PDA

View Full Version : The atmosphere in this game...

Peter_20
08-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Am I the only one who found the atmosphere in FF2 (NOT FF4) to be pretty exciting and legendary?
I mean, especially in the original version, I could just stop, listen to the strong overworld soundtrack (daaaaaa-DAA-daaaaaa) and just imagine what was going on in that world.
Itīs hard to explain, I just feel some really interesting, "tragic" and addicting kind of fantasy feel, I feel like exploring the dreamlike world and just - exist there.
Sure, the game does have its flaws, but apart from that, the world in FF2 really feels incredibly interesting.
I donīt know why; itīs in my taste, obviously, but do you get my point?

Kawaii Ryûkishi
08-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Yes, I enjoy the overworld music, too.

crashNUMBERS
08-25-2005, 06:33 PM
FF2 is cool in general. A lot of people say it sucks only because of the battle system. Well I have a message for you people. A game isn't all about graphics. A game isn't all about battle system/ Gameplay. It's all about overall features. Take the battle system away and you have a great game. people have to see this.I actually enjoyed the gameplay though..

boys from the dwarf
08-25-2005, 07:37 PM
i liked the battle system.FF2 was very enjoyable but it is shorter and less complex than most FFs(that probbably only because its the second one.).but there is not an FF i dont like.i even like FFX-2 although it sucks compared to others i still like it.

Captain Maxx Power
08-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Shorter? Blimey, it took me ages to complete. Maybe it just feels longer. But it is a very good, oft overlooked chapter of the FF franchise.

crashNUMBERS
08-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Yeah. People are still making Final Fantasy VII more overrated and overlooking this one..

Sepho
08-27-2005, 04:27 AM
I felt like I spent more time in a hour-long battles, attacking and healing myself in intervals, than I did enjoying the story.

cookieface
08-27-2005, 08:13 AM
Am I the only one who found the atmosphere in FF2 (NOT FF4) to be pretty exciting and legendary?
I mean, especially in the original version, I could just stop, listen to the strong overworld soundtrack (daaaaaa-DAA-daaaaaa) and just imagine what was going on in that world.
Itīs hard to explain, I just feel some really interesting, "tragic" and addicting kind of fantasy feel, I feel like exploring the dreamlike world and just - exist there.
Sure, the game does have its flaws, but apart from that, the world in FF2 really feels incredibly interesting.

I know what you're saying. Those old games with no-graphics make you use your imagination, not just feed you video. I liked that too. Of the 8 bit ones, 3 was my favorite. I liked the NPCs that followed you all the time. But 2 was also good, the GBA version is very playable.

Peter_20
08-27-2005, 11:47 AM
I know what you're saying. Those old games with no-graphics make you use your imagination, not just feed you video. I liked that too. Of the 8 bit ones, 3 was my favorite. I liked the NPCs that followed you all the time. But 2 was also good, the GBA version is very playable.

Yeah, but I think the perfect atmosphere was there in the original NES version.
I mean, that MIDI sound just felt more... moving or something.
Try this if you start a new game sometime: stop outside of Phin, look at the airships passing by, listen to the soundtrack and imagine whatīs out there.
Sadly, itīs impossible to actually describe feelings, but thereīs something in this game that feels really tempting.
Itīs so goddamn epic when the party heads for the Ice Cave on that ice sled, or when Mihn dies and you find the towns are destroyed by the Empire.

Also, I think this is the darkest game in the series, it even beats FF6 and FF7 on that part.

I felt like I spent more time in a hour-long battles, attacking and healing myself in intervals, than I did enjoying the story.
Well, I agree, most of the game was a lot about healing your party, leveling up in dungeons, exit the dungeon because of looow HP/MP, re-enter the dungeon and so on.
But youīve gotta admit the story is pretty touching.

Chris
08-27-2005, 01:02 PM
I agree. This game has so many wonderful phrases and phases, but its equally painful and annoying. Anyways, it definitely has some truly, magical, music in it.

Dreddz
08-27-2005, 05:09 PM
I enjoyed the game alot, but the Music isnt really something I'd Gawp over.....

Peter_20
08-27-2005, 05:14 PM
I enjoyed the game alot, but the Music isnt really something I'd Gawp over.....

Well, although the soundtrack wasnīt totally ingenious, I still think the tunes of the Overworld and the ones in the villages were really nice.

Sepho
08-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Well, I agree, most of the game was a lot about healing your party, leveling up in dungeons, exit the dungeon because of looow HP/MP, re-enter the dungeon and so on.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting into battles with weak enemies and attacking your own party (then healing) to increase their stats, but yeah, without doing any of that, the game can be frustrating in difficulty.

Peter_20
08-27-2005, 09:57 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of getting into battles with weak enemies and attacking your own party (then healing) to increase their stats, but yeah, without doing any of that, the game can be frustrating in difficulty.

I thought the idea of leveling up skills to some magics was a cool idea.
However, it only seemed cool in theory; in execution it just doesnīt work, having to cure Poison and Blind, which you have to get affected from, hundreds of times before being able to heal Stop and similar stuff.
Thatīs pretty annoying, but luckily, you do get affected from things often enough to actually build this Heal magic.
Itīs hard to tell whether thatīs good or bad; good because you can heal yourself better; bad because you actually have to get affected from things.
Now weīre talking double-edged swords! :D