who's your favorite characters.
mine are
kilk cassandra and yusung

Dreddz
08-21-2005, 10:09 AM
My favourite is Casandra
Then Voldo
Then Seng Mina ( spelling )
I sold my game of it to buy GGX2 Reload, meh, it was worth it....

Soul Caliber games are really good
But I still stick by this

Tekken > Soul Caliber

Aphelion
08-21-2005, 12:55 PM
My favorite character is Nightmare. Kilik and Seung Mina are cool too, but Nightmare's still my favorite.

frunk
08-23-2005, 01:20 AM
nightmare, asteroth and assassin.
I'm insane with assassin. my friends refuse to let me play assassin against them.

Rengori
08-23-2005, 01:25 AM
i love me some soul calibur
????OMGWTFOMFGWTF????
I understood the rest of it though, and my favorite characters are Kilik, Talim, and Nightmare.

Shoeberto
08-23-2005, 03:54 AM
I picked up a copy of the original at Goodwill for $2 a few weeks back and got my friend's DC to play it. And man, my friends and I played the crap out of it today.

I really like Mitsurugi.

Mo-Nercy
08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Cassandra's my favourite. Since I play at arcades, I need to know what I'm up against before I choose Cassandra though because she's a bit of a niche character and she's only good at counter-attacking. So I normally only use her against people/characters I know how to play against (can't counter-attack without knowing their attacks!)

Usually, I'll test the water with Nightmare if I'm in the dark as to who I'm challenging and how they play. I can regulate the style of play with him so that I can go easy against a noob and really get into the stances and mixing up if I'm against a pro.

Kilik was my first ever character and I'm rather solid with him. But it has been a long time. He's a bit linear and plain with some decent mix-ups but since he relies a lot on low attacks to catch out opponents, he's not so good against human opponents who know their stuff.

Cervantes was a bit of a joke and I don't why I decide to take him up, but after I had gotten half-decent enough with him to beat around some of the more average blokes at the 'cades, I stopped.

Ivy is a work in progress. I'm in the midst of learning Summon Suffering. I know how to do it (like duh) but the so-called "crack monkey" method isn't sufficent against good players. Because you can (and should) space out the command input for SS over really really long frame period, you can actually do attacks in between putting in the combo for SS. I've seen people do this and it's just damn tricky. Buffering off one move doesn't cut it anymore fellas, you need to buffer it off about 3-5 to make it unsuspecting and successful otherwise they'll just duck under it.

Raphael. I don't really know how to use him effectively but he's a fun character for beating up noobs etc. He's also a little similar to Cassandra but his crouch dash isn't as adaptable and necessary to success as Cass'

I know how to use some other characters but I wouldn't dare take 'em to the arcades. Mitsurugi for example, is very similar to Nightmare in play style (stance mix-ups, power moves in between horizontal and vertical pokes and jabs etc.) so he's not so challenging. Astaroth isn't a hard character to learn but a hard character to master, quite often a pro can school you with a character that's even slightly faster. But I've seen people use him with some success. It's quite remarkable.

But it's characters like Taki, Talim and Maxi (lesser extent, Voldo, but I've played against A LOT of Voldo in my time) that baffle me. Whenever I try to use them seriously I get the anime sweatdrop effect. Because these characters are just sooooooooooooooo good at mixing up moves, it's difficult for a counter-attacker like Cassandra to predict it. It also makes it hard for a comparitively slower character like Nightmare to even get an attack in. There go my best characters and quite often, the match.

I talk muchly.

SNOOZER
08-23-2005, 07:47 AM
I like Mo-Nercy's review ^_^

Anyway, I like playing Nightmare, Astaroth, Ivy and Talim (for soul calibur 2)

I can't wait for 3 to come out.

FallenSilence
08-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Nightmare, Mitsurugi and Taki. I can do a one-hit-KO with Ivy if I get lucky.

Dking'squeen
08-23-2005, 09:25 AM
Kilik because of his long reach with some of his weapons and, if you use him right, you can keep opponents at bay. Talim because she's quick. ALthough her attacks aren't strong, she's fast and can go in, hit and be out and ready to block before you know what happened and able to hit her. Xiangua I think it's spelled is next, although I don't like her as much. She and Raphael are on the same level. And then there's Cassandra, but she's more or less a back-up character.

FallenSilence
08-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot Xianghua.

Dr.K
08-23-2005, 11:17 AM
Nightmare. His sword makes me weak at the knees.

KentaRawr!
08-23-2005, 08:38 PM
In Soul Blade, my favorites are Seung Mina and Hwang.

In Soul Calibur 1, my favorites are Hwang and Kilik.

In Soul Calibur 2, my favorite is Kilik.

Mr. Mojo Risin
08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
I must be the only person who likes Maxi.

Ohhh
08-23-2005, 10:10 PM
Tekken > Soul Caliber
gotta agree with you there :D
but in soul calibur i like Talim :p she rocks

Shoeberto
08-23-2005, 10:28 PM
I was playing with him the other day, and he is pretty badass. His moves connect really well.

Dking'squeen
08-23-2005, 10:31 PM

He's somewhat easy to use, that's why I don't like them, I don't know about others...

Sepho
08-23-2005, 10:41 PM
I use Nightmare, Raphael, and Cervantes, depending on who I'm fighting.

I use Raphael against beginners because they're baffled by his quick, consecutive strikes. He's fun. He was the first character I tried to get good with, and I don't use him much anymore.

I like Cervantes. I mean, I really like Cervantes. When I'm playing any decent player, I usually pick Nightmare the majority of the time, but I have a certain friend who just smokes me everytime we play the GC version and he picks Link, but I almost always beat him with Cervantes.

I like me some Nightmare. He's a "slow" character, but he's not that slow. Only the better players can get inside of his reach and do anything to him, and he's so powerful. I'm never a big fan of the strong, slow stereotype versus the quick, underpowered cliche, but Nightmare is very competent.

I also do pretty good with Kilik and Misturugi.

Dreddz
08-23-2005, 11:13 PM
No offence, but n00bs luv him due to his connective moves that are so easy to do. But, if mastered, can be really good.

Mo-Nercy
08-24-2005, 01:33 AM
Nightmare, Mitsurugi and Taki. I can do a one-hit-KO with Ivy if I get lucky.
Only on a low health machine. It is sweet when it happens though.

Kilik because of his long reach with some of his weapons and, if you use him right, you can keep opponents at bay. Talim because she's quick.
Kilik doesn't really have long reach. Only some his attacks have that property. Because he tends to hold the rod towards the middle, particularly with horizontal attacks, he actually has pretty average range. But it's true that he can used his ranged attacks to hold opponents at bay but they tend to be verticals which means they can be side stepped, even the faster ones like 6B.

Tekken > Soul Caliber
Heathen!

Oh I hate him with vigour. He's a good character to use though. I spoke about mix-ups in my post before and if you don't know what they are, it generally refers to the canceling of moves and shuffling through stances to do different things at the ends of attacks that start the same. Xianghua is the queen of doing this, but both Talim and Taki, who tend to rely on just blitzing speed rather than confusion, are also adept at it. But the thing about Maxi's mix-ups is that because he's always got this moving animation to him, you can't even tell what stance he's in, let alone what he's gonna do next. It's very annoying to play against. He's fast too and that's enough to give any Cass and Nightmare players like me chills.

He is definitely no noob character. His moves do have to uncanny ability to run off one another but anyone and everyone should be able to sidestep him and go for side grabs. Or just use Ivy. The reach for Summon Suffering is just longer than Maxi's nunchaku. ^_^ Oh hell, just use Calamity Symphony if they're noob then buffer Summon Suffering into it. That should take off at least 3/4 health even on the highest setting of health.

Rengori
08-24-2005, 01:40 AM
Tekken > Soul Caliber
Heathen!
What Mo Nercy said.

LiXangL
08-24-2005, 05:32 AM
i first used xianghua her trickyness evasive maneuvers were great and i did some lie on the ground tantrum kills aswell but

then moved on to talim...
my best character, she is fast... linkage... fast lows into fast recoveries...
one of the best evasive moves and ring out move...
+ the stun from back turned to put them into the air for some tekken like air juggles which conveniently dunks them off the arena...

apart from getting into range for her to use her moves...
like versing a turtling ivy you might find some problems... ><
remember flying into the sky for an attack only to be dropped by a computer player ivy's air grab for much pain ><

conclusion:-
so talim = mighty
just dont go nuts make sure you use her evasion

mo-nercy dont forget maxi has the best moveeva :D

and ofcourse the relentless spam is maxi opening a can of whoop ass...

....why i want to play soul calibur 3?
cos talim is a bit older... a bit taller...
does that mean she gets more reach?

strawberryman
08-24-2005, 05:39 AM
Nightmare, as I kick total ass with him regardless of how unbalanced he can be xD

Soul Charge + Rook Splitter = GOD

Polnareff
08-24-2005, 05:52 AM
I use mostly Mitsurugi, Taki, and Maxi. I've been known to mix up from time to time though.

Mitsurugi's a pretty good defensive character because of his high/low mixups. His offense can be good at times, as well. His stance change makes his moves more offense oriented (i.e., his unblockable stab)

Taki is a really quick character. She can run circles around a character while bombarding them with unblockable hits (I swear, it seems like her unblockables are the fastest in the game, like that one where she stabs you in the stomach) and fast kicks.

Maxi has some good combos and mix-ups. I haven't used him in the arcade in a while though.

I used to use Nightmare when I first played the game. It's appallingly easy to win against someone with him who doesn't know how to use the 8-way run or the weapon repel to their advantage :P

Mindflare
08-24-2005, 08:02 AM
Soul Calibur (2) is the only fighting game I actually like. My friends and I hardly ever stop playing it. One of the few games I ever play these days on a regular basis.

My dangerous characters are Sophitia, Astaroth, and Voldo. I'm also dangerious with Talim, but don't prefer using her.

I try to be able to use as many characters as I can with a degree of skill, but for the life of me Mitsurugi, Yoshimitsu, and Ivy.

Dreddz
08-24-2005, 09:58 AM
Tekken > Soul Caliber
Heathen!
What Mo Nercy said.
well, actually, IMO its
GGX > Tekken > Soul Caliber

Rengori
08-24-2005, 01:25 PM
well, actually, IMO its
GGX > Tekken > Soul CaliberSoul Caliber > GGX > KoF > SF > Tekken

KentaRawr!
08-24-2005, 09:33 PM

I use Maxi sometimes in Soul Calibur 1, but he is not one of my favorites.

Dreddz
08-24-2005, 11:09 PM
well, actually, IMO its
GGX > Tekken > Soul CaliberSoul Caliber > GGX > KoF > SF > Tekken
Whats wrong with Tekken, Tekken 5 is one of the greatest Fighters Ive ever played.......

Rengori
08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
Because Tekken sucks. End of discussion.

Dreddz
08-24-2005, 11:21 PM
Im sure lotz will disagree...........

Rengori
08-25-2005, 12:07 AM
And I'm sure I won't care.

Mirage
08-25-2005, 12:17 AM
Who's lotz?
Anyway, I mostly played with Taki and Talim when my SC2 DVD actually worked. It's too scratched up now, for some reason :<.

Black Mage
08-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Cervantes de Leon. Undead Pirate? Hell yes.

"NOT ENOUGH!"

LiXangL
08-25-2005, 09:45 AM
"not so fast"

"i can do THIS" :D

strawberryman
08-25-2005, 09:55 AM
Quoted for truth. ;)

Mo-Nercy
08-29-2005, 11:42 PM
Soul Charge + Rook Splitter = GOD
On certain arcade releases, the Rook Splitter actually tracks even more than it does in the console. It's probably the game's most abusable move.
Failing that, it's definitely the game's most abusable move. It's really easy to make an average player fearful of coming too close with Nightmare and that's usually when you Soul Charge and let it rip. I know I do.

Not so much sucky game than one I'm just not very good at. Hence my sig.

HakaiSuru
08-29-2005, 11:47 PM
hmmm....tooo many characters darnet, anyways i would prefere Talim, Kilik, Taki or Ivy