PDA

View Full Version : hitman running very fast

Cloud No.9
08-26-2005, 06:05 PM
i have recently bought a new laptop computer. when i try to play hitman codename 47 (the first one) the came plays at what must be triple speed. is there a reason for this and a way to stop it? it ran fine on my desktop.

bipper
08-26-2005, 06:48 PM
Hey cloud, click start, then run and type in DXDIAG

(DirectX Diagnostics) the post what you get, if you would plz.

EDIT: Before you even do that, you said you are running the game on a laptop right? Laptops lower the clockspeed to save batery and sometimes when they get hot. to remedy this goto ontrol panel, then Power options and there should be an always on selection in there.
:eek: :love:
Bipper HELPS

Shoeberto
08-26-2005, 06:52 PM
I think this requires VSync or a Sync Every Frame option to be turned on, yes?

There might also be a cvar that lets you limit your max FPS.

Cloud No.9
08-26-2005, 07:06 PM
every other game works fine for some reason.

bipper
08-26-2005, 07:24 PM
If you laptop seems to be too new for the game (I am not sure if hitman was a dos run game or not) try running this Dosbox (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net) it will work with your dos run games.

Bipper

Cloud No.9
08-26-2005, 08:26 PM
as i said i runs on my new desktop which far outpowers this laptop.

bipper
08-27-2005, 12:08 PM
Did you try what i posted?

Does sound like typical laptop behavior for some games.

crono_logical
08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
I have that problem with Unreal Tournament on my laptop. It's caused by SpeedStep i.e. the CPU clock speed isn't constant - when the game loads, the CPU is at a lower speed so the game adjusts for that, but then during the game, the CPU speed steps up to maximum since you're now doing heavy processing, causing the game to run too fast because it doesn't compensate for it.

You can get round it by temporarily disabling the automatic speed changing before you start the game and forcing it at maximum speed even though it's not using all the power, such as going into Power Management and choosing a scheme other than Laptop.