PDA

View Full Version : Country Music

ughhis
08-21-2005, 12:14 AM
Yesterday, I saw a program about female Country musicians, or something like that..
I didn't really watch it, I only heard some really nice, slow songs and... Now I'd really
like to find some of those.

Oh, and if you want to know of my tastes, I only know of two Country songs that I've
really listened to, really liked, and at least believe I remember the titles of. They are

Dolly Parton - Coat of Many Colors
John Denver - Country Roads

And in the show they mentioned something of Loretta Lynn(?) & Joni Mitchell, the last
of which I have three songs that I really love, but these are not Country, are they? #_#

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Joni Mitchell - Both Sides Now
Joni Mitchell - River

So, would anyone be able to recommend me some songs, mainly of Loretta Lynn, John Denver & Dolly Parton?
Or of whoever else Country/Bluegrass or whatever it is kind of music-person who has some nice ones?

Or skip that mainly of bla bla part,
I JUST REALLY WANT SOME GORGEOUS, NOT-REALLY-FAST COUNTRY/BLUEGRASS MUSIC!
Show some love to the female artists?

Pretty please?

Rye
08-21-2005, 12:16 AM
There is only one female country song that I like and that would be Lee Ann Womack - Hope You Dance, but I'm sure you know that one.

GooeyToast
08-21-2005, 12:17 AM
*waits for Kirobaito to arrive*

Kirobaito
08-21-2005, 03:08 AM
Oh, yee freakin' haw, it's country music, and more specifically, John Denver, my two specialties. I'll start with country music as a whole, and then go deeper into John Denver. I can answer every single question you could possibly ever have about the man.

Oftentimes, people don't like country music because they don't understand the point behind it, which is almost completely love. That's why the #1 country song I recommend getting is "Amazed" by Lonestar. It's an incredible song, and it sprinkled into the pop charts, which is rare for a country song.

But from the looks of it, you seem to like old stuff, asking about Loretta Lynn and John Denver. Loretta Lynn's most famous song is "Coal Miner's Daughter", which tells about her life (she was forced to marry at the age of 13), and it's not very fast. That's the song she is most known for.

Just some generic OLDER country songs include Glen Campbell's "Galveston", which goes about the speed of "Country Roads", and Campbell is an incredible guitar player, and just about anything by Johnny Cash ("Ring of Fire", "I Walk the Line", and even his cover of "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down").

If you like female country artists, you have GOT to look at Patsy Cline. She tragically was killed in a plane crash at the height of her fame in the early 60's. Her essential songs are "Crazy" and "I Fall to Pieces".

Now, with more recent times, the genre of country music has combined with southern rock, in many ways. That pretty much began in 1989 with Garth Brooks. From his debut album, "The Dance" is an awesome song. I truly recommend that one.

I've never been much of a Dolly Parton fan, but you need to check out "I Will Always Love You". It was a huge hit in the mid-70's, and Whitney Houston made a cover of it, which you've probably heard. Like you said "Coat of Many Colors" is a good song, and it's autobiographical of her growing up with 12 kids in Tennessee as a kid.

List from Country Music:
"Amazed" - Lonestar
"Coal Miner's Daughter" - Loretta Lynn
"Galveston" - Glen Campbell
"Ring of Fire" - Johnny Cash
"I Walk the Line" - Johnny Cash
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - Joan Baez, The Band, Johnny Cash (they all recorded it...I think Baez's is the best)
"Crazy" - Patsy Cline
"I Fall to Pieces" - Patsy Cline
"The Dance" - Garth Brooks
"I Will Always Love You" - Dolly Parton

Now...to John Denver. Wow. John Denver. I think he's the greatest artist in the world, ever. Seriously. Those who truly get to understand him and his music have a wonderful adventure with it. You categorized him as country, and that's really not very accurate - he never, ever committed himself to a single genre. If you thoroughly listen to the 23 original albums he released from 1969 to 1997, you can find folk, pop, rock, blues, easy listening, political satire (inspired from his previous work with The Chad Mitchell Trio), in addition to country, and wacky, unique combinations of all of them. In many ways, the album <i>Some Days Are Diamonds</i> is a purely country album, while one can call <i>Rhymes and Reasons</i> folk-pop. I think a good word to summarize the kind of artist that John Denver was is <i>Western</i> - he conveys the spirit of the American West, about being free and happy with your environment and with the people around you.

Anyway, if I could really recommend you John Denver songs to listen to, the list would be well over 200. So, I'll simply do about a 25-song, broad span of his entire career, and then go into the specific KIND of songs you were looking for.

"Leaving, on a Jet Plane"
"Follow Me"
"Country Roads"
"Sunshine on my Shoulders"
"Everyday"
"Rocky Mountain High"
"Goodbye Again"
"Farewell Andromeda (Welcome to my Morning)"
"Back Home Again"
"Annie's Song"
"Thank God I'm a Country Boy"
"Windsong"
"Singing Skies and Dancing Waters"
"You're so Beautiful"
"Autograph"
"Some Days are Diamonds (Some Days are Stone)"
"Perhaps Love"
"Shanghai Breezes"
"Wild Montana Skies"
"Flying for Me"
"Higher Ground"
"Whispering Jesse"
"The Flower That Shattered the Stone"
"Eagles and Horses (I'm Flying Again)"

Those songs are taken from 18 different albums. Now, you said that you wanted some not-so-fast songs. Stuff that's easy to listen to? John's got plenty of that. If you need any further help picking out stuff, just PM me or AIM me. I loooove to talk about John Denver, and would be happy to do it. I recommend the Greatest Hits recordings when I do because they were a bit slower than the originals. One of the things that I've noticed is that John rarely ever made anything that was truly FAST - "Country Roads" really doesn't have a very fast tempo or anything. Once again, feel free to contact me if you want any more.

"Leaving, on a Jet Plane" (1973 Greatest Hits recording)
"Follow Me" (" " ")
"Golden Slumbers/Sweet Sweet Life/Tremble If You Must" (yes, the former is a Beatles cover)
"Poems, Prayers, and Promises" (1973 Greatest Hits recording)
"My Sweet Lady"
"Sunshine on my Shoulders"
"Goodbye Again"
"The Season Suites (Summer, Fall, Winter, Late Winter Early Spring (When Everybody Goes to Mexico, Spring)"
"Annie's Song"
"Windsong"
"Come and Let Me Look in Your Eyes"
"Singing Skies and Dancing Waters"
"You're So Beautiful"
"In My Heart"
"Dreams"
"Perhaps Love"
"Heart to Heart"
"Love Again"
"Flying For Me"
"Whispering Jesse"

OK, so I hope this could be of some help. :)

DMKA
08-21-2005, 04:51 AM
That wasn't very nice. -kikimm

Necronopticous
08-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Petty Booka is the best thing that ever came out of country music.

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 05:10 AM
what did Hank Williams say, three chords and the truth? I like those old country songs.

Dreddz
08-21-2005, 10:20 AM
I dont like Coutry Folk Music
Why you say
Because I Dont.....

Leeza
08-21-2005, 10:50 AM
People: This thread is about Country music. I'm not crazy about it myself, but I'm not in here dissing it. If you don't like it and can't contribute anything constructive or helpful to the thread...stay out.

Dolly Parton/Kenny Rogers - Islands in the Stream
Dolly Parton - Jolene

DK
08-21-2005, 11:18 AM
I can't remember what the bands name is now, but there is this band of full on country boys that do covers of other songs, and it's the coolest thing I have ever seen. They did a cover of Outkast's "Roses", and it was amazing. It's the dixie something, I think, but then again maybe not.

Rye
08-21-2005, 12:35 PM
Dixie Chicks? They're pretty nice, forgot to recommend them. I like their cover of Landslide, even though the Fleetwood Mac version still owns it completely. The acoustic version of Fleetwood Mac's Landslide is kinda country-ish, so I recommend that as well.

DK
08-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Nah, it wasn't chicks, it was these full on hillbilly boys, overalls and barefoot and everything. I can't remember the name for the life of me, but they were suave.

Edit: http://www.hayseed-dixie.com/

B)

Rye
08-21-2005, 12:46 PM
Oh, that reminds me, Neil Young - Heart Of Gold seems like country to me, it's a very good song, I love it.

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Wilco!