PDA

View Full Version : Bug?

bipper
08-21-2005, 07:16 PM
http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1274873#post1274873

On that forum i notices that old manus found a way to break the forums :) lol just though I would post and say that the message div (or whatever you use (too lazy to look)) should have its overflow porperty set to scroll or hidden..

Just thought I would say somthin :) In case of abuse :)
Sorry if I should done somthing else with this tidbit, but this seemed the easiest for me :)
Bipper

Shoeberto
08-21-2005, 07:19 PM
I think I deleted the post you were talking about, but before that it didn't show up. I know what you're talking about, though. I see it from time to time. Refreshing the page always seems to fix it.

-N-
08-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Yeah, the sigs of one person will overflow into the post of the next person every once in a while due to I don't know why at all. Is that what you're talking about?

bipper
08-21-2005, 07:35 PM
Yeah, the sigs of one person will overflow into the post of the next person every once in a while due to I don't know why at all. Is that what you're talking about?

Naw I am sure its all browser dependant. I use firefox and rarely have a problem .. IE for me atleast is very problematic, and the site gets twho thumbs up when I use my Jbrowse, and Amaya.

Sounds like it could all be fixed with the same line though.

I think I deleted the post you were talking about, but before that it didn't show up. I know what you're talking about, though. I see it from time to time. Refreshing the page always seems to fix it.

Yup you deleted it - and I did try refreshing first. The text had no spaces to be wrapped so it extended the allocated block size for the text beyond the limit of the div, thus breaking the div and making it grow longer. By setting the div's overflow pruperty to hidden, it would mearly stop the page from getting the hScrbar and if people really wanted to read it - they could highlight the text and the div would move.. or auto would give it scrolls if you wanted too -- but that looks gross /shrug

Just suggestions :) Not dogging the sight or anythign... methinks its perfect... close enough

Bipper

Old Manus
08-21-2005, 08:23 PM
OWNED

Meat Puppet
08-21-2005, 08:26 PM
oh know he is a hacker :(:(
he will get my cred. card details and have babies with my children :(:(

Old Manus
08-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Too late

bipper
08-21-2005, 08:45 PM
No Worries kiddies, I dont hack. Your credit cards are safe, and your grand babies have no hope of getting decent DNA ;) :greenie:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-21-2005, 11:57 PM
I'm mad as a

eestlinc
08-22-2005, 12:02 AM
well I have the sig overflow problems sometimes too, and I use firefox.

Hawkeye
08-22-2005, 12:34 AM
In the famous words of Yams:

I'll live

thought nothing against you putting forth a forum problem ;)

And since we are on the topic of discussing forum problems, I, once again, want to protest against this forums childs labor ordiments. They should extend to the internet as well

bipper
08-22-2005, 03:34 AM
wierd, never had the sig overflow issue :)

I dont know anything about the server but I have seen issues like that when people use the apache 2.0 setup with linux :) Has to do with the fact that it's engeneered to run more on a threaded OS such as windows. This only happens on only larger high traffic servers though -- which i belive this is. There are a lot of hosts who erronously use Apache 2.0 on the *nix boxes. Don't ask why... they should be using 1.3

Like I say i know this much about this site |---| but its just a suggestion as ususal..../shrug
Bipper

Yamaneko
08-22-2005, 03:43 AM
Apache is a Linux-native server, which is why it's primarily run on Linux boxes. In fact, the development branch of Apache 2.1 is only offered for Unix/Linux boxes.

Samuraid
08-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Don't ask why... they should be using 1.3

Just to get all the facts straight: (obligatory rant following)
Apache 2.0 is a threading application (as opposed to 1.3, which forks) which does make it a prime candidate for Windows servers.

The main problem can occur when concurrent threads try to access resources simultaneously, which can happen more frequently under heavy traffic.

However, that does not exclude it from *nix systems at all as most of the problems are introduced by using non-thread-safe modules. (the apache 2.0 core is far more stable than the modules in this case) In fact, Apache 2.0 does have it's advantages over 1.3. We could use Apache 2.0 seamlessly on this server as long as it were configured correctly.

The main reasons why many hosts (us included) still use 1.3:
» Some modules such as mod_throttle or mod_bwlimited are still only for 1.3, and many web control panels such as Cpanel/WHM (which we use) rely on these modules to provide certain important features
» If it ain't broke...
» 2.0 and 1.3 perform similarly in general cases
» Apache 1.3 is a forking application, and thus is still very suitable for *nix servers. (not to say 2.0 isn't suitable, forking is just safe and efficient under *nix)

When Apache 2 modules become completely thread safe and the core application reaches maturity, it will desired over 1.3 for both Windows and *nix. However, it still can be used with Linux, given that it's configured correctly.

Ok, all done. :)
</rant>

-N-
08-22-2005, 04:28 AM
samuraid for the win

Yamaneko
08-22-2005, 04:32 AM
I know, seriously. This guy knows too much. :p

-N-
08-22-2005, 04:47 AM
He said my questionnaire coding was nice. :love:

And then he totally fancied it up. :D

eestlinc
08-22-2005, 05:08 AM
That's why he's the man, man.

crono_logical
08-22-2005, 09:05 AM
I've had the "sig overflow" thing in my browser - it's just firefox misrendering the page from when it was loading while you were looking at another tab or something. I find resizing the browser window forces it to re-render and fix itself :p

bipper
08-22-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey thanks that Samuraid. It does make sence, everything that you said.
As I said I never ment to dog the site and I mean the same for servers and services in general. I was hopfully just pitching .. mabey a couple sence worth into what the sig overflow problem may be. I have seen, first person, issues arise with *nix systems using Apache 2.0. Especially with the PHPmods installed. Did't know if that coulda been an issue here .. .evidently not :)

Bipper

Samuraid
08-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Especially with the PHPmods installed.
You are quite correct. :)

We do not recommend using a threaded MPM in production with Apache2. Use the prefork MPM instead, or use Apache1.

Thankfully Apache 2 does have a prefork MPM (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/prefork.html) . :D

bipper
08-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Thankfully Apache 2 does have a prefork MPM .

You just made my life that much easier.... I love you

Bipper

Sereiously... lol I have honestly never stumbled on that tidbit. The best way to treat a headach is to prevent it eh?