PDA

View Full Version : Teen love!

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 08:33 AM
Some people think of Teen Love and smile. It's not real love, they say. Puppy Love, they call it. Those people, I think, have very short memories, and no longer recall the realities of their first love experiences. While few expect teen love to last a lifetime, that hardly makes it less real. Half or more of all adult love doesn't last a lifetime either.

Teen love is very real. And powerful. Perhaps at no other time in our lives are the joys and pains felt as strongly, or experienced more deeply. Who among us, after all, can ever forget our first love.........So do you remember your first love & do you believe at Teen love?

tomamar04
08-22-2005, 08:37 AM
I've never been in love so I can't really tell.

But I know teenagers who think they're in love, but they're not.

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 08:42 AM

Yeah that's right but when a (teen) relationship keeps for years & have passed every test..........It is real love!I think so........

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-22-2005, 08:44 AM
"forget our first love" funny. teen love. im a teen, I believe I am in love. but he problem is she is my best friend, and has a boyfriend. so you see my dilema. oh /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, im the fucking stereotypical teen movie best friend. damn.

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 08:48 AM
Hehe......I know this isn't funny!That happends!

Meat Puppet
08-22-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm in love with my acne

08-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Hehe......I know this isn't funny!That happends!
youre telling me. she told me the other day that she liked me before she started going out with her boyfriend, but didnt tell me cause she didnt want to seem slutty.

FallenSilence
08-22-2005, 09:01 AM

That was so obviously directed at me. And you're so wrong. Just because you've never been in love doesn't mean I haven't. I'm in love, it's just the unrequited kind.

-N-
08-22-2005, 09:02 AM
There is no group of people in the world more conceited than teenagers.

08-22-2005, 09:07 AM
thats probably true, but I try not to be vain. most concieted teens are just caught up in popularity.

SomethingBig
08-22-2005, 09:36 AM
Botch: Wanna go out?
Shaneece: Like, YEAH! I love you!
Botch: I love you, too!

I love teen love.

Leene
08-22-2005, 09:40 AM
:save:I do not believe in teen love i never loved my boyfriend...Maybe i do not believe in teen love cause i haven't found it yet!:save:

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 09:41 AM
That's true!I think you've found him & he likes you!Just chase him!

Leene
08-22-2005, 09:45 AM
:save:οτι πεις:save:

Dazed and Confused
08-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Teen love is great, but then again, no teenager knows what adult love is like! (Except for Tom Hanks in 'Big' of course)

tomamar04
08-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Adult love>Teen love>Puppy Love

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 09:49 AM
Teen Love<Adult Love

Dazed and Confused
08-22-2005, 09:50 AM
What about N.A.M.B.L.A (The North American Man-Boy Love Association)

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 09:51 AM
N.A.M.B.L.A?

escobert
08-22-2005, 09:53 AM
xD

Dazed and Confused
08-22-2005, 09:53 AM
It's fom South Park.

Anyway I don't want to spam tooooooo much so I'll just say that teen love can get annoying at times (ie. all the time) which is why i choose to remain single and sexy

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Why don't you try to prove your sexiness by having a boyfriend?

Dazed and Confused
08-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Because I have had a couple of boyfriends recently and I am now enjoying being free and single and not having to be constantly tied to somebody

boris no no
08-22-2005, 11:09 AM
but how do you mean teen love??
13 year olds? no
16+ perhaps

i feel in love when i was 18....is that still a teenager.....i dunno ;p

Princess_Yuna
08-22-2005, 12:41 PM
From 13 to 18

Meat Puppet
08-22-2005, 12:49 PM
what about eleventeen

Alive-Cat
08-22-2005, 01:04 PM
I think teenagers are more likely to think they're in love but not be, but teen love can be true. I know this guy who's been with his girlfriend for like, 3 years or something now, and they're still teenagers.

Rye
08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
Teens CAN be in love, but more often it's lust, it's only called "love" until Guy A dumps Girl B because Girl C has a better rack, as Fuza put it so well a while ago.

Zante
08-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Teen love is the same as normal love, its just that adults can usualy deal with it better, imho.

blackchocobo9999
08-22-2005, 03:12 PM
:D

Kamiko
08-22-2005, 04:06 PM
See teh signature. :fpenerg:

-N-
08-22-2005, 05:05 PM
No one reads signatures.

Dreddz
08-22-2005, 06:03 PM
Ive never loved..........

faster skating penguin
08-22-2005, 07:05 PM
<!--
Botch: Wanna go out?
Shaneece: Like, YEAH! I love you!
Botch: I love you, too!

I love teen love.

OMG Botch is going out with Shaneece? SINCE WHEN!?-->*snip*

Spam post. ~ Leeza

Jojee
08-22-2005, 07:18 PM
I believe in love ^_~

Zeldy
08-22-2005, 07:19 PM
I believe in a thing called love ^_~

Jojee
08-22-2005, 07:20 PM
And your mom o_0

XD What are you on about?

Dr.K
08-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Teen love is the same as normal love, its just that adults can usualy deal with it better, imho.

Sasquatch
08-22-2005, 07:26 PM
I'm sure this is kind of cliche, but when you get older, you'll understand.

Nobody forgets their first "love". Nobody forgets how they felt, or what they did, or their first kiss, or anything. We just get more mature and realize (hopefully) what real love is, and the differences between real love and what we though was real love when we were teenagers. There really aren't any "tests" for teen love, like there are for real love, and it's extremely unlikely that a teenage relationship will last more than a couple months, not to say years.

Teenagers tend to greatly exaggerate their emotions.

Aeris 1 Gainsborough
08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
I'm 17 and so is boyfriend and my boyfriend now is my first boyfriend, my only boyfriend. I think we are in love. It took a long time to get together, but now we are very happy.

In a lot of great anime/manga and other stories, the main couple has such a great story and they are teenagers.

In Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, the best story, the best couple, the main couple, has the most loving story. Their ages are 14 and 19 in the anime, 14 and 17 in the manga, 14 and 19 in the anime, and they get married and have a child.

In Fushigi Yuugi, another great story, the main couple, a wonderful couple, are 15 and 17 and they have a wonderful story.

In Ayashi no Ceres, another good manga, the main couple are ages 16 and 22 and they have a great story too.

In the Sweet Valley series, their are lots of great teen couples.

Their are so many wonderful series I can name where the main couple as teens and they are great couples.

All these stories are wonderful. I am 17 and my boyfriend is 17, and if you knew our story, the way we fell in love and how long it took us to get together, you'd realize how strong our love is. We have a special relationship.

Optium
08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Is it that adults in love have short memories or that since they've experienced
true love they realize that teen love wasn't?

Ahhh...

.opt

kikimm
08-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Just because teenagers love each other, truly, in anime and manga, doesn't mean that it works the same way for us in the real world.

I don't believe in teen love. I'm going to be lazy and not explain why.

bipper
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
:confused: I fell in love with my wife when i was a teeniebopper...(ewe.. last time i will ever say that word... I hope)

I am now 22 and happily married to her. I don't think there is really any true love... jsut love that you treat true and never want to defile with the first peice of meat that walks by. ya know?

I have had other loves in the past sides her; but she is the one I chose - was our love better or what? I will never know as I don't compare.. They were all lovley experiences, and worrying weather I made a proper choice would be a waste of time as I am plenty happy now.

Anyways, I think teens are just as capable of love as adults. Listen to your heart and thoughts and not your whoremones. :tongue:

Bipper

Aeris 1 Gainsborough
08-22-2005, 08:54 PM
When people say that it's not real, it hurts my feelings, because my relationship with my boyfriend is very special and we're 17, but everyone can have their own opinion.

Jess
08-22-2005, 09:56 PM
I believe that Teen love is possible, but its not very often that it occurs. Most of the time the teens get their hormones mixed up with their emotions, or because they've never felt real love before they assume that because the emotion is strong, it must be love, which its not.
Yes, situations do happen where teens are actually in love, but a very small amount. So when people tell me they "love" their boyfriend/girlfriend, I just nod and agree (even if I disagree). Because if it is love and not lust it is pretty obvious to see.
My parents are an example of real teen love, They have been together since they were 18 years old, married since they were 19, have had a 19 year old son and a 15 year old daughter, and they are still happy and in love.
I guess time will tell if the teens that say they are in love, really are.

Vaprice
08-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Some people think of Teen Love and smile. It's not real love, they say. Puppy Love, they call it. Those people, I think, have very short memories, and no longer recall the realities of their first love experiences. While few expect teen love to last a lifetime, that hardly makes it less real. Half or more of all adult love doesn't last a lifetime either.

Teen love is very real. And powerful. Perhaps at no other time in our lives are the joys and pains felt as strongly, or experienced more deeply. Who among us, after all, can ever forget our first love.........So do you remember your first love & do you believe at Teen love?

Teen love is only experimenting with your sexuality. It is merely trying to figure out how to go about things and whatnot. For finding your first girlfriend it is nothing but just trying to make your way into a more adult kind of relationship.

Teen love is not real, it can't be real, the only thing about teen love that is real is finding out what you want to do, like to do, and are planning in the future. Teen love is only powerful if it is induced that way, as a real love. You don't know what real love is at that age. The only love you have seen is from TV, Movies, magazones, etc....

No one may know what true love really is, everyone thinks back on it who is married and says is this person the one I want to spend the rest of my life with? To hold every single second devoted to them? To grow old with them? And to still have a loving relationship with them till I die?

People who spend their entire life looking for a true love may never find out what it is. Thouh the only things that we can say about love is everything you have seen from the movies, Tv, etc etc, etc... We only have ideas and theroies of what it feels like, what we want it to be like.

Don't get me wrong, I've had my girlfriends many times before and each time I wondered in awe as their beautiful faces if this was what a beginning love was. But what can one feel at a tender age? Other than being liked, and liking someone? Pain, betrayl, and anger leads to the ending relationships to most of teens. Still even if you try and keep in touch, it's still very awkward as you see another man/woman with the one you had a relationship with.

The only way you know what true love is, is when you have your own opinions of what it might be. Not someone else's. true love only exsists in what you think it is. Take the information from what you have seen, and done, and put it into a perspective of what it might be like. If you believe in finding the one true person in your life, it may never come, but if you don't do anything about it...then the chance will never arise....so you must think and plan ahead.

BackRoomKid
08-22-2005, 10:13 PM
"I FREAKIN' LOVE YOU VERONICA CORNINGSTONE!"

"I FREAKIN' LOVE YOU RON BURGENDY!"

-Anchorman

***if you're in love then you're in love...there's no right or wrong way to love***
-EDIT-
this world's idea of affection/love/and morals and so twisted, that above quote i just said is sadly abused, i say those words when it comes to a morally upstanding RELATIONSHIP of two people...not "other" things

i'd rather avoid the teen "bloom of youth" personally, but that's just me :)

Resha
08-22-2005, 10:14 PM

Yeah that's right but when a (teen) relationship keeps for years & have passed every test..........It is real love!I think so........

Yes, but how often does that happen? I guess teen love (while it isn't exactly the bestest 'love' in the world) is important because it matures into adult love, with experience and time.

ShunNakamura
08-22-2005, 10:17 PM
There is only one real problem with teen love. And that is the fact that teens so very often mistake other emotions as love. That does NOT mean that teen love is something laugh at, mock, belittle, or whatever.

I have a freind who has been dating the same girl all through Highschool and Jr. high.. well cept for one year where they decided it might be best to have some "away" time. Never found out why they wanted away time. But they got back together the next year(sometime over break if I recall) and have been close since. They have been making plans. They got it all the way up to marriage even.

They got plans to make it through college and the like. They are going to different colleges though. When asked why not try to go to the same college response was from both, "for him [blank]* is best, but I need to go to [blank2]* to do what I want, it is only two years, and we have plans to meetup now and then etc...".

You know my freind is planing to take a 2 hour drive every week or so that way he can see her. She also plans to drive down on occasion.

I can go on.. particually since they aren't the only couple with such plans... and some of the couples are different grades.. meaning one is already going to college and they have made it work like that for 1 year or 2 years depending on the couple(and they still havn't broke up).

However, to be fair I must also say I got plenty of examples where it is botched up and messed up. Particually for the girls that go for the ... err.. .bad boys ... here. Not the best describtion but it gets accross how they act at times. Then the girls end up getting pregent and dumped.. though amazing enough that doesn't happen too often. Sometimes the guy will even stay with the gal.

All I have to say is that just cause something is often mistaken and generally rare, doesn't mean it does not exist.

Ouch!
08-22-2005, 10:29 PM
I agree that teen love can mature into adult love, but in most cases I think that teens only think that they're in love. I have a hard time discussing the subject because I've never been in love, so I guess there's a point where other teens would tell me I just don't understand. What I do know is that I've seen my peers throw around the words "I love you," like it has no meaning whatsoever. That bothers me.

Teen love seems to blossom when they're caught up in the moment. This past winter I thought I was in love with someone. I've always been skeptical about love, though, so I wasn't about to say that I loved her. Still, I thought I did. Now, I look back on it and I realize I didn't feel anything towards her that was even remotely close to love. Sure, I cared about her a lot. I wanted to be with her in a more intimate fashion than the friendship we already shared, but it wasn't love.

Teenage Love exists on rare occasions. Mostly it's one of those situations where someone says "We'll be together forever!" and they end up breaking up a couple weeks later.

Shoeberto
08-23-2005, 12:06 AM
Emotions are greatly amplified as a teenager, for obvious reasons, making it difficult for relationships to hold any real meaning. It's possible, but unlikely.

Regarding Aeris 1's post, anime and manga isn't real life. TV isn't real life, movies aren't real life. It's a fabricated, scripted reality. You can't really compare the two.

BackRoomKid
08-23-2005, 12:23 AM
HORMONES HORMONES HORMONES

Princess_Yuna
08-23-2005, 09:48 AM
HORMONES HORMONES HORMONES
Not only hormones.................. :p

Dazed and Confused
08-23-2005, 09:53 AM
Yes, only hormones hahah!

But seriously....... I think Princess Yuna is trying to tell us she is in love

Princess_Yuna
08-23-2005, 09:59 AM
Yes I am!Is that bad?

Dazed and Confused
08-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Of course not. unless he's like 30 or something.... could get a bit dodge then........ but love is a good thing!

Princess_Yuna
08-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Yeah.....................................

Jess
08-23-2005, 10:08 AM
I............can't..............handle.......... the ...............excessive..................

Princess_Yuna
08-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Do you want help to handle it?Hehehe.......

Social Moon Firesky
08-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Teen love = Pain.

Madame Adequate
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
K, time for some anecdotal evidence. My girlfriend and I have been together for a couple of months shy of two years now. We're still very happy together, and I would presume she still loves me as I love her. Ok, neither of us are exactly archetypical teenagers, but I'm just trying to say there are exceptions and it's not all immediately doomed high-school lust and crushes.

Maybe we are doomed, I dunno, but given that we live on different continents and are, as far as most of our friends have told either of us, one of the strongest relationships they've ever seen, and have held together very happily for so long (Because let's be honest, 21 months is a long time for people not even 20 yet.), I'm reasonably confident in saying something, at least, is there.

I'm not so naive anymore to believe that anything like this will work without hard work and willing commitment. I'm not so naive to believe it's all fairy tales and happy-ever-afters. I am of the belief that the hard work and dedication we've both shown each other shows some good promise.

As for feeling love itself, well, maybe I'm not in love. I guess I won't know that until I feel whatever comes next after this feeling I have towards her. Until such time though, this is good enough for me, because I'm happy.

Nick :)
08-23-2005, 01:26 PM
There is never an age that is too young for love. Oh ok, so a four-year-old who says "I love my mummy", does that mean he's too young to have feelings? No it doesn't. It doesn't matter what age you are, love can be expierenced, but not explained. I'm 14 years of age myself, and I have recently broke up with my girlfriend and we really loved eachother. I'm not just saying it, I do. I still love her now, and I want her back big time. Every time we kissed, it sent my heart into fits and my stomach would fill up with millions of butterflies. I really do love her, but people say "You don't really, you're too young" Oh ok. So the day I turn 18, will I suddenly wake up and say "WHOA! I'm 18 now! I'm mature for love :D" No, that's not the case. No person can judge if you're in love or not except yourself.

I hope that explains alot,
Nick :).

FallenSilence
08-23-2005, 06:12 PM
Teen love = Pain.

Agreed.

GooeyToast
08-23-2005, 06:18 PM
Well, teens make love, which is very kinky.

Shlup
08-23-2005, 06:39 PM
Puppy Love, they call it. Those people, I think, have very short memories, and no longer recall the realities of their first love experiences.
Oh, perhaps, they've lived through it, grown up, and experienced a deeper level of love so they actually have a greater perspective of the subject.

Yeah, that seems pretty likely. I have a good memory.

Sasquatch
08-23-2005, 06:45 PM
There is never an age that is too young for love. Oh ok, so a four-year-old who says "I love my mummy", does that mean he's too young to have feelings? No it doesn't. It doesn't matter what age you are, love can be expierenced, but not explained. I'm 14 years of age myself, and I have recently broke up with my girlfriend and we really loved eachother. I'm not just saying it, I do. I still love her now, and I want her back big time. Every time we kissed, it sent my heart into fits and my stomach would fill up with millions of butterflies. I really do love her, but people say "You don't really, you're too young" Oh ok. So the day I turn 18, will I suddenly wake up and say "WHOA! I'm 18 now! I'm mature for love :D" No, that's not the case. No person can judge if you're in love or not except yourself.
I'm sure this is kind of cliche, but when you get older, you'll understand.

...We just get more mature and realize (hopefully) what real love is, and the differences between real love and what we though was real love when we were teenagers. There really aren't any "tests" for teen love, like there are for real love, and it's extremely unlikely that a teenage relationship will last more than a couple months, not to say years.

Teenagers tend to greatly exaggerate their emotions.

When you get older, you'll look back on the relationship you had when you were fourteen and laugh at yourself, thinking it was real love.

Shlup
08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
I could support what Sasquatch has said from the perspective of a cognitive psychologist but I'm in class right now... maybe later. Suffice to say that a fourteen-year-olds brain lacks the capability to process intimacy in the same way an adult does. Yeah, you can have very meaningful relationships, there's no doubt about it. The differences between teen and adult love are more qualitative than quantitative--which I think is why a lot of teenagers will argue that "no, I really am in love"-- but they're still big differences.

Sasquatch
08-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I could support what Sasquatch has said

Whoa. Really?

Shlup
08-23-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, yeah. You said it in a lamen way (which isn't meant to be an insult; I don't expect everyone to be able to be interested in psychology), but you aren't wrong. Teenagers tend to greatly exaggerate their emotions, and when we get older we usually look at our teenage "loves" with a chuckle.

But, to reitterate, the difference in those types of love is mostly, if not entirely, qualitative, not quantitative.

Sasquatch
08-23-2005, 10:16 PM
Well, yeah. You said it in a lamen way (which isn't meant to be an insult; I don't expect everyone to be able to be interested in psychology), but you aren't wrong. ... But, to reitterate, the difference in those types of love is mostly, if not entirely, qualitative, not quantitative.

True. But remember, you're talking to people who are young teenagers. I figured I'd try to explain it so everybody could understand.

Shlup
08-23-2005, 10:22 PM
I think you're underestimating teenagers if you think they wouldn't be able to understand more... "officially" language. To the contrary, I think that when you put it the way you put it, just because of their rebellious nature, they're going to just write you off as wrong. If you can give them a real explaination... they're probably still going to dismiss you as wrong because "omg i noes what i feel, stoopid grown up" but at least something's more likely to sink in.

Same thing with younger kids. Just give 'em some sort of legit explaination, and even if they don't really understand it they're likely to respond well.

Peegee
08-23-2005, 10:34 PM
I've had fifty girlfriends and every single time it was true love. I am the prototype teen.

Drift
08-23-2005, 10:39 PM
love? pft thats what i say PFT

08-24-2005, 02:32 AM
I think you're underestimating teenagers if you think they wouldn't be able to understand more... "officially" language. To the contrary, I think that when you put it the way you put it, just because of their rebellious nature, they're going to just write you off as wrong. If you can give them a real explaination... they're probably still going to dismiss you as wrong because "omg i noes what i feel, stoopid grown up" but at least something's more likely to sink in.

Same thing with younger kids. Just give 'em some sort of legit explaination, and even if they don't really understand it they're likely to respond well.
I agree with Shlup here. It really frusterates me when adults dont think I can understand something, so they tell me it like im stupid or even worse, tell me I wouldnt understand. I personally respect people more if they explain something to me in a very detailed and difficult way, and I can ask about what I dont understand. and its true, that teens feelings are greatly exagerated, but that doesnt mean they arent there.

Princess_Yuna
08-24-2005, 08:22 AM

I hope that explains alot,
Nick :).
I agree with Nick!

Dazed and Confused
08-24-2005, 08:39 AM
I think teenagers (especially younger ones) can definatley be in love, but should be careful about it if you know what I mean

Princess_Yuna
08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Oh yeah I know what you meaqn & you are right!

Mitch
08-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Love is great, but I'm enjoying not being in love right now thankyouverymuch

Nick :)
08-24-2005, 11:05 AM
Well thanks for agreeing with me. I just hate it when people claim they know what love is and teenager can't fall in love. Like I said, love cannot be explained. It is different for everyone. And teenagers can fall in love. Just as much as an adult does.

silverpigeon97
08-24-2005, 11:10 AM
Love is just cruel. Has anyone else ever experienced a problem where your gf for a while is pulling one of your mates and you see them? I actually got rugby tackled by someone else to make sure i woudnt do anything. Needless to say i will hammer the bastards teeth out with a steel toecapped boot. How has anyone lese dealt with stuff like this?

Princess_Yuna
08-24-2005, 03:18 PM
i don't know.....I would tell her to stop!Hehehehehe.........

Sasquatch
08-24-2005, 04:52 PM
I think we're at a stalemate here.

The older people here would say that young teenagers often mistake their feelings for love, exaggerate their emotions, etc. It's (with respect) the lack of maturity and experience that leads to such confusion.

The younger people here, on the other hand, believe they're perfectly capable of love -- just like the older people here believed when they were young -- and that nobody should tell them what they do and don't feel, or understand.

The logical reasoning to this would be that when the younger people get older (more maturity and experience), they may agree with how the older people are thinking.

Princess_Yuna
08-24-2005, 05:12 PM
I think that these people don't respect love!Love hasn't got age!

Shlup
08-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Well thanks for agreeing with me. I just hate it when people claim they know what love is and teenager can't fall in love. Like I said, love cannot be explained. It is different for everyone. And teenagers can fall in love. Just as much as an adult does.
Adults just confuse the fact that teenage love is love, just that, like I said, it's qualitatively (and probably at least a little quantitatively) different than adult love. Neither adults or teenagers seem willing to recognize the difference.
I think that these people don't respect love!Love hasn't got age!
Yeah, well, that just goes to show how fifteen you are.

ShunNakamura
08-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Part of the problem in this thread Shulp is I don't think they get exactly what you are saying(actually I think it went somewhat over my head) and just assume your are saying it isn't good or some such. or of lower quality blah.. blah.. blah. so you will have to explain more to get the attention box.

Kamiko
08-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Falling in love sounds painful, what if you trip? Or fall down a long flight of stairs on accident? Or, or...
Well nevermind. I think love can definately exist when you're a teenager. People used to get married when they were 13 so I don't see what the big deal is, it's all just a developed facade because some adults are idiots and got their hearts broken.

Del Murder
08-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Do any young people ever wonder why older people always say younger people don't know or understand love? It is just something you learn when you get older. Not to say that kids don't still have feelings, it is just that the ability to understand those feelings can only come with experience, and therefore time.

Aeris 1 Gainsborough
08-25-2005, 04:08 AM
I turn 18 soon and my boyfriend turns 18 in a few months. We are 17 and I think that our relationship is very special. He is my first boyfriend. When we turn 18 in a few months, we will still have the same feelings. Some people start dating at 11, but I am 17 and my boyfriend now is my first boyfriend. We met a few years ago and it took us awhile to get together. Now we are very happy. His best friend used to have a crush on me, so it took even more time to get together because of that, but we are very happy.
Things are great for us. I love anime and manga love stories where the couples are teenagers.
Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon, Fushigi Yuugi, Ayashi no Ceres are my favorites. I've been a fan for 10 years of anime/manga love stories. They have wonderful teen love stories. I've been a Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon fan since 1995. I love Tuxedo Mask. I always wanted a wonderful love like that. Now my boyfriend and I are 17. We are almost 18 and we are happy and in love. Love is very real for everyone.

nik0tine
08-25-2005, 04:11 AM
The older people here would say that young teenagers often mistake their feelings for love, exaggerate their emotions, etc. It's (with respect) the lack of maturity and experience that leads to such confusion.

The younger people here, on the other hand, believe they're perfectly capable of love -- just like the older people here believed when they were young -- and that nobody should tell them what they do and don't feel, or understand.

The logical reasoning to this would be that when the younger people get older (more maturity and experience), they may agree with how the older people are thinking. This, however, does not mean that the older people are right.

While it is true that alot of whiney teenagers mistake their feelings for love, that does not mean that all teenagers (or even a majority) 'can't love'. To make a statement like that is purely asanine. Now, I haven't been in this debate at all, so I'm a little out of touch with what has been said, so bear with me please.

Do any young people ever wonder why older people always say younger people don't know or understand love? It is just something you learn when you get older. Not to say that kids don't still have feelings, it is just that the ability to understand those feelings can only come with experience, and therefore time. You do not need to understand a feeling for it to be there. I'll agree that alot of young people don't understand love, but that doesn't mean that they don't, or can't, love.

DMKA
08-25-2005, 05:06 AM
I never experienced such a thing, but I think the people who automatically say you can't be in love based on your age are just as silly as the teenagers who call themselves lovers after Taco Bell and a movie one Saturday night.

nik0tine
08-25-2005, 05:45 AM
I never experienced such a thing, but I think the people who automatically say you can't be in love based on your age are just as silly as the teenagers who call themselves lovers after Taco Bell and a movie one Saturday night.

Sasquatch
08-25-2005, 07:10 AM
Don't try to put words in my mouth and then insult me for them. I never once said that young people are incapable of feeling romatic love. I just pointed out that most teenage "love" is all too often simply an exaggeration of infatuation, nothing more. Of course, there are exceptions.

Jojee
08-25-2005, 07:12 AM
Who really understands love, anyway?

People who try to say that their love is better than others' irk me. I have the same capacity to feel now as I did when I was twelve. I'm sure that the average adult relationship lasts about as long as the average teenage relationship, excluding marriage. :) Oh yes, many teenage relationships are simply based off of infatuation, but how many adult relationships aren't, either? ^_^

Princess_Yuna
08-25-2005, 09:59 AM
All the teenage relationships aren't based off of infatuation.. I think this has to do with the character of a person......with what he want from a relationship & how he\she want to be.............

Zanius
08-25-2005, 10:08 AM

Yeah, that kind of things happened to me. I met a real special person. It was with her that everything happened: my first kiss, the first time that I had sex and my first true love. But unfortunately she's gone and she'll never come back. It was a teen love, but I believe that was more powerful than any adult love. But, now all this belongs to the past...

Princess_Yuna
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Ooooh that's bad you loved her....but when you say she's gone & she'll naver come back????What do you mean?????

Zanius
08-25-2005, 10:15 AM
Ooooh that's bad you loved her....but when you say she's gone & she'll naver come back????What do you mean?????

Yeah, loved her with all my life. She died by a car accident. It's going to make 2 years on December now.

ShunNakamura
08-25-2005, 01:03 PM
That must hurt indeed. Sorry to hear that.

As for the argument at hand. Can we agree on this-
"Teen love whilst being able to exist is often times overexagerated by the teens involved. However, that does not make it any less possible for it to happen, just more likely for it to be thought to be there when it isn't." ?

If not it looks like we will go back to arguing extremes.

Zanius
08-25-2005, 01:24 PM
That must hurt indeed. Sorry to hear that.

No problem, time heals all wounds...

Madame Adequate
08-26-2005, 05:37 AM
I'm glad this thread has come to something of an understanding. I can see where teenagers come from (Heh, I still am one, I probably don't have the right to discount myself however much I desire to.) when they take exception to being told their feelings are not 'right', as I suspect it would essentially be interpreted. Just like anyone else would hate being told that, but for a teenager it's often even worse because the sole reason, in their eyes, is older people thinking they know better (Whether or not they do is moot, the teenager's perspective is all that matters to them.).

I do think there are a lot of fake teen loves. I don't think there's any malevolence in it, I just think it's easier to claim that commitment when you don't know what it means and when it hasn't hurt you. The more that happens, the more jaded and slower to trust you'll become. It's an easy leap from there to consider your own feelings the most experienced and thus legitimate. But at the same time, there are genuine examples of teenage love. I've been one before, I got hurt badly, and now I'm one again, if you want to count 19 as teenage. My girl is two years younger than me and, without heaping too much praise of her maturity onto EoFF, I feel she has a similar capacity for love as I do. The thing is, making generalized if not blanket statements about teenagers in love will hastily be taken as an offensive statement by anyone who sees themselves as having been placed in that group.

Finally, as a point of interest, where do people believe there's an 'age', if you want to quantify it that way, when love will be more likely to be genuine than infatuation or fake? I mean, there's obviously a big difference between a 13/14 year old and a 17/18 year old. For my part, I'm not sure most adults know what love is anyway (And I have no guarantee I do either; it's merely the most powerful feeling I've experienced yet.), and I just try to judge based on individuals. Don't know that I always succeed, but I try.

Sasquatch
08-26-2005, 06:36 AM
All the teenage relationships aren't based off of infatuation.. I think this has to do with the character of a person......with what he want from a relationship & how he\she want to be.............

Good point, but it doesn't help your argument. How many teenagers are looking for a serious, long-term relationship? Sure, there are some out there that are interested in a serious "romance" (I was one of them, damn that didn't work), but most are in it because they get to make out, or they get a ride around, or they get to look cool with their boyfriend/girlfriend. Or maybe just that they get somebody to pass secret notes to, or to call every night, or to talk sweet to, or whatever. Very rarely is a teenager interested in a long-term, serious relationship with somebody. Very rarely do teenagers look into morals, future, responsibility, etc. when they pursue a relationship. Now, of course not all adults do either, but everybody's got to admit that an adult relationship that both partners believe involves love is much more serious than the average teenage romance where both people say "I luv yoo" just because they like the sound of it.

Ageless_Bum
08-27-2005, 12:48 AM
It could be stated that the initial feeling of "love" that a teenager can feel in their first relationship may be solely due to the first time someone other than family has shown them affection. I can tell you that all the relationships (save maybe 2) that i new of my friends in highschool didnt last. Also that the majority of adults say that a teen cant understand love because of the stark lack of experiences.

It could also be said that An adult has been hardened by the same painful experiences that they say give them the idea of love better then a teen. With age comes experience and Wisodm, but it also brings predjudices. This cant be denied. Im an Adult. I should be on the side of the teens dont fully know love, and truthfully part of me believes that. I have given my heart to 3 Girls in my life ranging in time from 5th grade to now (im 23). By gave my heart i meant had feelings for them. 2 I told and 1 was a secret crush. One now that I like is different from the ones when i was younger. My experiences have changed how I view what it can be, but I must admit that the two younger ones were just as real to me at the time. And, that at the best of my understanding at the time, It was something real.

In the end, like I said, experience is why adults say teens dont understand. Experiences shape our views of a subject. But experience is a double edged sword.

Mitch
08-27-2005, 11:11 AM
I love David Hasselhoff. Is that wrong?

Tai-Ti
08-27-2005, 12:05 PM
it depends on ur gender, sexuality and what u mean by "love"

I for one am not very open to "love" and have just been brought up that way, tis very depressing. I think one reason is cause i dont wanna turn out like on of my friends, hu was too open for love and pritty much gave herself away, and due to her bad relationships, has recently been getting mixed up in bad groups. Just gose to show that teen love can subject you to pains branching from just heart break.

Miriamel
08-27-2005, 01:56 PM

If you need to "pass tests" to find out whether you're in love, it's a rather clear sign that you indeed aren't. :3

Having said that, you can find love at any age. Teenagers however want to test their abilities/limits/etc, and are hence more likely to jump around from person to person. Also, lack of experience often makes you believe you're in love, and later on you'll find out it was just infatuation, because you met someone that's just so much more.

It's rare, but possible. It doesn't matter, though. If you think you're in love, no matter if you actually are or not, you shouldn't let anyone tell you that you aren't. If you indeed aren't, you'll find out soon enough and can chalk one up on your experience board.

DMKA
08-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Don't try to put words in my mouth and then insult me for them. I never once said that young people are incapable of feeling romatic love. I just pointed out that most teenage "love" is all too often simply an exaggeration of infatuation, nothing more. Of course, there are exceptions.
Who are you talking to? o__O

silverpigeon97
08-27-2005, 05:38 PM

That should not be dignified with a response but i have to ask, are you German?

ThroneofDravaris
08-27-2005, 06:40 PM
Meh, who cares? Teenagers aren’t people...

DMKA
08-28-2005, 04:27 AM
Meh, who cares? Teenagers aren’t people...
You sound like you lack self esteem, saying things like that about yourself.

ThroneofDravaris
08-28-2005, 04:36 AM
No, I’m just a sucker for irony

nik0tine
08-28-2005, 04:46 AM
but most are in it because they get to make out, or they get a ride around, or they get to look cool with their boyfriend/girlfriend. Or maybe just that they get somebody to pass secret notes to, or to call every night, or to talk sweet to, or whatever. You overexagerate the juvenility (is that even a word?) of teenage relationships. Although 'teen love' is often exagerated, no teenage relationship is that simple. I've never known anybody who would date someone simply for the 'image' or for anything that juvenile. Often times the relationships are pretty baseless, but the way you choose to word your sentances is purely overexageration.

Also that the majority of adults say that a teen cant understand love because of the stark lack of experiences. Love is an emotion. It is no more complex than that. To say that a teen can't understand love due to lack of experiance is laughable because an emotion doesn't get more sophisticated with experiance. If you are sad one day, and then another day you get sad again, your sadness doesn't somehow get more complex. Emotion is not something you get 'better' at.

In the end, like I said, experience is why adults say teens dont understand. Experiences shape our views of a subject. But experience is a double edged sword. Just because they say this doesn't make it true. (I know you realize that, but I must comment anyway) You must realize that most people are stupid, regardless whether or not they are children or adults. Most adults can't handle thinking about things like this, which is pathetic becayse this is not even complex.

Mitch
08-28-2005, 10:23 AM

That should not be dignified with a response but i have to ask, are you German?

No I'm from New Zealand. Don't get me wrong, I love my girlfriend too

Cless
08-28-2005, 11:05 AM
Why should a teenage couple claiming to be in love, be taken less seriously than a couple in their 30's claiming the same thing? Is it because older people think they've been there and done that, and looking back on it now, consider none of their teenages romances love? Is it because most teenage relationships don't last? Until you can see out of someone else's eyes, and can find a way of quantifying love, it's foolish to claim that someone is not in love when they're sure they are. Not to mention downright insulting to the person.

We have no way of knowing exactly how another human being feels inside. We only feel what we feel. When I was 13 years old, I was in love. Laugh at that all you will, but it was as real as the hot tears streaming down my face when we broke up. That was five years ago, but I know what I felt.

"Teenage love" is just as valid as "grown-up love". Love is love.

Ageless_Bum
08-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Love is an emotion. It is no more complex than that. To say that a teen can't understand love due to lack of experiance is laughable because an emotion doesn't get more sophisticated with experiance. If you are sad one day, and then another day you get sad again, your sadness doesn't somehow get more complex. Emotion is not something you get 'better' at.

I realise your putting this up to make a point, and understand i dont make this post to attack what you have said, but I disagree. Emotion (or the understanding there of) does grow over time. Yes one day you can feel sad about, lets say, getting turned down when asking for a date. Everytime it happens that saddness wont neccessarily be worse than the last one. But, lets say you have a girlfriend/boyfriend that you have been with for a quite a while. To suddenly learn they were cheating on you would be a profoundly different and stronger saddness. Its still sadness its true, but it gives you more perspective on how "painless" the prior problem was in relation. In turn a worse situation, lates say Loosing the one you love permenantly (IE their death after many happy years), would be compoundedly more profound then a cheating situation or a breakup. Still its sadness, but its "worse" in many ways and as such gives you more perspective. Emotions do grow over time. Its my belief that an adults perspective, having faced more of these situation, will be shaped and possibly prejudiced (im being fair here) by having a broader experience in the subject. This is the point I was trying to make.

Crop
08-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Love is an emotion.

Yeah its an emotion but its a really powerful emotion thats why people think its much more.

Sasquatch
08-28-2005, 08:44 PM
Who are you talking to? o__O
Not you. You made a post for that?

You overexagerate the juvenility (is that even a word?) of teenage relationships. Although 'teen love' is often exagerated, no teenage relationship is that simple. I've never known anybody who would date someone simply for the 'image' or for anything that juvenile. Often times the relationships are pretty baseless, but the way you choose to word your sentances is purely overexageration.

You "overexagerate" my "overexageration". If you've never seen a relationship -- called "love" -- that wasn't based on popularity, or convenience, or flattery, or anything that juvenile, then you haven't been around many middle schools and high schools. While I never said that all teenage relationships are like this (though that's what you try to make it sound like I'm saying), most are.

As for experience in emotion, nobody said you get "better" at emotions, either. But I know and understand much more about love than I did when I was thirteen. Why? Maturity and experience. I've realized that the "love" I thought I was in while I was a young teenager was nowhere near the "love" I've been in more recently. As most adults would say that their teenage relationships were nowhere near as serious, emotionally, as their more recent ones.

Love is much more complex than some believe it to be. Those that believe it's simple, haven't had much experience with it.

Sephex
08-29-2005, 04:17 AM
Teens usually misuse the word love. When I was in High School, everyone claimed to love eachother. It was like, 95% of the relationship that went on in High School, the couple said they loved eachother right from the start, even though they didn't know a thing about eachother other than that they like to kiss viciously in the middle of the damn cafeteria while grossing everyone out. I have seen very few teen relationships that had real meaning to it--and most of those couples are still together today, to my knowledge.

fantasyjunkie
08-29-2005, 07:05 AM
Hi! I'm just curious, my daughter is almost 12, how much longer do I have till I have to deal with Teen Love and what's the best way to deal with it? I can't just keep her home 100% and not let her have any friends, thats just cruel. What do you guys and gals suggest?

Drift
08-29-2005, 10:29 AM
let her learn by herself

Sasquatch
08-29-2005, 06:56 PM
True. Everybody's got to have their own experiences. You can (and should) offer advice, help guide her through it, etc., but in the end she's got to make the "decisions".

Ageless_Bum
08-29-2005, 08:54 PM
I think the best thing you can do, is talk with her (as an equal, not mother daughter) about how you feel about relationships. where you think it should go and how far. IF you seem too over controlling she could rebel. If you seem too aloof she may think she has free reign to do everything. Just put out there what you expect and let it be her decision.

fantasyjunkie
08-30-2005, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the info! :)

Princess_Yuna
08-30-2005, 09:18 AM

Yeah, loved her with all my life. She died by a car accident. It's going to make 2 years on December now.
Oooh that's bad........ :( :cry: