PDA

View Full Version : what do u guys think of lufia 1 and 2 and the first mana game on the snes

Skarr
08-24-2005, 04:53 AM
i'd like the opinions of those that have played these games....mainly because i want to know if there worth playing...and i know....i shouldn't let other peoples opinions dictate whether i play em or not...but i'm just looking for some suggestions...i'll play em anyway....but please...let me know :)

Polnareff
08-24-2005, 05:40 AM
I've pretty sure I've never played the first Mana game on SNES (I'm not even sure which one is the first, but if it's Seiken Densetsu 2, I've played it before)

I've played the Lufia games, and got bored of both of them quickly. They both have some challenging puzzles, but everything else is pretty much cookie cutter. In Lufia 2 (I don't remember if this is also in Lufia 1 as well), the battles aren't random. The enemies show up on screen and you can basically avoid most of them. It's kind of a deathwish to do so, however.

The battle system gets annoying because it takes forever to level up. Some enemies can end up getting on your nerves as well, with being able to kill you in one or two hits. On my last file, I played for two hours and my character's only like level 7, and gets killed easily.

I don't even remember much about the story of either game either, so there you go :P

The games aren't really that bad, but they are kind of annoying and boring. I haven't played the one for GBA however.

Dignified Pauper
08-24-2005, 08:15 AM
Lufia 2 > Lufia 1 Both good games though.

Sieken Densetsu are good games. I really enjoy them. The gameplay is riveting and extraordinary!

Sepho
08-24-2005, 08:43 AM
Seiken Densetsu translates to "Legend of the Holy Sword". The Holy Sword being the Mana sword featured in the games' storyline.

The first Seiken Densetsu was released for the original black-'n'-white Gameboy back in '91, but outside of Japan it was given the title "Final Fantasy Adventure," with the idea being that it would be more popular in the U.S. under the guise of an FF game, a franchise that was at least known at the time by a small demographic rather than completely unheard of. I've never personally played it outside of a few minutes spent on an emulator. Nevertheless, I'd hardly describe it as a must-have title.

Seiken Densetsu 2 is what you know as Secret of Mana. Yeah, good times. I'd recommend this game to just about anyone.

Seiken Densetsu 3 was never released outside Japan, but you might call it "Secret of Mana 2", or just Seiken Densetsu 3 would work. Instead they opted to release Secret of Evermore, which uses the Mana engine but instead adopts a sci-fi setting versus the fantasy backdrop found in the Seiken Densetsu series. Evermore is generally not thought well of, but I like it. I've played a little bit of Seiken Densetsu 3, but I don't remember much about it.

Legend of Mana is the title they chose for the PS1 game, Seiken Densetsu 4, when translating it to English. I really want to play this game after all I've heard from gamer buddies, but I haven't come across a copy.

The GBA game, Sword of Mana (Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu) is a re-release of the original Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure that sports SK2-esque graphics and probably some other changes to gameplay that I'm forgetting. I haven't played it.

I haven't played the Lufia games, but I'd give them a shot.

Dreddz
08-24-2005, 09:53 AM
I only played Secret Of Mana and I thought it was a damn good game..........

Skarr
08-24-2005, 02:39 PM
i much as figured secret of mana was a good game...thanks....hey c'mon people...did any1 else play the first 2 lufia games

Aphelion
08-24-2005, 08:01 PM
I did. Lufia 1 was way too boring, but Lufia 2 was just awesome. The puzzles were really hard (and a bit annoying sometimes), but the overall experience was very fun. I didn't like the fact that many of the characters you meet in the beggining of the game leave your party (no names here), but the ending party was charismatic anyway.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Legend of Mana is the title they chose for the PS1 game, Seiken Densetsu 4, when translating it to English.The Japanese title of Legend of Mana is Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana, not "Seiken Densetsu 4."
The GBA game, Sword of Mana (Shinyaku Seiken Densetsu) is a re-release of the original Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure that sports SK2-esque graphicsNot that there's too huge a difference, but the visual style is closer to SD3 mixed with a little LoM than SD2.

Lord Chainsaw
08-25-2005, 03:55 AM
Lufia 2 is probably the best of the three. It's one of the few RPGs I've played where I actually don't mind doing the puzzles. The Ancient Cave can be a fun way to waste 6 hours, and the battles move nice and fast.

Secret of Mana is pretty good, but not that good. Although it has some pretty neat locations and a great overworld, most of the dungeons are terribly boring in design, and the boss fights are even worse. I'd recommend Secret of Evermore over this game. They play the same way, but Evermore has better locations, music, and slightly patched up gameplay although it is shorter.

Lufia 1 is not that good. I played Lufia 2 before 1, and I couldn't stand it. First thing that got to me was the ridiculous enounter rate. Expect more ridiculous encounter rolls than Breath of Fire II and possibly even Super Ninja Boy. Most of the enemies aren't good ol' hard, but frustratingly cheap. I remember these frogs that would use Flood every single first round of battle. Not hard, just frustratingly cheap. I wouldn't consider playing this game unless you want to complete the trilogy.

Sepho
08-25-2005, 04:52 AM
The Japanese title of Legend of Mana is Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana, not "Seiken Densetsu 4."

Ah, I was going to just write "the fourth Seiken Densetsu game" or something to that effect, because I had never heard/seen the Japanese title and didn't really care to look it up, but it just sort of came out that way. Oops.

Not that there's too huge a difference, but the visual style is closer to SD3 mixed with a little LoM than SD2.

Okay.

Giga Guess
08-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Lufia 1> Never played it.

Lufia 2> Pretty fun...and an interesting ending...kinda sad.

Secret of Mana> Fun game...enjoyed it a lot.

Seiken Densetsu 3> Very fun...pretty high replay value to it.