PDA

View Full Version : psx

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-25-2005, 01:51 AM
ok, I am always reading about the psx or the ps1 or the ps2, but what the hell is the psx. I read somewhere that it was only released in japan, but I still have no fucking idea what it is. would anyone care to enlighten me?

Shoeberto
08-25-2005, 01:55 AM
People used to call the PS1 the PSX, but then a few years back Sony released a PS2 that had DVR (think TiVo) capabilities that was called the PSX.

I don't have any sources for this, so I may be wrong.

ZeZipster
08-25-2005, 01:58 AM
Rich boys toy... It was like... a PS2 and TiVo conglomerate that could burn DVDs.

Black Mage
08-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Confusingly, PSX is also a popular nickname for the PlayStation video game console. The "X" appears because Sony originally developed the PlayStation as a CD-ROM and SNES hybrid unit. When the project was halted by Nintendo, Sony decided to redesign the PlayStation as a stand alone console, which was known internally as the PlayStation Experimental. The media caught wind of the name and it has stuck ever since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX

Vyk
08-25-2005, 02:06 AM
Yeah, everytime they do some doofy experiment (and the PS1 itself was originally an experiment as stated above) they call it PSX. PS3 will probably have (or maybe was already considered) a PSX. But when people say PSX they usually mean PS1. Same amount of numerals. I don't see why X should be easier to type than a 1 XD But whatever

DJZen
08-25-2005, 02:25 AM
See here: http://darkwatcher.psxfanatics.com/console/sonypsx.htm

Dr.K
08-25-2005, 11:33 AM
I always wondered where the whole 'PSX' thing came from. I was hoping the reason would be a bit more tolerable than what the Wikipedia said :p

Cloud No.9
08-25-2005, 03:43 PM
th original playstation was called psx before it was all revealed and stuff. usual media hype kinda stuff like nintendo calling the n64 the dolphin and that kinda nonesense with the microspft xgna.

so people continued to call the playstation the psx. it was quite accepted. you could also have been called the ps1, ps or psone.

then sony made it all very complicated by releasing a psx which was a ps2, dvd recorder, hard drive and a few other gadgets in a shiny metal box.

and that led to this confusion.

Yrkoon
09-07-2005, 10:07 PM
also the psone which is a smaller version of the ps1 :P

Mo-Nercy
09-07-2005, 11:29 PM
They call the airport at Los Angeles LAX for the same reason don't they?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-08-2005, 03:03 AM
th original playstation was called psx before it was all revealed and stuff. usual media hype kinda stuff like nintendo calling the n64 the dolphin and that kinda nonesense with the microspft xgna."Dolphin" was the code name for the GameCube, not the N64.

Referring to the PlayStation as "PSX" was idiotic regardless of how accepted it was, and I'm glad it's been phased out.

Endless
09-08-2005, 07:44 AM
The N64 was "Project Reality". Personally, I prefer PSX, because PS1 is pronounced like PSOne which is the slim version, which I don't own.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Then call it, you know, the PS.

The Nintendo 64 was also called the "Nintendo Ultra 64" in America until sometime in '96, when they realized how stupid that sounded.

Sephex
09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Then call it, you know, the PS.

The Nintendo 64 was also called the "Nintendo Ultra 64" in America until sometime in '96, when they realized how stupid that sounded.

I remember when it was suppoed to be called "Ultra 64", but then some suit probably freaked out and said, "NINTENDO'S NAME ISN'T ON THE PRODUCT!!!!"

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-08-2005, 08:30 AM
That, or, "Hey maybe we could try not changing the system's name this time."