PDA

View Full Version : The Excalibur II: the quest to end all quests.

Wiegrahf42
08-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Have you yourself, or has anyone you know ever attempted this epic quest? For those who don't know, to get the Excalibur II (Steiner's ultimate and the best overall weapon). you must arrive at memoria (disc 4) within 12 hours of beginning your game. I've read guides on how to do this, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever tried this.

SoftReset
08-24-2005, 09:41 PM
No, but I'm just about to start.

Old Manus
08-24-2005, 10:35 PM
I read somewhere you can do it easier by not defeating Hades or Lich until the clock has passed 100:00 hours. It then returns to zero, leaving you do it again.

Could be a pile of Zaghnol crap though, I tried it got to 100 hours, and the clock went red, but only then I realised that I had beaten all the bosses up to Kuja. It was the last game that worked on my PlayStation, if you catch my drift.

Polyonymous
08-24-2005, 10:44 PM
I've never tried it, but I just finished playing through it again about 10 minutes ago. I will probably go for it after I finish writting my guide.

SeeDRankLou
08-24-2005, 11:13 PM
I've done it. It's a bit annoying. Lots of restarting, having to attempt several times to go through areas with as little random battle as possible, and hoping that when you do get into one that you can run fast enough. Having to do boss battles repeatedly at low levels and without being able to pump up some of your moves. It's tough, but doable.

SoftReset
08-24-2005, 11:35 PM
I read somewhere you can do it easier by not defeating Hades or Lich until the clock has passed 100:00 hours. It then returns to zero, leaving you do it again.

The time displayed will roll over to 00:00:00, but it will be red and will actually count for 100+ hours. I know because one of my saves is 10:00:00 yellow, which is 200+ hours. That will not get you the ExII.

For the timer to truly reset (to roll over after reaching its true limit, not just the display limit), you'd have to leave you PS on for two years straight.

kawakami Gensai
08-25-2005, 02:45 AM
Why cant we all just settle for the Exaliber (the first on I mean). Also, (kinda off topic) does anybody know how to get the info that used to be on play online?

G SpOtZ
08-25-2005, 04:08 AM
i read about this somewhere... oh where was it... somewhere in one of the threads that were already in this forum? XD

i've never tried. dun really want to. everybody sez it's not worth it. hmm.

Mercen-X
08-25-2005, 09:18 AM
does anybody know how to get the info that used to be on play online?
I think they deleted it.

Captain Maxx Power
08-25-2005, 12:42 PM
Let's just do a quick comparison

RAGNAROK (second best sword barring ExII. Takes a while to get, but can be done at your own pace, and includes a whole load of other gear to boot)

Teaches: Shock, Thunder Slash
Attack: +87

EXCALIBUR II (best sword, which requires intimate knowledge of the game, a load of tricks such as ignore ATE's, skipping FMVs, and other assorted nonsense)

Teaches: Minus Strike, Climhazzard, Stock Break
Attack: +108
Type: Holy

Comments: Frist of all let's look at the learned skills. Climhazzard can be learned only by the other Excalibur weapon. However Minus Strike is common enough, though Stock Break can only come from Ultima Weapon. Shock is unique to the Ragnarok, and Thunder Slash can only be learned from the Defender. So in terms of the skills, I'd say Ragnarok wins since it comes with a totally unique learnable skill.

As for the attack, ExII wins hands down. However, later in the game if you've been developing your stats right and have all those juicy skills learned, then you'll most likely be hitting for 9999 damage each time regardless.

Ragnarok causes slow. This is of course easily resisted later on in the game, and can be caused by other weapons/skills. Holy damage on the other hand is a tad rarer, and nowhere near as resisted as the Slow status is.

In short, ExII isn't needed if you want to learn all the skills (you need Ragnarok for that), but it is the better sword in combat overall IMO.

SeeDRankLou
08-25-2005, 11:35 PM
does anybody know how to get the info that used to be on play online?
They moved it to square-enix.com .