PDA

View Full Version : Ultima vs. Merton...

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Which one is better?

I actually think Merton is the best magic in the game.
Sure, Ultima does deal some heavy damage to all opponents, but Merton does too, and you get healed from it if you have the Flame equipment.
Itīs just like Doomsday in FF9; equip absorbing stuff and you get healed instead.
I think this is a pretty even "battle", so start voting!

Dreddz
08-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I like Ultima.........

Captain Maxx Power
08-28-2005, 12:26 PM
Somewhat irrelevant, since I always get Economizers all round.

ThroneofDravaris
08-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Voting? But there's no poll...

I say Ultima, because you don't have to kill 8 optional bosses to get it!

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Voting? But there's no poll...I dunno how to create these polls. Does anyone know in here?

ThroneofDravaris
08-28-2005, 02:54 PM
There's a box that you need to check at the bottom of the post that will bring up a "create poll" screen after you've pressed "post"

Christmas
08-28-2005, 03:15 PM
Ultima deal non elemental damage to enemies which nothing can prevent them from getting hurt.

While Merton deal fire damage which doesn't affect some enemies.

Also, you have to specifically wear fire absorbing gears to use Merton while for Ultima, you can wear any gear you want.

But it is a good thing it can heal you as well as damage the enemies.

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 04:04 PM
Ultima deal non elemental damage to enemies which nothing can prevent them from getting hurt.

While Merton deal fire damage which doesn't affect some enemies.

Also, you have to specifically wear fire absorbing gears to use Merton while for Ultima, you can wear any gear you want.

But it is a good thing it can heal you as well as damage the enemies.Do you understand why I think this is a really even competition? ;)

Christmas
08-28-2005, 04:24 PM
Not really. I think Ultima is a better choice since you need not specifically wear fire absorbing gear and it can damage any enemies in the game.

Also, by the time you get Merton and Ultima, you should be strong enough and need not worry much about healing.

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Not really. I think Ultima is a better choice since you need not specifically wear fire absorbing gear and it can damage any enemies in the game.

Also, by the time you get Merton and Ultima, you should be strong enough and need not worry much about healing.Thatīs probably true, but I still think itīs great to have a magic that HEALS your party while DAMAGING the enemies!
And actually, you donīt need to use it against every single monster. ;)

I just think Merton is somewhat superior, considering the fact you can use it during sane circumstances
(non-fire-absorbing enemies) to deal damage and heal your party at the same time.
And Flame Shields are exactly bad, either.

tailz
08-28-2005, 05:40 PM
ye sbut dont forget there are better shields in the game then flame shield youl miss out on some defense power

KoShiatar
08-28-2005, 10:13 PM
Merton + Fire absorbing equipment is the BEST thing EVER to do in the fight vs. the Goddesses and Kefka. I mean, 9999 damage + your characters healed!
But Ultima is more useful at other places in the game, where enemies have various elemental resistances. Try going up on Fanatics Tower (or was the name Magic Tower? Where you find Strago anyway...) without Ultima, it's really hard.

Mirage
08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
Voting? But there's no poll...

I say Ultima, because you don't have to kill 8 optional bosses to get it!
Terra can learn it on her own :p

eestlinc
08-28-2005, 11:00 PM
how hard are the dragons anyway? why wouldn't you want to beat them all? Fighting the dragons is fun.

Mirage
08-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Some of them are very easy if you have the right equipments, like 4x gaia gear for dirt dragon :p. With two ice shields, the ice dragon would be a lot easier too, etcetc.

Magaso
08-29-2005, 03:04 AM
Some of them are very easy if you have the right equipments, like 4x gaia gear for dirt dragon :p. With two ice shields, the ice dragon would be a lot easier too, etcetc.

Or just Vanish+X-Zone+Gem Box if you wana be cheap.

eestlinc
08-29-2005, 04:50 AM
or just fight them normally since all the bosses in the game are simple, except maybe magi-master.

Mirage
08-29-2005, 04:59 AM

Or just Vanish+X-Zone+Gem Box if you wana be cheap.
What if I don't want to be cheap? Honestly, why even get any other magic than vanish and x-zone if that's how you plan on killing everything?

Christmas
08-29-2005, 10:26 AM
or just fight them normally since all the bosses in the game are simple, except maybe magi-master.

Ya. You know the Offering with Atma weapon combo alone is enough to kill several bosses in one or two turns....

boys from the dwarf
08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
although ultima is probbably the most poweful mahic in the game merton is much more useful.as it can do nearly as much as ultima and also heals you if you have flame shields.

ThroneofDravaris
08-29-2005, 02:38 PM
how hard are the dragons anyway? why wouldn't you want to beat them all? Fighting the dragons is fun.

I love fighting optional bosses (I was a little dissapointed that there was no super boss in FVI...) but because you have to kill all eight of them to get the spell, you might not even have time to learn it before you ight the final boss; unlike Ultima, which you can learn as long as you take the Ragnarok Esper (I didn't last time I played through, I like Swords...) so it does make Ultima slightly more useful.

boys from the dwarf
08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
the closest thing to a superboss this game offers is optional battles like the magimaster and also everyone says that brachiosaurs are near impoosible to beat but there smeggin easy.ive usually killed them before they have a chance to cast ultima.its good to use a combination of merton and ultima.if you get both of them to do 9999 damage always use merton unless its something that absorbs fire but by the time you get them both no bosses will be fire absorbers and the enemys that absord it will be easy anyway.if ultima does more damage than merton though use a combination.

Peter_20
08-29-2005, 07:33 PM
the closest thing to a superboss this game offers is optional battles like the magimaster and also everyone says that brachiosaurs are near impoosible to beatI like to think of Doom Gaze as a superboss; it does take some time to defeat him, since he "hides" on the world map all the time.

bipper
08-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Its almost like Vivi's doomsday - I beat the Necron and kuja just by healing everyround and casting doomsday with absorbant gear on :)

Ultima is better though :cool:
Bipper

Peter_20
08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
Its almost like Vivi's doomsday - I beat the Necron and kuja just by healing everyround and casting doomsday with absorbant gear on :)

Ultima is better though :cool:
BipperOFF-TOPIC: I think itīs more entertaining to have Zidane attack, Vivi use Flare,
Garnet use Curaga and Steiner use Shock. ;)

But I guess these magics in question are both equally good, just in different ways.
Merton deals heavy damage and heals your chars, Ultima deals mega-heavy damage although it doesnīt heal you.

KoShiatar
08-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Not if you have Ultima....really not. Doom Gaze was much worse for me, expecialy at lower levels.

bipper
08-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Not if you have Ultima....really not. Doom Gaze was much worse for me, expecialy at lower levels.

Vanish/Doom :eek:

Bipper

Final_Heavan_33
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
the magi master IS easy all you do is vanish and berserk as doom doesnt work, he just becomes easy then cuz he doesnt pound you with any massive spells, oh and a note to someone who said about vanish and doom right well there are some bosses such as i think it is death guise or whatever but you can fight him in the air ship, if you vanish and doom him you DO NOT get bahamut.

Ultima is better, the problem with Merton is you have to go out of your way to equip fire absorbing equipment and there ARE better things to equip, being healed as well is no big deal, besides if you REALLY want to be healed it is likely one of your other 3 characters can do it for you :) plus of course Ultima being non elemental nothing can prevent the damage.

Sasquatch
08-30-2005, 04:50 PM
...oh and a note to someone who said about vanish and doom right well there are some bosses such as i think it is death guise or whatever but you can fight him in the air ship, if you vanish and doom him you DO NOT get bahamut....

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I wish people would stop saying it. I've done Doom and X-Zone both on Doomgaze, and BOTH of them have left me with Bahamut. Nothing I've done prevents me from getting Bahamut. I've never beaten Doomgaze, with any method, without getting Bahamut. Never. Never ever ever.

Peter_20
08-30-2005, 05:36 PM
or just fight them normally since all the bosses in the game are simple, except maybe magi-master.Magimaster is EASY.
There is a strategy that guarantees victory, you know: just use Golem, and cast Berserk on him.
Now heīll only use physical attacks, which are all blocked by Golem. :p
Then, cast Life3 on everyone and just hammer away. :D

KoShiatar
09-01-2005, 09:55 PM
I never used Vanish/Doom, but in my version spell names were different, so I never really understood which spells I should have used.

Final_Heavan_33
09-02-2005, 04:53 PM
...oh and a note to someone who said about vanish and doom right well there are some bosses such as i think it is death guise or whatever but you can fight him in the air ship, if you vanish and doom him you DO NOT get bahamut....

THIS IS NOT TRUE. I wish people would stop saying it. I've done Doom and X-Zone both on Doomgaze, and BOTH of them have left me with Bahamut. Nothing I've done prevents me from getting Bahamut. I've never beaten Doomgaze, with any method, without getting Bahamut. Never. Never ever ever.
and exactly which version of the game did you play the Snes version or the PS version hmm?

Sasquatch
09-02-2005, 05:19 PM
and exactly which version of the game did you play the Snes version or the PS version hmm?

Both. Many, many times. And I never remember not getting Bahamut, even when I used Vanish/Doom or Vanish/X-Zone.

bipper
09-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Way to be; I get it every time on my snes version :)
I am cheap, but i hate the way tthe thing looks lol, en he attacks me when I am weak... FEEL MY CHAP FURY!

Bipper