PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Warrior 8

Lawr
08-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Dragon Warrior 8 Trailer (http://www.dragonquest8.com/)

This game is the best Akira Toriyama <sp? game ever!
You use some hero with a bandana and a big coat,
he resembles Serge! You have another ally, a magician,
somewhat resembling the girls in Dragon Warrior 7
(forgot her name) and another swordsman who resembles
Keifer from DW 7 also. You have a special transformation
similar to trance and when you use it with the main character
he looks just like SS2 Adult Gohan only with pink/purple hair!

This game will be the ultimate Dragon Warrior game on the
planet!

Whew, hyper!

Black Mage
08-31-2005, 11:17 PM
It'll definitely be the best looking one.

I don't know if it can beat the others in substance or not. I'll reserve that judgement until I play it, in November.

Lawr
08-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Yeah. Same here too but it looks much
more fun than 7 its too hard too beat
'The Almighty One' or God

Captain Maxx Power
08-31-2005, 11:50 PM
Either the site is reffering to reality TV or the Dargon Warrior games.

bipper
09-01-2005, 12:10 AM
Akira Toriyama is getting on my nerves.

The hero looks like gohan, teh other dude looks like trunks, and the chick looks like bulma. I wish i could draw a handfull or characters and be considered great :D

I could have swarn I seen someone got super saiyan in there too...

recycled...

edit: That sounded meaner than I wanted it too :) But does anyone else see all the resemblances between all of his character designs?

The game does look sweet though; either way :p
Bipper

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-01-2005, 05:51 AM
It's Dragon Quest everywhere now. "Dragon Warrior" is a dead label.

Captain Maxx Power
09-01-2005, 04:59 PM
It's Dragon Quest everywhere now. "Dragon Warrior" is a dead label.

Der Dargon Quest doesn't have the same jazz to it.

bipper
09-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I must agree... dragon warrior sounds a lot cooler.
Dragon quest .. is just.. bleh...

Bipper

black orb
09-01-2005, 08:46 PM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/dq8502.jpg :love:

DJZen
09-01-2005, 09:27 PM
Visiually it's SORTA similar to DBZ, but that's to be expected. Anyway, I've played a demo of it, and it seems VERY solid. Classic DQ gameplay + more eye candy. It's DQ's FFVII. At least, it MIGHT be, I hope people actually bother picking it up and playing it. But they probably won't.

Also, the "swordsman who looks like Keifer" is named Angelo, the "magician who resembles the girls from DW VII" is named Jessica, and the "hero who looks like Serge" is the hero who, like all DQ heroes, does not have a name.

Lawr
09-02-2005, 04:05 AM
Where did you find that demo? I have been
looking all over. (Why didn't I try eBay?)

bipper
09-02-2005, 05:19 AM
I think i will pick this up as well. I love dbz, so it being a medival themed dragonball lookalike is a good thing for me!

Great SSj pick by the way. Way to be Black Orb :) SSJ level 2 Gohan all the way.

Bipper

DJZen
09-08-2005, 02:39 AM
I played the demo at a mall tour. Me and another old schooler hung out with this awesome girl who was promoting it but didn't really play games. Don't bother looking for it. Of course, this really isn't a good promotion strategy. They SHOULD include a free demo in specially marked boxes of rice crispies, corn flakes, cheerios, pizza, popcorn, chinese food, and cracker jacks, just like they did with FFVII. THAT would make pre-orders happen.

Sephiroths Clone
09-08-2005, 08:13 PM
I think the artist guy for DBZ is doing the character models for this game so its kinda obvious they would look like DBZ characters. I read this in GameInformer i think.

Vyk
09-08-2005, 11:23 PM
That's Akira Toriyama. Famed for Dragon Ball and DBZ. He's always done art for Dragon Quest. And he did the characters in Chrono Trigger as well. And I'm sure he has a few other things up his belt as well :D

cookieface
09-09-2005, 12:14 AM
It's just like FF, the classics here are the best. That's my opinion. And I wish they had kept the Dragon Warrior name, for the sake of continuity. They also should have named FFVII, to FFIV. But I guess Americans are just idiots who wouldn't really care. I wonder when Rockman 0 XYZ 35 will be coming to the local Best Buy. Soon, I hope.

This game is probably a little fun, but I can't stand the PS2 any longer, with all the stagnation. I feel like I'm wasting my time when playing it, unless I was playing like SNK v. Capcom 2 with my friend, or something like that. Dragon Warrrior, I mean QUEST 8, has probably a cool story, but it just screams trendy fanservice whoredom. Just look at that girl, as bipper cleared it up, Bulma, she has no modesty? At least Tifa covered them up. And we just gotta love a game with "pafu pafu" in it. I don't like cell shaded 3d, it doesn't look anywhere near like drawn animation. I don't care what the crazies say.

DJZen
09-09-2005, 02:41 AM
Uhhh.... Dragon Quest has ALWAYS had sexual content, it was just censored out of the American versions. Also, the "girl who's totally Bulma" has a stat called "sex appeal". Best not to ask. The gameplay is really tight though. The WORST part is that they changed the spell names around, they're REALLY stupid now. I can look past that, but many can't.

cookieface
09-09-2005, 05:18 AM
Yea but, except there were no 3d characters clearing it all up in the old games. I'm not talking about the stuff in the script. Besides, DQ8 goes out of it's way to present that female character as the lead, in covers and illustrations. I have played at least a bit of every DQ game ever made. DQ7 didn't intrest me enough to try, PSX graphics 3d. Actually, I'm in the process of playing DQ6, but after killing Mudo, it gets really open ended and I lost interest, though I'll probably get back to it. But still, the fanservice in DQ8 and in it's marketing is very obvious. That probably doesn't make it a bad game, but it seems like a cheesy move for this kind of game. That's one of the things nailed the coffin of FF in my view. What's so important about licking Yuna ass-sweat? :rolleyes2

bipper
09-10-2005, 06:33 AM
As for people who are saying "Duh, DBZ and DQ are gonna look the same, its the same artist. Well, honestly I think a character artist should be able to spit out different character looks when hopping genres and mediums.

Crono Trigger was very DBZish, but this is a damn DBZ clone. Thats all I am saying :) I can see it now, your pary member dies - and you have to go around looking for 7 mystical balls....

I am dogging it out of love though :D

Bipper

Kawaii Ryűkishi
09-10-2005, 06:57 AM
These characters would look very out of place in Dragon Ball. The settings are completely different.

bipper
09-10-2005, 08:21 PM
Yes, I am not saying you could throw them into DBZ and not care; I am just saying thier faces and body structures look exaclty like DBZ characters.

Vyk
09-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Its all in the style. Granted not a very versitile style. But I usually say similar things about lots of Japanese artists, especially entertainment ones. Anime/Video games. Miyazaki's work all looks similar, can spot his touch easily. Same with Amano. Same with Toriyama. And quite a few others I could name, but not sure if anyone'd recognize the names.

Destai
09-11-2005, 05:49 PM

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y156/rodv/dq8502.jpg :love:Thats ridiculous.

DJZen
09-16-2005, 01:15 AM
OMG CT CHARAS WERE ALL RIPOFFS OF DBZ CHARAS WTFBBQ!!!!!!111

bipper
09-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Naw, I think Chrono trigger characters looked different enough. While you could tell similaraties.

This game looks VERY close to DBZ; the characters look like you can throw their faces in a DBZ cartoon, and few would tell any difference. The SSJ 2 Gohan holding a sword and shield gives that away. For it being a rip off, I would say that it just looks the same, as far as I know.

Who knows, the game could be very good - I will prolly just name the characters Sir Gohan, Lady Bulma, and King Trunks so that my feeble little mind does not get too confused.

I don't see why your so upset.

DJZen
09-16-2005, 09:27 PM
I'm not upset, just sarcastic.