PDA

View Full Version : ending (spoilers, duh)

eestlinc
08-20-2005, 03:47 AM
So I finally got around to beating the end of the game. Altima is way too easy (too slow!). I was like ok, maybe the hard part is coming up and it just says "you have completed the game" but anyway. The ending was a little bit of a letdown. i wish it were longer.

So what does Olan mean when he says "He pretended to kill her and let her go when he learned her true identity." I guess Olan is speaking about Balmafula, but what's her true identity? Delita didn't "pretend to kill her", he cut out her tongue. Kinda strange...

Despotus
08-21-2005, 04:30 AM
Congratulations Eestlinc!! How many hours did you put in, just out of curiosity? You are so right on about Altima being soooo slow. She's a bit of a disappointment :mad:

As for what Olan said, I feel he was probably alluding to what happened between Delita and "Ovelia". I think Delita developed too strong of a bond with her to really kill her. She was, after all, a commoner like him who was lied to and used. I think Ovelia's death may have been faked. Just hypothesizing though...

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 05:06 AM
my time on the final save is 59:31:46. I took my time levelling and I got Worker 8, but I haven't done the Nelveska Temple or Deep Dungeon. I had been working pretty much through the game non stop, but then I got stuck on the fight with Balk and the dragons and let it sit for a good three months. :D

The whole fight with Altima she only got off one casting of Meteor, but I had a party of fast ranged attackers (Orlandu, Worker 8, Agrias as Chemist equipped with Blast Gun, Ramza as Lancer, and a Summoner).

It makes more sense if Olan is talking about Ovelia, except he looks like he points at Balmafula when he says it, and I thought the scene with Delita and Ovelia at the end occurs later than the scene at the graveyard.

BG-57
08-21-2005, 03:54 PM
There's a much earlier cutscene where Delita discovers that his ally Balmafuda is a spy (for Murond Church I believe) and it looks like he's going to kill her. We hear her scream after the picture fades and we're left to assume she was killed.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 06:26 PM
that's not that much earlier, but yea, that must be what it means. But didn't Delita always know Balmafula was a spy for the church?

BG-57
08-22-2005, 02:47 AM
The big surpise isn't so much that she's a spy but that Delita spares her. It's very out of character for him.

eestlinc
08-22-2005, 03:45 AM
true, but he likes her.

Prancing Mad
08-22-2005, 04:03 AM
All I can say is I love the pathos and irony of the fact that Ovelia and Delita end up killing each other. Delita is such a well-developed character. I believe he really did love her in the end, but she couldn't trust a man who smashed so many people to get to where he was. That distrust grew, and they ended up killing each other. Dang tactics has such a good storyline.

eestlinc
08-22-2005, 05:20 AM
and really, Ovelia's probably still pissed he kidnapped her in the first place.

DocFrance
08-23-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty sure Delita didn't just let Balmafula go - I remember hearing somewhere that he cut out her tongue. I also happen to believe that both Ovelia and Delita died in the end, and that, really, Olan and Balmafula were the only characters to survive the whole story.

Despotus
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
Olan and Balmafula were the only characters to survive the whole story.
Naah, Besrodio must have lived to find some more interesting junk.
And Cloud? Who knows where he ended up, maybe he returned to the FF7 dimension. ;)

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 03:20 PM
so do Agrias, Mustadio, and company all die? Why would they die yet Alma and Ramza live?

I'm pretty sure Delita didn't just let Balmafula go - I remember hearing somewhere that he cut out her tongue.
Yea, that's why she can't speak at the end.

BG-57
08-23-2005, 03:29 PM
I think the conventional wisdom that got passed down as the traditional history was that everyone with Ramza died. Naturally Olan seeing Ramza and Alma at the funeral directly contradicted this. Essentially the 'Brave Story' in Tactics is a revisionist history of those events.

So there's no reason that Meliadoul, Agrias and the others didn't make it, we just don't see them. There's no way to know for sure, but I hope they did.

-N-
08-23-2005, 05:06 PM
I think the conventional wisdom that got passed down as the traditional history was that everyone with Ramza died. Naturally Olan seeing Ramza and Alma at the funeral directly contradicted this. Essentially the 'Brave Story' in Tactics is a revisionist history of those events.It is also noted that Olan was burned at the stake for attempting to reveal these truths and contradictions, but I can't remember where for the life of me.

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 05:57 PM
Alazlam tells you this in the ending before the credits roll.

-N-
08-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Well that would explain it, seeing as how I've only beaten the game twice, and simply stopping right before the end all the other times. :p