PDA

View Full Version : Witch Areis

Lord Magician
08-21-2005, 07:24 PM
In some web sites I hear she is called Areis. In other web sites, she is called Aerith. So, whats her real name? I have not seen a thread on this yet! :eek:

Vyk
08-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Keep digging.

I suppose I could sum it up for you. Aerith is pronounced just like Aeris. They're both different romanizations of her Japanese name. Which was a play on the word "Earth" from what I've gathered. But the Japanese don't have a "th" sound. So it became Earissu or something. Which romanized to Aeris.

Though there's some latin stipulation, people think Aerith is more accurate because of its origin with the word "Earth". But the latin "th" I guess is pronounced like an "S" because everyone says Aerith and Aeris are pronounced the same way. So it doesn't matter how you spell them, you're gonna say them the same.

Lord Magician
08-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Alright, thanks for telling me! :D

boys from the dwarf
08-21-2005, 09:12 PM
this topics title brings up an interesting point.aeris is a witch *burns*!:hot::evilking:

G SpOtZ
08-22-2005, 02:47 AM
aeris was thought to be a witch. long ago, when people believed if somebody was a witch, they would say "okay, we're gonna throw you in the lake, and if you float or swim, (something like that) you must be a witch, and if you die..... my bad!"
that's why cloud put her in the water at the ancient city. he wanted to see if she would float, cuz then she'd be a which, and then he would have to REALLLY kill her, not just weakly stab her in the back. and there was a hidden cutscene where it showed the conversation between aeris and cloud, so cloud was explaining, and tossed her in the lil lake. she didn't float. guess she wasn't a which. oops.

raskerino
08-22-2005, 03:22 AM
nope it was if you sunk you're now going to heaven, this way the killer is never in the wrong and has helped our world either way. Send them to heaven or kill a witch, either way it sounds good, it's also horrible.

G SpOtZ
08-22-2005, 03:25 AM
either way she died. HAH! i know a word that rhymes with witch...i'll give you a hint. it's aeris.

BG-57
08-22-2005, 03:30 AM
Japanese have no 'th' sound so they have to approximate it.

For example, the surname 'Smith' is pronounced 'Su-Mi-Su'.

So her name would end with a 'su' either way in Japanese.

G SpOtZ
08-22-2005, 03:35 AM
i'm japanese, erm.. half at least ^_^ everybody seems like they know stuff about japanese language and culture. either you're really smart (nerdy, in a way), just interested in japan because of the anime and games (also somewhat nerdy XD) or you are japanese. btw this isn't to anyone in specific xD i've just seen a lot of people make really good points about their opinions on things with japanese reference.

oh, and mercen x is right. ^_^

BG-57
08-22-2005, 03:54 AM
Speaking for myself, it's a combination of anime and manga that have sparked my interest in Japan. I even spent two weeks there with a very nice family. Despite all this I speak very little Japanese. What little I knew sure impressed the folks over there though.

G SpOtZ
08-22-2005, 03:56 AM
they get easily impressed because they love americans XD

it's true. they love half japs more tho :cool:

-N-
08-22-2005, 04:41 AM
Your spam insults my integrity.

G SpOtZ
08-22-2005, 08:40 AM
sorry sir. it's my religion. =\

Dreddz
08-22-2005, 10:44 AM
I prononce is Aerith, but spell it Aeris.......

Mirage
08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
So you pronounce it the way you spell it, good job.

Lord Magician
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I meant to name this place "Which Areis", but I mistaken the which with witch. My bad! :D I but this does bring over a good topic.

P.S. G SpOtZ you crack me up! :D Where you get these ideas? :D

Mirage
08-22-2005, 10:17 PM
While you're at it, you should put that 'e' in front of the 'r' :p.

Vyk
08-22-2005, 10:17 PM
I think he meant he says it with a lisp XD

MysticD
09-08-2005, 07:53 AM
aeris was thought to be a witch. long ago, when people believed if somebody was a witch, they would say "okay, we're gonna throw you in the lake, and if you float or swim, (something like that) you must be a witch, and if you die..... my bad!"
that's why cloud put her in the water at the ancient city. he wanted to see if she would float, cuz then she'd be a which, and then he would have to REALLLY kill her, not just weakly stab her in the back. and there was a hidden cutscene where it showed the conversation between aeris and cloud, so cloud was explaining, and tossed her in the lil lake. she didn't float. guess she wasn't a which. oops.

*Dies laughing*

KoShiatar
09-08-2005, 01:11 PM
In Japanese she is called Earisu, correct me if I am wrong.

G SpOtZ
09-08-2005, 10:28 PM
yeah, she is. but in Japanese symbols. lol. she's prounounced "Eh-ri-su", except they can't prounounce their "r"s. tons of people have said that already.

Light Mage
09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Yuo could just call her Flower Girl and be done with it. ;-)

*waves*
Hello, I'm a Flower Girl from the Slums. Want one? They're only a Gil! I'm also available for weddings and funerals, special discount prices!