PDA

View Full Version : Religious Games

General-Beatrix
08-18-2005, 01:32 AM
I was watching the news and the news says that Christian video game makers are planning to make Christian video games as an alternative to "violent" games. Would buy or play them?

*Can I post this?*

edczxcvbnm
08-18-2005, 01:37 AM
I will if they are fun and there has been at least one bible game I found fun.

You played as Mary, Joseph and a camel. Mary had to jump through town, Joseph through some mountains/river area and the camel through a cave. It was fun.

Having said that, it was on the NES and didn't come close to beating most games but it wasn't bad at all. I much prefer the difficult Ninja Gaiden(I HATE YOU JAQUIO!)

The Man
08-18-2005, 01:37 AM
If they start doing that I'll buy a bunch of violent, anti-religious, scatological, sex-filled video games in protest.

Rengori
08-18-2005, 01:43 AM
If they start doing that I'll buy a bunch of violent, anti-religious, scatological, sex-filled video games in protest.
Way ahead of you (look at sig). No, I'm not a Satanist.

Lindy
08-18-2005, 01:44 AM
I think they're trying to respond to FF Tactics.

I also think they're a few years late.

Del Murder
08-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Alright! Full conversion!

Psychotic
08-18-2005, 01:47 AM
Grand Theft Auto: Jerusalem. Naturally you play as Jesus.

The best mission is the one where you have to do a driveby on Judas with your homies John, James and the Buddha (Hey, if CJ can have Cesar...)

General-Beatrix
08-18-2005, 02:10 AM

The best mission is the one where you have to do a driveby on Judas with your homies John, James and the Buddha (Hey, if CJ can have Cesar...)

I'll bet people would scream like little girls if that happens.

DJZen
08-18-2005, 02:13 AM
There's been many biblical games already. None of them have ever sold well. Probably because most of them are edutainmental or just plain stupid. Konami's Noah's Ark got blasted by somethingawful.com recently.

Aphelion
08-18-2005, 02:18 AM
I wouldn't buy them at all. If I can't bear games where religion is involved but isn't criticised, how can I bear a game where religion is going to be the main theme AND the "good part" of the plot? No, I wouldn't buy it...NEVER...

Seriousness aside...I'd love to see a GTA:Jerusalem, but it would be great to play as Satan too...And the police would be the apostles...How fun! *starts shooting apostles in his mind*

Don't take what I said that seriously; it's not my intent to criticise anyone's religion...But that would be just FUN. :D

Slothy
08-18-2005, 02:21 AM

Now that's the sort of premise that makes religion fun.

I've got no problem with anyone making Christian games, but honestly, I wouldn't play them no matter how good they are. I'm not a Christian myself, and if I really wanted some exposure to Christianity, I'd go to a church.

General-Beatrix
08-18-2005, 02:24 AM
I wouldn't buy them at all. If I can't bear games where religion is involved but isn't criticised, how can I bear a game where religion is going to be the main theme AND the "good part" of the plot? No, I wouldn't buy it...NEVER...

Seriousness aside...I'd love to see a GTA:Jerusalem, but it would be great to play as Satan too...And the police would be the apostles...How fun! *starts shooting apostles in his mind*

Don't take what I said that seriously; it's not my intent to criticise anyone's religion...But that would be just FUN. :D

Since it IS a religious game, you could play as Satan.

P.S. I am NOT a satanist and I am NOT criticising anybody's religion. *oh god am i?*

The Summoner of Leviathan
08-18-2005, 02:25 AM
Or a like on that Simpsons episode where Rod and Tod are pplaying a game and the object is to convert all the Heretics.

General-Beatrix
08-18-2005, 02:42 AM
Or a like on that Simpsons episode where Rod and Tod are pplaying a game and the object is to convert all the Heretics.

Maybe what i meant to say is that they are making MORE religous games.

I think that game that rod and tod was called the Bible Blaster or something.

OFF TOPIC

Rod or Todd:"Quick! Convert the heathens!" Bart: Alright full conversion!

Erdrick Holmes
08-18-2005, 03:41 AM
Billy Gram's Bible Blaster.

They're already making some, I think I posted about one some time ago.

Meat Puppet
08-18-2005, 05:21 AM
try to get mary pregnant without breaking her virginity
puzzle video game
tougher than it sounds

Dreddz
08-18-2005, 09:51 AM
This is stupid....

ThroneofDravaris
08-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Religious Leisure Suit Larry:

He died a virgin. Now Christ is back...

...and randy as hell!

DJZen
08-19-2005, 07:15 AM
I think you guys don't understand how many religiously themed games are already on the market.....

Two words: Wisdom Tree

The Man
08-19-2005, 05:19 PM
Religious Leisure Suit Larry:

He died a virgin. Now Christ is back...

...and randy as hell!That could be the best game ever.

eestlinc
08-19-2005, 05:46 PM

xD

Blame yourself or God.

krissy
08-20-2005, 04:01 AM
i remember there was this one fps where you shot demons with holy water i think? think sa did an article on it
anyway i don't mind at all, a bible rpg would be cool

Raistlin
08-20-2005, 04:05 AM

xD

Blame yourself or God.
Exactly what I thought, too.

Rase
08-20-2005, 04:27 AM
Your prayers, answered. (http://www.discountchristian.com/design/html/games/cgestore_frm.html)

Here also. (http://www.cyberxian.com/MediaX/xcomputer.html)

I've actually played this one. (http://www.saintsofvirtue.com/) It was surprisingly fun at the time (I was 9-11, I think) and I enjoyed it. The only other religious game I've played is Bible Adventures. (http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/w20-19.htm) :p

Fithos
08-20-2005, 05:19 AM
i remember there was this one fps where you shot demons with holy water i think? think sa did an article on it

ya, you read some of that old testiment stuff, and its full of vengefull god stuff. i mean you could make some really cool video games out of that stuff. you could make video games about how christians were killed in ancient rome, or how about the crusades, those were religious, but would still make cool games.

i think you could do some fun stuff with religious games, but people will still shun them because they are religious.

(if its fun, who cares?)

Excelsior
08-20-2005, 07:16 AM
[!]I dont understand why people are still posting in this thread. Who gives a /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif? If it sucks, it sucks, and even if it sucks, I dont see the whole reason to make a thread about how it sucks. All I'm seeing is a bunch of people making fun of the idea that religion can be the main thing in a video game. Making this whole thread RETARDED.[/!]

Thank you for that. If you can't make a post without being abrasive and not adding anything to the discussion, don't make it at all.

~Void

Yuffie514
08-20-2005, 09:32 AM
first response is to not even try to buy one. but, everything deserves a try. hey, beats all the Barbie games. i know Tenchu is like temptation...

Rengori
08-20-2005, 06:16 PM
I think you might be talking about DooM or something.

Ryth
08-20-2005, 07:16 PM
As long as it was good. I would buy it but I don't know how many different genres they can actually do with it. I mean I can only think of are point and click and party games that'd be suitable for it. Has anyone played Captain Bible? my mom got it but it ended up being too old to run on my computer. I just wanna know what people thought of it.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-20-2005, 09:29 PM
Actually, I'm gonna skip that department. As far as I know, they'll have Klansmen as the heroes (offtopic: back in the 1920's in the US, everyone was in favor of the union of church and state; the most powerful Christian group at the time that even wielded political power was the KKK) and liberals (off-topic: they undid what had the KKK done, which was evident since the Brown vs Topeka Board of Education case) & seculars (off-topic: all throughout history, they learned that the Roman Catholic church even resorted to Anti-Semitism since the Dark Ages, the KKK, preaching Christianity, until now, radical Islam fundamentalists, telling Arab women to turn themselves Stepford-- all in the name of Allah) as the villains.

Fithos
08-20-2005, 10:51 PM
i can think of good ways to do rts's,rpg's, and puzzle solving games. and possible ways to do fps style games, all based off of religious ideas/teachings/actions.

Spammerman
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
Probably not, but just wait, one day there gonna cross the line in christian games and parents are gonna see theyre kids playin as the people against jesus, and jam down the thorn crown or make him carry a cross.

bipper
08-23-2005, 10:01 PM
Why would it be bad making christan video games?

Most of what I have seen from final fantasy is that is based off religion even. A lot of games, movies, and stories are plays off of differnt legends and religions.

Whats one more that actually cearly states where it got its infulence from :rolleyes2

Bipper

Rengori
08-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Whats one more that actually cearly states where it got its infulence from :rolleyes2:
*remembers Chrono Trigger*