PDA

View Full Version : I laughed... *WORLD 2 SPOILERS*

Dr. Casey
08-21-2005, 09:20 AM
... when Galuf died. He totally deserved it. :tongue:

Christmas
08-21-2005, 09:36 AM
Did he do something that offend you anyway?

boys from the dwarf
08-21-2005, 11:19 AM
galuf is one of the coolest characters in the game.your crazy dammit!

Captain Maxx Power
08-21-2005, 12:10 PM
Maybe he was offended by the beard? Or his faked amnesia?

Dreddz
08-21-2005, 01:02 PM
I dont care, his cutie daughter came instead.........

Mihhailovitš
08-21-2005, 03:36 PM
Galuf was a smelly old drunk who lied his way to king.

Del Murder
08-21-2005, 05:56 PM
He was great! It was a sad moment!

eestlinc
08-21-2005, 06:00 PM
his cutie 8 year old daughter...

Meat Puppet
08-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Doesn't she have down syndrome?

Chris
08-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Galuf rocked just as much as Butz. Oo

boys from the dwarf
08-21-2005, 07:11 PM
why do people care about aerises death so much?galufs death was much more memorable and better.and the other deaths in all of the FFs like the ones in 2 and 4 are better.i miss galuf josef ricard and yang(although his death is a fake.) minwu and scottmuch more than aerisl.

bipper
08-21-2005, 07:59 PM
I guess women dying hits you harder than an old dude dying.

weird

Bipper

rubah
08-21-2005, 08:03 PM
Galuf is one of the people that makes me want to do good things for the world;_;

I would rather aeris bite it any day rather than him.

boys from the dwarf
08-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Galuf is one of the people that makes me want to do good things for the world;_;

i agree with you completely.what good did aeris do anyway?

Masamune·1600
08-21-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't see why anyone would be glad that Galuf died, as he was among the more developed and interesting characters in FFV, and clearly did his best to stop the forces of evil. That being said, Galuf's death was somewhat predictable. Given that the other previous Dawn Warriors (Drogan, Zeza, and Kelga) perished as a result of the new crisis, and that reference was frequently made to Bartz and company as being the new Dawn Warriors, it seemed that Galuf was likely to be replaced. It was also fitting that he was replaced by his granddaughter Krile, as Drogan was also replaced by a blood relative (his son Bartz).

As to the matter of other deaths in the series, there is a reason that Aeris' death takes a sort of hegemony over those of characters like Josef, or Tellah, or Leo, or whatever character you prefer. Aeris had been by far the most developed character among those who had died (none of the many FFII characters that died, for example, received much in the way of personality), and, importantly, been included in FFVII (which garnered far more attention than previous FF titles). Further, Aeris' death was much more artfully executed, given the new possibilities inherent with the PlayStation. Aeris' Theme, one of the most powerful pieces in the series, was used to perfection here, and the atmosphere generated was at once shocking and sorrowful. This can be contrasted with any previous death in the series, where hardware limitation and scriptual matters mitigated the emotional impact of the demise of a character. Finally, Aeris' death (if you experienced it before it became common knowledge) was utterly surprising, completely out of the blue. Given that Cait Sith No. 1 had already "died" in overly dramatic fashion, and been subsequently "returned," the inescapable finality and unpredicatability of Aeris' death was distinctly magnified. Whether this affected you as I described is a matter of personal preference, of course, but I think it should be clear as to how that death differed from the others.

i agree with you completely.what good did aeris do anyway?

While I would sacrifice Galuf before Aeris, I do agree that Galuf was an excellent character who can engender good will in gamers.

As to "what good Aeris did," she initiated the Holy magic which, in effect, saved the Planet.

Slade
08-22-2005, 07:02 AM
I guess women dying hits you harder than an old dude dying.

weird

Bipper

Not with Aeris and Galuf. It was much sader when Galuf dies because he had family to witness it. Remember Cara's reaction......*sniff* .Aeris had no family left. Not to mention Sephiroths speech straight after then the Jenova fight changing the mood completely. Plus it was a bigger shock when Galuf died than when Aeris did. Only one word for it. DEVASTATED :cry:

boys from the dwarf
08-22-2005, 12:20 PM
what good did she do when she was ALIVE?i knew what she did when she was dead.

ScottNUMBERS
08-22-2005, 02:14 PM
As to "what good Aeris did," she initiated the Holy magic which, in effect, saved the Planet.

I thought Holy had the opposite effect and helped meteor destroy midgar, and the lifestream saved the planet.

Prancing Mad
08-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Actually, I thought Sephiroth's speech after Aeris death made it much sadder, it showed his callousness

Masamune·1600
08-22-2005, 03:55 PM
what good did she do when she was ALIVE?i knew what she did when she was dead.

Aeris began the prayer at the Water Altar while she was still alive, and it was this action (simply praying for Holy) that initiated the Magic. In all likelihood, Aeris did not even need to die for the Magic to take effect. Remember that Cloud suggests to the others at the end of Disc 2 that Aeris has not yet returned to the Planet, even though we already saw during the Key of the Ancients sequence that the White Materia had begun to glow (indicating its activation).

I thought Holy had the opposite effect and helped meteor destroy midgar, and the lifestream saved the planet.

That's a common misconception as to the effects of Holy. In actuality, however, the Lifestream merely strengthened Holy, which by itself was insufficient in stopping Meteor. This should be obvious for several reasons. First, Sephiroth (as discussed by Bugenhagen and Cloud in the Key of the Ancients sequence) is explicitly stated to be blocking Holy. If the Magic was meant to strengthen the effects of or otherwise aid Meteor, he would never have done so. Furthermore, the White Materia is explicitly stated to do what's good for the Planet. While destroying Midgar would probably helped Gaia and its Lifestream, allowing the catastrophic impact of Meteor would have threatened the entire Planet. This is clearly outside the boundaries of the Holy magic.

During the final FMV sequences, as the party looks on, Red XIII suggests that Holy is "too late." This can be taken to mean either that Holy, in being delayed, had lost some of its potency, or that the Magic was taking place to close the the surface (Holy, perhaps, should have encountered Meteor in the upper atmosphere). Whatever the case may be, the Lifestream itself strengthened Holy in its intended function (stopping Meteor), and Gaia survived.

boys from the dwarf
08-23-2005, 09:28 AM
my point still remains.aeris is /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif compared to galuf and any other FF character ever.

ThroneofDravaris
08-23-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey, come up with actual proof like masamune1600 did, and we might be more incline to believe you...

Christmas
08-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Also, she might be also the one that get the Lifestream to help combat the Meteor since her face showed up in the ending and from the background I guess she is inside the lifestream.

MJN SEIFER
08-23-2005, 08:21 PM
his cutie 8 year old daughter...

Mr. Graves
08-23-2005, 08:54 PM
I kinda chuckled when either Reina or Faris (I don't rightly remember which) were using spells and items to revive him, even though I was a little sad. Galuf was the man, for sure.

UltimateSpamGrover
08-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Whe Galuf died, that's when Bartz *officially* became a pimp.

Fin.

Dr. Casey
09-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Galuf's death was not in vain!

Jiro
11-12-2005, 10:11 AM
Damn Straight! He Set Bartz On The Path To Pimpdom! With 3 Chicks To Perv On He Was Teh Pimpish Pimper. Oh and he helped save the world/planets/universe/whatever.
Galuf taught bartz everything to know about pimpin

Mirage
11-12-2005, 11:45 AM
I kinda chuckled when either Reina or Faris (I don't rightly remember which) were using spells and items to revive him, even though I was a little sad. Galuf was the man, for sure.

That was Krile. The 3 other party members were lying half dead near the wall.

Takara
11-12-2005, 12:40 PM
And isn't Krile actually his granddaughter?

Mirage
11-12-2005, 07:41 PM
Granddaughter.

Sephex
11-14-2005, 12:43 AM
When Galuf died, I was happy that Butz got to pimp with three ladiez.

Neco Arc
11-14-2005, 07:20 AM
the person who laughs at Galuf's death shall be killed by my almight ultima attack... no seriously, Galuf was awesome... i was as shocked to see him die as well as Aeris... and since FFV was my first FF game i could not understand how a main character could die (one that you actually used and grew accustomed to)...

Dr. Casey
11-14-2005, 12:59 PM
the person who laughs at Galuf's death shall be killed by my almight ultima attack

Uh, how about NO

ThroneofDravaris
11-14-2005, 02:19 PM
Yeah, I mean Ultima wasn’t even in this game…

boys from the dwarf
11-20-2005, 07:38 AM
fair enough aeris was important but her personality sucked and she was so annoying.

Crossblades
11-20-2005, 07:51 PM
... when Galuf died. He totally deserved it. :tongue:

That's harsh isn't it. You don't laugh at a person dying >_>

Shin Gouken
11-22-2005, 07:31 AM
Galuf was a hardcore dude. He kicked some major arse considering hes an old guy. And he died valiently, that makes him a hero in my book.

charchar
11-23-2005, 01:35 AM
aries' death was sad, i guess. not half as sad ans everyone makes it out to be. personally, i didn't care for her as a character. Galuf's death, while, yes, predictable, was a little more emotional.

but NOWHERE near as sad and anything involving Cyan and his family. when they leave on the phantom train, woah.

eestlinc
11-23-2005, 02:52 AM
hey now, Galuf was cool and it sucks he died, but Cyan had it coming!

ThroneofDravaris
11-23-2005, 03:09 AM
*starts listening to Chicago*

Primus Inter Pares
11-23-2005, 10:52 AM
Did he do something that offend you anyway?
Unknowns had this thread at the first reply, I didn't laugh when Galuf died, but I laughed when I saw this reply.

Christmas
11-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Unknowns had this thread at the first reply, I didn't laugh when Galuf died, but I laughed when I saw this reply.

What's so funny then....

Dr. Casey
11-27-2005, 03:55 AM
*Has been playing through FF5 the last couple of days*

Man, the Galuf vs. Exdeath fight is badass. Galuf should have about -20,000 HP by the time the fight's over, but he keeps on fighting and mangling the laws of RPG physics. Hell yeah, Galuf. Hell yeah.