PDA

View Full Version : C++

Cruise Control
08-23-2005, 02:13 PM
What do you think.

This is my favorite means of proggraming, to bat it requires a compiler. I like the interaction it allows between user and computer.

The only thing I don't like is that I always forget those damn semicolons.

boris no no
08-23-2005, 02:29 PM
i don't doooooooooooooooooooooooo programming ^__^

crazybayman
08-23-2005, 02:32 PM
*shudders*

Necronopticous
08-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Oh, no.

Peegee
08-23-2005, 03:02 PM
I did pretty well up until the last assignment, then I was confused to hell.

Something about object oriented programming confuses me.

edczxcvbnm
08-23-2005, 03:17 PM
I don't really like it as I love to do sloppy programming...so I use VB.net. It lets you get away with murder in there.

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 03:26 PM
it's been a while

Faris
08-23-2005, 03:45 PM
*has no idea what C++ is*
All I know, is that if I get a C+ on a test, it's not good.

Endless
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
<pre>#include &lt;iostream.h>
int main()
{
cout &lt;&lt; "I'm not too fond of it.\n";
return -1;
}</pre>

-N-
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
C++ is a great OOP language. I only wish I was as proficient in GUI as I am in algorithmic coding. :up:

Shoeberto
08-23-2005, 06:08 PM
C++ has the best structuring and most power of any other languages I've used.

I can't do anything worthwhile with it, though.

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 07:31 PM
isn't java basically C++ optimized for web?

krissy
08-23-2005, 07:34 PM
java's easy cuz api
havent had the quality time with c anything yet

Yamaneko
08-23-2005, 07:37 PM
It's a powerful language. It's not as popular as it used to be.

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 07:38 PM
because people are lazy!!!

Sepho
08-23-2005, 07:39 PM
The syntax is probably intimidating for those who choose to learn it as their first language. But it <i>is</i> powerful.

I was really dedicating myself to learning (more) C++ this summer, but web programming and coding in PHP specifically is, like, way more fun, and ended up taking all of my time.

bipper
08-23-2005, 07:40 PM
isn't java basically C++ optimized for web?

You can almost say that Java is like what Visual Basic did to QBasic - only using C as a means. Java started out as a cool concept, but is just going downhill imo. Its like Sun wants to use Java to become the next microsoft... but Solaris is about as powered as old... old cheese. The Java ME platform is still great - oh i love it. Cellphone games pwn all!

Pretty much C++ is the best programming language ever. Hands down - no ifs ands or buts! HAHA! The only one which compares is C which is more standardized and holds a few mystical powers of its derivatives. All in all, C++ > anything else.

Oh and VB sucks - along with Microsoft language... c#, j++ etc

Bipper

Yamaneko
08-23-2005, 07:44 PM
We have to wait for Unne to give his dissertation on Perl first.

bipper
08-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Perl... lol.
To use that great saying from dodgeball; "Pearl is about as useful as a poopie flavored lolipop" lol

now I know it has its uses, but ugh.. I hate it

Bipper

krissy
08-23-2005, 08:00 PM
perl is good for text manipulation but yeah i can't see playing a platformer made in perl ever

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 08:06 PM
I was really dedicating myself to learning (more) C++ this summer, but web programming and coding in PHP specifically is, like, way more fun, and ended up taking all of my time.
But PHP blows. Or so I hear.

I remember when I learned Pascal back in the day. I should teach myself C++.

Flying Mullet
08-23-2005, 08:10 PM
C++ is okay but I prefer working with Java.

Drift
08-23-2005, 08:15 PM
I'm trying to learn C. trying to learn

Sepho
08-23-2005, 08:21 PM

What were the reasons given to you? As far as I'm concerned, PHP is the language to know for web programmers if they only wish to know one. It was designed specifically for use in parsing with HTML documents for making dynamic web pages, so while it can be used in other applications, it's use is limited, depending on how you define limited.

Mr. Graves
08-23-2005, 08:46 PM
C++ isn't bad. I'm trying to learn it right now, and it's certainly seemed more user-efficent than Visual Basic. I'll be taking acourse on this in a few weeks. It should be fun. Maybe.

bipper
08-23-2005, 08:52 PM

I remember when I learned Pascal back in the day. I should teach myself C++.

Php is easily the greatest Server Side programming language to grace the web. Its extremley easy, and extremly stable. I know JSP, ASP.net, and PHP - the three major backends, and I prefer PHP's power and usablilty over the other two any day of the week. On top of all that, it is a ton easier to use. Open source, tons of packages, and its.. just sexy as hell. Pluz with the Zend engine - you can make it do soooooo much. And did i say it is sexy? Also since it has such a large population of developers promoting its use, when you need some help, or a library for a certain task, or even when choosing a database you can find a nearly unlimited score of resources on the net. For free!

visit bloodshed.net (http://www.bloodshed.net) for a free windows gui for compiling c\C++ programs - on top of it all they also chave a pascal compiler :)

perl is good for text manipulation but yeah i can't see playing a platformer made in perl eve
Anything you can do wilth pearl you can do with most modern backends, without the limitations.

If you like C++, and have an extra HDD or computer; I would suggest getting to know the GNU compilers. They are even sexyier than PHP.

bipper

Drift
08-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Do you know C. teach me C please!

Odaisé Gaelach
08-23-2005, 09:03 PM
My programming skills go as far as QBASIC.

Shoeberto
08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
Do you know C. teach me C please!
Don't bother with C. Go with C++.

And there's plenty of good programming tutorials online. Just download Dev-C++ (the link that bipper posted) and have at it.

edczxcvbnm
08-23-2005, 09:06 PM
because people are lazy!!!

Yes we are.

I have used plenty of C++ but I am not a real big coder anymore and stupid stuff like VB gets my by all the time with what ever the hell I need to do...and do it fast without me needing to remember a whole lot of anything. VB = programming for lazy people...and I am very lazy :D

I am using Perl right now though and it is okay. I am using it for strictly file and string manipulation...so the previous statement stands true in my eyes :d

C++ as everyone has said is probably the still the best out there as it is so powerful and lets you do a whole lot of anything you damn well please and still manage to be efficent. My thing is that computers are so fast now and days that it really doesn't matter that much for effiency any more unless you are writing a 5 million line program...which I don't.

I forgot where I was going with this...probably something like use what you want depending on the situation. What I have learned is that no matter where you go there will always be people who say x sucks because y is better. It is all just a preference.

bipper
08-23-2005, 09:22 PM
A lot of it has to do with portablilty as well.

VB files are large, even though windows holds a million libraries for integrated on thier OS. (With this, i basically call it advanced scripting for windows. Nice to see .net brougt it up too oop level ... finally :mad: ) I still Like c/c++ because of its portablilty and power. I do a fair amount of OpenGL programmin and I find C to be a far better asset.

Also if your going to start learning a language I would reccomend C as it is a lot more basic (structure wise mind you) and has more of an influence on other languages pearl, php, etc than you will find with basic. C++ is fine and all but i think printf(); makes it easier to grasp the basic ideals of programming vs cout :) (I know you can still use printf on standard c++, but what tutorials out there do that? Dont answer... it was rhetorical lol)

Bipper

NeoTifa
08-24-2005, 12:12 AM
the only programming language i know is basic. i learned that when i was only 8. (but i forgot half of it >.>) i anticipate my learning C++. i cant wait. right now i have no time.

Dr Unne
08-24-2005, 01:41 AM
Well, you asked for it.

perl -le 'print q^=uu~-+=5-^^q=^^^^^^^^^='

Kilrane
08-24-2005, 01:55 AM
i like C++ but enjoy working with java. graphics are much easier imo with java than with C++

Sepho
08-24-2005, 01:55 AM
Well, you asked for it.

perl -le 'print q^=uu~-+=5-^^q=^^^^^^^^^='

It blinds us >_<

Dr Unne
08-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Did you try to run it though?

edczxcvbnm
08-24-2005, 03:39 AM
i like C++ but enjoy working with java. graphics are much easier imo with java than with C++

While I agree to an extent, my problem is that I find java to be more of a memory hog. Maybe it is just me though.

Endless
08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
<pre> perl -le 'print q^.;,2~-+=5-~*11^^q=^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=' </pre>

Mindflare
08-24-2005, 08:13 AM
I like C++, but fortunately (or unfortunately?) enough for me, I stopped paying attention to major programming languages some time ago. I'll stick to random markup languages. I'm pretty intent on learning PHP as well, but who knows if that'll actually happen any time soon.

In the end, I'm not patient enough to worry about programming. Sad.

Flying Mullet
08-24-2005, 01:48 PM

While I agree to an extent, my problem is that I find java to be more of a memory hog. Maybe it is just me though.
Depends upon how you use it. If you're good with your garbage collection then C++ will be more efficient. But if you're lazy and don't do any garbage collection your code can get really messy really quick. One down side of Java that I've found is that it doesn't always handle garbage collection as auto-magically as the Java lovers boast.

bipper
08-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Java is horrid, save for ME. I honestly dislike everything about the language. And garbage collection is for the most part a joke... try, catch, fumble

Graphics come easier in C++ when you really get into it. You can do a lot more, and using a lot less resources. Java makes the basics easy, but on the same hand eats up your resources faster than the bug you cought from that lats pron site you visited. Again, here with C++ its all about the libraries you use :) DirectX and OpenGl are easy to learn, and will give you a ton of tools to use. Lingo is pretty sweet as well! But a little more advanced.

Bipper

edczxcvbnm
08-24-2005, 06:21 PM
That would explain why I always though Java was more of a memory hog. I was pretty good about garbage collecting for the most part so I know it got cleared out. I new Java had auto-garbage collect but I didn't think it was super iffy. I will take your word on it that it isn't all its cracked up to be...because it fits what I see :shifty:

Dr Unne
08-24-2005, 11:20 PM
<pre> perl -le 'print q^.;,2~-+=5-~*11^^q=^^^^^^^^^^^^^^=' </pre>

:(

Yamaneko
08-24-2005, 11:40 PM
:(

:confused:

Endless
08-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Run both Unne and my line and you will see the light.

krissy
08-25-2005, 07:59 AM
my other job is a System.gc();

bipper
08-25-2005, 01:46 PM
Forcing GC eh? It's not weather ti is called, its how much it actually cleans. To be quite honest I have not used much java since 1.4 (I avoid it honestley. Cept for ME) Garbage collection was a problem, but one of the smaller probs with the language.

lol @ teh pearl :p :p

Bipper

krissy
08-25-2005, 05:59 PM
when it's called it's only a 'suggestion' to the jvm, it doesn't actually have to happen
which is why you sometime see code with 5 lines that consist of entirely system.gc(); repeating some 14 times

bipper
08-25-2005, 07:19 PM
System.gc() does not enforce a garbage collection, it only notifies the VM that one has been requested. This can cause an early GC but not necessarily cause one to happen immediately. This makes your code slower and even more of a processing hog that what java already is.

On top of that the securitey sucks, as you have minimal control over it. Soem object model. It actually gets in your way at times.

Java does have its good points i must say. As its architecture and approach towards OOP. Applets are an Awsome feature for people of all walks of code. Running JSP (granted getting out there) isn't a crime, its a preatty sweet Server side programming language. Java ME is just the coolest.

That is my narrow overview of JAVA ;)

If you want power, use c/c++; if you want to write a quick and dirty program, use Java. If you like pushing buttons, use vb (or any .net pl will work ;)). If you have an eternity, assembly.
Bipper

edczxcvbnm
08-25-2005, 07:57 PM
Assembly!?!?! PFFFT! 0s and 1s baby :laugh:

bipper
08-25-2005, 08:01 PM
.model small
.stack
.data
message db "Hello world, I GOE!!!", "$"

.code

main proc
mov ax,seg message
mov ds,ax

mov ah,09
lea dx,message
int 21h

mov ax,4c00h
int 21h
main endp
end main

assembly..... yawn - and oh so dangerous :( I fried my fav monitor once using this black magic :cry: I.. miss you sony.. :cry:

Bipper

edczxcvbnm
08-25-2005, 08:04 PM
STOP! It has been a while since I have had to do anything with ancient language. It hurts my eyes...but 0 and 1 machine code you can see pictures in the patterns so it is awesome to look at.

bipper
08-25-2005, 08:06 PM
KK NEO :cool:

I use asembly all the time. It's a good way to optimize a lot of my graphix.

bipper

edczxcvbnm
08-25-2005, 08:08 PM
It is great for being efficent and all of that but it still hurts my eyes. If I am not mistaken I believe Team Ninja at Tecmo use A LOT of assembly on their games.

bipper
08-25-2005, 08:49 PM
c++:

#include <iostream.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
cout << "BIPPER GOES!! \n";
system("PAUSE");
return 0;
}

vs

ASM assembly:
.see post above - (The code is wrong I belive - if you try to compile it you should get some spaces in the ouput or junk at the end of the line) it was an example :)

I fail to see much of a difference... I actually like the astetic look of asm better than cpp as I hate operands :) Programming ain't about looks though :cry:

As far as I know, most higher caliber video games use some assembly... /shrug I wouldn't know for sure though...

Bipper GOES

edczxcvbnm
08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
I am pretty sure most games that push that grafix envelop use quite a bit of assembly. MGS, RE 4, Team Ninja anything.

I know it isn't about looks but assembly has always just bugged me for some reason. Might be me though ;_;