PDA

View Full Version : Did Everyone Dislike CC ?

Dreddz
08-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Ive been playing this game for a bit now ( got to shadow forest )
And I think its great, but people dislike it. I mean, it got 10 out of 10 in Gamespot
Thats something, Personally, I would give it a 9, but peopole put it down because of the large cast of characters

Thoughts ?

( Swap Magic Rocks )

Necronopticous
08-27-2005, 01:00 AM
I loved it, personally.

Medi
08-27-2005, 01:32 AM
I thought it was one of the best games ever.

G SpOtZ
08-27-2005, 01:36 AM
there were a lot of characters, but the thing is, there also tons of paths to choose that determine which characters you can get, which gives motive to play new game + so you can use the chrono cross to get the characters from previous files, and it's like a goal to try to get every single one. so i don't think that makes it bad at all. of course, the character development isn't THAT great i guess, but they always come into the story every once in awhile, for maybe side quests and things. the game was really great, sooo many things to do, and very hard to get bored of. thas my opinion at least.

TurkSlayer
08-27-2005, 02:48 AM
I love this game. Playing the game over and using different characters from the time before, to learn more about them and such. Great game, I think.

Masamune·1600
08-27-2005, 03:36 AM
Chrono Cross was an amazing game. One of my top five favorites, actually. The complexity of the story was nothing short of brilliant, the gameplay was innovative, the artistic style really added to the atmosphere, and Mitsuda's score is probably my favorite in any game.

Sephex
08-27-2005, 08:15 AM
People didn't like it becuase it wasn't a carbon copy of Chrono Trigger. That happens a lot these days. People claim they want change and innovation, but when they get it, people usually bitch that "whatever" isn't like the original "whatever". Hell, if Chrono Cross was too similar to Trigger, people would have bitched, too. There are far too many cynics in gaming, but that's a different thread.

Anyway, I loved Cross.

ShunNakamura
08-27-2005, 10:36 AM
I also liked this game, I would give it a 8 or 9 out of 10. Mainly due to the fact that the characters aren't developed as well as I'd like.

Great game and while lacking somewhat in one department it does a good job making up for it(as in I still got attached to several characters and learned to hate several characters. And it wasn't even due to their power :P). But yeah the game was also a tad easy... wished thier was a higher difficulty level.. particually for new game+. But I really liked that fast forward option!

Wiegrahf42
08-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Is it Xenogears or Final Fantasy tactics? no. But is it an excellent game. Oh yes. The problem is that like all sequals it is doomed to be compared to it's legendary predecessor. The great paradox of CC is that if you play CT you will compare CC to it and think it isn't is good. But if you haven't played CT you will not appreciate all the refrences. My one problem is that they crammed all the exposition onto the second disk.

cookieface
08-28-2005, 12:50 AM
Yea, it was another case of name lame. Coudln't live up to it's name for the CT fans. And I used to be a rabid CT fan. Not that I changed my mind, but I played that game so much for so long, that I could never look at it ever again. When I tried Cross, it bored me. I never played it all the way through. I'm sure it all had to do with CT.
And incidentally, I hardly had any problem with the originally named Square releases, and those RPGs of other companies that were fresh names. Not saying I loved them all, but at least they kept my intrest.

Stop naming games the same as others just to sell the name when the game is too different AND unrelated. I'd rather see different games openly than trying to inject a known name into a new game.

SomethingBig
08-28-2005, 05:17 AM
People didn't like it becuase it wasn't a carbon copy of Chrono Trigger.
How was it a thing like Trigger?
CT:
~ 7 unique characters with very intricate back stories.
~ ATB
~ Learned Techs
~ Not field magic system
~ Traveled through time and things you did affected certain outcomes
~ Battle system consisted of Attack, Techs, and Items

CC:
~ 40 unnecessary characters who could have all been skipped
~ Not ATB
~ Bought skills, learned a few techs
~ Field magic system
~ Traveled between dimensions
~ Battle system was more complicated than CT's

Anyway, I liked CC for the first 20 hours. Good fun, it was. Afterwards, it just got way repetitive.I honestly don't know how CC got a 10 on Gamespot, as that's putting it up there with Ocarina of Time.

Sepho
08-28-2005, 09:00 AM
That's what's he's sayin'.

And I'm a big fan of CC.

XxSephirothxX
08-31-2005, 02:46 AM
I thought Chrono Cross had one of the most throught-provoking and amazing stories of any game I've ever played. I didn't like the battle system that much, but it was well made, and overall it was a fantastic game.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-31-2005, 04:52 AM
I thought Chrono Cross had one of the most throught-provoking and amazing stories of any game I've ever played. I didn't like the battle system that much, but it was well made, and overall it was a fantastic game.
exactly. the storyline was very well thought out. but truthfully, when I compare it to CT, CT fails miserably. CT wasnt intricate enough for me. The characters were great, but it seemed to me more repetitive thatn CC. I have to agree with most everyone else that the only thing wrong with CC was the lack of character in most characters. But I still thin Pip rocks.

G SpOtZ
08-31-2005, 05:21 AM
exactly. the storyline was very well thought out. but truthfully, when I compare it to CT, CT fails miserably. CT wasnt intricate enough for me. The characters were great, but it seemed to me more repetitive thatn CC. I have to agree with most everyone else that the only thing wrong with CC was the lack of character in most characters. But I still thin Pip rocks.
pip DOES rock! YEAH!

MoonsEcho
08-31-2005, 06:06 AM
I loved the game too, and I liked the large character cast. As some have said already, several of the characters could have used more development (okay, a lot of them could've), but I loved it nonetheless. Nice to be able to have more than 5-8 characters to choose from. I thought the ending battles were too easy, but I really, really loved the game.

Super Christ
08-31-2005, 11:56 PM
I loved Chrono Cross, it's my third favorite game ever. That being said, it could've been a lot better.

edczxcvbnm
09-01-2005, 12:08 AM
The game had a great battle system that allowed the player to develop a lot of stratgy. I had forgot about upgrading my equipment...since the start of the game so about midway through playing as lynx it became hard as hell. Thanks to the power of diminish I was able to over come the bosses in my path until I remembered about armor and stuff.

Excellent game in all respects. Could it have used more character development? I guess but a lot of their story came in the side quests like Dario. For most of them it would be like complaining Umaro didn't have enough of a back story. They were just there for the fuck of it.

Rostum
09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
I love Chrono Cross. =)

Sephex
09-01-2005, 07:33 AM
CT:
~ ATB
~ Learned Techs
~ Not field magic system

CC:
~ Not ATB
~ Field magic system

Anyway, I liked CC for the first 20 hours. Good fun, it was. Afterwards, it just got way repetitive.I honestly don't know how CC got a 10 on Gamespot, as that's putting it up there with Ocarina of Time.

Um, that's what I was saying man! :) I was saying that I thought people didn't like it because it wasn't like Trigger. I never said that Cross and Trigger were similar. I did say that if they were, people would have probably bitched at that too!

EDIT:

For most of them it would be like complaining Umaro didn't have enough of a back story.

Ah, but Umaro has a HUGE backstory. He was Mog's friend and he makes you think that Gogo is the better secret character. Also, he has white fur and is a good friend of Belto Maxson (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1287257&postcount=32).

Reeno the Alchemist
09-11-2005, 12:57 AM
HHHHHIHIHI

CT:
~ ATB
~ Learned Techs
~ Not field magic system

CC:
~ Not ATB
~ Field magic system

Um, that's what I was saying man! :) I was saying that I thought people didn't like it because it wasn't like Trigger. I never said that Cross and Trigger were similar. I did say that if they were, people would have probably bitched at that too!

EDIT:

For most of them it would be like complaining Umaro didn't have enough of a back story.

Ah, but Umaro has a HUGE backstory. He was Mog's friend and he makes you think that Gogo is the better secret character. Also, he has white fur and is a good friend of Belto Maxson (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showpost.php?p=1287257&postcount=32).

I thought chrono cross was the best it was the first rpg i ever played and beat!NOTHING can be better than CC i have beaten that game 20 times and i never get tired of it.I like getting a huge supply of characters its better than using the same ol' dumb people over and over!!I love the battle system it gives you a chance to see how big your attack is,and well lets just say i love everything about that game but i guess you cant blame me i've had it for 8yrs.AND ANYONE who doesnt llike it and has a problem with me ill kick there arses so hard they'll kiss the moons!!!hehehehehehahahahahahaha!!!!1

Daryl
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
I loved it, personally.

Ditto that.

Robesphere
09-12-2005, 01:44 AM
I really liked this one. I was pretty disappointed first, cuz I played CT first and LOVED it. CC was okay first but happened to be much better than expected. Anyway.. no match to CT, I think.

cookieface
09-12-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm giving this game another chance, and started playing it again. Borrowed it from someone's stash, but I could only find disk 1. Other than the name thing, my opinion still remains much the same. It's a gimmicky game, with a weird battle system. This picking and choosing of percentages doesn't seem as involving as it tries to be. Neither does the rest of the stuff. or maybe I'm just too jaded for these games, who knows.

As far as the story and all that. It's no CT either. CT captures you from the beginning, while this game just slowly opens up at random, with the ocassional cool scene. The scenes are cool in themselves, with all that dimensional mystery, but nah. Not cool enough to bring the whole motion together. I'll go out on a limb and say it: there is no chance in hell this game is as cool as CT. It's good in itself, but it's not in the same league as far as the artistry of the overall structure. I'll probably still play it though, if I can find the other disk.

Prancing Mad
09-12-2005, 02:43 PM
I've played CT multiple times, and I can never figure out why I do. All the characters are one-dimensional, but attempt to poorly come across as 2d. I liked the batle system for it's time, but in reality, it's just the battle system of the Saga series. Maybe I would've liked it but subconsciously, I couldn't handle the 80s theme to most of the music. Ah well, I liked CC but hated ahving all those characters. Three would have sufficed if they were brought out more. But man, Serge's storyline blew me to pieces. To be honest, the only things I like about that game are the plot, and the music. I agree the battle system blows. Although it is satisfying, when beating it in NEW GaME+ that Lavos runs out of magic before you do when beating it alone. haha. That made me laugh so much

ehsteve
09-14-2005, 07:46 PM
I didn't like Chrono Cross quite as much as Chrono Trigger, but I still really liked it. The thing I liked most about it is that it made Chrono Trigger better by explaining several of the events in more detail.

Zeality
10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
I feel warm inside reading these responses. You don't know how much I have to deal with these stupid Cross haters. I recognize two real legitimate flaws in the game:

-Too many characters forced developers to cut Guile's backstory as Magus
-Spot of poor direction means a LOT of plot is dumped on you at the end of the game

but other than this, Chrono Cross took the action flick of Chrono Trigger and made it into the Chrono Series. Cross is like a refined masterpiece that you can sink your teeth in to and savor, like a fine wine. The themes of the series really blossom, and the intricacies of time travel are allowed to weave a deep plot that's completely consistent with Chrono Trigger's and expands upon it. If anyone ever tells you that "Cross is full of holes," they haven't played it.

edczxcvbnm
10-10-2005, 04:46 PM

They cut that because it was a stupid idea. They cut it early in development. The number of characters had nothing to do with the decision to completely remove him from the game. This is just another dumb rumor like the religious controversy surrounding Xenogears release in the states.

crashNUMBERS
10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
I haven't played this game yet but I would actually love to finally see a game with a hell coarse of game characters...

Zeality
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM

They cut that because it was a stupid idea. They cut it early in development. The number of characters had nothing to do with the decision to completely remove him from the game. This is just another dumb rumor like the religious controversy surrounding Xenogears release in the states.

GamePro, 2002:

Masato Kato: To let the cat out of the bag, in the early stages of development, Guile was indeed meant to be Magus. In our original plan, the true identity of Guile was supposed to be Magus after the events in Trigger. (At the end of Trigger, Magus [a.k.a. Janus in Trigger and Magil in Radical Dreamers] disappeared into a Time Gate to go searching for his big sister, Schala, who was lost somewhere in time.) However, as the game's development progressed and we decided to use such a huge number of playable characters, we decided not to make him be Magus. We thought it was impossible to portray the relationship between Magus and Schala adequately in this game. So we changed tracks, made the colors of the Magus character design paler, and turned him into Guile, the magician. In a way, it's a pity, as I really would like to have seen the valiant figure of Magus come to life again.

Skarr
10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm shocked that some of you found cc unable to live up to ct. I personally loved cc. It has to be one of the best psx games. One shouldn't judge such an awesome game. I think it lived up to ct, but hey, that's just me. To me its a good game, and that's all that should matter.

zanias
10-16-2005, 03:27 AM
i was just talkin to a friend about chrono cross.. he said that he got to garai on the isle of the damned then gave up cuz he was too powerful for him.. i was shocked about ths.. then realized that garai.. was in fact really hard for me to kill as well. its becaus of the cary over stats on new games once you beat it thing that makes him seem easy now

when i first got chrono cross, i couldnt get enough of it.. i had been playin it with my friend (different friend) for about a week and decided to buy it... we were stuck in vipor manor, sadly enough, cuz we didnt realize that we had to talk to the wall that had the elevator code thingy posted on it.. i figured that out on accident..

all i can say really.. is that chrono cross is one of my favorite games.. i cant get enough of it.. all the theories and stuff ive made with friends concerning the game.. good times ^_^

Reeno the Alchemist
10-22-2005, 07:14 PM
yes i am here again to talk about cc lol. Chrono Cross is the best of the best. Im very angry because CC srtoped working and now i cant play it! Buttttt i got a used one thats really old and has pictures of Kid and serge on the cove of the disk but people dont know how to take care of disks and now it skips like crazy so if anyone has a mirical disk cleaner please let me barrow it:( :cry: :choc2: I LOVE CHRONO CROSS ROCK ON WHOOOOOOO

Yumil1988
10-23-2005, 02:35 PM
I thought it was ok. The battle system was pretty unique and I enjoyed using it, but the story and characters just didn't pull me in the way Chrono Trigger did. I was bored with it after I was just a couple levels into the game.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2005, 08:01 AM
CC is one of probably a half-dozen games I can support a 10/10 rating for. It is sublime beyond words in every aspect I can think of.

I'm usually more surprised that people rate CT up with CC, than vice-versa. CT is great, but to me it's just great. It wasn't a revolutionary new experience, and it didn't set the bar a damn sight higher for everything that came later.

ElectricViking78
11-12-2005, 08:45 AM
I am currently enjoying the frick out of Chrono Cross. I thought somebody had stolen it from my room for about a month and I was almost to the point of going about in burlap and laying in ashes. Then I found it behind my amp and all was right with the world.

Aurora_sword
11-23-2005, 12:14 AM
Its my sister's favourite game beside FF6 so I guess not everyone dislike CC

BlueMageOne
11-23-2005, 08:53 PM
To me, CC wasn't that great. The tech and equipment system was seriously lacking- nothing new there. The game was random enough to be frustrating if you weren't paying attention (especially if you aren't good at memorizing dates) and the characters out and out sucked. Fun to use, but half of them always sat idle, and most of them never said anything worth my attention. I don't see how CC can earn itself a 10 out of 10 when you don't even have a central party of characters to concentrate on. The main character doesn't talk so, you know there's next to nothing in terms of character development when the hero has nothing to say in the entire game. The music was okay for me- I still get chills when I hear Chronopolis (possibly one of my favouritist' game tracks ev0r) but nothing outstanding. The only thing that redeems CC for me is the storyline and how it ties into CT. If it was a stand-alone, I wouldn't have rented it twice.

I probably only like it cuz of Zeality and his awesome plotline analysis over at gamefaq >>

?????
11-25-2005, 05:25 AM
Chrono Cross was nothing short of a masterpiece. And clearly it's not as hated as some would like you to believe, seeing as it made Greatest Hits and garnered overwhelmingly positive reviews.

dragoonknight_kain
11-27-2005, 09:12 PM
Great game, though the ending and battle system could've been better.

Aeon
12-10-2005, 05:57 AM
i LOVE Chrono Cross
i liked it better than Trigger and yes i've played an beat Trigger
AND Radical Dreamers
Chrono Cross i think has one of the best storys ever

UWAOOOOU
12-11-2005, 05:35 PM
Did everyone dislike it? Everyone adored and loved it.

raskerino
12-12-2005, 03:01 AM
I think it's more a case of people comparing it negatively to CT. Also it seems like a decent # of people love it just not enought have played it. Amazing game. Oh, and I could be wrong about not many having played it.

xtreme112
12-12-2005, 03:38 AM
I've always wanted to play that game, it looked soooooo awesome, but I've never actually seen it in stores...ever :(

cloud20747
12-12-2005, 04:46 AM
I loved that games except when u do new game too many times and the kill all the dragons thing gets annoying. Other than that loved Cross and Trigger

Crossblades
12-12-2005, 03:05 PM
I like Chrono Cross, but I think Chrono Trigger is better

Slothy
12-12-2005, 05:45 PM
I liked the game though I've never actually gotten around to beating it. I thought the battle system was pretty good, and the world itself was cool to explore, but lack of any really compelling characters drags it down a few notches for me. There was just so little character development that I didn't really care about most of my characters, which also hurts the story a bit for me. I think the game would have been better served by having about half as many characters and developing them all better. I certainly couldn't put this ahead of Chrono Trigger, since CT was a more unique and creative experience when it was released than this game turned out to be. CC's still great though.

FinalDragoon06
12-12-2005, 11:35 PM
I'm shocked that some of you found cc unable to live up to ct. I personally loved cc. It has to be one of the best psx games. One shouldn't judge such an awesome game. I think it lived up to ct, but hey, that's just me. To me its a good game, and that's all that should matter.

I agree. And it's also one of the only games to actually look good in a GH package! :p

Lord Jaroh
12-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Crono Cross is a great game. It is far better than any of the latest Final Fantasies (7 and up, barring Tactics) that got made on the PS or PS2. I wish Squenix would make more games like this one, or as good as this one is. Someday maybe. One of my favorite RPGs of all time.