PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Garnet/Dagger name

Aeris 1 Gainsborough
08-22-2005, 07:22 PM
As you know, Garnet/Dagger/Garnet is my favorite character and I was wondering which of her three names was your favorite? I like all of Garnet's names. Garnet is a great name and Dagger is a great name. I always liked Garnet, it sounded very nice and elegant. I liked Dagger a lot, it always had a very good sound to it. It symbolized a change. I liked her real name too. I was wondering which name was your favorite? I like all of Garnet/Dagger's names, so they're equally my favorite. I'd like to hear your opinions.

Armisael
08-22-2005, 08:00 PM
Garnet! It sounds really nice! ^_^ --not that Dagger and Sarah sound bad of course--

TheSpoonyBard
08-22-2005, 08:15 PM
I prefer Garnet. Can someone please confirm for me if her real name is Sarah or Sara? I've heard both being used. I do hope its not an Aeris/Aerith scenario.

eestlinc
08-22-2005, 08:43 PM
It's Sara as far as I know, but it's translated from Japanese, so I don't see how one can be seen as more accurate than the other.

I always name her Garnet rather than Dagger.

G SpOtZ
08-22-2005, 09:29 PM
i don't like dagger. or sara. sara is too plain and common, and dagger is just akward lol. dagger sounds like a guys name almost. ima have to go with garnet.

marc
08-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Dagger is just the most random name that could pop up and it did, what does it translate 2 in japonese?

MAS82587
08-23-2005, 12:38 AM
i liked garnet a lot.

Chris
08-23-2005, 12:45 AM
Garnet is good, but "Dagger" is just plain stupud. Horrible morons, Square that is for giving her that name... ALTHOUGH!

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-23-2005, 01:44 AM
I named her Cat. It suited her persona perfectly I thought, well when she changed at least.

I though Dagger was a really bad name as well.

kikimm
08-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Garnet is a really nice name, Dagger is just moronic, and Sara/h....she doesn't look like a Sarah. Plus it's weird having a "regular" name in a fantasy world where everyone else has made-up names.

DJZen
08-23-2005, 03:04 AM
I liked the name Sara, it was a nice homage to the origins of the series.

Mercen-X
08-23-2005, 03:49 AM
I'd suppose that Garnet's view of the dagger was that it embodied her wish to be or become inconspicuous out in the world. Mostly, to me it makes her sound like a gang member and she doesn't look the part. Thus, the term is inappropriate.

Still, I prefer Dagger to Garnet.
Garnet just sounds like "Darn it."

"Return my Dagger to me!"

Karl
08-23-2005, 04:42 AM
Garnet is a really nice name, Daggr is just moronic, and Sara/h....she doesn't look like a Sarah. Plus it's weird having a "regular" name in a fantasy world where everyone else has made-up names.
dont mean to be a jerk but just because they dont sound like everyday names doesnt mean they are made up

i prefer garnet, but i dont feel that any fit too well

Masamune·1600
08-23-2005, 05:11 AM
Garnet's real name, as it appears in the game, is Sarah (with the h). eest brings up an important point, though; in matters like these, only phonetics are important. Sara and Sarah are pronounced the same, and various FF games have altered spellings while retaining pronunciation (Boko vs. Boco, Gaia vs. Gaea, and so forth).

As far as the topic goes, I've always liked the name Garnet. Sarah, in recalling princesses from FFI and FFIII, does do a good job of referencing previous FF titles, though.

Slade
08-23-2005, 08:00 AM
Garnet is a nice name. I dont really like Dagger much and Sara is kind of boring. But not as boring as if it were Sarah. (No offence to all those Sarahs out there. I still love ya)

Yuffie514
08-23-2005, 08:13 AM
Garnet is a better name than Sarah or Dagger. it sounds better than "Princess Dagger" or "Princess Sarah". Sarah's more fit for like a blonde girl.

EDIT: of course i knew that Mercen-X. still, jus imagine how horrible those two would sound if they were her initial names.

Mercen-X
08-23-2005, 08:39 AM
She was never meant to be called "Princess Sarah," she wasn't a princess of summoners.
She'd never be called "Princess Dagger," either. Dagger's just an alias. Get real.

FallenSilence
08-23-2005, 09:28 AM
Garnet, of those names, but I named her something totally different.

Chris
08-23-2005, 08:03 PM
I just thought of something funny!

Zidane: "Hey wanna go out on a date?"

Girl: "Hmm... NO!"

Zidane: *Daggers*

Hahahahahahahahahahaha... ?

:(

Mihhailovitš
08-23-2005, 10:48 PM
Garnet is okay but I always named her "hooker".

TurkSlayer
08-24-2005, 02:20 AM
I've never called her Dagger. Or Garnet. Or Sarah, for that matter. I usually just choose something random, like Fork, or Sword, and I thnk I named her Chair once.

Wiegrahf42
08-24-2005, 03:34 AM
The irony is that I actually named her "Sarah" after a friend of mine, had no idea it was her real name.

Rinoa_Heartillly
09-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Dagger, it actually gives her some spunk to her dull character.

Raven Nox
09-10-2005, 06:04 AM
I hate that everyone is saying Sarah is a boring name. It sucks reading that everyone hates my own name and that it sounds like a blonde girls name (I'm NOT blonde damnnit! >.<)

But actually, I kinda like Garnet a little better. It has always bugged me there were so many Sarah's anyway. XD I like my name, but Garnet is just prettier. =/ Dagger was a random name, but it's not really a bad one once you get used to it.

Rhi
09-16-2005, 06:47 PM
where does Sara/Sarah come from? ive never heard THAT before

TheSpoonyBard
09-16-2005, 08:50 PM
You are told this when you complete a sidequest involving Garnet, Eiko and the Eidolon Wall in Madain Sari. I've never done it so I cannot give any more details, but I know the only result is finding Garnet's true name.

Hellza
09-19-2005, 01:08 AM
I named her Martina after my gf at the time.. xD dagger i just thought.. wtf... was it supose to be dagger liek the knife? if so thats fucked up... and if it was dah-jer then thats also bad.

G SpOtZ
09-19-2005, 04:17 AM
i named her tifa once but her boobs didn't live up to the name.

Masamune·1600
09-19-2005, 05:56 AM
where does Sara/Sarah come from? ive never heard THAT before

As ForestOwl suggested, the information appears on the Eidolon Wall. On Disc 4, one can return to Madain Sari. Once there, talk to Lani with Garnet in the party. After this, leave Madain Sari. Return with a group that does not include Garnet or Amarant, and speak with Lani twice. At this point, head to the Eidolon Wall. Move clockwise until a chime is heard, counterclockwise until another chime is heard, clockwise again, and so on. Eventually your HP/MP will be restored. You can then read a variety of messages regarding Eidolons; after viewing all of them, a message concerning Garnet becomes available.

I survived the storm.
I wonder if you two are okay?

I see the two of you smile
every time I close my eyes.

I imagine I see you
when I open my eyes.

I have a mortal wound.
I won't be able to wait
for you very long.

I regret being so unemotional
for all these years.

I'm writing down everything here
in the hope that you'll read it someday.

To my dearest wife, Jane,
Although we fought many times,
and I may not have shown my affection
enough, I love you very much.

To my beloved daughter, Sarah,
My life changed when you were born.
You made me happy.
These are the things I want you to know.

It's also notable that Sarah's mother is named Jane, which is a clear reference to the original Final Fantasy.

Peter_20
09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Garnet is a really nice name, Dagger is just moronic, and Sara/h....she doesn't look like a Sarah. Plus it's weird having a "regular" name in a fantasy world where everyone else has made-up names.
Actually, I think Zidane, Vivi and Steiner are pretty IRL-ish names.

I like Garnet the most, though.
It has a better ring to it than Dagger (meh) and Sarah (meh).

DocFrance
09-20-2005, 05:30 AM
If I had enough character spaces, I'd name her "Stupid Whore Who Becomes Completely Useless In The Third Disc."

RaidenWeb17
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I never used her after the second disk anyways. Or at least in my last file i didnt. She is only mute for a little before the Desert Palace and a little after. I always used Steiner and Vivi then.

Mirage
09-28-2005, 09:41 PM
I always name her Garnet rather than Dagger.
So do I, except the first time.

Ceil
09-28-2005, 10:26 PM
If I had enough character spaces, I'd name her "Stupid Whore Who Becomes Completely Useless In The Third Disc."

lmfao Yeah, that pissed me off the first time I played :p

Anyway, I like 'Dagger', for the 'spunk' reason someone mentioned above.

Dreddz
09-28-2005, 10:39 PM
I call her Dagger....

DarkLadyNyara
09-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Well, how about shortening it to just "stupid whore"?

GooeyToast
09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
Marle for some reason

Daryl
09-30-2005, 02:01 AM
I thought Dagger suited her more than Garnet. But then, I prefer to choose people what they wish to be called, and Garnet did choose the name of Dagger to represent herself.