PDA

View Full Version : the death of mp3?

Cloud No.9
08-26-2005, 11:27 PM
does anyone think that mp3 will die off as a format? i think it will. the 3 big players all have their own formar, apple's aac, sony's atrac, microsoft's wma. these format allow for better copy protection, can be compressed further or less and so are more flexible.

and with most mp3 sites being closed is this the beginning of the end?

Hawkeye
08-26-2005, 11:31 PM
An mp3 has much better quality than a wma. Which sounds better: a compressed song, or a high quality song?

Cloud No.9
08-26-2005, 11:32 PM
wma can be made lossless. that is one of the great things about it. mp3 is compressed.

rubah
08-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Why on earth would we want formats with copy protection?

kthxbai.

MP3 has quite a bit of compression ranges you can choose from. I've seen 300+ and down to about 40 kbps.

I've never heard of sony's format that you named. Obviously it isn't in much usage yet, and I fail to see why you counted it with the other two.

mp3 is getting old, but still works.

txt is even older, but still works fine.

Rye
08-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Not for a while because .mp3s are the best type of file for music. iTunes format is good, but it only works for iTunes and you can't share them. And I won't even go into .wma files, that's how sucky they are.

Cloud No.9
08-26-2005, 11:36 PM
i don't see what is wrong with a flexible file format.

and the fact that aac cannot be shared is the reason while it will be choosen over mp3. it protects the money makers.

Discord
08-27-2005, 12:52 AM
MP3 is great! It runs on all normal media players and thats the way it should go, just like MPEG. Or do you people want to have 20 players installed, just incase you need to watch a .mov or a .real or a .something file. No, MP3 should stay, unless a better version of it will be developed.

rubah
08-27-2005, 02:21 AM
i don't see what is wrong with a flexible file format.

and the fact that aac cannot be shared is the reason while it will be choosen over mp3. it protects the money makers.

However, when people don't buy those 'money makers''s files because of crappy formats, they'll soon stop using them.

and I've already said that mp3 is flexible. In the same way that jpeg is flexible, actually, seeing how they're very similar xD

Meat Puppet
08-27-2005, 02:51 AM
cl_out hates wma

XxSephirothxX
08-27-2005, 02:58 AM
I'm sure it'll die eventually, as most media formats do. But I don't think it'll be for several years yet. None of the other formats are so great that they'll stamp out everything else available.

lordblazer
08-27-2005, 02:59 AM
You guys buy mp3's now?

Optium
08-27-2005, 03:17 AM
If mp3s are killed it won't be by any of the things listed above. The only
thing that will kill them are lossless formats, of course the reason mp3s are
so popular is because they take lossless and convert it to a format which
takes out a TON of information, but stuff that you don't hear...or that's
how it's supposed to work...and thus you have a much smaller file. But
once space is no longer an issue (with the birth of holographic CDs and
other mass storage devices) mp3s may give way to lossless formats.
In fact they are in some places, such as the bittorrent brance of etree.org
which offers tons of free live shows by share friendly bands all in lossless
format. The difference between lossless and lossy isn't so much the sound
but the feeling. The best description I've heard was by my sister (when I
made her listen to a lossless Ozric Tentacles show that I got). She said
"MP3s are like..." and pointed with 1 finger on each hand at each of her
ears, then moved her hands an inch away, then back, then away, then
back. "But this is like..." and she wiggled all her fingers next to her ears.
Sort of hard to explain exactly what it looked like with text though haha.

But anyway, yeah, mp3s will be killed by lossless formats, but aacs,
wmas, etc don't stand a chance because they're more oriented toward
a specific company or product. Once mp3 players (note the name, haha)
support FLAC and SHN files, you'll start to see them rise to power I think.

.opt

rubah
08-27-2005, 03:39 AM
Is it just me, or am I only imagining that OGG has a lossless format?

Optium
08-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Ahhhh I think you're right. Good call, then it's further along than I
thought.

.opt

Rengori
08-27-2005, 04:02 AM
Let MP3's die. I like PSF's, SPC's, NSF's, and other game music formats more anyway.

Buster Sword Strike
08-27-2005, 05:21 AM
Why does everyone download music? If you like the music that much then the band/artist deserves to have you buy their CD's or whatever. I mean I would be sort of choked if nobody bought my music because they downloaded it instead. I wouldn't be able to keep making music because my salary would be too low to live on.

Shoeberto
08-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Why does everyone download music? If you like the music that much then the band/artist deserves to have you buy their CD's or whatever. I mean I would be sort of choked if nobody bought my music because they downloaded it instead. I wouldn't be able to keep making music because my salary would be too low to live on.
I do buy albums. I also like listening to said albums on my computer without having to swap CDs in the drive for just a few songs. So I rip them.

And the MP3 won't die unless it's by force, like if OSes start having built-in copy protection stuff that requires you to use a proprietary format. However, simply put, MP3 is the most widely accepted format. OGG should take it over, since it's just as open of a format with better compression, but it's not up to par compatibility wise with most hardware MP3 players.

Buster Sword Strike
08-27-2005, 05:31 AM
I do buy albums. I also like listening to said albums on my computer without having to swap CDs in the drive for just a few songs. So I rip them. And the MP3 won't die unless it's by force, like if OSes start having built-in copy protection stuff that requires you to use a proprietary format. However, simply put, MP3 is the most widely accepted format. OGG should take it over, since it's just as open of a format with better compression, but it's not up to par compatibility wise with most hardware MP3 players.

Yes, thats exactly what I do, collecting albums pawns downloads anyday. You're a good person. :up:

ShunNakamura
08-27-2005, 05:47 AM
I also buy what Albums and such that I can... but I really have a hard time to find the rare ones. So I will download them.. and then buy them if I ever see one in my area.(After all.. since I don't burn cd's I can't listen to it my car which is where I want to listen to it anyways ;))

bipper
08-27-2005, 01:19 PM
MP3 standards do allow for music companies to tag files and such to find pirated music; or so i have heard. I have never really done much with the evil interworkings of MPEG layer 3 (which is what mp3 is synominous for). I did hear on the news about a year ago that the standard now allows for ( i would assume somehitng to the extent of meta) tagging for files to determine where they came from and the origional owners.

This is obvioulsy more for the sites that sell mp3 downloads. With the process of mass producing a cd wouldn't allow serialization too easily.

Bipper

DMKA
08-27-2005, 04:58 PM
wma can be made lossless. that is one of the great things about it. mp3 is compressed.
You...don't know what compression is, do you? You see, uncompressed audio files are huge. Compression is what makes them small and makes it to where you can fit a billion of them on an iPod or whatever. WMA, from my experience, can compress more while retaining quality than MP3 can, but MP3 is superior in many, many ways, including compatability and how much tweaking you can do with it. If it's "lossless" it's going to be huge...the reason MP3, WMA, OGG, ect. exsist is for the sole purpose of compression. WAV is the primary standard for uncompressed, lossless audio. When you compress, you lose data...that's what compression is...the job of the codec is to do it in such a fashion that it gets the filesize as small as possible while retaining just enough quality that the human ear can't tell the difference.

I personally prefer MP3 to all the others, but in a technical sense, in every way, OGG beats them all...yet no players use it yet.

Cloud No.9
08-27-2005, 05:32 PM
windows media player allows you to rip cd's into wma lossless format. still smaller than wav though. their words not mine.

MecaKane
08-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Chosen by who? MP3s aren't like cassete tapes or VHS tapes where one day they stop making them and all you can get is CDs or DVDs. The people who make illegal copies of CDs aren't going to chose a format they can't distribute, that's just stupid.

Cloud No.9
08-27-2005, 07:56 PM
MecaKane choosen over by legitimate retailers, i tunes, sony connect, aol, msn, amazon etc.

Lindy
08-27-2005, 08:09 PM
PEOPLE are different from COMPANIES.

People are the main influence on things like this, just because Microsoft/Apple/The Man In The Moon says to stop using MP3s and use their formats instead, doesn't mean people will.

eestlinc
08-27-2005, 09:02 PM
Ogg Vorbis!

He sounds like a Viking Conqueror therefore he wins.

Lindy
08-27-2005, 09:06 PM
My MP3 player is all "What is Ogg? Baby don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more"

It's annoying.

eestlinc
08-27-2005, 09:07 PM
yea, I know. Krissy sent me some OGG files and I can't listen to them. But if I could then I could go conquer a bunch of northern islands.

Lindy
08-27-2005, 09:12 PM
I am Ogg Vorbis! Son of Bergelmir the Giant One! Destroyer of lands! Sacker of cities! Lord of lossless compression formats!

Endless
08-27-2005, 09:53 PM
yea, I know. Krissy sent me some OGG files and I can't listen to them. But if I could then I could go conquer a bunch of northern islands.

Use a converter? Then the world is yours.

GrimmReaper
08-27-2005, 10:04 PM
ogg vorbis all the way. *nods*