PDA

View Full Version : Why don't y'all have last names?

Nick Schovitz
08-21-2005, 10:33 PM
Okay I was wondering, out of all the new Final Fantasies howcome this one doesn't have anyone with a last name. FFVII did, VIII did, and IX.
See there's Cloud Strife, Squall Leonhart, Zidane Tribulin, and plain old Tidus. Did anyone else ever thought of this?

§håd0w
08-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Probably for the exact same reason why they never say 'Tidus' in either FFX or FFX-2

Nick Schovitz
08-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I know it's dumb, they didn't because in the beggining of the game, you have to choose his name. Technology isn't that advance for them to say the name you give him. It's weird that they were traveling around the planet with him and never asked him his name? That would definetly be fake. They should've just left it as Tidus and we couldn't choose his name.

TheAbominatrix
08-21-2005, 10:49 PM
They DO say his name, whatever name you give him, in text conversations. They just dont have the voice actors say it. So yes, the party knows Tidus' name.

As for the characters not having surnames, it's most likely to create a certain sort of aptmosphere/world feel. Our ancestors didnt always have surnames, after all.

Nick Schovitz
08-21-2005, 10:53 PM
What the there's never any text conversations! except when you're talking to some random stranger, no one ever calls him by the name you give him.

TheAbominatrix
08-21-2005, 10:55 PM
Yes, there are. The party speaks in text conversation from time to time. And regardless, it's absolutely ridiculous to think they traveled the entire way with this guy and didnt know his name.

§håd0w
08-21-2005, 11:10 PM
His name is only spoken from one of the Aurochs and somoene in Guadosalam that saw the tournament (assuming you won.) But it is never spoken. Leaving the name a constant would have made the game better, instead of calling Tidus 'new guy' or 'newbie' or something.

abrojtm
08-22-2005, 12:03 AM
Most characters have had last names since FFIV. Who knows why these ones didn't.

kikimm
08-22-2005, 12:14 AM
I thought Zidane's last name was Tribal. Eh.

Anyways, they most likely DO have last names, but they just weren't mentioned, for whatever reason. Besides, last names seem sort of trivial, when you're playing a game. Not every character in every game has a last name.

Ugh, I'm just going to get redundant, and I don't care anymore. IT DOESN'T MATTER. =D

Masamune·1600
08-22-2005, 04:48 AM
Actually, it seems as though at least one character in FFX does have a conventional surname. Maester Kinoc, on his first appearance, is described by Lulu as "Wen Kinoc."

Lulu: (to Tidus) That's Wen Kinoc, one of the Four Maesters of Yevon. He
leads the warrior monks and also commands the Crusaders.

Unless Wen is in the nature of a title (and there is no indication of this), then it seems (obviously) as though at least one individual in Spira has a last name.

That being said, there is nothing at the present time which reveals the surnames of FFX characters, or even suggests their existence. It's possible, however, that SE may eventually do so. Note that Reeve, who controlled Cait Sith in FFVII, was never given any last name in the game itself. However, with expansion to the Compilation, it seems as though Reeve's last name is actually "Tuesti."

Most likely, however, the characters were intentionally not given surnames, simply to contribute to the "fantasy feel" of Spira. In this regard, Maester Kinoc seems to be an aberration.

Sephex
08-22-2005, 05:29 AM
Okay, I know their names.

Tidus Jesus
Auron Swordo
Wakka Muppet
Lulu Lala
Yuna Yuan
Kimari Rooster (it's Ronso in the US, but translated to japanese it comes out as Rooster)
Rikku Aguilera

Big D
08-22-2005, 05:34 AM
All the Ronso and Guado have surnames, although their surnames just inicate the minority tribe they belong to. "Kimahri Ronso" and "Seymour Guado", for example. However, it's notable that Seymour is "Seymour Solus" in the Japanese script.

In Europe, surnames arose when populations grew. In order to collect tax properly, officials needed to know who was who "Bill from village X" just didn't cut it anymore, so people began adopting surnames, based on some aspect of their job or history. Metalworkers often became "Smith", the same was true for fletchers, coopers, thatchers and others. Basically, people took on an extra name so that they could be distinguished from others with the same given name as them.

Spira, however, is a ravaged world - for a thousand years, Sin had been laying waste to human settlements. Resultantly, most communities are small and sparse. Bevelle and Luca are the two biggest cities, and even they are quite modest. Thus, most Spirans probably have little need for a second name. However, in the larger cities, some people might indeed have a surname. This would explain Kinoc. It's notable that Kinoc never gets addressed as Wen, even by his "old friend" Auron. He's always simply Kinoc, which suggests that, even when a Spiran has a surname, it's very rarely used.

Edit: xD @ Sephex

boys from the dwarf
08-22-2005, 12:35 PM
zidanes last name is tribal and also,sephex?is this true or have you been smoking some bad stuff.

Mirage
08-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Uh, Yuna's last name is Spira. Atleast her father's last name was. I'm not sure about Tidus, but I believe his last name is as simple as Zanarkand.

kikimm
08-22-2005, 07:47 PM
zidanes last name is tribal and also,sephex?is this true or have you been smoking some bad stuff.

Sephex was making a funny. It's not true; although it should have been.

Nick Schovitz
08-23-2005, 12:12 AM
Okay, I know their names.

Tidus Jesus
Auron Swordo
Wakka Muppet
Lulu Lala
Yuna Yuan
Kimari Rooster (it's Ronso in the US, but translated to japanese it comes out as Rooster)
Rikku Aguilera

You're kidding right?

§håd0w
08-23-2005, 12:17 AM
Read the post before your's cheif.

Rengori
08-23-2005, 01:32 AM
Wakka Muppet
*bursts out in laughter at the thought*

syun_ukiya
08-23-2005, 02:18 AM
the creators are lazy to think of one..

Fireblade13
08-23-2005, 12:47 PM
In Paper Mario 2 you can name mario whatever but they still say Mario. But they didn't have voice acting in there.

syun_ukiya
08-24-2005, 05:32 AM
in suikoden you name your character and the in-game text will recognize the name you given your character lol. in fact when you load you s1 save to s2 the name of the past protagonist will change.