PDA

View Full Version : FF IV for PS - Sounds aweful

karatehero
08-22-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm playing FF IV (the one with Cecil) for the PS. I also have the original version for the SNES.

Is it just me or is the sound for the PS version terrible? Its the sound effects that get me. It sounds like someone recorded them with tape recorder from the SNES version and tried to make the digital.

It can't be my setup. I have a fiber connection for my sound to my tuner. I also have the game set to stereo.

Any thoughts?

boys from the dwarf
08-22-2005, 04:45 PM
ive only played the PS1 version and it sounds fine to me.

karatehero
08-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Hmm, whats a good example? How about when you get into a battle. It sounds like you are in a box! I remember getting swallowed by Leviathan. The music sounded awesome, but the sound effects of the water were all fuzzy.

I didn't know if that fiber cable could actually be screwing me up.

Dreddz
08-22-2005, 06:30 PM
ive only played the PS1 version and it sounds fine to me.

Teek
08-22-2005, 06:59 PM
No, the sound quality sucks in all of the ports of the SNES-era Final Fantasy games. The problem you're complaining about is also in Final Fantasy V and VI. Though, admittedly, I didn't notice the problem with V because I had never played the SFC version. Of course, once I had (a friend imported it) I couldn't imagine attempting to play the PSX version again.

I haven't. Not for any of those games.

DJZen
08-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Yes, the PCM audio was downsampled for some reason. I have no clue what that reason is. Generally speaking, when moving to a higher capacity format, you have no reason to downsample audio files. They also did this in Chrono Trigger, btw.

KoShiatar
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
It really sounds bad. Duh.

Dignified Pauper
08-22-2005, 10:12 PM
I thought FFVI has an improved sound quality, and I didn't notice anything different about FFIV.

Rengori
08-22-2005, 10:38 PM
Thank god this isn't about 5 second load times. If you're that impatient, you should shoot your self now since there's a huge chuck of life where you'll wait for little things for more than 5 seconds.

DJZen
08-22-2005, 11:09 PM
No, this isn't about load times at all, it's about the painfully downsampled sound effects in FFIV.