PDA

View Full Version : FFT vs. FFT Advanced ..

DarkSideWarrior
08-31-2005, 12:34 AM
I made this same poll in the FFT forum area and was suggested to make one here for a unbias result..i like FFT much better than FFTA but your vote will be appreciated

Yuffie514
08-31-2005, 12:55 AM
i had much more fun with FFTA. FFT was a hard game, and i'm not really a fan of that. it doesn't mean that all the games i've played are easy though. a lot of the jobs i found were interesting, and i like earning Gil from extra equipment, battling different clans, taking missions...a whole bunch of goodies.

Skyblade
08-31-2005, 01:58 AM
I haven't played FFT, so I feel incapable of making a reasonable opinion on which game is better.

Bahumat
09-01-2005, 10:35 AM
Same.

tailz
09-01-2005, 11:13 AM
i cant say i havent payed tactics but i enjoyed advance greatly (especially the discussing after it :p)

Aphelion
09-01-2005, 07:11 PM
FFT was better, in my opinion.

Azure Chrysanthemum
09-01-2005, 07:56 PM
In just about every aspect, everything that FFT does FFT:A does worse. Not that FFT:A is a BAD game, mind you, but it doesn't hold a candle to FFT.

Skyblade
09-01-2005, 08:03 PM
In just about every aspect, everything that FFT does FFT:A does worse. Not that FFT:A is a BAD game, mind you, but it doesn't hold a candle to FFT.

While, as I said, I can't comment on FFT, I must think that it is a pretty awesome game, considering how good FFTA was...

BTW, are you keeping technical limitations in mind? FFT was for the Playstation, and FFTA was for the GBA...

Tama2
09-02-2005, 02:51 PM
FFT wasn't some high tech graphic beast or anythin. The graphics were only a little better. Graphics aren't gonna really matter though. FFT just seemed to be more fun and in some senses better.

Deaths_Hand
09-15-2005, 06:24 AM
FFT:Advanced was one of the biggest disapoinments I have ever experienced. I may have liked it had i never played FFT

Yuffie514
09-16-2005, 02:59 AM
i think FFTA is too underrated and looked as an underdog/living in the shadow of FFT. yea, there are bad things to point out (my opinion):

The Bad
Judges: politics and law enforcers, i never did like them...
Card System: it's stupid isn't it? well, many ppl do like a challenge...

The Good
Teaming: 'tis really fun to help out the friends...
Missions: i like it. more missions, more money...

of course in color wars, i do see Red running over Blue...

EDIT: what's the issue with the "little kids" anyway?! aren't we supposed to be somewhat open to all characters, male or female, human or anti-hero?

§håd0w
09-29-2005, 09:16 PM
It's not Tactics, but hey... it's a portable game. You can't expect the same difficulty that FFT had. Little kids are probably gonna be playing FFTA. Meh, FFTA is good for school.

Dreddz
09-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Im about 3/4 through FFT and I prefer it :)

Roogle
09-30-2005, 02:09 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics was the better game, in my opinion. I say it because I'm more inclined to like games with a serious nature, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance doesn't fit that specification. There were instances in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance that could have been taken more seriously, but weren't, and I would have liked to see more storyline presence within that game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is more linear and fits my playing style, but I like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a lot, too.

Skyblade
09-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics was the better game, in my opinion. I say it because I'm more inclined to like games with a serious nature, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance doesn't fit that specification. There were instances in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance that could have been taken more seriously, but weren't, and I would have liked to see more storyline presence within that game.

Final Fantasy Tactics is more linear and fits my playing style, but I like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a lot, too.

FFTA had plenty of serious storyline! You must not have read my old thread discussing the seriousness of the events in FFTA...

ThroneofDravaris
09-30-2005, 08:43 PM
Yeah, and people think FFVI is a serious game as well...

*dies laughing*

Primus Inter Pares
09-30-2005, 08:47 PM
And some people read far too deeply into FFV :cool:

*dies laughing*

ThroneofDravaris
09-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Way to far deeply?

EDIT:

And some people read far too deeply into FFV

*dies laughing*

Lol, your attempt to cover your tracks failed dismally...

Primus Inter Pares
09-30-2005, 08:55 PM
You can talk (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1328702&postcount=38)

ThroneofDravaris
09-30-2005, 08:57 PM
There’s a difference between spelling and grammar, but whatever…

Primus Inter Pares
09-30-2005, 09:01 PM
Way to far deeply?

EDIT:

And some people read far too deeply into FFV

*dies laughing*

Lol, your attempt to cover your tracks failed dismally...
I do believe that "too" is correct...

ThroneofDravaris
09-30-2005, 09:04 PM
...but..I corrected...PiP....spanish....

*dies*

Bowser
10-01-2005, 01:09 AM
OKAY PEOPLE, back to the topic.

Personally, I don't think FFTA holds much of a chance against FFT. I just finished FFTA, and I don't excectly know why the main characters are 3rd graders. The music made me want to rip my hair out. :love: I think I actually heard a remix of the "Happy Half-Birthday" song from "Alice in Wonderland" as one of the battle theme. It wasn't half bad. :blahblah:

Monster Hunt
10-11-2005, 10:47 AM
I don't care what anyone says.... GOOOOOO FFTA!... ...... .....................................
Which reminds me I forgot to vote...

Crossblades
10-11-2005, 08:59 PM
I like both FFT games, but I find FFTA more enjoyable to play with

Cruise Control
10-11-2005, 09:05 PM
Tactics Advance owns.

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-12-2005, 05:39 AM
Tactics Advance owns.

Yet even in this forum, Tactics is still winning by a wide margin. Imagine that :)

Monster Hunt
10-12-2005, 10:15 AM
Not many people cares in this part of the forum boards (Well I do!!!!!!) , Behold the Void be careful the FFTA fans might attack you... I think... except me!

Azure Chrysanthemum
10-12-2005, 03:54 PM
You're welcome to try. I know full well that Tactics is a superior game for serious strategy RPG fans, and there's nothing you guys can say to prove me wrong :)

Monster Hunt
10-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Err... did I say tactics was bad?... SORRYSORRYSORRYSORRYSORRY!!!!

Carmilla
10-26-2005, 04:45 PM
I enjoyed Advance a great deal but what really killed it for me was the judge and card system. Having magic AND fight disallowed for a battle was just too much for me. Especially when the enemies never seem to break the rules, and when they do they dont even get punished. :mog:

Skyblade
10-26-2005, 06:00 PM
I enjoyed Advance a great deal but what really killed it for me was the judge and card system. Having magic AND fight disallowed for a battle was just too much for me. Especially when the enemies never seem to break the rules, and when they do they dont even get punished. :mog:

The only enemies that break the rules are the bosses, and they don't get punished because they are immune (those stupid jerks). However, if you really want to frell the enemy over, face monsters with a beastmaster when Fight is not allowed. Have Monster A attack Monster B twice. Monster A will be removed from the battle, and Monster B will be injured/dead.

Casper
11-12-2005, 03:08 AM
I'd say Advance 'cos I've never been able to play FFT...Wasn't released in New Zealand :(

vampirepiggyhunter7
11-18-2005, 03:30 AM
I don't like FFT because I can never bear to see any of my chars. die:mad: , so I've barely played it...

PS why the hell am I watching Yugioh GX....?

drazelian
01-23-2006, 09:25 PM
definatly ffta

Death Penalty
01-24-2006, 01:39 AM
FFTA was the game for me

Awesomeman
01-24-2006, 08:51 AM
FFT because you had to think to beat it.

*~Endless Night~*
01-27-2006, 08:18 PM
I've only played ffta and hardly even any of that...maybe ive not played it enough but the story just bored me, like it was kinda predictable "oh kid wishes to be in fave video game...oh look surprise surprise kis IS in video game world...." maybe i just didnt play it enough?

Medi
01-28-2006, 01:34 AM
I definitely have to go with Final Fantasy Tactics on this one. They were both good, but in my opinion, Final Fantasy Tactics had a much better feel and atmosphere to it.

TheBrent
02-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I like FFTA better, I like the Viera's they wern't in FFT, and FFT was way too short, I beat it fast enough to get my money back on the warrenty. Also, shouldn't this be in General Final Fantasy?

materia_master
02-22-2006, 02:43 AM
FFT:Advanced was one of the biggest disapoinments I have ever experienced. I may have liked it had i never played FFT
You took the words out of my mouth.

Rydia
02-23-2006, 10:44 AM
FFTA. Because FFT wasn't released in England ;_;

Marche
02-24-2006, 12:01 AM
ffta since I never played fft

Llednar Twem
02-24-2006, 12:03 AM
FFTA cuz I like the playing field, reminds me of -MOO!-

TheBrent
02-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Moo?

vampirepiggyhunter7
02-25-2006, 07:17 PM
I personally cant stand when RPG chars permanantly die. I like FFTA more.

Skyblade
02-25-2006, 08:05 PM
I personally cant stand when RPG chars permanantly die. I like FFTA more.

Then stay out of the Jagds...

Llednar Twem
02-25-2006, 09:35 PM
Then stay out of the Jagds...
There only are 2-3 Jagds!
The only time you HAVE to go there to engage is on Nono's missions!

Skyblade
02-25-2006, 10:05 PM
There only are 2-3 Jagds!
The only time you HAVE to go there to engage is on Nono's missions!

And a couple more times if you want to complete all the missions, since several more of them take place in the Jagds. Also, once you free all areas, the Jagds will be the places which almost always get attacked after that, so in order to keep them all free you will have to do quite a few Jagd battles.

Marche
02-25-2006, 11:18 PM
I dont like the jagds but most of the missions where you have to go there are easier since theres the provided risk

Llednar Twem
02-26-2006, 12:59 AM
Jadgs are dumbe!

Marche
02-26-2006, 01:46 AM
yea they are but sicne you cant run from clan battles there (I think)

Llednar Twem
02-26-2006, 01:54 AM
You think, but do you know?

Roto13
02-26-2006, 04:47 AM
FFT was way too unbalanced. I mean, you'd go into one of those areas with multiple battles, then you'd fight two normal fights, and one that you can't possibly win. And god forbid you only have one save file for those places. You're screwed because you can't leave. FFT was kind of buggy, too. The translation was passable at best and the story was convoluted. What kind of a good story needs pages and pages of notes to go along with it? I know it was to give the whole thing a history book feel, but history is boring :p

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is just a better game.

Ramza Beoulve
03-23-2006, 02:10 AM
FFT. No more.

Monster Hunt
03-23-2006, 06:42 AM
FFT was way too unbalanced. I mean, you'd go into one of those areas with multiple battles, then you'd fight two normal fights, and one that you can't possibly win. And god forbid you only have one save file for those places. You're screwed because you can't leave. FFT was kind of buggy, too. The translation was passable at best and the story was convoluted. What kind of a good story needs pages and pages of notes to go along with it? I know it was to give the whole thing a history book feel, but history is boring :p

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is just a better game.

*hero*. True true true. but FFT doesn't sound bad but I still like FFTA better!

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
FFT was way too unbalanced. I mean, you'd go into one of those areas with multiple battles, then you'd fight two normal fights, and one that you can't possibly win. And god forbid you only have one save file for those places. You're screwed because you can't leave. FFT was kind of buggy, too. The translation was passable at best and the story was convoluted. What kind of a good story needs pages and pages of notes to go along with it? I know it was to give the whole thing a history book feel, but history is boring

The fights you can't possibly win are the rare battles (which are possible to win, incidentally) and can only be accessed by entering a battlefield form a certain direction (i.e. Mandalia Plains from Thieves' Fort).

And those "pages and pages" of notes are supplementary material which gives in-depth information without devoting a crapload of gametime to presentation. I rather like it, as only people willing to read will understand the situations more and people who don't will feel the story has more holes than it really does. The no-run option kicks both ways, but I think if you ask any FFT diehard, they'll say that not being able to flee isn't so bad once its accepted as the norm.

Personally, in regard to FFTA, I felt it was a childized version of its predecessor and rather unfit to carry the same title. It devoted twenty-four episodes out of three hundred to the plot, its characters were actually middle-school kids (which nixes adult/serious situations which were used to high effect in the PSX game), and was way more broken than Orlandu. At least there was only one of him; I trotted around with Steal:Ability and five Assassins and creamed everyone. It's moot that one doesn't have to use them, but from what's offered, FFTA definitely goes for a port that's accessible and aimed at a certain demographic which is why I find it rather inferior as a strategy game, too.

Monster Hunt
03-23-2006, 08:54 AM
I think I still like FFTA. I mean i'm getting sick of people saying some games are "childish". FFTA isn't totally childish. I mean does all games have to be for adults and be so hard and serious? Also FFTA is just as good of a strategy game as FFT, probably. I mean, some people haven't done everything in both games and judge them.

FFT- i'm sure it's a good game, after all it's by the same makers... but FFTA is just something different! It totally rocks! If it's a you say it's a dissapointment- I hope you've done heaps (as in finished the game) as in- Spoiler-got your characters to level fifty, battled all clans, got all the turf, got Cid, Got all the special characters, finished all missions, mastered at least one job per every character . I mean, personally, after everything I still like tactics advance!

The most high lighted thing about FFTA is the fact that it's portable!!! You can play it any where! If you want the big screen on TV to play it on, go get yourself a game cube and a gameboy player! Play it on the bus, school/uni/collage/work/blah blah blah, it saves you from boredom. One great thing you can't deny!

Anyway sorry for blabbering on- I'm bored,
Hunt

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 09:46 PM
I just don't see how it's feasible to say that FFTA isn't childish (not that it's completely stupid, however). It's game is acted out by children, the art is almost stylistically kiddie, the plot is watered down at best, and the game is just kind of cartoony (not whimsical, really). Not saying it's complete trash, but I don't think it's very different -- Tactics Ogre Gaiden did it better, and even a game I hate like Golden Sun I'd have to elevate above it. As a portable standalone game, it's mediocre; comparing it in-series really gives it a beating. I spent 200 hours on it and I think my opinion is at least well-formed in that degree; not because I'm a diehard FFT fan, but because I'm a die hard strategy RPG'r.

Have you played FFT?

Roto13
03-23-2006, 09:56 PM
I've beaten both. Twice. Each. I prefer FFTA, as I stated above. Now, as for the art style, you can't possibly tell me you prefer FFT's art. They look like Mr. Potato Heads! Just a basic mold with some random features from a box thrown on there.

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 10:11 PM
I do, in fact, prefer FFT's art because it looks like classical time period art. People wear plain dresses, regal men carry swords, there's no fancifiul regalia or bright colors for show -- they're akin to actual portraits. FFTA's art looks like comic strip characters, mostly because they're the opposite of FFTA's style: flamboyant colors, exaggerated features, and they all look like kids. I may hate the game a little more because I favor the original, but when it comes to the art, it's quite clear to me that there are two different styles. I prefer the "adult" kind.

And I don't see how anything looks like "Mr. Potato Head," either. Even the summon art is different from the characters', and even I wouldn't go so far as to say that FFTA's art looks like a simple cut-and-paste job.

Roto13
03-23-2006, 10:36 PM
That's because it doesn't. If you take away any two characters hair or beard in FFT, though, their faces look the same.

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Anyone's bare faces are going to look remotely similar if you strip them of their individual features. :rolleyes2

Roto13
03-23-2006, 10:51 PM
There are more "individual features" for most characters than just hair. If you take Marche's hair away, and take Mewt's hair away, they still don't look the same.

Shotgunnova
03-23-2006, 11:04 PM
You pointed out faces initially, and of course kids' faces are going to look different innately than adults -- the former doesn't have beards or mustaches, so they'll have to have some other feature. Marche has rosy cheeks, Mewt's dream character has a big eye tattoo on his forehead, etc.; the same would apply to FFT, since not every character has a beard or a weird coif that's their entire appearance. Goltana's head doesn't look like Dycedarg's; Zalbag's head doesn't look like Larg's;

Also, keep in mind that FFT characters are going to look fairly similar because (1) their heads are often postured in the same way and (2) they don't have noses, like FFTA, which makes their faces look less complete. Honestly, there isn't that much Square art for either game, so I don't see why how any of the characters' (in either game) matters that much. Their features are all in-character, to me.

Monster Hunt
03-24-2006, 08:04 AM
I just said I didn't. That's why I don't think it's crap- infact I think it would be great. Unfortunately I'm not an playstation fan but that's another thing...