PDA

View Full Version : Spreading Card Rules

karatehero
08-23-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm on disk 3, and I'm thinking about challenging the CC group.

The thing that sucks is I have the random mode in my group of rules. As soon as I go to challenge the Jack, he incorporates that random rule. Consequently, my cards then suck because, well, its random. Then I lose because I have too many crappy cards.

So, is there a way to change the current set of rules, either that or not pass random on? I'd really rather not have to refine all my crappy cards (or is that what is normally done?).

Christmas
08-23-2005, 05:28 PM
I think the Queen of Cards can change the rules of a region for you.

crazybayman
08-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Your best bet is to play the ex-SeeD cadet in Balamb town. He's down by the dock, to the left of where you boarded the transports for the mission to Dollet. Play him, and all previous rules that you have picked up and spread along the way are negated, bringing you back to "straight" triple triad. No open, no plus, no random, just straight.

That's what I used to do to get rid of the random rule. In order to gain Selphie's card from the girl in Trabia, you have to play Random rules. I went to this dude afterward to get rid of it.

After that, the Queen of Cards will pass on a new rule for you, if you so desire.

As well, you WILL have to play with ALL the rules if you decide to challenge the CC group on board the Ragnarok on Disc 4. Therefore, it is best if you modified all your crappy (weak) cards. They will still be listed in your card list, just the quantity on the right will read 0, so you can still keep record of all the cards you've gained, even if you modified. There are lots of great items and tools to modified from cards, and they weak ones will serve you NO purpose otherwise.

karatehero
08-23-2005, 07:38 PM
What happens if I decide to challenge the CC group on disk 3? Do the rules follow what my rules are? I didn't even think you could fight them on disk 4.

Clarify - I am almost ready to go to the Lunar station. I just did the White seed ship stuff.

crazybayman
08-23-2005, 07:46 PM
What happens if I decide to challenge the CC group on disk 3? Do the rules follow what my rules are? I didn't even think you could fight them on disk 4.
This is a different challenge altogether. They basically want another crack at you because you've beaten them all to date. Its during time compression, right before you go into Ultimecia's Castle.

Right before you go into Ultimecia's castle, you go up the big chain, and there's 3 doors on the left. One of them leads to the seashore at Northeastern Esthar, near the Grandidi forest (which is in the northern most part of Esthar) and Chocobo holy ground. Equip enc-none (or fight many battles), and run up through the Grandidi forest to find the holy ground. When you get in there, talk to the boy, and proceed in, and press X at the chocobo to get a choice of whether to ride it, or stay longer. Anyways, when your ready, hop on.

Run down along the East Shore of Esthar continent, you can run in the shallow water. Find your way down to the Kashkabald Desert, where the Ragnarok is parked. Walk in, and Xu should be there, saying everyone wants to play you in cards.

I'm pretty sure the only members onboard will be those who you've beaten during the initial card quest. As well, this is your oportunity to get all high level cards you haven't gotten to date. As I said in the earlier post, you'll have to play all the different various rules with each different member.

Sepho
08-23-2005, 10:12 PM
Just thought I'd mention that you don't have to spread rules if you don't want to. There are different rules inherent to each region, but you don't have to spread them to regions that don't have the same rules.

Say when you come back from Esthar and you try to play someone in Balamb. When you challenge them to a game, there's the obligatory "Oh, I see you've been here and here; let's play with those rules etc.". Just say no, and the rule(s) won't be adopted into the region. Challenge the person again, and they may again mention something about foreign rules, but keep saying no and challenging him/her until he/she goes straight to asking for a card game. Then accept their proposal.

rubah
08-23-2005, 11:38 PM
You can always abolish rules, but I'm not entire sure how that works or if it can be done quickly.

Sepho
08-23-2005, 11:42 PM
I think it's mostly involving luck. And either some regions or rules are easy to abolish, because I can almost always abolish Random from the Lunar area (i.e. Ellone card game for Laguna card) in a couple of hands.

Skyblade
08-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Abolishing rules is usually done the same way as spreading them. Play a card game with area A. Go to area B (which has the rule you wish to abolish). Play a game there with combined rules (area A must have a rule area B doesn't). While usually a rule from area A will be added to area B's rules, occasionally one of area B's rules will be abolished instead. Using this method I have abolished Random almost entirely (yipee!).

There is also a chance that at the end of a normal game a rule will be abolished. I'm not sure how that works though. All I know is that after playing some in the Space Station, rules will occasionally be abolished. While the Space Station starts with all rules, I have abolished Same Wall and/or Plus from it at various times by playing normal games.

crazybayman
08-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Or........

Your best bet is to play the ex-SeeD cadet in Balamb town. He's down by the dock, to the left of where you boarded the transports for the mission to Dollet. Play him, and all previous rules that you have picked up and spread along the way are negated, bringing you back to "straight" triple triad. No open, no plus, no random, just straight.
I found this to be the easiest way to abolish rules.

Skyblade
08-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Or........

How does that abolish rules? The next time you play in an area other than Balamb, won't you have the same rules to play with as before?

crazybayman
08-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Or........

How does that abolish rules? The next time you play in an area other than Balamb, won't you have the same rules to play with as before?
hhhmmmmm......yes I think that's true. Except for in Balamb Garden and town, of course.

I did find it useful when I wanted to go back to Balamb Garden to complete the CC Card Quest, and needed to get rid of Random rule.

So I guess what it does is reset all regions' rules back to their original state, erasing them of all rule spreading you've done to date. That way you don't find Random and plus and sudden death etc in places where they weren't originally found.

To Karatehero: It is just as well that you modify all your weaker cards. If you decide to take on the CC group on board the Ragnarok before Ultimecia's castle, you'll wind up playing with all the rules in all areas, including Random, and the other unlikeable rules, regardless. As well if you do find a way to abolish them, you'll still have to play them at some point or other.
Like I said earlier, your cards will still be listed, just with quantity 0.