PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a laptop

Erdrick Holmes
08-30-2005, 02:35 AM
After I move I'm gonna save up for a laptop. Can anybody recommend one for a decent price?

I'm mainly looking for something that can connect wirelessly to a router and can play some games. Maybe FFXI but if that's too much then maybe if it can play Warcaft III smoothly then I'll be satisfied.

bipper
08-30-2005, 02:42 AM
After I move I'm gonna save up for a laptop. Can anybody recommend one for a decent price?

After you save up anything i would reccommend would be kapeesh :) I would suggest Dells as they are nice. I also would suggest ubid.com or ebay.com. You can get steals of deals there :)

Dont go for all out processor speed, unless you are planning on playing games and being plugged in all day :) Its expensive, and the processors clock themselves down when they get warm or low on juice.

Have fun:D
Bipper

Bipper

Yamaneko
08-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Yeah, a gaming laptop will keep you plugged in all the time, defeating the purpose of a laptop. Either way, you'd want a Pentium M or AMD Turion 64 since they'll save you battery life when you're not doing anything system intensive. The Mobility Radeon X800 is the most powerful mobile GPU out, though quite expensive; at least 512MB of RAM, and a widescreen display is a given nowadays.

rubah
08-30-2005, 03:57 AM
HP is chucking out a line of laptops that look pretty good right now~

such as, but not limited to this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7247669&type=product&id=1115365776413

Max
08-30-2005, 04:15 AM
Get a dell ;)

Shoeberto
08-30-2005, 04:32 AM
Dell generally makes nice, all-purpose laptops for reasonable prices.

For the games you're looking to play, you really don't need the cutting edge stuff that Yams was suggesting. Middle of the line hardware should suffice. However, running games more high-end than FFXI could start getting you problems, but at that point you'd want a new desktop. Laptops really aren't made to be hardcore gaming rigs, but for those they should work reasonably well.

Hawkeye
08-30-2005, 04:41 AM
Try to avoid ebay; some if not most electronics that end up on their are refurbished

Erdrick Holmes
08-30-2005, 05:11 AM
The main reason I want a laptop is so I can easily take it to LA parties for low-mid level multi-player gaming like Warcraft III, Half Life, Quake 2 and 3, and Unreal Tournament.

MecaKane
08-30-2005, 05:27 AM
Well just log on to any computer manufactuer's website, and look at their cattolog of laptops that've been outdated for the past 3 years. :rolleyes2

Channing
08-30-2005, 09:22 AM
Dell is a very nice brand. So far I'm pleased with my laptop. I own a Dell Inspirion | 1100. If you do buy a Dell make sure you research the graphics card before purchase to avoid having to upgrade. Most of the Dell laptops lack in the visual strength for gaming.