PDA

View Full Version : Mortal Kombat vs. Street Fighter

Excelsior
08-20-2005, 09:08 AM
That's it, I had an arguement today with a friend about whether Mortal Kombat is better then Street Fighter or not, so now I have to make a poll to show that everyone likes Street Fighter better then Mortal Kombat. (or at least, they better. :p ) Anyway, vote Street Fighter. You'll feel good about it.

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-20-2005, 09:13 AM
*waits for Joel to find*

Anyways, Street Fighter because it has some semblance of a coherent plot and doesn't get boring like Mortal Kombat does after you see all the fatalities. And it doesn't spell everything with a K which annoys the krap out of me. Krap. Crap. CRAP!

NM
08-20-2005, 09:31 AM
I'm not even going to explain why Street Fighter is better that Mortal Kombat, i've done it to many time's already. *Votes Street Fighter.*

Dreddz
08-20-2005, 11:01 AM
SF > MK

Lionx
08-20-2005, 11:27 AM
SF is way better, not only because of the more original characters(outside shotos blahhhhh x_x), but the play mechanics if you look deep enough is WAY deeper than MK. Theres a 50 page game mechanic on CvsS2 alone on GameFAQs written by a tournie top player named Buktooth..i really dont think theres anything even close to that on MK. MK is all about graphics and fatalities, SF in general, provides and focuses on whats important, the gameplay depth.

Maxico
08-20-2005, 12:51 PM
There's just no competition.

Shoden
08-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Mortal Kombat at least it's more violent, you can throw people to pirhanas!

DK
08-20-2005, 01:11 PM
I fail to understand why you people constantly fail to recognise Shaq Fu as the greatest.

Aphelion
08-20-2005, 01:20 PM
Street Fighter.

Slothy
08-20-2005, 01:40 PM
Street Fighter is obviously the better fighter no comparison. But you've got to remember, Mortal Kombat was just plain fun when it came out. Even with it's pretty basic fighting, me and my friends could sit around for hours playing it back in the day. I can credit this game with getting me into fighting games originally, so it's really hard for me to be too hard on it. Not the best fighter ever, but it was always a lot of fun.

Del Murder
08-20-2005, 06:22 PM
MK is more fun.

crashNUMBERS
08-20-2005, 06:25 PM
*waits for Joel to find*

Anyways, Street Fighter because it has some semblance of a coherent plot and doesn't get boring like Mortal Kombat does after you see all the fatalities. And it doesn't spell everything with a K which annoys the krap out of me. Krap. Crap. CRAP!
Voyd. My reputation for you has now grown. good job!!

MK is more fun.
*Punches*

Chibi Angel
08-20-2005, 06:50 PM
I like Mortal Kombat better, but I've never played street fighter so I really don't know if it's better.

Shoden
08-20-2005, 06:54 PM
Mortal Kombat is more violent with more ways of fighting

Sephex
08-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Both of the series newer games bore me for the most part, and the older ones, while cool, haven't really held a special place in my heart when compared to other game series.

Ryth
08-20-2005, 07:07 PM
SF is better in every category..No comparison..Mortal Kombat was just bloody with those fatalities and over abundance of blood that gets really old....behind the gore MK is extremely medicore.

Shoden
08-20-2005, 07:08 PM
i prefer fighting games with easy to do pwnage combos, alot of gore, and lots of ways to kill

Lindy
08-20-2005, 07:11 PM
Mortal Kombat is good, clean, easy fun, rather than having to learn pages and pages of QCF HCB HK HP.

Del Murder
08-20-2005, 07:14 PM
Yeah that's pretty much what I think. I play RPGs to think. I play fighting games to fight.

Lindy
08-20-2005, 07:21 PM
Get over here!

Shoeberto
08-20-2005, 07:24 PM
That's my same thinking. I like a game I can pick up and play, not something I have to spend hours upon hours on in order to have the slightest chance of not getting totally owned.

DJZen
08-20-2005, 09:42 PM
Mortal Kombat is all shlock, Street Fighter has substance. The creative juices of Mortal Kombat stopped flowing long ago. Street Fighter has Dan Hibiki.

Lionx
08-20-2005, 09:48 PM
Mortal Kombat is all shlock, Street Fighter has substance. The creative juices of Mortal Kombat stopped flowing long ago. Street Fighter has Dan Hibiki.

Torren wins at the internet.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-20-2005, 09:50 PM
Street Fighter ALPHA 3 PWNS!

I just had to say that.

Erdrick Holmes
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Comapiring Mortal Kombat to Street Fighter is like compairing a tricycle to a Harley Davidson.

SF is better without question. Play the two. SF has better characters, better story, better graphics, better sound, and better gameplay. MK is too much of a newbie fighter, the only people that appeal to it have ADD and can't memorize button combos containing more than three buttons.

Plus Street Fighter has Ken, the biggest ladies man any video game has ever had.

Tama2
08-20-2005, 10:12 PM
Street Fighter ALPHA 3 PWNS!

I just had to say that.

Yes it does.

Shoeberto
08-20-2005, 10:17 PM
MK is too much of a newbie fighter, the only people that appeal to it have ADD and can't memorize button combos containing more than three buttons.
It is a newbie fighter, but some people would rather play something like that. It'd be like me saying that people who play the original Doom are idiots, because it doesn't have the strategy of Counter-strike. It's not that they're dumb, it's that they like quick, fun, mindless entertainment. That's what Mortal Kombat is.

Lindy
08-20-2005, 10:22 PM
It may shock you Joel, but some people don't WANT to have to memorize long button combos in order to have fun.

Erdrick Holmes
08-20-2005, 10:38 PM
Ok, try this. Move your left thumb clockwise. Now counterclockwise. If you can sucessfully move it in both directions you can play a Street Fighter game.

Lindy
08-20-2005, 10:42 PM
Funnily enough, I've tried playing a Street Fighter game with just basic combos, it doesn't work.

You can't just say "lolz u hcf hcb n u kin play", 'cause it's not true.

Del Murder
08-20-2005, 11:37 PM
I still like Street Fighter games. I just didn't find many of the characters or moves appealing. I like freezing someone or tossing a harpoon in their chest. Marvel vs. Capcom II is my favorite fighting game ever though. The Street Fighter gameplay needs the coolness of Marvel heroes to be worthy in my opinion.

I also like the Fatalities.

Captain Maxx Power
08-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Mortal Kombat. I be loving the Fatalities and the Technomusic and the crazy films with one of me favourite bucaneers, Christopher Lambart (yar, he be a Pirate for sure).

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-20-2005, 11:42 PM
Marvel vs. Capcom II is my second favorite fighting game ever though.

I support this comment, given that Smash Bros. is the most wonderful fighting game ever.

Street Fighter isn't too difficult, but I don't play it for mastery or whatever, I rarely ever play fighting games and I don't have too much trouble with either MK or SF. I just tend to like Street Fighter more, MK seems a bit too basic after you've seen all the fatalities.

Mercen-X
08-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Get over here!
Mortal Kombat movie pwns Street Fighter movie.
Mortal Kombat character designs pwn Street Fighter.
Mortal kombat special moves pwn Street Fighter.

Street Fighter does have . . . something.

Excelsior
08-21-2005, 12:40 AM
Funnily enough, I've tried playing a Street Fighter game with just basic combos, it doesn't work.

Which Street Fighter game were you playing? Im pretty sure I just went through Street Fighter Alpha 3 on Hard using only Ryu's Hadoken cuz i didnt want to learn anything else.

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I forget about Smash, yeah that's better.

Doomie
08-21-2005, 01:00 AM
Yep, Super Smash Brothers Melee pwns both. But for the poll, I'll go with SF.

Craig
08-21-2005, 01:05 AM
Well, I've only Played SF2 and MK2, and SF is funner but MK has that guy that comes in and says "Toastie" when you uppercut so it wins.

DJZen
08-21-2005, 01:18 AM
Since when do you have to memorize 5 pages of moves to be good at SF? Most characters don't have more than 3 specials, Charlie and Guile only have 2 (I don't count knee bazooka as a special). All those combos are just sequences of moves that work together, which you don't really have memorize more than one or two of. In Mortal Kombat, every character plays exactly the same. What's that sequence for an uppercut again? Oh yeah, the exact same one it is for everyone. In MK1 the characters all had pretty much the same specials too. Everyone had a projectile, and a forward moving attack. The only exceptions are Sonya's scissor throw and Johnny Cage's split punch. Plus, fatalities get boring. It was cool back in 1994 when violence was still a big deal. Ripping someone's head off was still novel. By MK3, everyone ripped off heads, cut people in half, burned them, or did something else generic and forgettable.

Street Fighter may catch a lot of flak for having too many Shotos, but MK has WAY too many Lin Kieu. Sub Zero, Scorpion, Reptile, Rain, Ermac, Smoke... Good gravy! Give it a rest already! I suspect they only stopped becuase they ran out of colors to palatte swap.

Erdrick Holmes
08-21-2005, 03:14 AM
Let's compair the number of Shotos in Street Fighter to the number of Ninjas in Mortal Krapbat

Street Fighter: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Sean..... that's about it (Dan's not Shotokhan, he's Saikyo)

Kombat: Scorpion, Subzero, Rain, Ermac, Reptile, Smoke, Noob Saibot, and I think there was a pink one.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-21-2005, 03:28 AM
http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ninjaaron.jpg

MoonLight-Selphie
08-21-2005, 03:52 AM
mortal kombat damnit

MecaKane
08-21-2005, 04:04 AM
Mortal Krapbat!
Ahahahahahaha
:spin: :laugh: :exdee:

Mortal Kombat is clearly better. Street fighter is for chumps.

Lionx
08-21-2005, 05:37 AM
Its all about linking into that super man...in MK i dont think theres anything close.

Erdrick Holmes
08-21-2005, 05:41 AM
I also realized tha MK is "poser level". Any idiot can beat the game, even mentally handicapped kids can go through it all with no sweat. No skill is required.

And the blood is stupid as hell. You slap somebody and about a whole pint is splattered across the screen. That's just plain stupid.

Lionx
08-21-2005, 05:50 AM
Tee hee i actually thought it was hillarious how the blood was just splattered there.

Chzn8r
08-21-2005, 06:15 AM
I don't like fighters but I like Mortal Combat. As Del said, I play RPGs to think, I play fighters to fight.

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 06:39 AM
Tee hee i actually thought it was hillarious how the blood was just splattered there.
Me too. I don't think they were trying to be realistic. I don't really like much realism in games.

Polnareff
08-21-2005, 05:48 PM
I think SF wins this, no questions asked. It has better character designs, a better combo interface, better graphics, better.....everything!

You don't seem to play SF very much, so how would you know this? Yes, you can use basic combos and win; it's not impossible. The only time you would EVER use those really long, complicated combos is if you were in a tournament, and only, what, 0.0001% of SF players join tourneys, anyway. (I know that's not an accurate number, but you know what I'm getting at) Most of us SF players don't even join tourneys so it wouldn't even matter.

Anyone complaining about SF's controls being too "complicated" probably hasn't played the game for more than 5 minutes. It takes maybe that long to learn to do a Hadoken. I'm serious, go out and play an SF game, and you would be surprised at how fast you can learn the basics.

Plus, SF has really great character designs and music to make the gameplay experience enjoyable. Characters like Guile, Blanka, and Fei Long will be remembered for years to come. Also, who could forget the music in any of the SF games?

SF has a more interesting storyline as well. It doesn't just focus on one event. It focuses on more than one event, and in the a couple of the newer games (A2, A3), almost all the characters even have their own midboss, which fleshes the story out even more.

MK, on the other hand, has no gameplay depth whatsoever. It's so shallow that half the cast are palette-swapped ninjas, and EVERYONE has the same normal moves. Bleh.

Then there's the Block button, which seems to not want to work when it's supposed to. I can't count the number of times I tried blocking a jump kick in MK3 standing up, and STILL got hit through the block. WTF? And yes, I was always holding the Block button the entire way through.

Not to mention the game usually devolves itself into a projectile/sweep fest. I know some of you are gonna say "WEL SF DEVOLVES INTO A PRUHJEKTIL FEST 2 LOLZ" but alas, it doesn't, not if the players playing it are good at it.

SF is open to all types of fighting styles, such as rushdown and defensive. When you play MK, any sense of depth is flushed down the drain, no matter how good both players are (Incidentally, I've never heard of an MK game being in a tournament, except for UMK3, because it always becomes a sweep fest, or a jumpkick fest, or a projectile fest.

Then there's the other stuff about it, such as the bland music, choppy visuals, and cheaply-made Fatality effects. At least (IMO) MK has gotten somewhat better in recent years. Now you can no longer throw projectiles over and over until victory, and the gameplay is a bit more deep. Plus, the damn Block button finally works.

Dreddz
08-21-2005, 07:23 PM
hey wow, MK is making a come back...........

Lindy
08-21-2005, 07:31 PM
Depth != fun.

The end.

Erdrick Holmes
08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
I think SF wins this, no questions asked. It has better character designs, a better combo interface, better graphics, better.....everything!

You don't seem to play SF very much, so how would you know this? Yes, you can use basic combos and win; it's not impossible. The only time you would EVER use those really long, complicated combos is if you were in a tournament, and only, what, 0.0001% of SF players join tourneys, anyway. (I know that's not an accurate number, but you know what I'm getting at) Most of us SF players don't even join tourneys so it wouldn't even matter.

Anyone complaining about SF's controls being too "complicated" probably hasn't played the game for more than 5 minutes. It takes maybe that long to learn to do a Hadoken. I'm serious, go out and play an SF game, and you would be surprised at how fast you can learn the basics.

Plus, SF has really great character designs and music to make the gameplay experience enjoyable. Characters like Guile, Blanka, and Fei Long will be remembered for years to come. Also, who could forget the music in any of the SF games?

SF has a more interesting storyline as well. It doesn't just focus on one event. It focuses on more than one event, and in the a couple of the newer games (A2, A3), almost all the characters even have their own midboss, which fleshes the story out even more.

MK, on the other hand, has no gameplay depth whatsoever. It's so shallow that half the cast are palette-swapped ninjas, and EVERYONE has the same normal moves. Bleh.

Then there's the Block button, which seems to not want to work when it's supposed to. I can't count the number of times I tried blocking a jump kick in MK3 standing up, and STILL got hit through the block. WTF? And yes, I was always holding the Block button the entire way through.

Not to mention the game usually devolves itself into a projectile/sweep fest. I know some of you are gonna say "WEL SF DEVOLVES INTO A PRUHJEKTIL FEST 2 LOLZ" but alas, it doesn't, not if the players playing it are good at it.

SF is open to all types of fighting styles, such as rushdown and defensive. When you play MK, any sense of depth is flushed down the drain, no matter how good both players are (Incidentally, I've never heard of an MK game being in a tournament, except for UMK3, because it always becomes a sweep fest, or a jumpkick fest, or a projectile fest.

Then there's the other stuff about it, such as the bland music, choppy visuals, and cheaply-made Fatality effects. At least (IMO) MK has gotten somewhat better in recent years. Now you can no longer throw projectiles over and over until victory, and the gameplay is a bit more deep. Plus, the damn Block button finally works.

You're my new favourite member.

MK is more about looks then gameplay. All it is is just an overglorified gorefest that any idiot can play. It's got a ninja for each colour of the rainbow, all the characters fight the same, and the story was just something some angry teen scribbled on his book cover during 8th grade.

All the characters have 4 non-special moves Lowpunch Lowkick, highpunch, and highkick. They all have the sam attack no matter what character you use and no matter what button you press. But with street fighter, each character has his or her own unique move each time you press one of the 6 attack buttons. The characters actually have their own unique backgrounds, as the MK characters are all out just ot get the main badguy who holds the tournament. Plus in all the MK games, no matter what the sequel it's the same exact storyline, some high and mighty godlike man can destory the world with a wave of his hand.... so he holds a fighting tournament to see if he can be defeated. Street Fighter only had two games with "tournament" storylines. Plus Street Fighter requires you to use your brain as well as your brawn. In Mortal Krapbat you can just air kick the opponent 4 times and you win.

Polnareff
08-21-2005, 08:44 PM
Depth != fun.

The end.

Don't get me wrong, I would have liked the earlier MKs more if the controls were loosened up and the normal moves all had different animation.

I don't mind a lack of depth in a fighter, but if it becomes so shallow that you can win with one or two moves used repeatedly, the game isn't worth my time :P

This is why I like the newer MKs (4, DA, haven't played Gold or Deception yet) over the older ones. They feel more polished. They're still not that deep, but I can work around that, since the controls and fighting styles are up to par, IMO.

SomethingBig
08-22-2005, 06:53 AM
I don't understand the conflict here. Street Fighter is obviously the superior game.
MK: Immobilize enemy, uppercut, repeat
Oh wait, MK has blood. What the hell was I thinking?

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Street Fighter!

FallenSilence
08-22-2005, 09:32 AM
I like both, but SF is largely superior.

DK
08-22-2005, 11:49 AM
Street Fighter: Ryu, Ken, Akuma, and Sean..... that's about it (Dan's not Shotokhan, he's Saikyo)

There are the alternate versions, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma, Violent Ken, and also you forgot Allen.

DJZen
08-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Okay, so that makes....

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sean, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma, Violent Ken, and "Allen".

MK, by the same token has...

Scorpion, Sub Zero, Reptile, Rain, Ermac, Smoke, Noob Saibot, and Khameleon.

Now they're tied for greatest number of cheap knockoff characters, unless this "Allen" who I've never heard of before is actually a joke.

Also, as an afterthough, anyone who accuses SF of turning into a projectile fest has never played for very long. Any player can throw a fireball, but any GOOD player can make you seriously regret throwing that fireball.

DK
08-22-2005, 09:14 PM
Allen Snider (http://www.fightersgeneration.com/fightgen/characters/allen.html)

Edit: His information is slightly wrong, though, Allen is South African.

Erdrick Holmes
08-22-2005, 09:15 PM
Shin Akuma and Evil Ryu don't count. Evil Ryu only existed for a short time, and Shin Akuma is just regular Akuma with strength enhancements. Allen wasn't really Shotokhan either. He's like a stronger Dan.

DK
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Different moves, even slight ones, make it count. Even if they were only there for one game they count, because in the start of MK there were only two ninjas, Sub Zero and Scorpion, so yeah.

Edit: How is Allen like Dan? He has a Hadoken, a Shoryuken and a special flying kick style move, and his super is the same as Ryu's Shinkuu Hadoken.

Erdrick Holmes
08-22-2005, 09:30 PM
Yeah, but he's not Shotokhan. He's probably erither a trainee or using a similar art. Judging from those white bandages on his arms he's probably got a bit of Muay Thai.

crashNUMBERS
08-22-2005, 10:01 PM
http://norbert-x.com/rock/userfiles/Kishi/ninjaaron.jpg
:exdee: Lmao!! Isn't that the Man?? Or just that pic he has??

Shoden
08-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Mortal Kombat was an amazing game i despised Street fighter because it was boring.

Mortal Kombat's system is a fuck load better you can slam thew enemy through windows, through the floor and throw them into a sea of pirhanas <3

Deception was great including Baraka

DJZen
08-23-2005, 03:51 AM
Unlike MK, SF doesn't need to rely on cheap gimmicks like blood or pirahnas to be good. Besides that, Mortal Kombat will NEVER EVER EVER have a character as awesome as Dan.

We shouldn't even be discussing this, we should be discussing whether Street Fighter or King of Fighters kicks Mortal Kombat's broke ass more. I personally feel that while SF delivers an elegant axe kick to MK's spine, KoF does a bit of a curb stomp to it.

Polnareff
08-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Okay, so that makes....

Ryu, Ken, Akuma, Sean, Evil Ryu, Shin Akuma, Violent Ken, and "Allen".

MK, by the same token has...

Scorpion, Sub Zero, Reptile, Rain, Ermac, Smoke, Noob Saibot, and Khameleon.

Now they're tied for greatest number of cheap knockoff characters, unless this "Allen" who I've never heard of before is actually a joke.

Also, as an afterthough, anyone who accuses SF of turning into a projectile fest has never played for very long. Any player can throw a fireball, but any GOOD player can make you seriously regret throwing that fireball.

Allen doesn't exactly count, as he wasn't made by Capcom. (Heck, the EX series itself wasn't made by them :P)

But on the MK side, you can't forget the Cyber Ninjas, like Sektor, and Cyrax, and I think there's a couple other ones as well.

Pure Strife
08-23-2005, 06:22 PM
I thought SF flowed better than the old Mortal Kombat games, but the ones on the current generation are great. No palette swaps, each character has three unique fighting styles, weapons are in and the characters themselves are largely pretty cool. There are some cliches and whatnot, but Sf has them too.

But what really makes MK stand out for me is the evolution from MK1 up to MK Deception. Since the start they've added new characters and moves constantly (MKTrilogy was the only one where they had ALL the palette swapped ninjas), and now it plays really well if all you're looking for is a good laugh and a friendly kickabout.

How much has SF really changed since SF2? And I don't mean all the little niggling /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif with stats and whatnot that virtually no one notices, I mean big differences. If you can beat someone at SF2 odds are you can beat them at any SF game.

Erdrick Holmes
08-23-2005, 06:41 PM
I'll fill in your question, Strife.

SFII= Standard fighting
SFII Turbo=Adjustable combat speed, different pallet swaps, and playable boss characters
Super SFII Turbo= 4 new characters, 8 different pallet swaps for each character, and super moves that can be done when your super bar fills up.
SF Alpha= 3 different combat styles for each combatant, and multiple super moves. Plus custom combos
Street Fighter III- Super Arts that the player chooses, EX moves, and the finest tuned controls I ever seen.

Spammerman
08-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Mortal Kombat at least it's more violent, you can throw people to pirhanas!

or rip out their spines, or turn in to a bunny and eat them, or burn them to death.

Erdrick Holmes
08-23-2005, 09:02 PM
So killing people is alot more fun than a fight with substance and challenge?

Shoden
08-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Mortal Kombat has a better storyline.

Mortal Kombat gives you a bigger sense of satisfication than SF

Dreddz
08-23-2005, 09:56 PM
its personal choice everyone, so dont judge or question peoples views...

Shoden
08-23-2005, 10:00 PM
anyway whats wrong with gore and several ways of killing?

MecaKane
08-23-2005, 10:36 PM
So killing people is alot more fun than a fight with substance and challenge?

Of course, that's why people buy Mortal Kombat and GTA instead of crappy 2D fighters!

DJZen
08-23-2005, 10:40 PM
Well, for one thing, I got over it back in highschool. Gore in games is just so ubiquitous in games anymore that it just doesn't do anything for me anymore. It's like that one song that you hear on the radio every 5 seconds. At first it's cool, then it's everywhere, then it's annoying.

Mortal Kombat RELIES on schlock value. Imagine if it didn't have blood or fatalities. It would have died out shortly after the first like every other fighting game that came out in 1994. I can't even name all the fighting games that came out during that time period, that's how many there were.

Besides, Time Killers was WAY more violent than MK. I don't hear anybody singing that game's praises.

Dreddz
08-23-2005, 11:17 PM
lol wiilf.....

SomethingBig
08-24-2005, 02:58 AM
Mortal Kombat gives you a bigger sense of satisfication than SF
SF doesn't rely on the show of gallons of blood to capture its gamers. The only reason MK was ever big was because of its violence. I'll admit that I was awed by the show of blood back in first grade. But after nearly a decade, I've grown out of it. Honestly, if someone created an unbelievably realistic game that only consisted of you pulling a guy's head off, people would eat it up in a second.

MK does nothing new, save for getting on with the times by becoming a 3D game with weaopns. Yeah, it's a solid game, but it's nowhere near the juggernaut SF is.

Battousai62
08-24-2005, 03:17 PM
I think I disagree with excelsior on everything, but i was more of a MK fan. SF was still an awesome game though.

Shoden
08-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Even Tekken is better than Street Fighter

Pure Strife
08-24-2005, 04:30 PM

SFII= Standard fighting
SFII Turbo=Adjustable combat speed, different pallet swaps, and playable boss characters
Super SFII Turbo= 4 new characters, 8 different pallet swaps for each character, and super moves that can be done when your super bar fills up.
SF Alpha= 3 different combat styles for each combatant, and multiple super moves. Plus custom combos
Street Fighter III- Super Arts that the player chooses, EX moves, and the finest tuned controls I ever seen.

I can play SF2 on the Megadrive (or Genesis to you Yanks), pick Ryu and kick some serious ass. I can then go straight on to SFA3 and use the exact same character in the exact same way and still win. And the fact that it's the same experience is what lets SF down for me. It was awesome eight years ago, now it's somewhat tedious.

I think MK is better as a series because of the progression it's shown, and I genuinely thought Deadly Alliance was an excellent fighter because of how fun it was to play. To get good at it you did have to put a fair bit of work in (I don't know if you've played it), but to be able to pick it up so easily and have a good laugh with it was what sold it for me.

Shoden
08-24-2005, 04:43 PM
It's all about opinion.

MK and Tekken are my favourite fighting games.

Erdrick Holmes
08-24-2005, 05:33 PM
They probably made Ryu a worse character because in the game Ryu's aged quite a bit.

Eternal Dark Night
08-24-2005, 05:41 PM
um im just saying anybody wen't to the channel movie plex sometimes they show street fighter 2 the old shows at like 10:30 mondays-thursdays oh and at 3:00 in the morning i wake up for that um well just saying if you guys know already

frenchfries604
09-02-2005, 01:25 AM
street fighter kicks ass because chun li is crazy and she is hawt

blackmage_nuke
09-02-2005, 07:27 AM
Street fighter is way better, the charactrs talk (kinda)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-02-2005, 07:29 AM
Apparently you've forgotten about "GET OVER HERE."

Channing
09-02-2005, 07:38 AM
I prefer Capcom. They are both respectable games but Streetfighter has always been more mediocre. When you play a new Streetfighter a lot of the moves are carried over. So it's easy to adapt. These new Mortal Kombats are way different from the originals.

I say Streetfighter.

Leene
09-02-2005, 08:18 AM
:save:Mortal Kombat:save:

Polnareff
09-02-2005, 09:26 PM

SFII= Standard fighting

I can play SF2 on the Megadrive (or Genesis to you Yanks), pick Ryu and kick some serious ass. I can then go straight on to SFA3 and use the exact same character in the exact same way and still win. And the fact that it's the same experience is what lets SF down for me. It was awesome eight years ago, now it's somewhat tedious.

You must have either been playing someone who stinks at the game or the CPU. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

Anyway, Ryu in SF2 doesn't play anything like in SF3, so your comment doesn't quite hold up. In SF2 you could use the tried-and-somewhat-true fireball/dragon trap, sure, but try that bull in SF3 using Ryu and you'll get pummeled into the ground. Guaranteed. Air parry into HK, MP, QCFx2+P doesn't lie :P The feel of SF3 is more "meaty", so to speak, than that of SF2, making the game feel completely different.

MK may have gotten trifle changes (a combo meter, friendships, animalities, and weapon changing), but I'd say it hasn't really "evolved" much at all like SF has. Each SF game feels completely different than the previous one, usually. There's only a couple exceptions to this.

SF has gained a whole slew of gameplay features over the years, as well, all of which are at least somewhat useful, as I've kept having to hammer home repeatedly :P

Don't believe me? Look at this:

Safe Fall
Parrying
Chain Combos
Super Cancel
Supers
Super Special (powered up specials, you know, SF3)
Guard Meter
Guard Crush
Super Bar (SSF2T)
Level Super Bar (SFA)
Air Block
Alpha Counter
Isms

...and there were some other things I forgot.

It's OK to say that MK is "more fun" than SF or whatever (which I disagree with), but to say SF hasn't evolved much in the years it's been out compared to MK means you probably haven't played enough of it.

Channing
09-02-2005, 09:31 PM
The big difference between the two is new age and old. Mortal Kombat has moved into the 3d-style recently. Streetfighter has done much of the same but primarily it's been on the sprite 2d scale. Which is what probably many people prefer. It's easier to comprehend movement and you don't have to think around complication.

Playing Deception I feel like I'm challenging myself more than enjoying the game. I can't pull off half the moves, the combo's are difficult to chain. Now if you would like to take the learning curve and study the character yes. But I've yet to meet someone who has a character on the new MK's that is well rounded. Instead of just button pressing.

While on Streetfighter the curve is a small hump which gives more time to learn the characters moves in depth.

radyk05
09-02-2005, 10:10 PM
i voted mortal kombat just because.

Swordicanus
09-19-2005, 05:56 PM
Got to be Street Fighter ........HADOUKEN!!!!!!!!!!!

Rase
09-21-2005, 01:20 AM
I think you're all forgetting Mortal Kombat real message...

http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~kantaku/mk/gazou/emu/friendship02.jpg
http://www5c.biglobe.ne.jp/~kantaku/mk/gazou/emu/friendship01.jpg

Traitorfish
09-21-2005, 09:39 PM
Street Fighter was more intricate and complex, but Mortal Kombat... Well, you scream people's faces off, blast them apart with electricity, or throw them into a huge fan. Coooool...

Shoden
09-21-2005, 09:44 PM
come on Mortal Kombat pwns keep voting for MK!

Alive-Cat
09-21-2005, 09:55 PM
STREET FIGHTER!!!!

Craig
09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/foogle/20.jpg

leon123
09-26-2005, 02:28 AM
street fighter kicks the crap out of mk.sf could use more blood

Lionx
09-26-2005, 02:49 AM
Unfortunetly SF is and most likely always will be game mechanics over graphics that while are nice, doesnt define gameplay.

Spammerman
09-26-2005, 03:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/foogle/20.jpg
sub-zero rules
mk roks

escobert
09-26-2005, 06:26 AM
MK