PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Final Fantasy series would have been as popular if....

ultima88
08-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Do you think the Final Fantasy series would have been as popular if, after FF1 they had continued to make the Final Fantasy games, but not called them Final Fantasy, if u know what i mean, arguably FF7 was the most popular/most bought, but what if when it came to FF8, 9, 10, 10-2..... they had given them other names, do u think it would have been as popular ? just look at vagrant story, if they had named this final fantasy whatever do you think it would have been more popular ?

this was just somthing i was thinkig to myself, what do you's think ?

Mihhailovitš
08-22-2005, 12:13 AM
Well depends on what name

Had they named it Book reading adventure I personally dont think it would have been very successful.

Rengori
08-22-2005, 01:00 AM
I doubt FFVIII would sell well if they named it "Military School."

ultima88
08-22-2005, 01:01 AM
well yeh i kinda guessed that, but i just ment if they thought up a good name for it

Rengori
08-22-2005, 01:06 AM
If they thought up a good name, it'd be Final Fantasy.

ljkkjlcm9
08-22-2005, 01:25 AM
well you can't really say in the beginning people only bought FF games because it was an FF game... like FF2 didn't do well because it was FF. And for most fans, as long as it is made by Square, as I know myself to be this type of fan, I'll take a look at what it's like and probably pick it up, and definitely will if it's an RPG.

THE JACKEL

rubah
08-22-2005, 02:11 AM
FF2 didn't "do well" because it wasn't sold in this country until a few years ago.

I'll wait for someone to quote how it did in japan now xD

DJZen
08-22-2005, 03:55 AM
Well enough for them to want to remake it 5 times. Yes, FIVE times.

Rengori
08-22-2005, 03:58 AM
DoS (duh), Origins, the one on the Wonderswan. That's three. Yes, THREE times. Prove me wrong for a :cookie:.

DJZen
08-22-2005, 04:06 AM
Final Fantasy I & II - Nintendo Famicom
Final Fantasy II - FoMA 90li

Now gimme a cookie and do your homework! ;)

Rengori
08-22-2005, 04:12 AM
Final Fantasy I & II - Nintendo Famicom
Final Fantasy II - FoMA 90li

Now gimme a cookie and do your homework! ;)
:cookie:
You--->:twak:<---Me

MecaKane
08-22-2005, 06:29 AM
The NES one is not a remake.

And of course they wouldn't do as well if they were all named something different. Sure they could still advertise "from the makers of blah blah comes blah blah" but it wouldn't have the effect of a series of titles implying they all have the same levels of quality and characterstics.

Dreddz
08-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Do you think the Final Fantasy series would have been as popular if
they are already popular......

Primus Inter Pares
08-22-2005, 10:35 AM
That's the beauty of it, and why square-enix(or whatever they're called nowadays) sticks with FF, they don't need to come up with new names, just sell em as roman numerals, they found one good name and stuck with it...

Captain Maxx Power
08-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Would the series have been as popular if there weren't Chocobos? Would it have been as popular if they hadn't had the Scan spell? If all the male characters had long hair? If the women all did silly dances randomly? It's all moot point really, because what's in a name after all? Not much, since the quality of the product will determine the popularity of the brand name, not the name itself (for the most part).

Zante
08-22-2005, 02:59 PM
If they would have different names, people would blame Square for not being original and reusing the same things over and over again.

ThroneofDravaris
08-22-2005, 03:18 PM
I think FF would have sold better if they had called it "Pokemon".

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-22-2005, 06:02 PM
FFVIII should have been called 'The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants'. The person who decided to name a book/movie that was an idiot :)

Armisael
08-22-2005, 06:27 PM
I doubt FFVIII would sell well if they named it "Military School."
:lol:

I believe that everything --including the name of course-- plays a major role for a game to be succesful..So if the name isn't "attractive" the game won't sell that much..

DJZen
08-22-2005, 08:42 PM

There never was an NES one, and my point still holds because FFI&II was released ridiculously late in the Famicom's life cycle and proves that it was popular enough that Square felt justified in releasing it again.

Rengori
08-22-2005, 10:29 PM
Does this mean I can have my cookie back?

Fireblade13
08-23-2005, 04:21 PM
No one would have bought CC if if it didn't have FF in it.

KentaRawr!
08-23-2005, 08:53 PM
DoS (duh), Origins, the one on the Wonderswan. That's three. Yes, THREE times. Prove me wrong for a :cookie:.

I am pretty sure the WonderSwan version was not released outside Japan.

Edit: Oops. >_< I thought you were talking about something else.

Well, let's see...

Final Fantasy 1 & 2 for the NES. (They were re-released in Japan as a 2 in 1 package, if I remember correctly.)

Final Fantasy for the MSX

Final Fantasy for the WonderSwan Color

Final Fantasy Origins for the Playstation

Final Fantasy DoS

I demand a cookie!

So-Luna
08-23-2005, 10:29 PM
What would u have named the games then ?

DJZen
08-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Swan Song

Rengori
08-23-2005, 11:08 PM

I am pretty sure the WonderSwan version was not released outside Japan.

Edit: Oops. >_< I thought you were talking about something else.

Well, let's see...

Final Fantasy 1 & 2 for the NES. (They were re-released in Japan as a 2 in 1 package, if I remember correctly.)

Final Fantasy for the MSX

Final Fantasy for the WonderSwan Color

Final Fantasy Origins for the Playstation

Final Fantasy DoS

I demand a cookie!
:cookie: I'm running out of cookies...

Lawr
08-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Lets see Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
sell more than any Final Fantasy game lower
than 5 and there is only 2 of them, which
means all you eed is a trailer and you'll be all set
its like this if they named FF12 Barneys Adventure
would you still buy it if the trailer is good?

Yuna Braska 19
08-24-2005, 12:45 AM
I did not think FFX-2 was bad, it turn out to be fun.
Really the game is about Shuyin coming back from the Dead and is going kill all of Spria, cause of what happen to Shuyin and Lenne.
And He did get really mad cause that was repeting in his mind of him and Lenne geting killed 1000 years...

Lawr
08-24-2005, 01:03 AM
Thats not why ppl hate X-2 its because Yuna acts so
rikuish that it gets annoying

cookieface
08-27-2005, 08:04 AM
It's hard to say for certain if Final Fantasy games would have been as popular with different names. The whole thing got changed completely starting from 7. But as a pre-7 fan, I would have looked at that game differently if it hadn't carried the Final Fantasy name. It's possible I would have really liked it, since it wouldn't have been disbanding a better formula, as it did, only starting it's own. And also, FF didn't really get popular until 7 was sold, so the question of why is forever up to debate.

Did it get attention because of the Final Fantasy name, or just because it had a high sequel number? Or just because of the advertising?

The huge number of kiddies that raved that game to sales greatness didn't give a damn about the FF name, only the modest number of fans did, many of which that game pissed off. I really doubted that the name and not just the high sequel number attracted the people, but it's impossible to know for sure. But it's possible that if FF7 really did start a fan base on it's own content. In which case it could have just been named something else just as well, and everyone would have been happy. And before someone questions the importance of FF7 in all this, don't worry, it's a fact that FF7 remains the most loved and most popular FF game to date. Most of the FF "fans" in existence today started with that game, that's also a fact.

Either way, I blame Nintendo for FF7. Their bad treatment of Square brought Square to change a lot of their views.

ultima88
08-27-2005, 09:51 AM
i think thats quite true, i got started on FF7, it came out when i was about 8, and for a while i just thought it was called "final fantasy 7" i didnt know there where six other games previous :D i thought they must have just added the "7" in to sound cool or somthing *shrugs*

but through FF7 i grew to love all the rest of them, and have bought, every final fantasy since then