PDA

View Full Version : success

blackline77
08-17-2005, 09:05 PM
in a thread posted i saw some people sayin ff7 sold more than ff8,
before u say somethin, u should do some research, ff8 was the only final fantasy game to break seven's record of copys sold,in the same time frame which means it sold more than 7 in a shorter time period than 7 did making ff8 the better seller more.heres the proof.

GameSpot News on Tuesday received word that SquareSoft's flagship RPG Final Fantasy VIII has sold more than six million copies worldwide. To break down that figure, Japan has sold 3.61 million, North America has sold 1.35 million, Europe and other countries (including Australia, Far East Asia, and Africa) have sold 1.12 million copies. The game is already in the top five in PlayStation sales, and it has exceeded Final Fantasy VII in the number of copies sold within the same time frame.
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

G SpOtZ
08-17-2005, 09:06 PM
O_O interesting...? XD

congratulations?

blackline77
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
well thank thank u very much.

Yuffie514
08-18-2005, 12:09 AM
8 is great. it's the easiest FF for me to go back to. great story, characters, graphics. it's the one.

Mo-Nercy
08-18-2005, 12:25 AM
Eight's my favourite FF too, but sales don't necessarily mean a great game. Every Tomb Raider after the original has sucked and yet sells like mad. Every Myst game has sucked including the original and yet they sell rather well too.

Nice piece of info but it won't be changing the mind of anyone who thinks FF8 is a crap game.

G SpOtZ
08-18-2005, 06:07 AM
i thought tomb raider 3 was good. lol

Skyblade
08-18-2005, 06:10 AM
in a thread posted i saw some people sayin ff7 sold more than ff8,
before u say somethin, u should do some research, ff8 was the only final fantasy game to break seven's record of copys sold,in the same time frame which means it sold more than 7 in a shorter time period than 7 did making ff8 the better seller more.heres the proof.

GameSpot News on Tuesday received word that SquareSoft's flagship RPG Final Fantasy VIII has sold more than six million copies worldwide. To break down that figure, Japan has sold 3.61 million, North America has sold 1.35 million, Europe and other countries (including Australia, Far East Asia, and Africa) have sold 1.12 million copies. The game is already in the top five in PlayStation sales, and it has exceeded Final Fantasy VII in the number of copies sold within the same time frame.
DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

But FFVII has Sephiroth! It has to be better...

G SpOtZ
08-18-2005, 06:42 AM
But FFVII has Sephiroth! It has to be better...

TheAbominatrix
08-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Final Fantasy VII sold 8 million copies worldwide. Last I checked, 8 is bigger than 6.

Yes, VIII did break records when it sold by the volume at the time, but it still didnt exceed VII's totals. VII grossed more, and we can assume that the reason VIII sold so much so quickly is because VII made Final Fantasy popular outside of Japan for the first time.

So you may wanna do some research and actually realize that people are quite clearly talking about gross sales and not sales within a short period of time.

I'm not saying this because I love VII, I certainly dont. I'm not a big fan of either, to be honest.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-18-2005, 06:51 AM
We MUST shove this to the 4F (namely, of the "VII is God" variety).

blackline77
08-18-2005, 08:51 PM
well look it up RESEARCH a faster selling game means WHAT???? hmmmmmmm
MAYBE ITS BETTER DUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
THERES NO FIGHTING IT.HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

TheAbominatrix
08-18-2005, 08:55 PM
You arent making any sense. Look at the numbers, please.

Since it's release, Final Fantasy VII sold 8 million copies.
Since it's release, Final Fantasy VIII sold 6 million copies.
8 is bigger than 6, VII sold more.
When VIII was first released, it set records for selling so quickly. It did not, however, break VII's gross sales records, as it clearly states above.

This really isnt that hard to understand, is it?

Also, a game or movie selling well on it's release has nothing to do with the quality of the game. It has to do with name recognition (which VII built in this country) and advertising. After it's been out for a few weeks, then news regarding it's quality spreads through the community and boosts sales. That's why word of mouth becomes important for a film, but only after it's been released.

SeeDRankLou
08-18-2005, 11:09 PM
MAYBE ITS BETTER DUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Final Fantasy X-2 sold 1.9 million copies in 1 day in Japan. :tongue:

To give FFVIII some credit where it might be due, FFVII has had two more years to sell 8 millions copies than FFVIII has had to sell 6 million, and I wonder how much FFVII had sold at the 2003 mark. Also, I wonder if the FFVII sales are factoring in the FFVII International Version or not, as FFVIII had no international version for the Japanese audience to purchase.

Vyk
08-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Even if 8 did beat 7. I'd still acredit it to 7's popularity. Besides. Numbers don't portray quality. That's why there's such things as "Sleeper Hits". BG&E is a perfect example. Critically acclaimed, excellent reviews, loved by those that gave it a try, yet not many did give it a try in the end and it sold like crap. But that certainly doesn't mean it IS crap.

blackline77
08-20-2005, 03:23 AM
u know what guys read the first thing i posted again obliviously u didnt read it.
maybe u skipped over this part.(and it has exceeded Final Fantasy VII in the number of copies sold within the same time frame.) lats time i checked a faster selling game means that it has a high demand for it u know, like when gas is in high demand the price goes up.well its really not that hard to understand ok look ff7 was released first duhhhhhhhh so maybe a 2yr head start might give it just a little bit more sales dont u think.when 8 came out it started flyin everywhere.GET THAT!!!! 7 may have sold more i mean its only been out for 8 freaken years,but if u want to add every last one game it sold,(if it helps u sleep at night)then go ahead. but 8 hit it big when it came out and none of u guys can take that away. read this again-(and it has exceeded Final Fantasy VII in the number of copies sold within the same time frame.)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vyk
08-20-2005, 03:59 AM
I re-iterate my previous statement. People gobbled up FF8 because they were sold by FF7. They didn't feel like waiting around that time. Those are the people that are like "Hey, RPGs aren't too bad after all. I'ma get the next one ASAP!"

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2005, 03:59 AM
Yeah, you ignored everything we said. Everyone acknowledged that VIII sold more within the time frame, but it doesnt change the fact that VII still sold more on the whole, which is the point. VII made more money for Square, and that's what mattered.

But I'm sure you'll keep on with your 'omfg VIII sold a lot when it first was released', so go ahead.

G SpOtZ
08-20-2005, 08:20 AM
i lost my memory card =(

Skyblade
08-20-2005, 08:30 AM
Yeah, you ignored everything we said. Everyone acknowledged that VIII sold more within the time frame, but it doesnt change the fact that VII still sold more on the whole, which is the point. VII made more money for Square, and that's what mattered.

But I'm sure you'll keep on with your 'omfg VIII sold a lot when it first was released', so go ahead.

Not meaning to belabor the obvious, but VII has also been around longer. It's expected to have sold more.

(That should give him another post or two of bitching...)

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2005, 10:19 AM
The amount sold tapers off after a time. Neither have sold much in recent years, and VIII's sales tapered off after 6 million or so, while VII hung on to sell about 8 million. The games are by no means still selling copies in large amounts (though VII may soon start once Advent Children is released). If they barred sales of VII right now and gave VIII two years to catch up, it still isnt gonna sell 2 million more copies. The demand isnt there right now, and the same could be said of any FF game. The demand lasts for a year or so, or at least until the next FF comes out. Then sales slump.

I'm not refuting the fact that VIII was, until X-2, the fatest selling Final Fantasy. But it didnt break VII's totals, that's all I'm saying.

Blitz Ace
08-20-2005, 11:22 AM
clearly, lots of people bought VIII because they loved VII and expected it to be just as good... just as lots of people bought X-2 just because they loved X... but really, who cares.

number of copies sold does not make one better than another... it annoys me when people argue over statistics...

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2005, 11:25 AM
The only person claiming that sales stats have anything to do with quality is blackline.

As I've already said, I'm not arguing stats because I'm a fan of VII. VI is my favorite Final Fantasy, I know it sold less and I really don't care. Sales dont make one bit of difference to anyone but the company.

blackline77
08-20-2005, 05:25 PM
theres no use for u guys to keep talkin im gonna get the last word in this thread,
when u say people bought 8 cuz of 7 ur wrong,why? because if people thought it was going to be like 7 hmmm maybe after the first freaken 3 million sold, people would have realized it wasnt like 7 but no they kept buying it .ok. and when u said if they were to give 8 a 2 yr headstart now well duuhh its not gonna catch up NOW.its been 6 yrs.
look if u guys love 7 so much the 7fan forum is over there this is the 8 forum ok so get of my back and go over there. and when u say u dont care about sales ur lyin cuz if u dont why u arguin in this thread????? LOOK PEOPLE THE ONLY REASON I STARTED THIS THREAD IS I WAS READING IN ANOTHER THREAD THAT PEOPLE WERE SAYIN 7 WAS WAY MORE SUCCSSEFUL THAN 8, AND IM JUST TRYIN TO TELL U PEOPLE THAT IT WASNT AT ALL LIKE THAT.OK GUYS,ME I REALLY LIKED 7, BUT I JUST LIKED 8 MORE EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION.SO REMEMBER THERS A 7 FAN FORUM IF U LOVE IT SO MUCH GO THERE.

Skyblade
08-20-2005, 05:27 PM
theres no use for u guys to keep talkin im gonna get the last word in this thread,
when u say people bought 8 cuz of 7 ur wrong,why? because if people thought it was going to be like 7 hmmm maybe after the first freaken 3 million sold, people would have realized it wasnt like 7 but no they kept buying it .ok. and when u said if they were to give 8 a 2 yr headstart now well duuhh its not gonna catch up NOW.its been 6 yrs.
look if u guys love 7 so much the 7fan forum is over there this is the 8 forum ok so get of my back and go over there. and when u say u dont care about sales ur lyin cuz if u dont why u arguin in this thread????? LOOK PEOPLE THE ONLY REASON I STARTED THIS THREAD IS I WAS READING IN ANOTHER THREAD THAT PEOPLE WERE SAYIN 7 WAS WAY MORE SUCCSSEFUL THAN 8, AND IM JUST TRYIN TO TELL U PEOPLE THAT IT WASNT AT ALL LIKE THAT.OK GUYS,ME I REALLY LIKED 7, BUT I JUST LIKED 8 MORE EVERYONE HAS THEIR OWN OPINION.SO REMEMBER THERS A 7 FAN FORUM IF U LOVE IT SO MUCH GO THERE.

While I'm quite sure that you will get the last word with this attitude, maybe you should put more effort into making it an intellegible word...

blackline77
08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
well give me some ideas, there like a pack of wolves.

Skyblade
08-20-2005, 05:29 PM
Ok, acknowledge that they are both good games and drop the conversation. The battle won't get you anywhere.

blackline77
08-20-2005, 05:41 PM
thats basicly what i did in my last post.

Vyk
08-20-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm not here to be a FF7 fanboy. I'm not bashing FF8. I'm simply stating the facts. A lot of role players were weened on 7. Therefor they bought 8. Its not like after FF7 RPGs were gonna go right back to being a niche genre. RPGs as a genre is quite good, and a lot of people's eyes were opened. You may not like FF7 as much, if at all. But 8's sales were clearly related to it. Its success on the other hand might be given to its own merit. I'm just saying it sold fast because people were anticipating it. And they were anticipating it because they loved FF7. (Also, I suppose a few were anticipating it in the hopes that it would make up for FF7)

blackline77
08-20-2005, 07:50 PM
well, i do like 7 its just that i didnt appreciate people sayin 8 was no where near as succssesful as 7. anyways thanks a lot for the posts this has been my best thread yet.
i mean the most replies.

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2005, 08:17 PM
No one is bashing VIII. No one is saying VII is better. It not being as succesful as VII is a fact. That DOESNT make it a bad game. It made a lot of money and did very well. Freaking out on people for stating facts is very childish in my opinion, and very unneccesary. You say 'everyone has their own opinion' and then proceed to tell people to get out of the thread if they dont agree with you. Which makes even less sense because NO ONE is saying that VII is a better game.

blackline77
08-20-2005, 08:28 PM
what r u talkin about. i just said if u love 7 go to its fan forum, i never told any one to get out because of a disagreement, NOW lyin is pretty childish if u ask me. i havent said anything about 7 or 8 being better.u just wont shut it.lol

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2005, 08:47 PM

Yeah, sure.

No one here is talking about loving VII. We're simply saying that it sold more copies. I dont know why that's such a big deal to you, but whatever.

blackline77
08-20-2005, 08:53 PM
ohh come on u make it seem like im hating on everyone, i liked 7 ok. i know it sold more but there were other factors,that have already been explained. some people just said 8 was no where near as succsessful as 7, i was simply saying that was not the case.ok. i was just trying to give this forum some life.ok bite me.

TheAbominatrix
08-20-2005, 08:54 PM
I'm definitly not trying to make it seem like that, and I certainly apologize if it came across that way.

blackline77
08-20-2005, 08:56 PM
yeah thats cool i mean were all friends here right.