PDA

View Full Version : Webcomic Hosting

Behold the Void
08-28-2005, 09:54 PM
I'm looking for a good webcomic host, one that is either free or relatively cheap. I'm willing to pay about $20 a month maximum at the moment. Does anybody know of any? My major criteria is one that allows for enough bandwith and space to upload a decent comic, and the secondary criteria is one with a decent enough reputation to not make the webcomic immediately disregarded as a total joke.

XxSephirothxX
08-28-2005, 10:01 PM
If you're willing to pay 20 bucks a month, which would add up to 240 a year, you may as well get your own domain. You could get 40+ gigabytes of transfer a month and plenty of space for 100-120 a year.

Behold the Void
08-28-2005, 10:06 PM
I'd considered getting my own site but I'm not sure if my friend and I (it's a joint venture) would be able to get the site into a webcomic format. However, it is certainly something to consider, but unfortunately I'm woefully inept at such a things. Can you make any recommendations as far as procuring a domain?

XxSephirothxX
08-28-2005, 10:12 PM
I have a ProLogic plan with Startlogic (http://www.startlogic.com). To be honest, I don't know exaclty how good a host they are, as I've never had another one. However, there's very little down time, and you get tons of space and bandwidth for only $7.50 a month (on the Prologic plan; others vary in price.) It has a fairly easy-to-use and effective management system called vDeck (http://www.vdeck.com) which would allow you to upload pages, view statistics, manage your database, etc. What, exactly, are you thinking you'd need for a "webcomic format?" It's probably pretty easy to design with HTML, but I have no knowledge in that area. :D

Behold the Void
08-28-2005, 10:17 PM
My friend might be able to handle the HTML but I know that I can't. Basically, the webcomic needs to be able to be uploaded, I need to be able to have an archive (preferably with some sort of page number system), and something that allows people to advance the pages, both one forward, one backwards, to the beginning, and to the end.

Aside from that the major requirement is the afforementioned bandwith and space. I'll have to check those ones out though, they may have what I need.

Sepho
08-28-2005, 10:54 PM
When you've got the overall layout figured out, there are a number of auto-update comic scripts out there. Check out <a href="http://cusp.sourceforge.net/">CUSP</a>, which is a comic site PHP backend that Nuklear Power uses.

I haven't ever had a comic site so I've never used it, but it seems to be pretty functional.

XxSephirothxX
08-29-2005, 01:06 AM
Also, if you're interested in using php to program your site, which is what CUSP seems to be based on, I have a eBook copy of "PHP for Dummies" I could send to you. I'm assuming you (or your friend) don't have much experience in coding, and neither do I, so it could very well prove helpful.

Shoeberto
08-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Have you tried Keenspace?

Master Quan
08-29-2005, 07:51 PM
Best site for web sites. Period.

http://www.servage.net/

Yamaneko
08-29-2005, 08:46 PM
And they must be down 50% of the time because for that money you're probably getting a server hooked up to a DSL modem.

I don't know exactly what you need, but I have loads of space I don't use. I could set you up with 500MB space and 10GB of bandwidth to start with and have your own CP, email, mySQL databases, etc.

Master Quan
08-29-2005, 09:05 PM
And they must be down 50% of the time because for that money you're probably getting a server hooked up to a DSL modem.

Uh....no?

Samuraid
08-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Their IP is located in Germany...

They may provide reasonable hosting services, but I wouldn't personally use them since transatlantic data transit picks up a bit of latency. (I live in CA, and the ping looks to be about 200ms which is slow compared to 75ms for EoFF and other sites)

If you lived in Europe and wanted to host a site primarily for a European audience however, servage.net would remain a possibility.

Master Quan
08-30-2005, 09:23 PM
Anyone who can't be bothered to wait 200ms for a webpage as opposed to 75ms is an absolute fool.

Behold the Void
08-30-2005, 09:36 PM
I have tried Keenspace, or Comic Genesis, more precisely. The submission I made does not appear to have gone through, I may try it again before giving up on them.

As I live in the United States I will probably not be using servage.net, but there are some other sites I am considering as well. It's looking more likely that I'm going to need to use a paid site and set it up for the comic specifications.

As far as space, I still need to check with my artist and my techie on that. I think we were able to get the comic file down to 99 KB when we played around with it some, but I'm not sure how much more it can be shrunk. I'll ask around and get back to you on that one.

Master Quan
08-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Try http://www.dreamhost.com/

Sepho
08-31-2005, 12:22 AM
If you find what seems to be a super awesome deal (ludicrous amounts of space and bandwidth for next to nothing in monthly costs), remember that a lot of upstart web hosting companies try to win the favor of customers over older, more established businesses by offering a better deal. A lot of times, though, those newer companies fail because they can't turn a profit out their plans. Checking the 'About' page and reading a little history is a good idea.

I've lost everything before from a host that suddenly went bankrupt, and it's not good times.

Samuraid
08-31-2005, 01:09 AM
Anyone who can't be bothered to wait 200ms for a webpage as opposed to 75ms is an absolute fool.

You seem a bit jumpy all of the sudden. :rolleyes2 You are wrong though, as that sort of latency does make a difference when the traffic hits.

A friend is using dreamhost right now and it's worked out fine so far.

Behold the Void
08-31-2005, 09:14 PM
By the looks of it we'll be trying www.godaddy.com. Thanks for the link to CUSP, by the way, we'll probably also be employing that.

Master Quan
08-31-2005, 10:41 PM
...when the traffic hits.

Bwahahahahaha.

rubah
09-01-2005, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't recommend godaddy for a domain. It may only be coincidence that I lost control of the domain I had with them (although it was my first domain and I was much more badly educated than I am nowxD). But I also wouldn't recommend buying space and a domain from the same place.

namecheap.com seems to be a rather good enom reseller.

Behold the Void
09-01-2005, 05:25 AM
We're trying it out. godaddy came highly recommended by several reliable sources, so at the moment it seems our best bet.