PDA

View Full Version : Raistlin (spoilers)

theundeadhero
08-18-2005, 06:40 PM
Anyone who knows the story of Raistlin knows what happened when he took his test. In order to defeat the Dark Elf he accepted the "help" offered to him in the tower. I just finished The Legacy in the book, The Magic of Krynn, and something caught me interest. The current heads of magic, which were different considering it was 30 years into the future since Raistlin took his test, believed that Raistlin could have passed the Dark Elf trail without accepting help but he "took the easy way out". Discuss whether you think he could or not. Keep in mind that the current head of the Black Robes was the very assistant of Raistlin while he was studying to overthrow The Dark Queen and that "taking theeasy way out" doesn't seem much like Raistlin at all.

-N-
08-18-2005, 10:00 PM
I'll give this topic 24 hours before I spam it with standard oldbie crap.

Chibi Angel
08-18-2005, 11:44 PM
I've read some of those books, I did read Soulforge and it didn't seem much to me like he was taking the easy way out, that dosen't seem in his personality at all.

Quina
08-19-2005, 01:38 AM
Oh no not this again.

The Man
08-19-2005, 02:04 AM
I'll give this topic 24 hours before I spam it with standard oldbie crap.
I'll join you when you do. http://www.fools-gold.org/forum/images/smilies/ezpimp.gif

Raistlin
08-19-2005, 02:17 AM
No, he couldn't have. I mean, he was a novice mage who used all of his skill and training to cast an <i>illusion spell</i> on Tasselhoff a couple of months prior to the Test. He couldn't go up against three powerful dark elves.

I don't think he was meant to, either. Fistandantilus said the Conclave made it that way to try and kill Raistlin if he made the choices which led him to Fisty. I don't know whether he can be believed or not, but sounds plausible enough.

theundeadhero
08-19-2005, 06:19 AM
Fistandantilus said the Conclave made it that way to try and kill Raistlin if he made the choices which led him to Fisty. I don't know whether he can be believed or not, but sounds plausible enough.
The problem with that I see is if the conclave purposely set the dark elves there to stop him in case he chose the darker path, then what would of happened had he chosen not to? He would have died without deserving it since he didn't accept the help. It was because of that part of the trail that he did accept the help, and he still lived despite the attempts to kill him. Could it be said that it was because of what the conclave did to him that he chose to accept it? If so, did the conclave want him to accept it because without it then 5 years down the road he might not have been willing to make the choices and sacrafices he had to in order to dawn the Black Robes and play his part in the defeat of the Dragon Queen?

It's been a few years since I read most of the other books so a lot of the finer details are a little fuzzy.

Raistlin
08-20-2005, 08:36 PM
The problem with that I see is if the conclave purposely set the dark elves there to stop him in case he chose the darker path, then what would of happened had he chosen not to? He would have died without deserving it since he didn't accept the help.
No. As Fisty said, Raistlin didn't have to ignore the warning someone gave him before he entered the inn, he didn't have to enter that particular inn, and he didn't have to talk with the dark elves, and he definitely didn't have to agree with their plan. He could've followed a different path and faced a different set of challenges. Remember - the Test is designed so that the people they allow to take will be <i>highly likely</i> to pass(barring unforeseen circumstances - such as Fisty).

Could it be said that it was because of what the conclave did to him that he chose to accept it? If so, did the conclave want him to accept it because without it then 5 years down the road he might not have been willing to make the choices and sacrafices he had to in order to dawn the Black Robes and play his part in the defeat of the Dragon Queen?
You overestimate the Conclave. :p

Mercen-X
08-20-2005, 08:38 PM
I have no idea who the hell the Raistlin is. How old is he? Is he a zombie? Or does he just look that way?

Raistlin = chick . . . or chicken. It's one of the two.

Raistlin
08-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Raistlin is...something like 26 at the start of the books. No, he's not a zombie. Yes, he may at times look like one. No, he's not a chick, despite the rumors. :p

Shlup
08-20-2005, 10:19 PM
Everytime I think to say something in this thread I see someone taking it out of context to make me suicidal so I'll just say pie and :<3:.

Raistlin
08-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Like "Raistlin Majere makes me hot?" :p

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-20-2005, 11:32 PM
As was stated earlier, he didn't have to make the decisions that led him in that direction.

However, I've seen different versions of Raistlin's test, and though the one in Soulforge seems to be taken as canon most other books seem to mention only one dark elf (and some reference it being Dalamar), and it was also said that the testee would have to face at least one person of a higher rank in combat.

Personally, I think that had the test played out as it would have normally, Raistlin would have merely found the texts, at which point he might not have had to fight the dark elves at all, depending on how it played out.

Raistlin
08-20-2005, 11:42 PM
However, I've seen different versions of Raistlin's test, and though the one in Soulforge seems to be taken as canon most other books seem to mention only one dark elf (and some reference it being Dalamar), and it was also said that the testee would have to face at least one person of a higher rank in combat.
Since DL has had 584759832475980423 different authors over the years, I go by whatever Weis/Hickman say about it. And since even Weis/Hickman have contradicted themselves at various points, I'd go by what Weis wrote in <i>Soulforge</i>, since Weis created the character Raistlin in the first place(along with the Test and what Raistlin experienced there).
And I do remember references to "the dark elf" instead of "dark elves" - but it definitely wasn't Dalamar. As you said - one of the challenges Raistlin would face was a mage that outranked him. And Dalamar never outranked Raistlin(plus, people don't directly participate in the Test - unless you're Fisty). At the time of Raistlin's Test, I don't think Dalamar had even taken his.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-20-2005, 11:44 PM
It's mentioned in passing, if I find the book I'll quote the passage. But you are right though, I think Dalamar was around Raistlin's rank at that point.

It's just an interesting thing to note. If I recall correctly, I think it's said by one of the members of the conclave, might have been Justarius in one of the books. My memory is a wee bit foggy.

Raistlin
08-20-2005, 11:47 PM
Par-Salian mentioned Dalamar in <i>Soulforge.</i> Something about if Raistlin died or didn't work out or something, he would find someone else, and that Ladonna had mentioned a promising young elf named Dalamar. Is that what you're talking about? Because if you're saying that something about Dalamar being the dark-elf in the Test was mentioned in the Weis/Hickman books, I don't remember anything like that; and even though I haven't read the books in years, I have read all of them several times over.

The Man
08-21-2005, 02:37 AM
I got Weis's new Dragonlance book today and reading this thread has reminded me that I don't remember any of it. *cries*

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 02:50 AM
Weis wrote a new DragonLance book? =o

I haven't checked the DL section at the bookstore in...a long time.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 02:55 AM
Is the first of the Dark Chronicles out? I haven't been keeping up on it. Unless you're talking about another Weis book.

The Man
08-21-2005, 02:56 AM
If you mean Dark Disciple series, then yep. And it's in paperback, which surprised me; I thought I was going to have to shell out at least $18.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 02:57 AM
Damn. I was hoping for the third part of the Raistlin Chronicles.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 02:58 AM
I hadn't heard the official title; we were just referring to it as the "Dark Chronicles" since it shadows Chronicles.

But that means it has Raistlin in it! Yippie!

The Man
08-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Damn. I was hoping for the third part of the Raistlin Chronicles.so was I, but new main plot isn't exactly a downer.

I hadn't heard the official title; we were just referring to it as the "Dark Chronicles" since it shadows Chronicles.

But that means it has Raistlin in it! Yippie!actually, this is a sequel to War of Souls, so it probably wasn't what you were thinking it was. Gutted.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 03:03 AM
Damn. Well, maybe it is Dark Chronicles then. It's Chronicles over again with more focus on Kitiara and all that shamaz.

Oh well, guess I have to go to the book store.

The Man
08-21-2005, 03:05 AM
since Mina is a central character of the book, my guess is that Kitiara is long dead. Unless she's been resurrected.

personally, I'd do either of them

Shlup
08-21-2005, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I just didn't know Weis was working on something after War of Souls at the same time she and Hickman are supposed to be working on Dark Chronicles.

So I looked it up and noticed it was the paperback that was just released. The hardcover came out a year ago. So you're reading Amber and Ashes then? I heard it wasn't that good.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 03:10 AM
Damn. Well, maybe it is Dark Chronicles then. It's Chronicles over again with more focus on Kitiara and all that shamaz.

Oh well, guess I have to go to the book store.
What the hell are you talking about? It's a <i>sequel</i> to <i>War of the Souls</i>. You know, with Mina and Palin and all them, y'know, <i>non-Chronicles</i> characters. :p

EDIT: woah, Weis/Hickman are working on a different version of Chronicles?

The Man
08-21-2005, 03:11 AM
Yeah, I just didn't know Weis was working on something after War of Souls at the same time she and Hickman are supposed to be working on Dark Chronicles.

So I looked it up and noticed it was the paperback that was just released. The hardcover came out a year ago. So you're reading Amber and Ashes then? I heard it wasn't that good.Bah, I hadn't known that it had been out before that. The only reason I knew about it at all is 'cause Godard made a thread a couple weeks ago.

I haven't started it yet, but it stands to reason that soon I will be reading it. ;p

Shlup
08-21-2005, 03:14 AM
EDIT: woah, Weis/Hickman are working on a different version of Chronicles?
Yes, fatty. Keep up.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 03:48 AM
I haven't "kept up" on DL since War of the Souls ended. xD

Shlup
08-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Then don't act so surprised with your fancy "whoa"ing. I only "keep up" by reading the occasional post made on the dragonlance LJ community.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 04:04 AM
I said "woah" once, fatty.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 04:07 AM
I wasn't implying that you did more than once, stooooopid.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 04:10 AM
...wasn't implying that I did...what? I didn't say that you implied anything.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 04:13 AM
You implied that I implied that you said "woah" more than once. Or something.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 04:14 AM
Hahahahaha, ok, fatty. Whatever you say.

See how easy it is if you dismiss the whole "logic" thing? :p

Shlup
08-21-2005, 04:26 AM
Oh, get off it.

The Man
08-21-2005, 04:32 AM
this is easily the most pathetic argument I have ever read on the internet.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 04:33 AM
...we were joking around, Aaron. Good god.

The Man
08-21-2005, 04:37 AM
I knew that you were joking; I'm not dumb.

It's still the most pathetic argument I've ever read.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 04:40 AM
I don't see an argument.

The Man
08-21-2005, 04:48 AM
I don't see.
:p

Teek
08-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Yeah, seemed too trivial to be an argument.

DMKA
08-21-2005, 04:49 AM
Fail.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 05:03 AM
I can't help it if Raist is fat and stupid.

Now quit spamming 'cause I like this thread!

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-21-2005, 06:36 AM
As do I, stop yer spamming.

Anyways, I know it wasn't in the Soulforge that the line was, it was in another book entirely, not one written by Weis and Hickman I don't think. I do remember that Dalamar was mentioned by Ladonna, though.

Anyways, back on topic people. Or make more Dragonlance threads to cover them all. That'd be nice. We need more of those.

Jojee
08-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Hahaha nerds ;)

And I think Raistlin could not have passed the test by himself, he's just not that smart.

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 07:27 PM
As do I, stop yer spamming.

Anyways, I know it wasn't in the Soulforge that the line was, it was in another book entirely, not one written by Weis and Hickman I don't think.

Yeah, some of those non-Weis/Hickman authors are pretty dumb. :p

Anyways, back on topic people. Or make more Dragonlance threads to cover them all. That'd be nice. We need more of those.
I used to make a DL thread every few months(back at EzBoard/UBB/early vB) to try and convert people. I got a sizeable chunk of people to read them. And DGC, which is better in almost everyway except one: it doesn't have Raistlin.

Shlup
08-21-2005, 11:20 PM
I refuse to read any non-Weis/Hickman (at least one of them) books. Just not gonna go there.

DK
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Hello, I like waffles. A bear, you say? Insubordinance!

I don't get what the fuss about this "Raistlin" is all about. :(

Raistlin
08-21-2005, 11:29 PM
Some of them are okay. Like <i>Legend of Huma</i>. That's a pretty good read.

I just avoid the non-Weis/Hickman books that are about the Weis/Hickman characters. Those are typically bad.

EDIT: In response to Shlup.

In response to Kyono: wtf?

DK
08-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Aiyon. :cool:

Edit: I've only just realised what your avatar means. I probably should have looked at it closer sooner.