PDA

View Full Version : the earth is round.

Dignified Pauper
08-17-2005, 04:44 PM
So, I've noticed lately that many games, (Still) don't really utilize this ROUND earth methodology.

For instance in, Final Fantasy 7, you have a rectangular map in the lower right (or any FF really). Now, with your airship, If You fly 20 degrees west of the northpole, when you pass it, you should be 70 Degrees East of the West pole (or would you be 20 degrees west, I'm not sure how it works) Regardless, you wouldn't automatically end up at the south pole. That makes half the world be skipped. So obviously not a lot of RPG's have round earths when you freely explore. The one exception I've noticed to this is Star Ocean 2 with the Globe Map. Regardless, don't you think, we, the player are being cheated out of a true Round RPG world?

-N-
08-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Roogle
08-17-2005, 04:46 PM
It depends on what you mean by saying Star Ocean 2 has a global map. In Energy Nede, you couldn't navigate the whole planet since it wasn't really a planet.

You can still go back and revisit Expel later on with the Synard, if that's what you mean. Yeah, that sure was a spherical world! Oh, Sphere...

Dignified Pauper
08-17-2005, 04:48 PM
that's because Energy Nede has this crazy forcefield, but regardless, it was round too. Expel was round. I've yet to play an RPG with a round world.

Lindy
08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
I've yet to care about an RPG having a round world.

Medi
08-17-2005, 04:57 PM
I did notice that a while back. I just didn't care.

Dreddz
08-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I just didn't care.

lordblazer
08-17-2005, 05:08 PM
So, I've noticed lately that many games, (Still) don't really utilize this ROUND earth methodology.

For instance in, Final Fantasy 7, you have a rectangular map in the lower right (or any FF really). Now, with your airship, If You fly 20 degrees west of the northpole, when you pass it, you should be 70 Degrees East of the West pole (or would you be 20 degrees west, I'm not sure how it works) Regardless, you wouldn't automatically end up at the south pole. That makes half the world be skipped. So obviously not a lot of RPG's have round earths when you freely explore. The one exception I've noticed to this is Star Ocean 2 with the Globe Map. Regardless, don't you think, we, the player are being cheated out of a true Round RPG world?

*points at morrowind*

SomethingBig
08-17-2005, 05:32 PM

Destai
08-17-2005, 05:34 PM

Jebus
08-17-2005, 05:40 PM
Who told you this? The world is NOT round.

Heh, next thing you'll be saying that the Earth goes around the sun, and that the moon has craters.

Anyway. You can expect the inquizition at your house shortly.

Lindy
08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Nobody expects the Spanish inquisition.

MecaKane
08-17-2005, 05:53 PM
Maybe the north pole is in the middle of the map, and the south along the bottom and top edges.

rubah
08-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Everyone knows that the earth is a cube.

Kane makes a valid point.

Dignified Pauper
08-17-2005, 06:03 PM
touche

I like Kane's answer the best.

Rengori
08-17-2005, 06:47 PM

Tama2
08-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Maybe the map is just wrong. Maybe the north pole is the very middle of the map.

Old Manus
08-17-2005, 06:56 PM
Yeah, duh. (http://www.timecube.com/)

Wasn't there a globe world map on FF8?
And:

Mercen-X
08-17-2005, 07:00 PM
Maybe the north pole is in the middle of the map, and the south along the bottom and top edges.
Precisely. The North and South poles are perfectly equidistant from each other whichever route is taken to reach either pole. Hence them being called "Polar Opposites." This means, to be equidistant in the game map, the positioning of the poles must be as quoted.

However, because the map does not rotate in any direction during travel, we could just as easily assume that one of the poles is located on the left/right edges of the map. Thus, we're reliant on the position of the map to establish this sense of direction. Left = west, right = east, up = north, down = south.

And both of these paragraphs were entirely meaningless as I'm sure they've added naught to the topic.

edczxcvbnm
08-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Having it be that way would just be a major gameplay inconvienence.

Rengori
08-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Besides, it's Final FANTASY.

DJZen
08-17-2005, 10:10 PM
I don't really recall anyone ever mentioning both poles in any RPG... I know that FFVII had the "knowlespole" XD, and that Xenogears had a South Pole, but other than that... This means MecaKane's theory holds some credibility.

That and it's just a video game.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-17-2005, 10:35 PM
The World Is Square.

SeeDRankLou
08-17-2005, 10:40 PM
In FFVIII, you could toggle between map options. You could have no map, a flat map, or....a spherical map. And I'm assuming that would make the FFVIII world round. That's the only example I have.

The Man
08-17-2005, 11:12 PM
The world is a donut. It's obvious.

Rengori
08-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Everybody knows the world is a flat surface shaped like a moogle.

theundeadhero
08-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Heaven forbid, maps of the Earth, excluding globes, are flat and square too! ...and OH NO! When you follow the map North all the way up, you wind up exactly on the same longitude line at the bottom of the map! Just like in video games...

Luke_loki
08-18-2005, 03:21 PM
what he said

Skyblade
08-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Heaven forbid, maps of the Earth, excluding globes, are flat and square too! ...and OH NO! When you follow the map North all the way up, you wind up exactly on the same longitude line at the bottom of the map! Just like in video games...

Not if you're actually travelling the map, you don't...

Golden Sun has a flat world, and no problem saying so! All these lovely problems so easily sidestepped... :D

Drift
08-18-2005, 04:03 PM

he wins

theundeadhero
08-18-2005, 06:10 PM
Not if you're actually travelling the map, you don't...
Yes, you do. If it's a map of the entire world and you walk North just past the edge of the map you don't wind up someplace entirely new that's not on the map. You wind up at the southern end of the map. Unless you want to count for the innacuracies of world maps due to the limitations of printing a round world on a flat surface, in which case the exact same thing could be said to the RPG world map.

Super Christ
08-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Yeah, duh. (http://www.timecube.com/)
Oh my god.

I feel like I've dropped 10 IQ points from reading a fraction of that drivel.