PDA

View Full Version : The Easiest Rock Instrument

Buster Sword Strike
08-23-2005, 07:00 PM
What do you think/know is the easiest rock instrument (Electric guitar, bass guitar, drums)?
Label them 1 for easiest to 3 for hardest. The reason I'm asking you to do this is because eventually I want to pick up another instrument so I want to know where I lay on this list and what I should pick up.

tomamar04
08-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Drums are easiest by a long way.

Buster Sword Strike
08-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Sweet I might pick them up then! But could someone tell me which the hardest is as well?

FallenSilence
08-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Electric guitar is quite tough.

Buster Sword Strike
08-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Cool I play the electric guitar. Maybe I can learn drums too I guess. My inspiration is my middle schools music teacher. He could pick up any instrument and play it like a pro.

Cz
08-23-2005, 07:19 PM
It helps if you can play a variety of instruments, so learning the drums is probably the best way to go, since the transition from electric to acoustic or bass isn't that big. Be warned though, drums are very expensive.

eestlinc
08-23-2005, 07:35 PM
depends on what you do with it. it's pretty easy to play bass if all you play is half note bass lines, but if you want to tear it up it will take considerably more work. same thing with guitar, drums, etc.

Buster Sword Strike
08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
If all I use are practice pads untill school starts and we can use the studio will I be able to learn properly? (I mean next summer)

DK
08-23-2005, 08:16 PM
Guitar = Hard to learn, easy to master
FishmanFishman = Easy to learn, Hard to master
Fishman = What the arse is a fishman?
Drums = A cu
nt if you have no rhythm and if you have a hard time using all for limbs at once doing different jobs.

Edit number 2: what the crap is the deal with this censor, man. ;__;

Cz
08-23-2005, 08:21 PM
Fishman = Easy to learn, Hard to master
Fishman = What the arse is a fishman?A prime example of short-term memory loss at work. :D

Shoeberto
08-23-2005, 08:45 PM
The only real hard part in learning to play full drums is getting your body coordinated. After that you can play just about anything.

Dr.K
08-24-2005, 12:20 PM
I'd say...

Bass - Easy to pick up on, but issues with fingertips hurting
Drums - If you have sense of rhythm, a doddle to pick up on. Difficult if you don't
Guitar - Challenging to pick up on due to smaller frets, and issues with fingertips hurting and suppressing unwanted excess noise (provided you're playing rock)

Any instrument short of the triangle is a challenge to master, so I thought it was kinda pointless putting whether they were hard to master or not.

Meat Puppet
08-24-2005, 12:24 PM
the sugar throated scream
backed up by lungs
tight pants is an optional (getting more popular in high school)

Pure Strife
08-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Bass is by far the easiest to learn. People who fail at playing guitar tend to pick this up and do considerably better with it, this I have seen. Like any instrument you have to work your balls off to get really good at it, but if you've got big hands it's not bad.

Personally I'm happy playing guitar. It took a lot of work to get to shredding level and I don't know if I can be bothered getting that far with anything else.

Dudius
08-24-2005, 04:36 PM
no instument is easy unless you're very very talented with it and... I guess you would say born with it. Anyone can learn a few songs on any of those intruments, but actually being able to play takes years.

Try listening to Maxell Murders by Rancid. Then ask yourself if bass is easy.

Shockwave Pulsar
08-24-2005, 10:44 PM
Bass is probably the hardest instrument to master, and it's also very technically rich, slap, tap, pluck, pick etc... I’ve played bass for about 5 years, about 2 years ago I bought a guitar and found it remarkably easier, the only problem I encountered was developing speed with the pick (for shredding).
As far as the shredding, bass shredding is probably the most challenging thing that I’ve come across in my whole life. I’m talking finger shredding, three fingers, clean. With a pick the speed comes from the movement of your palm or your forearm, but in bass the speed comes from the muscles in everyone of your fingers, and that takes a lot of time to build up. Especially the third finger in your right hand, it took me a while to be actually able to use it like I use my first 2. But in the other hand it's quite difficult as well, since the bass frets are larger and the strings are ticker, and that makes pressing the frets down hard, now add shredding speed to that and it's a recipe for challenge.
But it's all about the genre as people say, of course rock or pop's bass is easy to play, since most of the time it consists in root notes or very simple lines. But for example bass in bands like stratovarius, or that kind of power or speed metal, very few bassists are be able to pull (correctly, accurately and precisely) those bass lines, mostly because of the speed.
Maybe guitar is an instrument that is meant to lead and because of that people think higher of it. But technically and physically (because of the way it's build) speaking, bass is harder to master as a whole.

BTW - Maxwell murder rulez, even using a pick that's some nice speed.

Cloud No.9
08-24-2005, 10:57 PM
leanr organ and piano. can't go wrong there.

Calliope
08-25-2005, 04:55 AM
Tamborine solo.

Shoeberto
08-25-2005, 04:59 AM
Cow bell.

Mindflare
08-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Electric triangle.

Buster Sword Strike
08-25-2005, 08:57 PM
Thanks Shockwave! Geeze that went off topic suddenly.