PDA

View Full Version : Any emulator ideas?

Peter_20
08-26-2005, 06:41 PM
So, I´m using this Windows XP, "Dell" kinda computer, and I´d like to hear advice on what´s the best NES emulator out there.
I really would like playing FF2 right now, and I´m having problems finding good emulator files - I simply can´t use them!
I´ve been looking on www.vimm.net for a while now, and I can´t find any comprimated files (the ones with this chain icon on the file).
Do you know of any, or can you not use them on newer computers?

DJZen
08-26-2005, 09:47 PM
I use NNNesterJ, and it works perfectly for what I use it for.

Peter_20
08-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Kind of, thanks A LOT! :love:
Hah, that ROM ruled! :D
Smooth and everything, no "stiffiness" whatsoever!

*walks off to play FF2*

rubah
08-27-2005, 02:49 AM
I use virtualnes and it's just fine and dandy.

Sepho
08-27-2005, 04:15 AM
I used to use Nesticle back in the day, but in the last couple years I've been playing with JNes when I had to find a non-DOS alternative. It works good for me.

crashNUMBERS
08-27-2005, 04:19 AM
I use FC Ultra. here. Go here for some EMU's and their description..

http://www.zophar.net/nes.html

cookieface
08-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Another vote for VirtualNes here, it's the fastest if all you want is to play most games.

Peter_20
08-27-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks for your advice, but I´m "stuck" with NNNesterJ now.
However...

Why does it always say "Set Disc 2" or something in the left corner?

EmeraldWeaponluvsRuby
08-27-2005, 05:39 PM
FCE Ultra is godly. I've been using it since 2003.

Peter_20
08-27-2005, 08:10 PM
So, If I ever change my mind, is it possible to move this FF2 data to another emulator?

Also, what´s with this "Disc 2" thing on NNNesterJ?

cookieface
08-27-2005, 11:55 PM
That's the famicom disk system alert, if it's in the emulator. If it's showing up during regular play of non FDS games, another reason not to use that emulator.

Btw, FCEU is most compatible, but it's slower and uses more memory. Virtualnes can be played full speed even with filters on any PC without disturbing multitask, even older ones, unless it's really far back.

And oh yea, it is possible to move the save game from one emulator to another, but not a guarantee. That is, it usually works but not always. You can try it by copying the .sav file to the save directory of the new emulator, and opening the same game with it. Only .sav battery files work, not emulator instant saves.

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 01:04 AM
Well, this is so frustrating.
No matter what emulator I´m downloading, it ALWAYS says Unknown Deliverer and stuff; "only use files you can trust" bla bla bla.
I´ve downloaded this FCE Ultra now, from a seemingly trustworthy site, and STILL it´s unknown in every possible category!
Where are the good ones, anyway?

cookieface
08-28-2005, 01:35 AM
That you're describing seems like some sort of strict anti-virus or a netwatcher running on the computer, I don't think it's the files. The vnes site ... http://virtuanes.s1.xrea.com:8080/index.php if it's no good, it's like I said.

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 01:56 AM
Alright, one more question, please!

How do I get those "bar strips" away from the screen?
You know, those things on the top and the bottom of the screen.
They´re pretty annoying.

cookieface
08-28-2005, 02:09 AM
just mess with the options. you have to set things to fill screen, and maybe change or enable other options like aspect correction, etc

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 02:49 AM
Ha!
Now I´ve learnt this stuff!
It wasn´t that hard, after all!
I just choose "Fill Screen" and then play away (or something). :cool:
I can save stuff with F5, reload with F7 and quit the whole thing with F12!
Yay! :D

*walks off to play some FF2*

EDIT:
Hey, I´ve actually got yet another question:
yeah, I´m still using FCE Ultra, and sure, it still rules, but I´ve got some trouble with the graphics;
it seems a bit pale.
There are no troubles with the colors and graphical details, technically it *looks* perfect, but I´m getting the feeling I´m suffering from bad vision or something, it´s tiring for my eyes.
Alright, to be honest I DO suffer from short-sightedness (0.6), but that handicap gives you trouble with stuff far away, and I really can´t say my computer screen is that far away, about 18 inches.
So do you know how to make the graphics look a little sharper?
I´ve checked the Video settings a lot, but I get lost during every attempt.

Peter_20
09-12-2005, 09:32 PM
That's the famicom disk system alert, if it's in the emulator. If it's showing up during regular play of non FDS games, another reason not to use that emulator.
Actually, I DON'T CARE anymore about this "Disc 2" crap!
I found out it only showed up when I pressed the C button, which I usually use as the NES A button. :cool:
So, I simply changed the Controller Settings, and now I use B and M instead of Z and C, and suddenly,
no more pop-up alerts! :D

cookieface
09-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Go you. ;)

Peter_20
09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Go you. ;)?

Vivi123
03-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Try Jnes

RSL
03-11-2006, 09:12 PM