PDA

View Full Version : Sound byte capture program?

Necronopticous
08-17-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm looking for a good free program that I can use to capture sound bytes from my computer. Basically, I need the program to be able to record whatever sound is playing on my computer at any given time. Does anyone know a program like this? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Flying Mullet
08-17-2005, 08:01 PM
Ooooh, is <i>The Power of Cheese</i> taking it to the next level?

It's kinda low-tech but is it possible to use you computer's microphone and put it up to the speaker(s) and record the sounds?

Necronopticous
08-17-2005, 08:06 PM
Yeah, I thought of that, but it sounds extremely low quality. I'd like to keep the quality in tact if possible.

And no, xD It's not for FFIVATPOC. Although there was that time when Roogle and I recorded all of those bytes of us saying the textboxes from it.

Samuraid
08-17-2005, 08:11 PM
What soundcard do you have?

If you have any of the newer Soundblaster cards, you can simply select "What U Hear" as the recording source in the windows volume control panel. That allows you to digitally record what is coming out of your speakers.

If you don't, then I can't recommend any programs at the moment.

Necronopticous
08-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Hmm, I do have a fairly good Soundblaster, I'll check it out...

Shoeberto
08-17-2005, 08:25 PM
You could also use a male-male patch cable from your speaker to your microphone line in port and set that to record. You wouldn't be able to hear out of your speakers, though.

crono_logical
08-17-2005, 08:30 PM
If you open Volume Control (click the speaker icon in th tooltray), go to Options > Properties and change it to recording, you can change which device you're recording from using the Select boxes. You most likely want to choose Wave Out or similar as opposed to Line In or Microphone to record most normal output, and you shouldn't need a fancy sound card to do this :p Then you just record with whatever sound recording program you've got.

Necronopticous
08-17-2005, 08:42 PM
The What U Hear option that Samuraid suggested worked perfectly. Thanks, guys.