PDA

View Full Version : There should be a thread...

Lushs
08-21-2005, 04:16 AM
[There should be a thread] That lets you show off your avatars so that people can decide who they which user they want to make their avatars or sig... like a gallary...

just a suggestion! :)

Shoeberto
08-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Off to feedback :)

I've kind of been wondering about this. I'd been closing rating threads lately, since that seemed to be the rest of the staff's stance, but going back and looking over it again the official stance seems to be kind of shakey.

Agent Proto
08-21-2005, 04:38 AM
Isn't there an Avatar Service thread anyway?

Shoeberto
08-21-2005, 04:45 AM
No, she's talking about a sig and avatar rating thread.

I think a single thread dedicated to rating them would be okay. It just starts to become a problem when everyone starts making threads to rate their own stuff, which causes the root beer forum to be flooded and drowns out the art, poems, and stories, which are more what the forum is dedicated to.

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 04:52 AM
I do not think they are ever ok.

Big D
The Avatar Service thread is all about helping people to get new avatars... asking for 'ratings' would be a valid use of that thread, I think.

Lushs
yeah...! that's what i mean...
lol i wanna know what people think there should be one big thread of free agent sig/avatar makers, where people can look at everybodies work and decide who they want to make their avatar... i just thought maybe it was a good idea!

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 04:53 AM
that's a good idea, and the avatar service thread is probably the right thread for that.

Big D
08-21-2005, 04:55 AM
Signature service thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=65685)

Avatar service thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=43913)

Lushs
08-21-2005, 04:55 AM
well... i know there already is a thread similar to that!

but why can't there be a thread like that?
i'd like to know what people think of my work, and what i should change/add... but whatever... i guess no ones really up for this idea! :( lol oh well....

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 05:42 AM
Hm, maybe the Arts & Writing forum is appropriate for that? Maybe post your avs as artwork and see what people think?

Lushs
08-21-2005, 06:43 AM
BAH! i did... lol but my thread got closed... :( lol

Madonna
08-21-2005, 06:47 AM
I think the issue could be easily sidestepped by making a thread dedicated to showing off the avatars and signatures (as in multiple ones, if you didn't catch) that you have made and asking for "critiques" instead of "ratings". If it's just to say, "I got a cool sig, whaddaya think?" it won't fly very far.

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 06:49 AM
If you said you made some artwork it probably would have passed. I'll bring this up.

Also, try not to link to images that require a msn sign on to view (the ones in that thread). It's annoying.

EDIT: The problem with rate my sig/av threads is that people change their sigs/avs all the time. There were getting to be a lot of them so we stopped allowing them. If you work on one particular sig very hard and want some feedback on it I don't see a problem with you posting it in the Art Forum if you want some feedback.

Lushs
08-21-2005, 06:53 AM
If you said you made some artwork it probably would have passed. I'll bring this up.

Also, try not to link to images that require a msn sign on to view (the ones in that thread). It's annoying.

what thread? I use ImageShack? :confused:

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 06:57 AM
<a href="http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68403">This one.</a> Your current hosting doesn't pose a problem. Also please see the edit to my above post.

Lushs
08-21-2005, 07:08 AM
i don't get it! i've been trying so hard to just make sigs for people, but that thread is going so slow...

I thought my pictures were working... and everytime i post a thread, people close them... or tell me all this stuff and i just get confused...

i thought my pictures were showing... but are they? i don't get what ur saying?

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 07:10 AM
They are now. Don't worry about it.

Lushs
08-21-2005, 07:11 AM
lol okay...! thanks a lot! :)

Madonna
08-21-2005, 07:14 AM
i don't get it! i've been trying so hard to just make sigs for people, but that thread is going so slow...If you want to make sigs for people you could post in the signature service thread and mention that you'd be happy to help. Plus, if you see someone's request, you could always try to take it on yourself and then share the result in the signature service thread.

nik0tine
08-21-2005, 08:06 AM
I like this idea. People who want an avatar or sig made for them can browse sigs and avatars made by other people so they can ask a specific person to make their avatar/sig.

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 08:08 AM
They can also browse our extensive avatar library. For sigs use the sig help thread.

Yamaneko
08-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Can we have a thread where we share our favorite recipes?

Leeza
08-21-2005, 09:34 AM
The Avatar Service thread is all about helping people to get new avatars... asking for 'ratings' would be a valid use of that thread, I think.
I don't think so. A Service thread is just that....for service...not opinions. If everyone wanted an opinion on their sig/avatar of the day it would just generate spam.

Personally, I think that if it is legitimate artwork, it's postable in the Arts & Writing forum. Other than that it really shouldn't matter what anyone else thinks about it (if it falls within the guidelines) because it is <i>your</i> signature/avatar that should be defining <i>you</i> and no one elses opinion should really matter.

If I asked for opinions on my sig/avatar I'm sure that I'd get shot down pretty quick, but I really don't seem to care about anyone elses opinion on them because I like them and that's what counts. :)

Jojee
08-21-2005, 10:19 AM
I think a lot of people are missing the point.

I would love to have a thread that Lushs suggested as well. It's not a thread where people rate your avatars and signatures - it's a thread where people who are willing to make avatars and signatures for others post their work (in one post, and edit their posts periodically to put new av/sigs, or say that they will be unavailable to make them for a while), and one can choose who to ask to make theirs. Then they can PM the person they have in mind. (At least, that's what I have in mind ^_~)

It's different from the avatar and signature thread because when you request something in there, a lot of random people will make it, and the requestee will more likely turn up with something that he or she does not like - some people are better with graphics than others. Some will have a graphics style that is more suitable for the person requesting. It's a way to ensure better results :)

Leeza
08-21-2005, 10:39 AM
I see, Monkey. I guess I missed the point. :)

In that case, the Avatar Service thread does sound like a good option.

Rye
08-21-2005, 12:51 PM
If I read that right, basically it'd be like an icon LJ community where people make a bunch of banners or avatars for everyone and people take use them as long as they credit, or whatever? If so, that's a nice idea. :)

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 03:34 PM
if we do that, I don't want it to be in A&W.

Leeza
08-21-2005, 06:47 PM
Neither do I.

Old Manus
08-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Stalemate.

Lushs
08-22-2005, 05:09 AM
if we do that, I don't want it to be in A&W.

It should be in the help section... since it's more considered helping... i dunno... it's more directed to that area! :S i think...

And Monkey... u're right on target! :)

ZeZipster
08-22-2005, 08:43 PM
I think this would replace the current Sig/Avatar service threads, not complement them. I'd probably contribute more to the Sig/Avatar services if they were set up like Monkey is suggesting.

Lushs
08-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Thats exactly what i was suggesting but everyone kept saying i wanted a rating page??? but i don't lol

I'd rather have people look at my work, and decide if they want me to be the person to make their avatar or sig like a galary...

rubah
08-23-2005, 12:03 AM
it sounds like the 'sig shops' that they have in HP role playing forums.

Vyk
08-23-2005, 12:15 AM
The only problem is some people just have more talent with image programs. Those people are going to get tons of personal requests. Whereas the way things are set up right now, its not personal, it's whoever's available and willing to take up the next request in the thread. Too many decent participants are going to get overlooked in this manner. I think the Service threads are just fine the way they are ^_^'

crashNUMBERS
08-23-2005, 12:19 AM
yeah. In the avatar service you can reject the avatar if you dont like it...

Leeza
08-23-2005, 12:20 AM
I agree with Vyk. This is a somewhat good idea, but I can see where there will be problems. One of which is where someone will put up their sigs/avs and then disappear from the forums, like people usually do. Then we're stuck with people requesting sigs/avs from members who are no longer here and able/willing to make them anymore.

The regular sig/av threads right now have many members in there who will help out when they have time to give. This other suggestion is going to have only a couple of people doing work....sometimes. Because I can't see them working at this on a regular basis.

Lushs
08-23-2005, 01:11 AM
I guess... but then if people don't use the avatars/sigs people have made for them then they just wasted their time...

but come to think of it... it wouldn't be fair...

Del Murder
08-23-2005, 02:06 AM
Didn't your parents ever tell you that life wasn't fair?

Tama2
08-23-2005, 02:39 AM
Don't gotta make it even that much more unfair though.

Lushs
08-23-2005, 04:05 AM
I guess i just thought it was a good idea...

but obviously it's not! i get it...

Vyk
08-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Its just teasing ;P