PDA

View Full Version : FF2: Ultima...

Peter_20
08-28-2005, 02:05 PM
Simple question:
does Ultima belong to the white or black magic in FF2?
I´ve seen magic lists from this game that think of it as a white magic *points to the list on this very site*.
http://www.eyesonff.com/ff2/Magic%20-%20White.shtml
Sure, I also think Ultima for some reason feels "lighter" and "holier" than dark stuff like Death, Frog and Flare,
but still... is it white magic in this game?

Christmas
08-28-2005, 02:09 PM
It is White magic in this game.

DarkLadyNyara
08-29-2005, 02:21 AM
It isn't white or black (though it raises spirit). It's power depends on weapon and spell levels.

Sefie1999AD
08-29-2005, 09:37 AM
It's White Magic (white light appears around your character when you cast it, not dark green), but casting it raises Intelligence, which is more typical for black magic spells. However, Ultima gets its power from all your other stats and levels. It's very hard to make it do any decent damage, so I usually just prefer spells like Holy and Flare.

Fireblade13
08-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Weopen and spell no wonder I need to get all my other stats up.

rubah
08-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Has anyone actually proven what it takes to make ultima work?

I will wait for DJZen's word on this matter.

DJZen
08-30-2005, 04:40 AM
Someone said something about the effectiveness of Ultima in DoS being based on the levels of your magic skills and weapon skills. In the Famicom version, it's definitely not that, but what that is I have no idea.

Ultima has always been white magic. Always. If anyone says otherwise, slap them. The game doesn't consider it an attack spell. Every spell has a byte attached to it that determines the spell type. There's one for attack, one for status change (battle), one for status change (permanent), one for insta-death, one for basically every function a spell can have in the game. Ultima has its own unique one, so it's not an attack spell like fire/blizzard/thunder. It's just an Ultima type spell, and I have no idea what that means. It does have a value that seems to be its damage rating (just for reference, it's higher than any attack spell). As far as what makes it tick in the Famicom version, I have no idea. Kawaii Ryukishi claims that in his game it's always his most powerful spell. In my game I couldn't even get it to go over 250 and I was hacking it at the time.

Captain Maxx Power
08-30-2005, 11:59 AM
After much careful play testing, scenario-editing and various other experiments, we came to the conclusion that Ultima is some crazy-ass *explitive deleted*

DJZen
08-30-2005, 08:07 PM
And like elemental weapons in FFI, it probably doesn't work.

Fireblade13
08-30-2005, 09:22 PM
I want my minwu back!