT MARIO??????1

Mo-Nercy
08-17-2005, 03:22 AM
Sony doesn't really have a weapon though. Unless you consider Crash Bandicoot (dead) and Lara Croft (really really dead) weapons. The PS has always just been able to attract more consumers through a wider selection of games.

The XBox had Halo going for it. That's about it.

And just wait till PS3. We'll have some golden gaming moments on that thing.

Rengori
08-17-2005, 03:36 AM
And the XBox wold be lying in a ditch somewhere if Halo didn't come to the rescue.

Dudius
08-17-2005, 03:42 AM
Sony doesn't really have a weapon though. Unless you consider Crash Bandicoot (dead) and Lara Croft (really really dead) weapons. The PS has always just been able to attract more consumers through a wider selection of games.

And just wait till PS3. We'll have some golden gaming moments on that thing.

Sony doesn't need a weapon. If anything their system is their weapon. Their reputation, which gets more companies to make games for them is their weapon.

But yeah have you seen the Killzone PS3 trailer? Amazing.

Mo-Nercy
08-17-2005, 03:52 AM
And the XBox wold be lying in a ditch somewhere if Halo didn't come to the rescue.
I don't know if you're being sarcastic, but it doesn't matter because it's true and y'all know it. *pictures XBox in a ditch*

Must be some friggin' huge ditch. :D

Rengori
08-17-2005, 04:02 AM
Not to mention one that can take one hell of beating. All those XBoxes falling at once...

Vyk
08-17-2005, 04:43 AM
KOTOR <3

Some things Sony just COULDN'T give us

FFXI will probably be more popular on X-Box, despite how outdated it is, than it was on PS2

DJZen
08-17-2005, 05:08 AM
It'd have been cool if Square decided from the start to make FF for multiple platforms. At first it seemed like they would lean in that direction since FFI got ported to the MSX, but then they stopped. Could you imagine how different things would be if they'd gone multi-platform though?

Imagine how amazing FFII would look on the Master System.
Imagine FFIII appearing on the Turbo Grafix... And thus also the Turbo Express!
Imagine FFIV being ported to the Genesis
Imagine FFV taking advantage of the Turbo Duo's FMV capabilities
Imagine FFVI on 32X, obviously without the censorship!
FFVII on Saturn! Okay, maybe not the best idea, but it woulda been cool!
FFVIII on... well... okay, that one probably woulda had to be PS1 exclusive...
FFIX on DREAMCAST!!!!!! Oooooooooer.....
FFX on Dreamcast would also be cool, and maybe some other consoles as well!
FFXI actually IS getting ported to Xbox 360, so I guess we're back where we started.

This woulda been cool, damnit, if only....

Vyk
08-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Okay, yeah, I have to agree with a lot of those ^_^

Necron
08-18-2005, 07:37 PM
X-box sucks! Ps2 Rules! :D

Dreddz
08-18-2005, 07:59 PM
I dont really mind
But I think it should stay on PS2
I mean, Gamecube has the whole Mario franchise
Xbox owns Halo
So it would be nice if Playstation had FF, well the main ones, spin-offs can travel if they want

Dudius
08-19-2005, 12:19 AM
hehe I forgot about the Dreamcast. I was so hoping that the Dreamcast bleem! PSX emulators were gonna come out. Oh well.

Oh and gibbi8 Sony has some of the highest quality Electronics and Microsoft has Windows... so I think FF shoulda stayed with Nintendo. Besides although Mario is big, it's not "that" big.

Slothy
08-19-2005, 01:27 AM
so I think FF shoulda stayed with Nintendo. Besides although Mario is big, it's not "that" big.

Except that Nintendo offered them far less freedom to make and release the games they wanted early on than Sony did when they made the switch. There used to be some pretty bad blood between the two companies until very recently.

But really let's look at it this way, total sales of PS2 are far greater than Xbox or GC, which means it makes sense to put it on the PS2 for that reason alone as it has the largest audience. Xbox never really caught on in Japan to nearly the extent of the other two, especially early in the consoles life, which means Square would really have little interest in it. GC also did sell that well, and Square and Nintendo's history aside, with so many PS2's out there, putting it on the GC which has sold substantially fewer consoles wouldn't make sense either. Those who want FF and only have a PS2 likely won't buy a GC for it, those that have both may buy it for the GC, but could just as easily buy it for the PS2 when it's an exclusive title. And those few that own a GC but not a PS2 are so insignificant in the grand scheme of things that it probably doesn't justify the cost to port the game. That's my take on things anyway.

And as far as FF on the next gen systems goes, I believe it's been confirmed in an article I read on Gamespot shortly after E3 that the next main series FF will be for PS3, with no word on a multi-platform release, while the Revolution will likely get the next FF:CC game, and as we all know, Xbox 360 is getting FFX!. So there's really no word on a single title being released on all 3 systems.

ljkkjlcm9
08-19-2005, 01:52 AM
Anyone who says that Sony should have FF like Nintendo has Mario and Zelda has no idea what they're talking about. Look Nintendo makes Mario and Zelda, Sony doesn't make FF. Therefore it's up to Square to do what they want. What i really think they're gonna do is release exclusive games on all the platforms, which may actually get die hard square fans to buy all the platforms.

And there is one main reason a lot of games do not come out on Nintendo systems... Because NINTENDO SAYS NO, not the other way around. Nintendo doesn't want hundreds of rated M games on their system. Ask any parent who knows nothing about games, but would buy one for their kid, they'll go with Nintendo and Mario any day. Nintendo likes being the company parents can trust to make good hearted fun games that don't involve huge amounts of blood sex and other things of the like...

THE JACKEL

Rengori
08-19-2005, 03:20 AM
And there is one main reason a lot of games do not come out on Nintendo systems... Because NINTENDO SAYS NO, not the other way around. Nintendo doesn't want hundreds of rated M games on their system. Ask any parent who knows nothing about games, but would buy one for their kid, they'll go with Nintendo and Mario any day. Nintendo likes being the company parents can trust to make good hearted fun games that don't involve huge amounts of blood sex and other things of the like...
And don't forget role models like Kain spouting out random profanity into the mist, as shown in Chronicles.

DJZen
08-19-2005, 06:40 AM
Let's also not forget that M rated titles get released on the GC ALL THE TIME. Resident Evil is now mainly being released for the GC, with 2 exclusive titles. Violent games like Blood Omen 2 got ported, even though they would have sold perfectly well on the PS2 alone. Who was it that published Eternal Darkness? Oh, that's right! It was NINTENDO. Did you know that you can buy GTA for the GBA? Yup, it's there in all its 32 bit glory!

So, what's Nintendo's big objection? Violence? Sexuality? Profanity? Adult content? If that's the case, they should stop giving their seal of approval to games that contain these things.

Even if that point were valid, no FF game has ever exceeded a T rating.